Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying thermal paste with heatpipe direct contact heatsink.

Options
  • 28-10-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2904/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus_cpu_cooler/index4.html
    The base of the Hyper 212 Plus is a little rough by usual standards. The pipes are flat with each other, which is what really matters, but the spaces between are quite, well spacious. The typical glob in the center of the IHS isn't going to work so well here, I suggest you do a bit of spreading first.

I'm getting this cooler. The review mentions that there are considerable spaces between the pipes at the base. From what I've been hearing, the way to apply paste these days is to apply a pea sized amount to the cpu, then directly apply the heatsink, rather than use a card to spread it around. Should I do something different with this heatsink?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah for the hyper 212+ you want to put an amount the size of a grain of rice along each pipe. That will ensure that it will spread evenly and not get caught too much in the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

deconduo wrote: »
    Yeah for the hyper 212+ you want to put an amount the size of a grain of rice along each pipe. That will ensure that it will spread evenly and not get caught too much in the cracks.

Should I still apply the paste to the cpu?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The Toff wrote: »
    Should I still apply the paste to the cpu?

Nope, just onto the heatsink.

Something like this:

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

Though I would put it on the pipes rather than in between.

deconduo wrote: »
    Nope, just onto the heatsink.

Something like this:

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

Though I would put it on the pipes rather than in between.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've never used a third party cooler before so I'm a bit jumpy. I ended up finding a great resource which contained that very pic. It seems that every forum that deals with this topic ends up linking to this :

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

Just an update for anyone in a similar situation who finds this thread via search function. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus was really cheap, 30 euro, and it is INCREDIBLE. I applied the paste exactly as mentioned in the previous post. I filled up the gaps between the heatpipes , then cleaned the heatsink base (the paste thankfully remained in the gaps), and I then put the two rice-grain sized on the heatsink and all was well. I was dreading having to remove my mobo in order to install the heatsink mount, but it was a blessing in disguise, as I was able to do some proper cable management this time.
    My q8400 2.66ghz at 100% load never goes over 40 degrees (4 core average is 37 degrees). Overclocking to 3.4 ghz @ 1.3v is cool as well, well under the 50 degree mark on all cores at 100% load. The intel stock cooler was causing me to go up around the 70 degree mark at stock load, overclocking was not really possible. (On a side note, overclocking my GPU does nothing to improve my Oblivion framerate, whereas cranking up the CPU by 800mhz gave me a 40% performance boost all round.)
    At lowered speed, the fan is silent as far as I'm concerned. It only kicks in at load and is still really quiet for the performance it offers.
    Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement