Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's do the math for iPhone 4S on all networks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

150MB data cap from o2 - is that a joke?!
    The 2 big providers are really putting 2 fingers up to the public at this stage. Blatant screwing of customers. As a recent poster rightly pointed out, with message apps that tap into your online allowance such as eirtext and the imessage for ios5, text bundle popularity will reduce. Its all about the data ! ( and those fckrs know it )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

dodzy wrote: »
    The 2 big providers are really putting 2 fingers up to the public at this stage. Blatant screwing of customers. As a recent poster rightly pointed out, with message apps that tap into your online allowance such as eirtext and the imessage for ios5, text bundle popularity will reduce. Its all about the data ! ( and those fckrs know it )

Quite, though I think if you can hit 500MB of iMessage messages in a month, you'll wear a hole in your screen.

I have to say, the grass is looking pretty green on Vodafone right now. I've had 500MB on O2 for a year or so now, and have never broken it, but 150MB is absurd and insulting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Aquos76, whats the name of the plan you are on? :)
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    The plan is the "friends and family discount" I dont think its any thing to do with been an eircom customer, I think the plan is only available through Eircom employees.

its a family and friends off from Eircom/Meteor/eMobile employees to pass on to family and friends. Its a 50% discount off your bill for 18 months minimum or as long as that person who recommended you, stays employed by the eircome group. if the person leaves before the 18 months, then you will get the 18 months at a discount, and it will stop after that.

but of the employee stays within the Eircom group, you continue to get the discount.

They bring out different offers all the time, i got a Meteor one a year or so ago, free HTC Wildfire and 400min, 400SMS, 2GB, Free Met-Met calls and texts for 25e per month, but sold the wildfire as i had my iPhone already with them.

You cannot use your eircom account line discount with the family offer, its either one or the other.

i only signed up my dad last week for an iPhone 4 16gb for 149e, and he gets unlimited calls, texts and 15gb per month for 34.50.
    the family offer expired on the 30th Oct, but then eMobile extended it and included the 4S on the offer, wish i waited now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Thanks - just cancelled my Apple order for the eMobile 100+data package.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 alexboard

Great to see someone went through the bother of doing the maths, but service is what you want and what you pay for in the end.

If any of you think you want to move to Three, then STOP and read this before you do anything else.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75157495#post75157495

Most of the time you are on a GPRS network with data speeds that will bring you back 10 years back, anyone remembers WAP ???? Dats wot it feels like most of time, poor coverage on a Roaming 2G network, that's wot you get on Three and you get it A LOT!

Folks, if any of you know a way to warn folks, let me know, posts, facebook pages, tweets, let's get the word out, I am stuck with them but let's not them fool anymore smartphone users into their sub-standard 1990's network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭podge018

I'm with 3, live in Dublin 11 and work in Dublin 2 and I'm rarely, if ever, without 3.5G, it drops to 3G in places, it's fine. Seen it maybe twice on 2G in 7 months and yes it was slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Can anyone explain a 30 Day Sim to me? Most providers give a 30 Day Sim contract for cheaper than a 12 Month contract, along with a cheap iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dman001 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain a 30 Day Sim to me? Most providers give a 30 Day Sim contract for cheaper than a 12 Month contract, along with a cheap iPhone.

They shouldn't do that, as it's a sim only contract. No phone is sold with it.

So if you've heard about it going on, someone was mistaken, or if you've seen it going on its against regulations and the store should be reported.

They shouldn't do that, as it's a sim only contract. No phone is sold with it.

So if you've heard about it going on, someone was mistaken, or if you've seen it going on its against regulations and the store should be reported.
    Actually I just totally misread the eMobile website. eMobile definitely offer the best value for the iPhone anyway, and much more choice for consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

alexboard wrote: »
    Great to see someone went through the bother of doing the maths, but service is what you want and what you pay for in the end.

If any of you think you want to move to Three, then STOP and read this before you do anything else.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75157495#post75157495

Most of the time you are on a GPRS network with data speeds that will bring you back 10 years back, anyone remembers WAP ???? Dats wot it feels like most of time, poor coverage on a Roaming 2G network, that's wot you get on Three and you get it A LOT!

Folks, if any of you know a way to warn folks, let me know, posts, facebook pages, tweets, let's get the word out, I am stuck with them but let's not them fool anymore smartphone users into their sub-standard 1990's network

Is this still an issue on the 4S?

I've had a 4 on the Three network for over a year and never had as much problems as mentioned in that thread - better way to get back on the 3G network is NOT to go via airplane mode but to go to manual network select, choose 3G and then hit auto network select and 3G is back; might take 30 seconds to do but it works and it sticks

edit: and I think I'll stick with them when I get the 4S due to the deals they have, seems to be the best value for the texts, calls and data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭silverfairy

kceire,
    Thanks for clearing that up; I was a bit confused. So essentially you only get this discount if one of your family/friends works for Eircom/Meteor/emobile. I thought it was if you knew someone who had an eircom landline. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, before I went in to emobile and made a show of myself! Now, I'll have to try ask around and see if anyone I know works for any of the above. Thanks again.
    kceire wrote: »
    its a family and friends off from Eircom/Meteor/eMobile employees to pass on to family and friends. Its a 50% discount off your bill for 18 months minimum or as long as that person who recommended you, stays employed by the eircome group. if the person leaves before the 18 months, then you will get the 18 months at a discount, and it will stop after that.

but of the employee stays within the Eircom group, you continue to get the discount.

They bring out different offers all the time, i got a Meteor one a year or so ago, free HTC Wildfire and 400min, 400SMS, 2GB, Free Met-Met calls and texts for 25e per month, but sold the wildfire as i had my iPhone already with them.

You cannot use your eircom account line discount with the family offer, its either one or the other.

i only signed up my dad last week for an iPhone 4 16gb for 149e, and he gets unlimited calls, texts and 15gb per month for 34.50.
    the family offer expired on the 30th Oct, but then eMobile extended it and included the 4S on the offer, wish i waited now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

If you don't fancy a 12, 18 or 24 month contract, and have the cash up front, how about ordering the phone from Apple and going with Tesco mobile SIM free

300mins, 300txt, 500mb data = €20/month
    500mins, 500text, 1gb data = €30/month

Seems be a reasonable deal for the money, good as the rest anyway. They use O2 infrastructure to deliver coverage, and you can sell your phone whenever you want. iPhone 5 anyone? ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

johndoc wrote: »
    If you don't fancy a 12, 18 or 24 month contract, and have the cash up front, how about ordering the phone from Apple and going with Tesco mobile SIM free

Seems be a reasonable deal for the money, good as the rest anyway. They use O2 infrastructure to deliver coverage, and you can sell your phone whenever you want. iPhone 5 anyone? ;)

My contract is up with 3 in January, and I think I'll go on the Tesco sim-free €30 pm plan. I never get near 1GB data with 3 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

This is what I have decided to go with. Just ordered the phone from Apple - estimated delivery 14th - 21st November.
    The €30 pm sim only plan was too good to pass up - currently getting 150 mins, 150 texts, and 2GB data with Vodafone, for €45 per month (only ever seem to use 300 MB because of wifi access). However if I upgraded with them and stayed with my current plan, my data would be reduced to 1GB, and the phone would have cost €419.
    If I went with MyWay complete, 500 mins, 500 texts and 1GB data would have been €65 pm.
    I am stuck with choosing between 02 and Vodafone due to coverage issues where I live, so Tesco mobile will hopefully be OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Here's what I assembled, it's a partial list based on the tariffs I'm interested in. I've based the cost comparison metric on the 24-month cost of ownership as this is the standard length of contract. This includes the handset cost and monthly cost.

Some options are to purchase the phone from apple.ie and then go SIM-only with a network.

Feel free to add/edit.

Supplier/Package Handset Cost Tariff per month Length contract Mins/month Texts/month Data/month 24 Month cost ownership
    Vodafone My Way Complete 18 129 65 18 500 500 1 1689
    Vodafone My Way Complete 24 49 65 24 500 500 1 1609
    Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus 300 269 60 18 300 300 2 1709
    Vodafone My Way 18mth 269 52 18 100 100 1 1517
    Vodafone My Way 24mth 169 52 24 100 100 1 1417

Meteor 0 45 24 200 200 5 1080
    Meteor 0 60 24 400 400 5 1440
    Meteor 0 80 24 Unlimited Unlimited 5 1920

apple.ie + 3 Classic FlexMax SIM only 599 30 1 350FLEXI 350FLEXI Infinite 1319
    apple.ie + 3 Super FlexMax SIM only 599 50 1 650FLEXI 650FLEXI Infinite 1799
    3 Classic FlexMax 239 40 18 350FLEXI 350FLEXI Infinite 1199
    3 Super FlexMax 189 60 18 650FLEXI 650FLEXI Infinite 1629
    3 Mega FlexMax 139 80 18 1000FLEXI 1000FLEXI Infinite 2059
    3 Classic FlexMax 139 40 24 350FLEXI 350FLEXI Infinite 1099
    3 Super FlexMax 69 60 24 650FLEXI 650FLEXI Infinite 1509
    3 Mega FlexMax 39 80 24 1000FLEXI 1000FLEXI Infinite 1959

O2 All In 250 199 40 18 250 250 150MB 1159
    O2 All In 400 149 60 18 400 400 700MB 1589

eMobile Select Smart Unlimited 0 79 24 Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited 1896
    eMobile Select Smart 300 0 59 24 300 300 3 1416
    eMobile Select 300 299 44 18 300 300 2 1355

apple.ie + Tescomobile SIM only 599 30 1 500 500 1 1319

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

is the meteor 24 month contract at 45 p/m a good deal? I rarely text at all and my calls are usually pretty short?

Other option I am looking at is getting an unlocked phone and just doing what Biko said and getting a 3pay sim with all you can eat data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anyone have the price for a 32GB on the Bill pay smart plans?

Meteor are useless for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

hmm

I pay €40 a month I get 400 min and 400 text + 500mb data with Vodafone
    +€599 for 16gb iphone

€720+€599 for 18 month contract = €1319
    which is €121 cheaper then "Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus 300"

plus you get an extra 100 mins every month.

Not to mention the fact that your phone is unlocked and you can buy a new one when the iPhone 5/6 comes out and you can leave any time you want. I really don't understand why people go with the network deals. The deliberative charge more for iPhone deals because of the popularity of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Does tesco mobile allow tethering?

3's PAYG deal seems better to me. Top-up by €20, get free texts to any network, free calls on the weekends to any network, free anytime calls to 3, Unlimited Data and a tenner free credit at the end of each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Not surprised, seeing as they weren't exactly broadcasting it with their deal. I assume existing customers are still getting it? I got it free this month anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I took an upgrade on the Three website:

€40 per month on 18 month contract.
    350 flexi units, 150 Evening and weekend calls and 15Gb data.
    Free 16gb white 4s.

€40*18=€720
    4S=€599
    18 months phone service €121.

Ordered on Sunday and the phone was delivered yesterday!

Pretty happy with that I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

I took an upgrade on the Three website:

€40 per month on 18 month contract.
    350 flexi units, 150 Evening and weekend calls and 15Gb data.
    Free 16gb white 4s.

€40*18=€720
    4S=€599
    18 months phone service €121.

Ordered on Sunday and the phone was delivered yesterday!

Pretty happy with that I have to say.

On the website, this deal costs €239 for the phone. How did you manage getting it for free? Even the iPhone 4 costs €89 on it.

Were you a previous Three customer and what was your average monthly spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

marathonic wrote: »
    On the website, this deal costs €239 for the phone. How did you manage getting it for free? Even the iPhone 4 costs €89 on it.

Were you a previous Three customer and what was your average monthly spend?

I was a Three customer since launch day for the iP4. Started on the €60 a month package but went down to the €40 pack after 12 months when they allowed me to.

Saw a post on the talk to Three forum where someone else said they got the same deal so I tried it myself and thats what I got.

Here's the details from the email:
    Device: iPhone 4S 16GB White 18/24 month
    Device cost: EUR 0.00
    Admin charge: EUR 0.00
    Price plan: Classic Flex - Max
    Monthly Line Rental EUR 40.00
    18 Month Contract
    Promotional Discounts: No promotional discounts apply
    Add Ons: Down Time Calls - Freebie EUR 0.00
    Internet Max EUR 0.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

how much is the 32gb 4S on vodafone my way (24mth)? Like the cost of the phone itself. cant get it on the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ward670 wrote: »
    how much is the 32gb 4S on vodafone my way (24mth)? Like the cost of the phone itself. cant get it on the site
    That plan youre refering to is extortionate, along with the 18mth plan. 100 mins / texts....... Shocking:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was a Three customer since launch day for the iP4. Started on the €60 a month package but went down to the €40 pack after 12 months when they allowed me to.

Saw a post on the talk to Three forum where someone else said they got the same deal so I tried it myself and thats what I got.

Here's the details from the email:
    Device: iPhone 4S 16GB White 18/24 month
    Device cost: EUR 0.00
    Admin charge: EUR 0.00
    Price plan: Classic Flex - Max
    Monthly Line Rental EUR 40.00
    18 Month Contract
    Promotional Discounts: No promotional discounts apply
    Add Ons: Down Time Calls - Freebie EUR 0.00
    Internet Max EUR 0.00

How did you get that? Did you just ring and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

Someone please help me decide whether to go bill pay or pay as you go with the iphone 4s as this is driving me nuts....

At the moment Im pay as you go with meteor, i spend €20 a month, free meteor to meteor calls and texts and free internet. All my friends/family are meteor.

Should I buy the iphone pay as you go (think its €579) or go bill pay with one of the plans as I'll get the phone free?! Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

The plans for each provider are on their websites - if you go on, you can work out the cheapest plan for you (taking everything into account).

I spent an hour doing it last weekend, and it was clear to me which plan I should get. Just depends on what you want to use your phone for.

Advertisement