Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why NOT to do the x clamp fix

• 28-10-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

After getting a couple of consoles in for repair that had the x clamp fix done to a point where the consoles were damaged permanently.
    I decided I would post why NOT to do the x clamp fix but this article I found here explains it in much better detail than I could.
    It does leave a couple of things out alright but it hits the main points.
    It forgets to mention that the two 1mm washers are thinner than the GPU and when tightened down fully warp,distort and squeeze the GPU.
    Seriously if you dont believe me stack two washers beside a Xbox 360 GPU and check the height the dies on the GPU will be slightly higher.

http://xmoddz.com/truth-about-x-clamps

Seriously dont do the x clamp fix
    It does more harm than good

The only one that is any good is the xbox-experts hybrid fix if you get the washers from them,
    They are the correct size (slightly thicker than 1mm),
    But it still doesn't come close to a proper repair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

After getting a couple of consoles in for repair that had the x clamp fix done to a point where the consoles were damaged permanently.
    I decided I would post why NOT to do the x clamp fix but this article I found here explains it in much better detail than I could.
    It does leave a couple of things out alright but it hits the main points.
    It forgets to mention that the two 1mm washers are thinner than the GPU and when tightened down fully warp,distort and squeeze the GPU.
    Seriously if you dont believe me stack two washers beside a Xbox 360 GPU and check the height the dies on the GPU will be slightly higher.

http://xmoddz.com/truth-about-x-clamps

Seriously dont do the x clamp fix
    It does more harm than good

The only one that is any good is the xbox-experts hybrid fix if you get the washers from them,
    They are the correct size (slightly thicker than 1mm),
    But it still doesn't come close to a proper repair.

I always place the X clamps back on after reflowing/reballing, I've seen far too many butchered consoles, one crowd even glued the GPU to the motherboard.

Advertisement