Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Is this the proposed location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is this the proposed location?

Ya that's the one.

No - that is already being rebuilt as part of the current works (along with rebuilding the entrance/exit to Dun Na Coiribe.

It seems they will be building an extra set of lights on this stretch in addition to the ones above.

Terryland Retail Park is the petrol station, pillo hotel, N17 electrical, terryland fruit and veg area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

No - that is already being rebuilt as part of the current works (along with rebuilding the entrance/exit to Dun Na Coiribe.

It seems they will be building an extra set of lights on this stretch in addition to the ones above.

Terryland Retail Park is the petrol station, pillo hotel, N17 electrical, terryland fruit and veg area.

here

I just had a nasty thought, this could be the start of the "alternative" solution for the ballinfoyle/kirwan RAB.

Thanks for the correction. Wow - another set of lights? The plot thickens
    I remember seeing the original plans for that stretch when they wanted to convert Kirwin into a four way junctions. This was not in that proposal to the best of my knowledge, was to be a left in, left out arrangement. As it currently is.
    Does this mean this proposal is going to be the main entrance to Sandy Road now? That would allow the go-ahead of Kirwin as a four way junction

• Advertisement

Thanks for the correction. Wow - another set of lights? The plot thickens
    I remember seeing the original plans for that stretch when they wanted to convert Kirwin into a four way junctions. This was not in that proposal to the best of my knowledge, was to be a left in, left out arrangement. As it currently is.
    Does this mean this proposal is going to be the main entrance to Sandy Road now? That would allow the go-ahead of Kirwin as a four way junction

See attached Part 8 document of the Bodkin Roundabout - page 5 does not show traffic lights at this location.
    bodkin_junction_part_8.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

the council tweeted this notice today about the Terryland access proposal... http://t.co/jck5o2Dcc3

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

So anybody seen the plans this morning? On display in the Planning section in City Hall

Wonder will it be a 4 way junction with a new access road into Castle Lawn? At this point here:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.285505,-9.045975&spn=0.001084,0.005928&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.285506,-9.045973&panoid=f-ltSJlnRJtbNVWJiroHAw&cbp=11,330.28,,0,0

So anybody seen the plans this morning? On display in the Planning section in City Hall

Wonder will it be a 4 way junction with a new access road into Castle Lawn? At this point here:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.285505,-9.045975&spn=0.001084,0.005928&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.285506,-9.045973&panoid=f-ltSJlnRJtbNVWJiroHAw&cbp=11,330.28,,0,0

Says nothing about a left turn so I doubt it.

Also I believe the land is privately owned so would have to be bought with a CPO - afaik one of the issues with the proposal to close the Crestwood Rd and run an access through land owned by the Menlo Park hotel (apart from the fact that it's a bad idea).

New Bradford Road entrance/exit to Galway Shopping Centre is open and being used.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

New Bradford?

Ah reet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maybe it's because Galway is twinned with Bradford.. what have the two got in common anyway?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Maybe it's because Galway is twinned with Bradford.. what have the two got in common anyway?

Sh1te roundabouts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-12080306

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/regeneration/saltaire_improvement_scheme

Sean Mulvoy Road -> Headford Rd reduced to one lane (at 3.45 when I passed). I'd say it's worth avoiding.

Road surface & Markings complete at Mulvoy Commercial Park, and looks complete at the GSC slip. They appear to be working on the footpath there.

Beware, the footpaths are being dug up in various spots at the RAB, be very careful when attempting to cross.

Might need a thread of it' own. Just spotted this via twitter.As its a stone's throw from the Bodkin Junction have posted here.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/290813_02.html

There was an article in the sentinel this week (not online, so I had to wait for the DE).

From the diagram it looks as if the entrance will be at the current left turn into Dunnes, roughly where the pedestrian crossing is now.

270633.jpg

This is a separate Part8 - i.e. a project in its own right - so if the traffic is high enough (pun intended) we can consider moving to a new thread for dicussion.

Might need a thread of it' own. Just spotted this via twitter.As its a stone's throw from the Bodkin Junction have posted here.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/290813_02.html
    "
    Public Notice: Bóthar na dTreabh (N6) Multi-Modal Corridor Improvement Scheme - Terryland Retail Park Access Junction Upgrade
    29 August 2013
    "
    They are slowly creeping down to the Menlo Park Hotel Roundabout(Kirwin) :D

I'd be interested to know how the two schemes will affect each other.

Will the Dun na Coiribe entrance/exit be affected by the above scheme, and by the Bokin modifications? If so, I'd be interested to know what they expect to happen with motorised and cycle traffic exiting DnC. At the moment there is a lot of 'wrong-way' or salmon cycling over the QB because of (a) cyclists avoiding the Bodkin and (b) cyclists exiting DnC via the pedestrian footway. I have personally found the wrong-way cycling to be dangerous, as I was nearly hit by a careless cyclist as she bombed along against the flow of traffic on the cyclepath. Because of traffic noise and her own lack of awareness she did not hear me trying to get her attention and nearly collided with me.

I would hope that the above junction would integrate well with the signalised Bodkin replacement so that what I would regard as cycling chaos on the QB will be at least alleviated if not eliminated entirely.

When cycling I normally avoid the QB like the plague, but when the new junction(s) is (are) completed I might consider it again. Perhaps not, though, if the wrong-way cycling continues unabated.

Strictly OT I know, but if there is to be another thread then this post can just be decanted in there.

It is part of the Bodkin modifications. It will be traffic light signalled controlled.
    I doubt these junction changes will change the behaviour you report.
    Any students living in DnaC are not going to use this exit/entrance to goto NUIG. Will continue to Salmon Cycle on QC bridge cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It is part of the Bodkin modifications. It will be traffic light signalled controlled.
    Any students living in DnaC are not going to use this exit/entrance to goto NUIG. Will continue to Salmon Cycle on QC bridge cycle paths.

+1, the cyclists will continue to take the short cut out of DnaC straight onto the QCB therefore bypassing the new bodkin junction and will then salmon cycle like usual rather than try to cross the bridge. I can certainly understand the students trying to avoid cycling around the bodkin roundabout but in fairness there will be no more excuse for this behaviour once the new junction is complete.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    +1, the cyclists will continue to take the short cut out of DnaC straight onto the QCB therefore bypassing the new bodkin junction and will then salmon cycle like usual rather than try to cross the bridge. I can certainly understand the students trying to avoid cycling around the bodkin roundabout but in fairness there will be no more excuse for this behaviour once the new junction is complete.

There is a pedestrian and cyclist exit from Dun na Coirbe onto the Dyke Road - people can then get to the right side of the road. Have stairwells either side of the N6 here. Only ramp though on one side for cyclists.

zarquon wrote: »

Depends on how cycle-friendly the layout is, once the current works are completed. It's going to be a big busy junction. I expect novice or nervous cyclists, who typically use signalised pedestrian crossings at present, will continue in the same manner on the revised 'Bodkin'junction. Rather than try to turn right at the lights onto the QB, they may cross the road around here and go up the QB on the correct side, or else they will go the salmon route as described above.

There is a pedestrian and cyclist exit from Dun na Coirbe onto the Dyke Road - people can then get to the right side of the road. Have stairwells either side of the N6 here. Only ramp though on one side for cyclists.

I didn't know that. Must have a look on StreetView or IRL.

On the Sean Mulvoy Rd:
    Exit from Mulvoy Commerical Park (incl road markings and signs)
    Lilo to GSC complete (incl road markings and signs) - no right turn allowed here.

On Headford Rd, new entrance to GSC open (Don't know if there is a right turn here).

Beware when approaching the RAB from Sean Mulvoy Rd - the GSC entrance/exit is extermely close to the RAB.

Edit: Entrance/Exit to GSC from the RAB is now closed - use one of the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

antoobrien wrote:
    Lilo to GSC complete (incl road markings and signs) - no right turn allowed here.

Yeah. I got caught the other day. I've also seen some drivers doing incredibly dodgy manoeuvres to get into the inside lane, blocking both lanes of traffic coming down Sean Mulvoy road.

Yeah. I got caught the other day. I've also seen some drivers doing incredibly dodgy manoeuvres to get into the inside lane, blocking both lanes of traffic coming down Sean Mulvoy road.

That exit should probably be closed until the junction entrance is moved toward the RAB as it looks hard to manoeuvre given the current layout.

Depends on how cycle-friendly the layout is, once the current works are completed. It's going to be a big busy junction. I expect novice or nervous cyclists, who typically use signalised pedestrian crossings at present, will continue in the same manner on the revised 'Bodkin'junction. Rather than try to turn right at the lights onto the QB, they may cross the road around here and go up the QB on the correct side, or else they will go the salmon route as described above.

I didn't know that. Must have a look on StreetView or IRL.

Here it is:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.283946,-9.057742&spn=0.000003,0.003098&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.283946,-9.057742&panoid=R2nR5F46lVu8hhoKnfWmUA&cbp=12,75.34,,0,0

Handy shortcut it is now since the new cycle and pedestrian ramp was installed from N6 to the Dyke Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I just don't get the exit coming out of the shopping centre and going right to roundabout, big yellow box...... Looks close to impossible to get out of there.... Scary infact.... Would put me completely off using that exit/entrance.... No one in Galway seems to be aware what a yellow box is for anyway... Scary

antoobrien wrote: »
    Beware when approaching the RAB from Sean Mulvoy Rd - the GSC entrance/exit is extermely close to the RAB.

Edit: Entrance/Exit to GSC from the RAB is now closed - use one of the other ones.

Is this entrance closer to the signallised controlled junction compared to that proposed in the document:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_01.pdf

It looks to me that it is. Any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

When cycling I normally avoid the QB like the plague, but when the new junction(s) is (are) completed I might consider it again. Perhaps not, though, if the wrong-way cycling continues unabated.

Agreed - wrong way cycling is endemic on the bridge and I also avoid the bridge in the mornings partly for this reason. I live in Rahoon and work in Ballybrit but if cycling to work I go via Lough Atalia to avoid the bridge - and the roundabouts.

I agree that the changes to the Bodkin Junction will not solve this problem. They just spent a huge amount of money putting in ramps on the North of the bridge embankment at the Dyke road while spending nothing on other side to make it accessible for cyclists travelling West. So the council are actively encouraging wrong-way cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Is this entrance closer to the signallised controlled junction compared to that proposed in the document:

http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/130212_01.pdf

It looks to me that it is. Any thoughts?

Looking at the drawing I would say yes its a lot closer to the junction than it is supposed to be.

On that drawing it seems as though the new access on headford road is supposed to be for entry only not exit or am I reading it wrong. No sign of the yellow box or the word exit written near it. Infact there seems to be a median in the middle of the road opposite it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement