Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Callers....!

Options
  • 28-10-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

In the past 24 hours I have had Sky, Eircom and the Cancer Society knock on my door. I dont sign up for anything on my doorstep and thats the first thing I say to these people. They go into their selling mode and when I cut them off they look disgusted. Eh, you knocked on my door I didnt invite you here! I understand that they have a job to do but I'm getting sick of it.

I dont really want to put a "No Soliciting" sign up as I would have to put it across a glass window and do they work?

The vast majority of the time I'm polite but when I'm busy I tend not to answer the door if I see its a cold caller but they just come back later in the day.

Whats the best thing to do/say to get rid of them?!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I usually tell them I just signed a contract with a competitor so am locked in for a year so that usually stops them in their tracks, although Eirtricity told me I couldn't be one time. Another one is that I say I'm just a tenant and don't look after things like that, that has a 100% success rate, both at the door and on the phone. They'll ask can they call back and I just give them an unreasonable time when I know they'll either be out of the area or none of us are at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

tskk wrote: »

I dont really want to put a "No Soliciting" sign up as I would have to put it across a glass window and do they work?
    actually they do work. we've got one up on our door and with the exception of kids looking to sell lines and the odd traveller that cant read everyone else stays away. works wonders in fact not one person canvassing in the local elections knocked either ,boy i would've loved to get stuck into these guys :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I just tell em I'm already with them... gets them away pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The most annoying for me is those "charity" clothes collection stickers that clearly aren't for charity. We get an average of 2-3 a week all summer. I feel like finding the van and putting these stickers all over it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The most annoying for me is those "charity" clothes collection stickers that clearly aren't for charity. We get an average of 2-3 a week all summer. I feel like finding the van and putting these stickers all over it.

What really bugs me about those guys is the way they sneak around at all hours of the morning. I leave for work before 7am and I'll often find their crap in the hall when I come down the stairs. Although lately they're getting lazy and aren't arsed putting them through the letterbox, preferring to just dump them on the doorstep. One morning last winter I almost walked into one of them in the driveway. It was dark and neither of us knew the other was there. I'm not sure who got the bigger fright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

January wrote: »
    I just tell em I'm already with them... gets them away pretty quickly!

Yep. I did this for a short while and that's the best thing to do. Pleasantly tell them there was someone in the area the other day and you're getting it delivered. Otherwise they'll look for a dish. Then, if they try and get you to cancel that and sign with them for their commission (some hungry pricks do that), slam the door in their face. You've been reasonable with them and they've no excuse to bother you so you've every right.

Zaph wrote: »
    What really bugs me about those guys is the way they sneak around at all hours of the morning. I leave for work before 7am and I'll often find their crap in the hall when I come down the stairs. Although lately they're getting lazy and aren't arsed putting them through the letterbox, preferring to just dump them on the doorstep. One morning last winter I almost walked into one of them in the driveway. It was dark and neither of us knew the other was there. I'm not sure who got the bigger fright.

Haha, snap! I used to be out the door at a similar hour in the morning and I met this (pardon the language, but you'll get the picture) scrote on my driveway. But for the fact he had the stickers in his hand I would have thought he was about to rob the place. If I had my wits about me more I might have quizzed him on the "charity" he was representing, but in hindsight I think its better not to get into an argument with people who know where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There were rumours earlier in the year that these stickers were just cover for illegal activity, people checking doors to see if they were locked or if houses look empty. The charities are usually bogus anyway so may be some truth in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

athtrasna wrote: »
    There were rumours earlier in the year that these stickers were just cover for illegal activity, people checking doors to see if they were locked or if houses look empty. The charities are usually bogus anyway so may be some truth in it

+1 - they also see if your not home on occasion. Beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mustang68

Anyone who calls to the door trying to sell you home services, just tell them that you are moving. They will have no more follow on questions and will walk away.

• Advertisement

mustang68 wrote: »
    Anyone who calls to the door trying to sell you home services, just tell them that you are moving. They will have no more follow on questions and will walk away.

Just tell them you're on your way out to an autopsy. Not only will they not have further questions, but they'll be creeped out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

mustang68 wrote: »

"No problem sir. The bad news is that the offers I have will probably expire by the time you've moved. The good news is that I can sign you up for a cheaper, better quality television service than you're on already for your new home so you don't have to worry about calling us up and going through that whole ordeal when you move in!"

:p

Advertisement