Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Don't be so condescending. You are exaggerating what I have said and assuming what I have not said. Terms like 'little rant' and 'hypocritical' show that you are not interested in respectful discussion. Welcome to the ignore button.

Lets see, you've made a complaint because you believe the situation is not safe. If so then there is no exaggeration in my post. If not clarify your post, that's how "respectful discussion" works.

Throwing your toys out of the pram because you don't like what somebody says is not respectful discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Oh no, not the "toys" quote again.

Galway City Council Website

22 October 2013

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/221013_02.html
    "
    Tomorrow night, Wednesday 23rd October, there will be diversions in place at the Headford Road/Sean Mulvoy Road Junction (i.e. former Bodkin roundabout) in order to carry out works in the centre of the junction.
    "

Map also provided

Oh no, not the "toys" quote again.

Even if a pedestrian is not hit as a result of behaviour like that described by El_Dangeroso, there can still be consequences regardless.

Nobody has been foolish enough to suggest that they are as serious as being hit by a vehicle (that should go without saying, but then there are motorists involved :rolleyes:), so I don't really know what the problem is with pointing out that there are consequences to actions even if they don't happen to the actor.

Even if they actor won't admit that their actions are putting their own health in danger.

If El_Dangeroso had explained his/her complaint instead of the reaction then we might have a "reasonable discussion".

I notice that they never clarified if wear hiVis etc (which was required this morning imo) or even acknowledge that fact that I stated that it's hard to see where pedestrians are because of the barriers.

Nah, toys & pram and it's the motorists fault - standard reaction for people that do not want to make things better, just rant.

Galway City Council Website...

Map also provided

Selected text from the release:
    Tomorrow night, Wednesday 23rd October, there will be diversions in place at the Headford Road/Sean Mulvoy Road Junction (i.e. former Bodkin roundabout) in order to carry out works in the centre of the junction. The diversions will require all traffic using the junction to turn left only
    These diversions will be in place from 9:00pm until 7:00am.

So no "straight on" or right turns will be available on Wednesday night. This means that traffic will have to use the roundabouts or go in through GSC/the retail park for the 10 hour period.

Planning your route so as give a left turn will help.

Also worth noting that the council have apologised for the short notice as:
    This work was originally scheduled to take place next week. However, in order to meet our completion deadlines, this element of the upgrade has been brought forward in light of adverse weather forecasted for next week in the City.

Hopefully it won't have the reported impact there was a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

That work is scheduled to start later than it was a few weeks ago so should have less of an impact, It was before 8 when they closed lanes the last time that release says 9pm to 7am so should be ok.

In regard to danger for pedestrians I have found the fact that where the pedestrians are being made cross the junction seems to change every other night I drive through doesn't help and on a few nights the workmen have had large lights in place to help them work but these make it very difficult for drivers to see pedestrians or cyclists around them.
    Unfortunately these are problems for all city roadworks and will require patience from all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

All sides of the junction have this problem at the moment. Traffic seems to be so impatient at busy times they are paying no attention to pedestrians waiting to cross.

Agreed. Hi-viz etc is a red herring. Not enough attention is being paid by the contractors or the authorities (eg Galway City Council, HSA) to provision for vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and mobility-impaired people.

277261.jpg

277262.jpg

Compare the ad hoc situation at the Bodkin roadworks with that in Australia, for example, where traffic control around worksites is highly regulated.

While in Melbourne last year I noticed that worksites typically utilised dedicated traffic management contractors. They even installed temporary zebra crossings where construction work required pedestrians to cross the road.

277264.jpg

277265.jpg

antoobrien wrote: »
    From the diagram it looks as if the entrance will be at the current left turn into Dunnes, roughly where the pedestrian crossing is now.

270633.jpg
    Work has started at the entrance to Dunnes Terryland - I guess this is the separate scheme linked to by anto earlier. Hopefully it won't take too long.

The pedestrian crossing situation isn't ideal for anyone - motorist or pedestrian.

An older woman asked my wife for help crossing in the middle of the day where the pedestrian lights used to be between Dunnes and the GSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Luckily this temporary roundabout wont be around for long. I drove through it this afternoon. AN E320 thought he owned it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh that's normal don't ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

huggs2 wrote: »
    Luckily this temporary roundabout wont be around for long. I drove through it this afternoon. AN E320 thought he owned it.

how much did the cam cost? Great quality out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

how much did the cam cost? Great quality out of it.
    Mobius action cam. €52. with the extras cost over €100.
    I bought it before this one came out. i think its better.
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html

"
    24 October 2013 - Update: 15:20
    Due to an adverse weather forecast, tonights planned diversions at the Bodkin Junction have been postponed until Monday 28th October from 8pm until 7am.
    "

"
    24 October 2013 - Update: 15:20
    Due to an adverse weather forecast, tonights planned diversions at the Bodkin Junction have been postponed until Monday 28th October from 8pm until 7am.
    "

nice calm dry evening so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

nice calm dry evening so far

Youre not one for looking at forecasts or radars i see. :cool:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Youre not one for looking at forecasts or radars i see. :cool:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

im walking around in a t-shirt its so humid. A bit of rain and wind won't hurt them. Is dry weather a must? What happens if it rains for the next month? Does this just not get done?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Agreed. Hi-viz etc is a red herring.

A good part of the morning evening rushes are now in twilight/darkness, and this will only get more pronounced, so please stop making me laugh at such a serious matter.

I notice that you've neglected the possibility that if somebody behaving like E_D described causes an accident, the motorist could well lose control of the vehicle. This might result in the careless crosser getting hit anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

im walking around in a t-shirt its so humid. A bit of rain and wind won't hurt them. Is dry weather a must? What happens if it rains for the next month? Does this just not get done?

Im sure you were walking around outdoors in a tshirt for the rest of the evening too :rolleyes:. If work cannot be done due to forecasted large volumes of rain then so be it.

Asphalt doesn't cure properly in very cold/wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Traffic was bonkers today going in to Galway. Saw one person go around Kirwan roundabout the wrong way and exit towards the Curraghline! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Traffic was bonkers today going in to Galway. Saw one person go around Kirwan roundabout the wrong way and exit towards the Curraghline! :eek:

Is that not "normal" in these parts ?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A good part of the morning evening rushes are now in twilight/darkness, and this will only get more pronounced, so please stop making me laugh at such a serious matter.

I notice that you've neglected the possibility that if somebody behaving like E_D described causes an accident, the motorist could well lose control of the vehicle. This might result in the careless crosser getting hit anyways.

Your concern for pedestrians is touching, albeit belated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mars Bar wrote: »

The wrong way around the Kirwan roundabout. Sweet Jesus. How did they manage that??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The wrong way around the Kirwan roundabout. Sweet Jesus. How did they manage that??

They must have come down Bothar na dTreabh and didn't like the traffic stuck at the roundabout so turned right and up Headford Road! I doubt they would have got across from Sandy Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Oh my actual god. Only witnessed this new roundacrossroad there today myself. That was TERRIFYING!!! I don't know which crack-smoking civil engineer came up with this, but there's not a hope I'm going near it till it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been through it many times now and yes it looks "terrifying" but tbh it's fine.
    Can't wait for it to be finished though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I was waiting for one of our safety evangelists to post this, but since they seem to have better things to do.....

The footpath and cycle lane between currys and the pathway/entrance to Terryland Forest Park is closed (town/university side). Pedestrians (and cyclists who don't want to use the road surface) should use the path & lane on the Terryland side of the road.

I saw this over the weekend and it is daft. They have blocked the westbound path, up near the bridge, apparently because of the works at the roundabout. So someone travelling west passes through the roundabout - gets onto the cycle path - and then finds their path blocked just before the bridge - for no apparent reason. They are then pushed onto the road.

It would appear that whoever is overseeing these roadworks does not know their left hand from their right hand - or just is incapable of looking down at their feet and seeing the direction of travel arrows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

dMlBgYwl.jpg?1

Exactly, how are you supposed to go around this? If you are in a wheelchair, how are you supposed to navigate the gravel park path? Are you supposed to cross the four lane road?
    Noticed the obscured speed limit sign

T3tWEmml.jpg

snubbleste wrote: »
    Exactly, how are you supposed to go around this?
    Noticed the obscured speed limit sign

You're not.

In fact you're not supposed to be this side of the sign at all (especially since the path was closed off near the back of currys).

From the other side you are supposed to go through the (unlighted) path through terryland forest park, which looks like it's about here.

• Advertisement

I saw this over the weekend and it is daft. They have blocked the westbound path, up near the bridge, apparently because of the works at the roundabout. So someone travelling west passes through the roundabout - gets onto the cycle path - and then finds their path blocked just before the bridge - for no apparent reason. They are then pushed onto the road.

The westbound cycle path was blocked at the roundabout so doing what you'd just described was ....unrealistic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement