Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be honest with me! Would I be wasting my time?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 4:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

I have a bit of a hobby in taking photographs and have produced some pictures of Drogheda.
    A few people have said I should frame them and sell them - but I don't know, honestly.
    Would the likes of the following sell around the Drogheda area? I have photo's in the same old postcard vintage style of outside Drogheda, Slane, etc...

Would I be wasting my time? Does anyone think there would be a demand?
    Could they sell is what I'm really wondering...?

Work Example: Drogheda Train station.

droghedatrainstationlar.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

best moving this to the photography forum for critique.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    best moving this to the photography forum for critique.

They are specific to the Drogheda area (in which I live).
    I'm just wonder would they be of any interest locally? Does anyone think they might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Maybe list one on adverts.ie with a price you would be willing to sell it for.
    That would be a good indicator as to whether there is any interest.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Maybe list one on adverts.ie with a price you would be willing to sell it for.
    That would be a good indicator as to whether there is any interest.

Good idea! Thanks for that!

halloween2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Maybe frame a couple and bring them along to places like the tourist office, homeflair, newgrange visitor centre, wogans etc?
    They might agree to stock one as an example of your work and let you know of any potential interest.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Biggins I think I've seen your photos before with that same effect on them and some are quite good. Get some printed (properly) and framed and I think you could definitely sell some locally.

What is the effect you applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

You should make that copyright a brighter colour, it almost blends in with the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Dunny! wrote: »
    You should make that copyright a brighter colour, it almost blends in with the pic.

I would agree. The photo is great, the grainy after effects work well.
    But it wouldnt hurt if you were to make it a little brighter, possibly tone down the edged haze too.

Although, if you make it photo brighter overall the haze could stand out more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Craft/book shops might sell them for you over christmas

furiousox wrote: »
    Maybe frame a couple and bring them along to places like the tourist office, homeflair, newgrange visitor centre, wogans etc?
    They might agree to stock one as an example of your work and let you know of any potential interest.
    Great ideas there.
    Scotty # wrote: »
    Biggins I think I've seen your photos before with that same effect on them and some are quite good. Get some printed (properly) and framed and I think you could definitely sell some locally.
    What is the effect you applying?
    Its a combination of HDR effect and other inbuilt level changes and effects in Photoshop.
    Dunny! wrote: »
    The copyright (my name really) on anything I sold would be better done and less intrusive more so. Shoved in the usual corner somewhere.
    CMpunked wrote: »
    I would agree. The photo is great, the grainy after effects work well.
    But it wouldnt hurt if you were to make it a little brighter, possibly tone down the edged haze too.
    Although, if you make it photo brighter overall the haze could stand out more. :)
    Thanks, will try that too - depending on the content each picture has to be adjusted to possible best effect.

Here is one I did quickly of "The Glen" in Drogheda...

p1160440ver1wl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ei8dqb

It is generally accepted that a white watermarks work best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Discover flickr. Plenty of amateurs and pros doing a lot of drogheda. Met a lad on Stephens Green who did the entire North East.

MugMugs wrote: »
    ...Met a lad on Stephens Green who did the entire North East.

Goodness! He must have had a lot of spare time to do all that! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I would advise that you get a couple of your best ones framed, then take them to a couple of cafe's and ask if you can display them on the walls and pay them a cut if any sell. Also restaraunts, people like to see pictures on the walls, also the establishments dont have to buy them and they get changed reguarly, free. :)

Honestly, Biggins, in my experience, you'd be wasting your time, unless you get the printing and framing done at an amazingly low cost, so you can sell them dirt cheap.

I don't think anyone really cares about 'fine art' photography anymore. Most of the people I know that buy general landscape shots and such have bought them in the market, with "2 for €10" type deals, or out of Argos.

There's no real money to be made, especially when you take into consideration the amount of effort involved on your part.

That said, if you never try, you never know. There's usually a fair few exhibitions on around the town, but I don't know what the sale rate is like (if the photographers sell lots of photos or none at all). If i were you I'd take a trip out to the tea rooms at oldbridge house, the Barbican, the Library, Laurence centre, Highlanes Gallery, etc. and any other places that usually have exhibitions, and see what other people are doing (are they selling prints alone? framed? mounted? What kind of prices, etc.) so at least you'll have an idea where to start.

Cafes and such might work (though realistically, who goes to buy a cup of coffee and ends up with a photograph?) but I doubt you'd have any luck with the tourist office. Between the Local Heroes photo competition taking people's photographs and other photographers already being quite friendly with the tourist office (not to mention i'm sure you'd need to be self-employed and provide such information), i don't think you'd have a leg to stand on.

Best advice in my opinion would be to get a hard neck and a table. Set up on west street when they have that little market stall fair thing on on Thursdays, and then set up at the market on saturday mornings. The issue you face here is that you're against people with rock bottom prices and dodgy gear, so...

Either that, or get your camera bag, and a return ticket to dublin. Spend all day walking around taking photos, edit them etc and then do everything you want in Dublin. Many more people around the place in dublin, so higher chance of selling something (just an idea). It's only an hour away, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Biggins wrote: »
    I have a bit of a hobby in taking photographs and have produced some pictures of Drogheda.
    A few people have said I should frame them and sell them - but I don't know, honestly.
    Would the likes of the following sell around the Drogheda area? I have photo's in the same old postcard vintage style of outside Drogheda, Slane, etc...

Would I be wasting my time? Does anyone think there would be a demand?
    Could they sell is what I'm really wondering...?

Work Example: Drogheda Train station.

droghedatrainstationlar.jpg

Try newirishart.com
    I have sold a few pieces on there.
    Click on the link below for more details. They also have a facebook group.
    http://www.newirishart.com/NewsLetter/LatestNews.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Can you leave a couple in the frameing shops in drogheda and offer them commission on sales.... There frames. There shops there time. You win.

The only thing is there commission is going to be high.

Advertisement