Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Ireland 70.3 - Sept 2nd 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I hear its sold out. Anyone able to confirm?

who you hear that from AKW?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That's better news! Obviously some of the guys thought it was really funny to punk me when I couldn't log in.

I'll get my own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

keith123 wrote: »
    +1 - Entry page works fine.

http://ironmanireland.com/enter-now/

Wont have funds till after Xmas for this - really hope it doesn't sell out!

It won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

tunney wrote: »
    It won't.

agreed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

LOL - I think that adventure racing was the unspoken joke of multisports - people actually take it seriously? I see mediocre single sport and multisport athletes doing too well in adventure races for there to be anyone taking it seriously.

You have the most uncanny of knacks at coming in and delivering knockout punches. Beer just went up my nose after reading that comment :)

LOL

Hoot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Oh, look another elitist muppet. I'm actually glad I don't race triathlons because who wants to hang around or fraternise with people like you and tunney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't get the big deal tri people make over this kind of thing. Every adventure race is infinitely tougher than any tri/ironman and they are never the same so you just have to take whatever is thrown at you and get on with it. Quit whining and HTFU

I assumed that Tunney's comment was a response to your obvious wind up statement above..........unless of course you were actually serious.........nah you couldn't have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Oh, look another elitist muppet. I'm actually glad I don't race triathlons because who wants to hang around or fraternise with people like you and tunney.

Thats a bit harsh isnt it?

We're not muppets at all ..... elitists yes.

I personally will only take baths in milk and honey. Only eat food prepared by our very own michelin grade chefs. And will only sleep in a state of the art hyperbaric chamber at night - doesnt EVERYONE do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Just received this from Ironman website,
    IRONMAN 70.3 Ireland Enews 

New Course to be announced shortly
    Following on from athlete feedback we are planning to make some exciting changes to the Ironman 70.3 Ireland course to enhance the athlete and spectator experience. Keeps your eyes peeled for the new information as we will be announcing this shortly on the website.     

What should be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The swim - While on a good day it is glorious there will be the same worry every year about it going ahead at that time of year, it may well be impossible to switch the date to increase the chances of favorable weather as I assume Ironman are pretty rigid with their schedule. I presume they don't have an option of anywhere else but perhaps the Corrib should be considered, I did a Tri 3 race there a few years back and the transition area was in the car park and its straight out the Moycullen road to Connemara. Nice downstream 1000m swim but I wouldnt fancy going back up it again.

No doubt the council will want it kept out in Salthill though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

As CW suggests the swim could be anything on the day but why make it 'easy'? Its Ironman not Aluman. The only problem last year was attrocious communication of the changes (last minute abeit) and how the waves were affected incl cut offs.

I would make some other changes:

Transition could be brought back to the carpark that was used for 'staff parking' this year. It can easily accomodate the bikes with plenty of space for aisles of racking.

The run can then start from the D'Arcy roundabout go through Salthill and out to the docks and come back via the Spanish Arch, Clladdagh and along the coast path the same as last year. It would take a lot of the technical turns and double backs out of the run and possibly make it 2 loops.

The bike should stay exactly the same, but pressure on the Council to repair it properly. It is the main artery to the West, West and should be treated as such.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As expected it looks like the National half marathon will be on the same day in the wesht (Athenry) so I'll be in Galway for the post IM beers? Where are our Western based folk hosting them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I can't believe people are paying silly money to do this "Ironman" when an infinitely better and cheaper race is a week or so later, i.e. Lost sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

big mce wrote: »
    I can't believe people are paying silly money to do this "Ironman" when an infinitely better and cheaper race is a week or so later, i.e. Lost sheep?

- better location
    - pro field attraction
    - branding/hype
    - stronger entry field
    - world 70.3 qualy slots
    - Galway always a good weekend for most
    - convenience/travel time
    - some suckered by the "IM" status...

The above may help you understand why paying a premium is acceptable for some/many.

Fazz wrote: »
    - better location
    Really? How? The fact that local knowledge suggests a 50% chance of a shortened or cancelled swim? Or is there something else?
    - pro field attraction
    Name one tier 1 or tier 2 pro from 2011 that did it, without googling (ignore the trick question aspect, tier 3 will do)
    - branding/hype

Its all in the execution. I know UK 70.30 was a damb squib any year I did it. Out shone by Lisboa
    - stronger entry field

Averaged out the field will be substantially weaker
    - world 70.3 qualy slots

I do not understand the attraction of the "world" 70.30s
    - Galway always a good weekend for most

Its pretty much Dublin but the birds have weird accents.
    - convenience/travel time

Offset by higher accomodation costs
    - some suckered by the "IM" status...

It all boils down to this.....

Really? How? The fact that local knowledge suggests a 50% chance of a shortened or cancelled swim? Or is there something else?

The fact it's a city, for many would be 1.5-2hours closer and is easier to get to.
    Name one tier 1 or tier 2 pro from 2011 that did it, without googling (ignore the trick question aspect, tier 3 will do)

Mike aigroz
    Lucy gossage
    Rachel Joyce

Its all in the execution. I know UK 70.30 was a damb squib any year I did it. Out shone by Lisboa

Yes but hype of a IM 70.3 outshines a national half in advertising alone etc.

Averaged out the field will be substantially weaker

Not fair comparison due to significantly higher entry field in Galway.
    The winners would be faster, and the losers would prob be slower as with many big events bar ones you've to qualy for

I do not understand the attraction of the "world" 70.30s

I'd see an event that requires qualification, is televised, has the worlds best at it and is in an attractive location as pretty appealing personally.
    Its pretty much Dublin but the birds have weird accents.

Yes it is, meaning it's better than Kenmare ;):D

Offset by higher accomodation costs

Offset by less travel costs and time :p

Horses for courses...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Horses for courses...[/Quote]

Plus this year after my 2nd Galway 70.3 I will official be a full Ironman!
    2 years in the making! ;-)

Bottom line is: my wife buys Jimmy Choos which cost €500-700 at times. She looks for bargain shoes for €50-80 also. She get great enjoyment out of both, so does her mates, they all chat about shoes. I don't really understand the hype that goes with the shoe thing but it's something she enjoys, gets to show off, talk about, look forward to, etc.

TBH who cares if ppl fork out big bucks for an event like this. A lot of ppl get great crack and harmless fun out of this event. I've made some very good friends and had loads of craic on social media forums in the run up to big races like this and others. Also picked up loads of tips, help and support.

I admit €230 is a bitter pill to swallow but the run up, excitement and also the enjoyment my family will get out of it on the weekend is worth it.

TBH I originally just entered Tri an Mhi 70.3 for €65 cos it was pure cheap but then couldn't miss out on Galway cos of the run up to it and also it running into the end if season and rounding the year off.

For those who knock on the Galway event, go organise a Boards 70.3 for half that price somewhere or even for €65 and I'll gladly enter. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Well said Mrbungle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

mrbungle wrote: »
    Horses for courses...

Bottom line is: my wife buys Jimmy Choos which cost €500-700 at times. She looks for bargain shoes for €50-80 also. She get great enjoyment out of both, so does her mates, they all chat about shoes. I don't really understand the hype that goes with the shoe thing but it's something she enjoys, gets to show off, talk about, look forward to, etc.

TBH who cares if ppl fork out big bucks for an event like this. A lot of ppl get great crack and harmless fun out of this event. I've made some very good friends and had loads of craic on social media forums in the run up to big races like this and others. Also picked up loads of tips, help and support.

I admit €230 is a bitter pill to swallow but the run up, excitement and also the enjoyment my family will get out of it on the weekend is worth it.

TBH I originally just entered Tri an Mhi 70.3 for €65 cos it was pure cheap but then couldn't miss out on Galway cos of the run up to it and also it running into the end if season and rounding the year off.

For those who knock on the Galway event, go organise a Boards 70.3 for half that price somewhere or even for €65 and I'll gladly enter. It can be done.[/QUOTE]

Sweet mother of ****.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney have you ever done an Ironman 70.3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Rawhead wrote: »
    Horses for courses...

For those who knock on the Galway event, go organise a Boards 70.3 for half that price somewhere or even for €65 and I'll gladly enter. It can be done.

Sweet mother of ****.[/Quote]

He did pretty well in Uk 70.3 in 2007.

73rd overall out of 800 finishers in a high quality field on a tough hilly course I believe.

http://www.tri247.com/results_4695.html

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

+1

Ironman 70.3 Galway bashing was the same last year, bet you by the same people as well....They should really move on, and ignore this event if they have nothing constructive to say about it.

Anyway, i am really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

For those who knock on the Galway event, go organise a Boards 70.3 for half that price somewhere or even for €65 and I'll gladly enter.
    911sc wrote: »
    +1

Tri an Mhi CXIII is €65 for the half iron distance. Unfortunately it's sold out though.

I agree with 220 Triathlon when they said this month that it's great that the UK now has four Ironman events with IMUK, IMWales, IM 70.3 Wimbeball and IM 70.3 Galway. ;)

Did UK 70.30 a few times. Suited nicely with people travelling from around Europe/World to meet and race there. Plus the tough course was an attraction.

Nice course, cracking part of the country, so nice, would love to go back on a holiday.
    Less than stellar organisation. I got alot of abuse from the organisers when they sent out their post race questionnaire. I answered honesty, fairly and constructively. They apparently only wanted responses like "everything was super" and got rather annoyed and aggressive over this totally private, solicited, communication of constructive criticism.

I believe they acted as advisors to Galway 70.30.

Only other international half I've done was Lisboa. Possible my best race ever, perfect mindset and execution of my race plan (4:11). The organisation was good, weather was hot, roads were good.

This year if I can get into halway decent shape I intend to head to Kenmare for that half and to give a certain oh so cocky boards DJ a tw@ting :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I am lucky in that I live nearby 2 good HIM races. I'm 10k from Humbert and less than an hour from Galway. I will do Galway because it makes financial sense. It is horrible to pay over €260 for a race but if I was to do Kenmare or Ireman it would cost that for accommodation, not mentioning fuel, food etc.
    There is no way to make out the price of Galway is reasonable but it suits my situation. The swim is a big risk with Galway for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I believe they acted as advisors to Galway 70.30.

Only other international half I've done was Lisboa. Possible my best race ever, perfect mindset and execution of my race plan (4:11). The organisation was good, weather was hot, roads were good.

This year if I can get into halway decent shape I intend to head to Kenmare for that half and to give a certain oh so cocky boards DJ a tw@ting :)

IMUK were advisors in Galway. They were actually more from my understanding as they took complete control when they arrived over in the days leading up to the event.

4:11 - cracking time! :cool:

I think you'll need to be in more than "half decent shape" as that DJ is in a rich vein of form! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Sorry Guys but anyone that thinks €260 is reasonable for a half is mad. I agree it's a great location but c'mon, Tri an Mhi: €65, Lost Sheep: €85, Humbert €80.

It's way too expensive. Make it a full at that price, then it's affordable and I'll be there too. Challenge Barcelona is €300. Imagine your 5/6 hours doing Galway. €50 an hour to kill yourself or in tunneys case €65 an hour and still not be certain about the swim?

big mce wrote: »
    Sorry Guys but anyone that thinks €260 is reasonable for a half is mad. I agree it's a great location but c'mon, Tri an Mhi: €65, Lost Sheep: €85, Humbert €80.

It's way too expensive. Make it a full at that price, then it's affordable. Challenge Barcelona is €300. Imagine your 5/6 hours doing Galway. €50 an hour to kill yourself or in tunneys case €65 an hour and still not be certain about the swim?

I think you've made your point on entering races based on price and that's fine.

Others have differing reasons such as larger entry field, pro's racing, convenience, lack of travel time, buzz/many friends doing it etc etc.

Price is a factor, but most of these 70.3 with world slots are similar priced, and at least we don't have flights, luggage, excess luggage for bike, time, hassle etc and are lucky to have one on our shores in fairness.

As stated the IM branding 70.3 events do come at a premium, and some will pay for the potential benefits highlighted above, some will not as they don't apply to them and for those it is overpriced by comparison to other halfs you mentioned.
    Some are happy to pay this for the experience of a big race with international pro's racing on the same course at same time etc. Some are just happy to make it a great weekend with many club mates racing also. etc.

Anyway, back to thread topic.
    Here's hoping the new course is confirmed soon.
    Wonder how many entries are in at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Anyone got any suggestions on accommodation from last year? Obviously its cheaper the further out you are but could be an issue in the morning with parking. Bikes are checked in the day before so you cant spin down:)

thanks

trihead

Advertisement