Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

antoobrien wrote: »
    The bit highlighted in red was not in the original drawings.

278257.jpg

Slip might be too string a word (filter might be better) but it's not in the original part 8 drawings.

Why is there no proper filter lane being provided for cars turning left onto the bridge? There should be a filter lane going straight through the green piece in that image for cars turning left onto the bridge similar to the filter lanes turning left off the bridge out towards the headford road and left up sean mulvoy road when coming in towards town.

This would speed up traffic flow a lot as cars going over the bridge could have a flashing yellow and make their way onto the bridge when the way was clear etc. Thus keeping traffic moving much better heading out of town.

I think I will be sticking to the dyke road when heading into or out of town at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Why is there no proper filter lane being provided for cars turning left onto the bridge? There should be a filter lane going straight through the green piece in that image for cars turning left onto the bridge similar to the filter lanes turning left off the bridge out towards the headford road and left up sean mulvoy road when coming in towards town.

This would speed up traffic flow a lot as cars going over the bridge could have a flashing yellow and make their way onto the bridge when the way was clear etc. Thus keeping traffic moving much better heading out of town.

I think I will be sticking to the dyke road when heading into or out of town at busy times.

So even with all the changes it will still be impossible to get out of that shopping centre. Wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The pre-existing filter lane was diabolical, especially for pedestrians.

Not wise to reproduce it in the new layout, imho.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    So even with all the changes it will still be impossible to get out of that shopping centre. Wonderful

Out of the retail park (Currys etc)? How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

ballinadog wrote: »
    I realise you have added the tongue in cheek smiley and so this reply is not directed directly at you, however 2 questions:

1. On your red line indicating the diversion, it is apparent one would have to be travelling on the road whilst goin around the roundabout in the first place so why not just continue on the road out the QB

Yep, there was no other option but to use the road. Why not continue on the road? Because the traffic on the QB travels at a much higher speed than when approaching or navigating the roundabout.
    2. Under the old roundabout system how did a cyclist get up onto the cycle lane on the QB as there were no ramps? One would have had to dismount and lift bike up over kerb onto paths. If one is determined to use the path now, one can cycle on rd until past the obstruction and then just do the exact same as one would have had bad to do in the past...

Cyclists got onto the cycle path via the dropped kerb (/ramp?);

4LWLvn.png

Before the QI style buzzer goes off to say that's a pedestrian entrance... I'm sure if that wasn't there the council would have put in a specific ramp for the cycle path.

Good work on the junction, looking forward to Monday!

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The pre-existing filter lane was diabolical, especially for pedestrians.

Not wise to reproduce it in the new layout, imho.

Well you can see from the picture I quoted that there is a filter lane in the new layout for cars turning left off the bridge going towards the headford direction. It was even already in use last Monday as I used it.

Out of the retail park (Currys etc)? How so?

Because the flow of traffic leaving currys would be much faster if cars less cars were being held up at the lights due to having a filter lane for cars wanting to go left over the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I would nearly bet money that if there is any sort of delay going through the new junction in the days immediately after it has been completed, people will be up in arms saying it was a waste of money and the roundabout was better. :rolleyes:

Common sense dictates that it's going to take them a few weeks to fine-tune the sequencing.

There may well be an influx of motorists coming to try out the new junction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

KevR wrote: »
    I would nearly bet money that if there is any sort of delay going through the new junction in the days immediately after it has been completed, people will be up in arms saying it was a waste of money and the roundabout was better. :rolleyes:

Common sense dictates that it's going to take them a few weeks to fine-tune the sequencing.

it does not take until then. Let me be the first to say its a waste of money. And how long will it take a spokesperson from the council to tell us it won't work until the roundabout at the Menlo park hotel is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

it does not take until then. Let me be the first to say its a waste of money.
    I don't agree or disagree with you; rather I'm amazed how you can form such an definite opinion at this early stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I don't agree or disagree with you; rather I'm amazed how you can form such an definite opinion at this early stage?

The other converted roundabouts have not really worked and the reduction in traffic is more to do with the recession than anything else. The sqr also has not worked so I am confident that this won't work either. Look at the state of the exits from the shopping centres its going to be a nightmare around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The other converted roundabouts have not really worked and the reduction in traffic is more to do with the recession than anything else. The sqr also has not worked so I am confident that this won't work either. Look at the state of the exits from the shopping centres its going to be a nightmare around there.

Completely disagree. The briarhill junction is a big improvement over the roundabout at peak times. The bodkin roundabout was an absolute disaster at peak times also, worse considering that a large section of local drivers had no idea how to use the bodkin roundabout.

Well in my opinion the new junctions are a disaster. The roundabouts were much much better.

I thought Bodkin roundabout worked perfectly well and it really is an utter waste of money that could be spent resurfacing the roads around the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I use the briarhill junction daily and find it a great improve; that said I go through it at ~07:45. Also the next two junction heading west seem to flow freely at that time.

Regarding traffic reduction. Are there really significantly less numbers of cars on the roads compared to the CT years? I live in Kilcolgan and find/think the volume of traffic using the N18 is increasing annually.

I'd love to see some proper metrics regarding car volumes on the road now; versus then.

Well in my opinion the new junctions are a disaster. The roundabouts were much much better.

I thought Bodkin roundabout worked perfectly well and it really is an utter waste of money that could be spent resurfacing the roads around the county.

So, just to confirm, you thought the Bodkin roundabout worked "perfectly well"?

Survival-of-the-fastest_zpsc324b473.jpg

I think he meant that it worked well if you were a motorist going through at an off peak time ;)

I'm going to say that the new junctions are a massive improvement over the RABs at peak times.

Sure they slow you down at off peak times but the changes have been a huge benefit to the majority of drivers.

That's not even to talk about how much safer these junctions are for pedestrians and cyclists by comparison to the RABs

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

The whole idea of these type of lights is that there is underground sensor loops that keep track of the volumes of traffic in each lane and therefore varies the sequencing depending on demand. Not only that but each junctions lights communicate with the next set down the line by using exit sensor loops. This means that the next junction has a fair idea of what volume of traffic is coming its direction and so can begin to alter its sequencing. (The reason I say "fair idea" is because there are unknown unlogged traffic emerging from housing estates, one off housing etc). So to sum up, the bodkin junction will work to an extent (it will be able to vary sequencing depending on traffic volumes in each lane) however it WILL improve when the kirwan junction is done because the link will be completed, ie once volumes of traffic are sensed within the system, the system knows what they are doin until they leave the system... Where problems will arise is when at very peak times the system becomes saturated I.e where all legs volumes are so large that all legs in theory require full time on green. This is no fault of the lights, it's a bigger issue got to do with infrastructure such as the bypass (won't go into that) however, even in saturation, these lights keeps all legs traffic moving whereas under r/abouts it actually only takes two legs to become saturated and then all 4 legs are held up as people coming off free legs (whic in theory shouldn't be held up) are blocked by people caught a across the roundabout... Also the safety for pedestrians is incomparable... I have no doubt when lights are turned on Monday there will be people unimpressed, but frankly I couldn't give two hoots, it'll work, it'll get even better kirwan is done, and they'll work even greater when the bypass is built!!!!!

Worked well for cars, which is more important than for a couple of people crossing the road.

Them people could have crossed the road down at the pedestrian crossing near dunnes and then would have had a crossing on the Sean mulvoy road side of Bodkin if they weren't happy running across the road.

I often walk in towns and almost never press the button at a crossing so as not to hold up cars I just run across.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Worked well for cars, which is more important than for a couple of people crossing the road.

Them people could have crossed the road down at the pedestrian crossing near dunnes and then would have had a crossing on the Sean mulvoy road side of Bodkin if they weren't happy running across the road.

I often walk in towns and almost never press the button at a crossing so as not to hold up cars I just run across.

So anyone coming from Dun na Coiribe side should have to add ten minutes by walkng to Dunnes's crossing and then walking on the opposite side of the road. And im pretty sure theres more than a couple of people walking on the Headford road each day.

Worked terribly for cars during rush hour! You yourself have posted that you use the dyke road instead during rush hour traffic, strange behaviour for someone who insists that the roundabout works great for you :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements during peak traffic.

• Advertisement

The whole idea of these type of lights is that there is underground sensor loops that keep track of the volumes of traffic in each lane and therefore varies the sequencing depending on demand.

it'll work, it'll get even better kirwan is done, and they'll work even greater when the bypass is built!!!!!

Well, I hope the junction does work. It'll be large, fairly complex, and under serious pressure at peak times. It is my view that pedestrians will find it easier, even thought I have no doubt that they (we) will be made to cross twice in some sections. I am less optimistic about cyclists; my prediction is that 'salmon' cycling over the QB will continue unabated and may get even worse, and that many cyclists will find their own unorthodox ways of using the pedestrian crossings instead of features such as the right-turn 'pockets' etc. I'd like to see some GTU engineers, Councillors and contractors cycle through the junction to show the rest of us how it's done. Actually, now that I think of it, whoever does the Stage 2 & 3 Road Safety Audits is supposed to walk and cycle the route, but I doubt they'll bother, and I very much doubt we'll see any detailed report in that regard either.

Of course we'll have at least five pre-bypass years to see how it all goes. :)

There are people with the same attitude immovably ensconced in local authority Roads departments all over this country. Luckily these dinosaurs are becoming extinct, albeit very late and far too slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Well, I hope the junction does work. It'll be large, fairly complex, and under serious pressure at peak times.

Be under no illusions, it will not work. It will be a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 tv_junkie

massive delays at joyces roundabout this afternoon

worlds brightest guard decided it was a good idea to pull a bus driver for no tax right at the roundabout beside that filling station , resulted in a situation where their was only one lane useable going round the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I think it will be a massive improvement and very safe over the old bodkin RAB.👍

As I said earlier this will work for the majority of users of the junction, it will just be an inconvenience for those using it at off peak times.

Considering the RAB was partially signalised on 2 arm's previously it's really not much of a change for those 2 arm's

4 down, 2 to go :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

As I said earlier this will work for the majority of users of the junction, it will just be an inconvenience for those using it at off peak times.

It will be a MAJOR inconvenience for anyone using it from 4pm to 7pm. The design is still wrong and I expect absolute gridlock on the bad days. The engineers know this.
    One relief road that should have got the go-ahead was a connection between the Currys shopping carpark and the Quin bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It simply won't work because it can't cater for the volume of traffic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Of course some people on this thread think that it's the pedestrian's fault for not wearing high vis jackets at all times. :rolleyes:

The bodkin roundabout was an utter disaster for cars, pedestrians and cyclists. The only people who seemed to like it were aggressive drivers who can bully other road users out of the way.

It was the same type of road user who bemoaned the loss of the moneenageisha roundabout.

I guess now we wait to see how things go with the new layout.

I hope to try it out -- more than once, and from all directions -- as a pedestrian, cyclists and motorist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Will there be a blessing of the new junction? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement