Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

J o e wrote: »
    The new junction will be a huge improvement for cyclists, can't wait. :) And as a whole the project has been very well run and the updates from the council very good.

However pushing cyclists and pedestrians out into the line of traffic where they would not normally be expected by oncoming vehicles could have much much longer term implications than the short-term traffic inconvenience, so think it is worth mentioning.

Let me make one thing clear - contrary to what other posters are saying, there is no need to go onto the road to avoid the closure of the cycle lane/footpath. There is a route available through the forest park, which does not necessitate entering the roadway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

antoobrien wrote: »
    There is a route available through the forest park, which does not necessitate entering the roadway.

Like so? Not ideal but yes an alternative route. :P

4Zt5BF.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Let me make one thing clear - contrary to what other posters are saying, there is no need to go onto the road to avoid the closure of the cycle lane/footpath. There is a route available through the forest park, which does not necessitate entering the roadway.

Why would anyone look for, or take, a diversion to avoid an obstruction that is not advertised and should not be there?

Like so? Not ideal but yes an alternative route.

Not quite, there is an open fence at the pedestrain crossing, roughly where this gate was. So one wouldn't have to go in through currys, but you've got the right idea.

Still not ideal.

Why would anyone look for, or take, a diversion to avoid an obstruction that is not advertised and should not be there?

Did somebody turn the calendar back to April 1st?

The fact that the path is blocked (and today being relaid) is not a valid reason for for a diversion.

Enjoy the blown out tyre from the hot tar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

they have advertised it for about two years that during construction there would be major delays and diversions. The signs could be better but its worse for motorists when 2 lanes become 1 without notice and signs but we get on with it as its only for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I hope there going to straighten the traffic light poles opposite Dunnes and re-align the lights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

they have advertised it for about two years that during construction there would be major delays and diversions. The signs could be better but its worse for motorists when 2 lanes become 1 without notice and signs but we get on with it as its only for a short time.

With regret but I dont think so. I think that if someone went out and blocked the two westbound traffic lanes up near the bridge, for no apparent reason, the wails and protests would be deafening. If, in order to get around the obstruction, motorists were being forced to expose themselves to oncoming traffic coming at speeds in excess of the limit then there would be all manner public accusations and negative media coverage.

Anyway I took a walk down there this evening. I could see no signs of any description indicating any diversions for cyclists. Nor were there any signs indicating that the westbound path had been blocked up ahead.

The westbound section that was being resurfaced was all of 90m in length and cordoned off with cones. So that "excuse" seems to have been spurious. Funnily enough someone had put a little tarmac ramp up onto the footpath up near Currys but on the Headford rd arm. I didnt bother going as far as the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I hope there going to straighten the traffic light poles opposite Dunnes and re-align the lights

+1. And build some flyovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

huggs2 wrote: »

It'll be interesting! :)

I wonder why the Council are advising only motorists to familiarise themselves with the new layout?

It's a large complex junction, and there are significant numbers of cyclists in the area. It is my prediction that this junction will not lead to a reduction in the number of 'salmon' cyclists over the QB, and perhaps will even prompt an increase.

Perhaps an ex-Bodkin/QB behaviour change programme will be needed to guide cyclists through the procedure for using the junction, a la the SQR.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Can see problems with traffic coming out of the shopping centre (opposite Curry's) ; turning right and then left to go west over the QB.

You have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get onto the lane closest to Curry's to make the left turn at the junction.

Did this last week and found it very difficult as other drivers were so frustrated that they were not letting other drivers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Just so everyone knows at about half 2 I drove over the bridge and would you believe it someone had moved the offending gate so the cycle path was no longer blocked but the foot path was. Seems we have been discussing an issue which has already been resolved. Pity you didn't walk up further earlier on for a look Galwaycyclist

paulgalway wrote: »
    Can see problems with traffic coming out of the shopping centre (opposite Curry's) ; turning right and then left to go west over the QB.

You have to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get onto the lane closest to Curry's to make the left turn at the junction.

Did this last week and found it very difficult as other drivers were so frustrated that they were not letting other drivers in.

Probably be a better/safer option to use the Sean Mulvoy exit and go straight through than try and cross so many lanes

Just so everyone knows at about half 2 I drove over the bridge and would you believe it someone had moved the offending gate so the cycle path was no longer blocked but the foot path was. Seems we have been discussing an issue which has already been resolved. Pity you didn't walk up further earlier on for a look Galwaycyclist

Came through the roundabout this evening and half six and the cycle lane was open to the road so assuming they'd finished resurfacing I cycled onto it when exiting the roundabout. However about 50m down the road it was blocked again..

7XaxZE.jpg

Previous to that I tried to get from the roundabout over to the open fence (and onto path) that antoobrien was talking about... but that open path only led into an enclosed construction area :pac: :confused: (would have needed to go up by Currys as per earlier post). Before that I was nearly taken off the bike by a motorist coming straight across the roundabout from Sean Mulvoy Rd without giving way. Bring on 4th November! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

paulgalway wrote: »

You are better off using the Sean Mulvoy exit for going over the bridge rather than trying to cut through so many lanes which is difficult at peak time

Edit: Nevermind, i didn't see irisheddie85 reply before mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was just having a look at the new layout...... if you were leaving the retail park (i.e. Currys, Aldi, Woodies etc.), how do you get to the shopping centre (i.e. Tesco)? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was just having a look at the new layout...... if you were leaving the retail park (i.e. Currys, Aldi, Woodies etc.), how do you get to the shopping centre (i.e. Tesco)? :confused:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDvb-XZkp58pT2TO8G6sn3z0SxVAbYb_tXUHg84tpLhS_pz74-Zw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

snubbleste wrote: »

Ah but there are signs in the Retail park that state if you leave the Retail park while your car is parked there, then you can be clamped!

• Advertisement

Good question. True for going from that retail park into the city / Woodquay too. Either over to the Menlo roundabout and back (while it exists) or up Sean Mulvoy Rd and back...?

Ever take an elderly person to the shops?

It looks as if you may have to go to GSC first, but on the bright side you should be still able to use the "main" entrance/exit on the woodquay side of the car park to get across the road.

It looks as if you may have to go to GSC first

How do you know what to buy in Tesco until you've found out what you couldn't get in Aldi...? :p

How do you know what to buy in Tesco until you've found out what you couldn't get in Aldi...? :p

Touché.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Beat me to it. That's the normal dilemma I face. ;)

Aside from the fact you can be clamped if spotted what if you are picking up a large item or items in currys, woodies etc and then want to do a big shop in tesco. Totally impractical to walk in this instance.

Ever take an elderly person to the shops?

Many elderly people can walk just fine thanks, and like to do so regularly for exercise, practicality, sociability, leisure and getting from A to B. Unfortunately, Galway City Council has for decades not seen fit to make the healthier choice the easier choice for our senior citizens, and this location (to date) has been no exception to that dismal rule. I sincerely hope the Bodkin modifications represent a significant departure from that sad legacy.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/397835/276949.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/397835/276950.jpg

With regard to vehicular access to/from the retail park, yes indeed there is a clamping regime in place. It's run by a company with a delightfully Orwellian name. The signs are placed to deter any motoring miscreants who might have the gall to consider walking across the road instead of driving.

278114.jpg

However, Galway Shopping Centre has a policy of not clamping people who park on their premises and cross the road to do business in the retail park.

Could a win-win situation not be worked out here? Why not raise the overall Level of Service for pedestrians on this link, which would have the added benefit that customers who come by car to either shopping area can easily cross the road between the two centres, thereby reducing unnecessary traffic over what is a tiny distance as the crow flies?

Otherwise there may be some inappropriate responses from motorists. As we have seen already, some are turning right into a left-turn slip lane, creating an extra hazard for pedestrians at that new uncontrolled junction.

Aside from the fact you can be clamped if spotted what if you are picking up a large item or items in currys, woodies etc and then want to do a big shop in tesco. Totally impractical to walk in this instance.

Tesco do home deliveries, as do Currys and Woodies. Not everyone finds it "totally impractical" to walk across the road.

http://www.currys.ie/content/Delivery/923

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/content/Delivery-Information/345

There is a small bit of road works going on at the exit of the retail Park. I assumed this was to facilitate a right turn towards wood Quay as you exit and over come this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Got held up approaching from the Sean Mulvoy road due to car crash at the junction, woman taken to hospital not sure how it happened but not surprised given the chaos down there, two cars with a lot of damage.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Tesco do home deliveries, as do Currys and Woodies. Not everyone finds it "totally impractical" to walk across the road.

http://www.currys.ie/content/Delivery/923

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/content/Delivery-Information/345

You know well people want to go in and do their shopping as they like to pick the stuff they want in person etc, I don't like the idea of online food shopping myself (the one time I used it they replaced a number of items with other items which I did not want) and then there are plenty of people who don't use the internet etc.

As for getting stuff delivered from curries well for a start there is a charge, why would I pay to have something delivered when I can bring it in my car. There is also the fact you have to wait for it to be delivered. You go in to pick something and you want to take it away there and then. Sure you might as well just buy the stuff online if you can take it away on the spot.

Especially a place like woodies where people tend to need the thing straight away rather than a few days later etc and of course there is the additional cost as well for deliveries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement