Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kong classic

• 28-10-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey i got a kong classic and some treats to go into it, the dog likes it but not overly interested in it i presume its the treats she's a beagle and loves smells and the treats are fairly odorless just wondering if any of you guys have one whats you dogs favorite stuffing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Peanut butter as well as a few small strips of tripe. Mines a bit lazy and unless there's something really tasty in it he'l ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I find that my little girl loves to lick stuff out of it but isn't overly fond of chewing her kong.

So I put low fat cream cheese (same as low fat Philadelphia but non brand name so cheaper) or Cooked Liver / Heart blended and mixed with water smeared all around the inside. Even left over stew or food blended into a paste/ spreadable consistency.

Sometimes I put pieces of meat or her favorite treats in layers. ie. some treats at the bottom, covered with a layer of spreadable stuff. Possibly repeat depending on size etc.

Just remember to adjust the amount you feed when giving kongs/any treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

+1 for the peanut butter, they love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I use crunchy peanut butter and freeze it, lasts ages. Great for tablets too, doggies think the tablet is just a crunchy bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

My beagle loves her kong, I put either tinned tuna or salmon (better if in oil for the skin etc) and freeze it. She adores it and its healthy too.

But remember to put it in a plastic bag/cling film while its in the freezer to prevent any leaking fishy liquid and take the plastic off before giving to your dog :)

There are some good kong ideas on their website but I find the Kong brand fillers cause runny tummys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Also agree with the peanut butter - we just use smooth though.
    Mix in some of their kibble/feed and seal it with the peanut butter then freeze until rock solid and away they go - lick-fest.

Ours do get a bit bored though if the peanut butter is stopping the food coming out so we only use it to seal the opening, before we had it mixed though and used to have a hell of a time cleaning out barely touched kongs.

Something else we just tried is carrots... Suggested by our vet as a healthy treat alternative. Gave them the first ones a few days ago with some peanut butter smeared on them - they loved it.
    Right now we have a pack in the freezer - as they just love chewing.

Best of luck with the kongs though.

Advertisement