Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

You should also factor in serious injuries, especially ones that leave a person permanently disabled.

Research suggests that they are much safer, but (unfortunately) accidents will still happen.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2606479-the-safety-showdown-roundabouts-vs-traffic-lights/
    The average roundabout sees 9.5 collisions per year based on 2009 and 2010 data. The injury rate at nine per cent results in 0.9 injury-causing collisions per roundabout per year.

A comparable average traffic signal sees 3.4 collisions per year. The injury rate at 27.1 per cent results in 0.9 injury-causing collisions per traffic signal per year.

This finding suggests no difference in the number of people getting hurt. However, roundabout injuries are less severe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

antoobrien wrote: »
    Jumping the gun much, it's still there this morning.
    In my mind the thing is gone. Gone I say.

snubbleste wrote: »
    In my mind the thing is gone. Gone I say.

Hows the new 4x4 going?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I really hope this works out for this junction, I have my fears that this particular junction, above the ones they have already done could be a complete disaster due to it's closeness to town.

On a separate note I had two near misses, both at the junctions at the HP/Boston Scientific entrance over the weekend.
    I was coming from the headford side, turning right down the Ballybane road. I had the green filter light to turn right and was first in the line of traffic in that lance.
    A car, that was on the dual carriageway coming from the Dublin side, was in the lane to turn right into Boston/HP, instead when he got the filter light to turn right, he carried straight ahead, almost taking the front of my car. I stopped immediately when it was obvious what he was doing........
    The guy had a passenger and was talking intently to them. I had my wife and child in the car. Was livid.

Similiar thing happened my at the next roundabout down (nearer the dublin motorway) on Thursday.
    I would assume that there are many close calls at these junctions on a regular basis but I wonder is it more or less than at the the RAB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

kippy wrote: »
    I really hope this works out for this junction, I have my fears that this particular junction, above the ones they have already done could be a complete disaster due to it's closeness to town.

Not that we should underestimate them cocking this up, but a signalled roundabout is an inherently flawed design. At least we are going from two control mechanisms to one.

I went to Tesco this weekend and wasn't too impressed with the exit to the Sean Mulvoy road. It's so close to the light it seems like people probably won't let you out. Maybe when finished it will be ok, but it looks like a potential problem at present.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

So we still have the roundabout until then?? AWWWW MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

newkie wrote: »
    Not that we should underestimate them cocking this up, but a signalled roundabout is an inherently flawed design. At least we are going from two control mechanisms to one.

I went to Tesco this weekend and wasn't too impressed with the exit to the Sean Mulvoy road. It's so close to the light it seems like people probably won't let you out. Maybe when finished it will be ok, but it looks like a potential problem at present.

This lights for the new junction will be a lot farther down than the current ones which will leave quite a stretch of road for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Just come over the bridge from the Westside.

Chaos at the end of the bridge:-

Plan was that traffic from the Omniplex direction would go over the bridge to the roundabout at the back of the hospital and then come back over the bridge.

However, the traffic is swinging around (3-point-turn) about 20 or 30 metres up the bridge as you head west. This means there is only one lane available to go across the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

There was a notice out saying that between 7pm - 7am today/tomorrow, there would be massive roadworks. I drove around Claddagh way to get home tonight.

• Advertisement

A smaller one though.

Beware when approaching from Sean Mulvoy Rd as the road veers significantly to the right at the entrance/exit from GSC. This makes it look like there's only one entrance to the new layout, there isn't there's two.

I also heard the traffic news on GBFM stating that although it looks as if there is only one approach lane when coming from Ballinfoyle, all three lanes are open, so the "normal" lanes for the normal directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

antoobrien wrote: »
    The lights are off but the roundabout remains

We're now in "Phase 5", this will be the arrangement for the next 4 weeks;

5bAt8D.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

paulgalway wrote: »
    However, the traffic is swinging around (3-point-turn) about 20 or 30 metres up the bridge as you head west. This means there is only one lane available to go across the bridge.

How many penalty points does one get for doing this?

How many penalty points does one get for doing this?
    None. It is quite normal to do this Galway, even in front of oncoming traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

None. It is quite normal to do this Galway, even in front of oncoming traffic

Worst location for this is bothar na dtreabh between the tuam road and the kirwin roundabout. Expect to see lots of these u-turns on this stretch over the coming days due to tailbacks caused by the bodkin works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I've found the traffic on Sean Mulvoy Road to be much lighter than on Bothar na dTreabh.

Just don't tell anyone or they'll all switch and cause a jam on Sean Mulvoy instead...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I've found the traffic on Sean Mulvoy Road to be much lighter than on Bothar na dTreabh.

Just don't tell anyone or they'll all switch and cause a jam on Sean Mulvoy instead...

That'll happen anyway when traffic starts backing up from the lights at the moneen, as it starts doing from about 4.30 every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Whats traffic like now going east over the Bridge?

Whats traffic like now going east over the Bridge?
    There is a big sign causing an obstruction eastbound and a number of smaller signs restricting navigation. There is no advance warning of these signs nor is the roadway closed despite the obstruction. People are getting around it by walking off the footpath onto the bicycle path and walking back onto the correct path. Westbound is clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There is a big sign causing an obstruction eastbound and a number of smaller signs restricting navigation. There is no advance warning of these signs nor is the roadway closed despite the obstruction. People are getting around it by walking off the footpath onto the bicycle path and walking back onto the correct path. Westbound is clear.

I see what you did there, well played :cool: and good points

• Advertisement

The obstruction approaching Bodkin. How am I supposed to walk through that? Electronic sign - roadway unofficially closed with no warning purely to facilitate motorists.

fKa6nDYl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

The obstruction approaching Bodkin. How am I supposed to walk through that? Electronic sign - roadway unofficially closed with no warning purely to facilitate motorists.

fKa6nDYl.jpg

Here is some advice look behind you and in front of you and if there are no bikes coming step left onto the 5foot wide cycle path(which is raised many inches of the road and which is rarely used) and walk around the electronic sign once you have finished the passing manoeuvre step back into the footpath section and wipe your brow

Let's be honest the electronic sign was placed in a very safe place!

Electronic sign - roadway unofficially closed with no warning purely to facilitate motorists.

Do you want a sign on the road warning pedestrians of the upcoming sign and blockage. Pedestrians have the option to walk around it, it's not that hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

paulgalway wrote: »
    Just come over the bridge from the Westside.

Chaos at the end of the bridge:-

Plan was that traffic from the Omniplex direction would go over the bridge to the roundabout at the back of the hospital and then come back over the bridge.

Is this still the plan, and is it going to be the plan for the next few weeks?

Eeden wrote: »
    Is this still the plan, and is it going to be the plan for the next few weeks?

No there is a smaller roundabout installed now which is functioning as before but without lights. Traffic is flowing as normal.

zarquon wrote: »
    Do you want a sign on the road warning pedestrians of the upcoming sign and blockage. Pedestrians have the option to walk around it, it's not that hard!

We can see the sign, so no.

There was chaos yesterday at the junction. We need one of these

5399983964_1990bccff0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

When are works due to be complete on this junction?

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Benbecul97 wrote: »

3 weeks to go!

Galway City Council will be entering the final phase of Traffic Management at the Bodkin Junction from Tuesday next, 8th October to facilitate the completion of the Bodkin Junction Upgrade.

This final phase of Traffic Management will involve the temporary installation of a reduced diameter roundabout. 2 lanes of traffic will continue to use the roundabout on all 4 approaches.

The duration of this final phase will be approximately 4 weeks.

Galway City Council appreciates the continued support of the public during this complex construction work.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/041013_01.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement