Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to delete the "Copy of itunes" folder?

Options
  • 28-10-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

The folder seems to be a duplicate of my music in my itunes - what is this folder "copy of itunes" all about ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I don't know anything about itunes (site) but it looks like it might be an automatic back up folder, if....... so I would keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's an equivalent 70 gig as what's in my itunes, I could do with the space back. Any itunes experts there? :)

Im bumping this thread as itunes is really bugging now.

For some reason it's gone and quadruplicated the songs in my itunes taking up a lot of space on my ipod - don't ask me how or why.

Say I go into an album in my itunes every song on the album has 4 copies of each track, in order to clear 3 of each track I have to highlight them, then right click to delete them, it then asks am I sure I want to remove them, I say yes, and then it asks three things "Cancel" "move to recycle bin" or "keep files".

I have to opt to keep files as I moved these additional files to the recycle bin before and it removed the whole album on me.

HELP !!!!!

Why have they quadruplicated ??

• Registered Users Posts: 54,373 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what file type are the copies?

Headshot wrote: »
    what file type are the copies?

MPEG audio file (or so it says when I go to the track and "get info")

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    MPEG audio file (or so it says when I go to the track and "get info")

I was thinking that you some how converted them to mp3

Im wondering do you have any other programs like itunes example windows media player that stores music and your storing all the music in the same folder as itunes?

I was thinking that you some how converted them to mp3

Im wondering do you have any other programs like itunes example windows media player that stores music and your storing all the music in the same folder as itunes?

No, have always just been using itunes, just looked at one album there that had quadruplicates and then just looked at my ipod and infact they weren't duplicated on my ipod but yet show on my itunes on my pc as quadruplicates.

Grr

Now I dont know much about Itunes but maybe your backing up your ipod music and as a result causes multiple duplicates

Now I dont know much about Itunes but maybe your backing up your ipod music and as a result causes multiple duplicates

And how would I find out if I am? Thanks for help so far

preference and then device backups

edit found this

http://www.imore.com/how-find-and-delete-duplicate-songs-itunes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Im bumping this thread as itunes is really bugging now.

For some reason it's gone and quadruplicated the songs in my itunes taking up a lot of space on my ipod - don't ask me how or why.

Say I go into an album in my itunes every song on the album has 4 copies of each track, in order to clear 3 of each track I have to highlight them, then right click to delete them, it then asks am I sure I want to remove them, I say yes, and then it asks three things "Cancel" "move to recycle bin" or "keep files".

I have to opt to keep files as I moved these additional files to the recycle bin before and it removed the whole album on me.

HELP !!!!!

Why have they quadruplicated ??

Are you dragging and dropping the songs onto your ipod or syncing them from the songs library? I had this issue with my ipod when I dragged the songs into it, massively annoying think I just manually deleted the dupe items although can't really remember as it was a while ago. I think with itunes its best to "sync" the songs across

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you dragging and dropping the songs onto your ipod or syncing them from the songs library? I had this issue with my ipod when I dragged the songs into it, massively annoying think I just manually deleted the dupe items although can't really remember as it was a while ago. I think with itunes its best to "sync" the songs across

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am synching them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi Nick,

I am synching them.

Out of ideas so :( . You may want to wipe the ipod and start from scratch, it should just be a case of wiping it then syncing your library through iTunes. Just make sure all your music is in the iTunes library tab first

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

in the itunes prefrences, then advanced tab,, look for the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" if it is checked, then anything you sync or add to itunes will automatically save to your

/Users/"your user name"/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media

regardless of wether you have the same files in there or not it will just keep adding,, when you sync or even drag and drop.

My advice would be to uncheck this box for now,,, go to the itunes media file i suggested above and try to sort out your tunes,,, its a pain in the hole but it needs to be done if you dont understand how it works,, ive been there man but i sure learned how to use it fast. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I was recently looking at an issue for a mate with his iTunes where his music (about 700 songs) were taking up about 6.5gb of space on his ipod. more or less filling it.
    I noticed that the files were encoded as m4a 160bit files and about 10MB per song.
    I selected everything in the library and converted them to mp3 128bit and as a result, it created duplicates of every song in the music folder.

Basically, after this, I manually searched (through windows explorer) and deleted all of the m4a files. I then used a script linked on this page https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2803434?start=0&tstart=0

to remove the deleted tracks from the iTunes library

Advertisement