Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop issue with Tesco

Options
  • 28-10-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Purchased a toshiba laptop with tesco and after using it for a week cursor started freezing and it was getting very frustating to use also realised didnt particulary like the laptop went to bring it back to tescos and told them the issue turns out they wont issue refunds for laptops was appaled by this they said you have to get in touch with toshiba and get it repaired didnt find the customer service particulary helpful. Just wondering is this legal to be able to deny a refund on a product any info would be gratefully appreciated cheers ideally Id like to get a refund and purchase a different laptop. It cost 329 euros.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

It's not illegal to refuse a refund.
    It is illegal for them to refuse to deal directly with you.

They should handle the repair for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They have to offer you one of the 3 Rs - Refund, Replacement or Repair. There is no preference as to which one - so the offer of a repair is correct.

But, they are person with whom you have the contract, and they should be the ones organising the repair. However, you also have to balance the fact that it may be more efficient to deal with Toshiba directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Right just thought there might be a way to be refunded the money I suppose I'll just have to get it repaired so...

Not in this situation, it's more than likely a software issue so it should be easy enough to fix. It may require setting it back to factory defaults.

If the repair is unsuccessful you would have a stronger case for a refund but may need to take it to the scc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just a note on dealing with Toshiba.

I bought a laptop in the uk and after a year the power adapter packed up and i had thrown out the receipt.

I rang them and they could see when it left the factory. They told me to bin the faulty lead and fedex arrived three days later with a new one from Germany !:)

Tesco are obliged to sort it, but I would ring Toshiba directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seriously what Tesco was that?

Ring Toshiba, go through the trouble shooting and get them to verify there is a fault.

Go back into Tesco, ask for the duty manager and hand them the box and all its contents and the receipt and get a refund. Was it only a week ago when you bought it?

Tell the duty manager Toshiba have verified it is manufacturing fault.

Don't mention, wanting to buy a new one etc, just say its faulty and you want your money back, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

When i worked for harvey norman we would change it within 28 days providing it was a hardware fault and no signs of physical damage. I reckon this is a fair way to do things.

Oh and I dont think you have any right for a refund if you dont like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    When i worked for harvey norman we would change it within 28 days providing it was a hardware fault and no signs of physical damage. I reckon this is a fair way to do things.

Oh and I dont think you have any right for a refund if you dont like it

If it's faulty your entitled to your three R's for up too two years under EU and up to 6 under Irish law, as the Irish Statue dose not specify a time line.

EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC. Page 7

'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html

Your right, if you don't like it then your not entitled to a refund.

But if it is genuinely faulty, do what this guy did...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056157719&page=2

I only know about this directive from reading about it on this site and someone used it too get there product either repaired/refunded I can't see a product been replaced after 2 years.

As for Tesco, that is not there policy.

Firstly there's the no quibble. You asked for a refund, you should have been given one.

As for dealing with the maker of the laptop, Tesco should be doing the dealing.

Someone said ring the maker of the laptop yourself, this is a good idea. If that store is so clueless about dealing with it's own polices not to mention consumer law, I wouldn't want them attempting to send of the laptop. Cause we all know it wouldn't leave the store.

If your not happy with this. Contact Tesco head office.

If your not happy with the way the store handled it, I would firstly print of the law on the matter and print off there polices and go into store and ask to see the store manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

msg11 wrote: »
    If it's faulty your entitled to your three R's for up too two years under EU and up to 6 under Irish law, as the Irish Statue dose not specify a time line.

EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC. Page 7

'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html

Your right, if you don't like it then your not entitled to a refund.

But if it is genuinely faulty, do what this guy did...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056157719&page=2

That guy had a 2 year old laptop and he got a refund through the SCC.
    This is totally different, the laptop is less than a month old and the customer wants a refund.

I only know about this directive from reading about it on this site and someone used it too get there product either repaired/refunded I can't see a product been replaced after 2 years.

As for Tesco, that is not there policy.

Firstly there's the no quibble. You asked for a refund, you should have been given one. That guarantee refers to the price no Quibble policy, nothing to do with faulty items. The policy for faulty items is printed on the wallet the customers receipt was put in.

As for dealing with the maker of the laptop, Tesco should be doing the dealing.

Someone said ring the maker of the laptop yourself, this is a good idea. If that store is so clueless about dealing with it's own polices not to mention consumer law, I wouldn't want them attempting to send of the laptop. Cause we all know it wouldn't leave the store. Customer laptop returns are handled from the customers house by courier.

If your not happy with this. Contact Tesco head office. To be honest they will just get the hardware manager to call the customer.

If your not happy with the way the store handled it, I would firstly print of the law on the matter and print off there polices and go into store and ask to see the store manager.

OP, can you confirm the laptop is less than a month old (as referred to in you first post), it has no physical damage, and you have proof of purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The no quibble policy covers more than just pricing errors, it just isn't stated on the wall. Well at leased in the store I work in, if the customer wants a refund and it's all within reason they will get one.

Products can be taking in by the store if the manager knows what they are doing.

Also regarding my posting of the two year EU directive, was when people say the store isn't responsible after 28days, they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is it the 3r's at the shops discretion? A software fault is 9 times out of 10 the consumers fault (virus, wrong setup) thats not manufacturers prob. But yeah if its like a week old and the hdd or mobo goes id at least expect a replacement. Outside of a month or so I reckon repair is justifiable as alot of knocks, bangs etc can happen in a month. Unless manufacturers find liquid or a big lump taken out of it they will generally fix it even if the consumer made the problem.

I agree that especially with electronics there should be no change of mind policy if the products box has been opened. What would stop me going to a shop, buying a laptop, using it to do a job and returning it the next day. Fair is fair like. But if your computer was faulty after a couple of weeks id be expecting a new one

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is it the 3r's at the shops discretion?

it must be agreed between both parties. they cannot force you to take a repair so you can choose to challenge them in the SCC.
    a judge/registrar may take your side given the short life of the unit but it is not guaranteed - they may still order you to accept the repair.

Advertisement