Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

zarquon wrote: »
    Road markings indicate the legal routes in addition to the lights. Signs are going later this week for those incapable of reading the road markings

The big VMS sign stating that the N6 can only be access through the slip seems to have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Cars sitting tight together across the cycle lane waiting to go into the slip road again this morning. Nearly time to invest in that air horn!
    antoobrien wrote: »
    The big VMS sign stating that the N6 can only be access through the slip seems to have worked.

Yes and there's also a temporary sign on the traffic light at the junction showing no left-turn.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Did your heart slowly sink whilst waiting all that time?
    It's a disgrace, so it is. Let us know if you get any feedback from the Council

I cried a little.

It appeared to be an inefficiency that could be easily fixed but this could be a problem alright;
    ballinadog wrote: »
    I've thought of another reason, the slip & filter lanes. By goin anti clockwise the left hand slip & filter lanes of the following arm in the sequence can also be engaged...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

J o e wrote: »
    Cars sitting tight together across the cycle lane waiting to go into the slip road again this morning. Nearly time to invest in that air horn!

I noticed that this morning. Pulled into the slip lane making sure not to block the cycle lane, driver behind me stopped diagonally across it. What was even worse was there was plenty of room to pull in properly and not block it.

Also noticed a small problem with the sequencing. Was about 7/8 cars back in the slip lane, lights went green, only got as far as dun na coiribe lights cos they went red. This caused slip traffic to back up even though there was a green.

Thankfully traffic wasn't too heavy at the time, but I guess it'll take some time to figure out the optimum timing of a red just down from the main junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Working a lot better this morning eastbound over the bridge. Came through at 9.00 a.m with very little of a tailback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Working a lot better this morning eastbound over the bridge. Came through at 9.00 a.m with very little of a tailback.

Yep came through at 8:40 for a look on same route - went straight up Sean Mulvoy.

I didnt have the issue j o e had with the blocked cycle lane on the bridge side. That said, I think the layout of the cycle lane on the Sean Mulvoy side is dangerous. (This is independently of the issue of the slip lane from the Headford road which shouldnt be there)

Instead of just ending after the junction - the cycle lane tapers off into the left almost as if the designer was trying to push cyclists up onto the footpath - another consequence is that this design encourages car drivers to follow the line and pull accross the path of any cyclists.

A similarly flawed design was used up at Ballybrit on the HP/Boston Scientific arm. I am always careful to get out of the cycle lane before the taper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Instead of just ending after the junction - the cycle lane tapers off into the left almost as if the designer was trying to push cyclists up onto the footpath - another consequence is that this design encourages car drivers to follow the line and pull accross the path of any cyclists.

A similarly flawed design was used up at Ballybrit on the HP/Boston Scientific arm. I am always careful to get out of the cycle lane before the taper.

If I know the place you;re talking about up in Ballybrit that also happens to be on a bend....not the best design ever. Even when I'm driving it I feel a bit anxious when there's a cyclist.

Yeah every morning now I also avoid the cycle lane after the Briarhill Junction going to Parkmore, it brings you up onto the footpath and stops. To rejoin traffic you have to come off the footpath at the bend up to Parkmore, dangerous and difficult to get back into the traffic.

Also when coming down the Seamus Quirke Road towards the bridge best get out of the cycle lane early before the roundabout or v difficult to rejoin traffic at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Came at the new junction last night eastbound on the Headford Road from the Woodquay direction. That new right turn out of the Galway Shopping Centre is deadly dangerous. I nearly crashed into a woman who was attempting to make the turn. When she saw me coming she stopped - blocking the lane into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

serfboard wrote: »
    Came at the new junction last night eastbound on the Headford Road from the Woodquay direction. That new right turn out of the Galway Shopping Centre is deadly dangerous. I nearly crashed into a woman who was attempting to make the turn. When she saw me coming she stopped - blocking the lane into town.

To do that right turn out from Tesco is very tricky. The only safe way to do it is if traffic is completely stopped, and you can then move out into the yellow box. If traffic is moving slowly it can be a disaster as you suggested. The situation arises where a motorist heading into Woodquay is trying to be courteous and they let you cross their side of the road, but then you are relying on motorists coming from Woodquay to let you into the flow of traffic.

The only safe way to do it is if traffic is completely stopped, and you can then move out into the yellow box.
    Which of course you're not supposed to do unless your way is clear out of the yellow box. This is what happened the woman last night.

I suspect that this right turn was put in to appease the Shopping Centre businesses, but it is not safe and should either be traffic-lighted (:eek:) or closed.

Cars wanting to turn right can use the entrance/exit closer to town.

That new right turn out of the Retail Park (cinema) will be unsafe as well, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Which of course you're not supposed to do unless your way is clear out of the yellow box. This is what happened the woman last night.

I suspect that this right turn was put in to appease the Shopping Centre businesses, but it is not safe and should either be traffic-lighted (:eek:) or closed.

Cars wanting to turn right can use the entrance/exit closer to town.

That new right turn out of the Retail Park (cinema) will be unsafe as well, IMO.
    They did not think this through. as you say the RT exit from both shopping centers is dangerous.In my opinion in the beginning there should have been a traffic light junction where the entrance to the retail park is now, beside Mcdonalds This would have been safe for every road user and pedestrians. Just think you would have been able to drive back and forth between the shopping centers. and there would be no problem turning right or left from any direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

That right turn is going to be deadly alright.

On a positive though, sailed through the last few mornings. Coming from Claregalway, usual line from Roadstone to Flemings but no tailback at all at Motorpark and took probably 3 mins to get from there to QB. That was at 8.30am yesterday and 10.40am this morning. Good job.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    That right turn is going to be deadly alright.

On a positive though, sailed through the last few mornings. Coming from Claregalway, usual line from Roadstone to Flemings but no tailback at all at Motorpark and took probably 3 mins to get from there to QB. That was at 8.30am yesterday and 10.40am this morning. Good job.

I think the lights work great. If only people obeyed the rules.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Yep came through at 8:40 for a look on same route - went straight up Sean Mulvoy.
    That said, I think the layout of the cycle lane on the Sean Mulvoy side is dangerous. (This is independently of the issue of the slip lane from the Headford road which shouldnt be there)

The tapering cycle lane can be seen at about 24s in to the video provided by Huggs2
    huggs2 wrote: »

Was that filmed today or yesterday? There are 2 large unmissable VMS signs on the bridge telling people that left turn is by the slip road only. There are road markings and the lights only have a straight ahead arrow at the junction. Anyone who continues to turn left here is either blind or a moron, but in either case really should not be behind the wheel of a car.

Anyone who continues to turn left here is either blind or a moron, but in either case really should not be behind the wheel of a car.
    Saw a good one this morning. At the junction heading into town on the Headford Road, there's a car in the leftmost lane. He hops into the bus lane. Fair enough, says I, he's going to use the left slip road (onto Sean Mulvoy). But he doesn't! He goes straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Saw a good one this morning. At the junction heading into town on the Headford Road, there's a car in the leftmost lane. He hops into the bus lane. Fair enough, says I, he's going to use the left slip road (onto Sean Mulvoy). But he doesn't! He goes straight!

I drove in that way last night and thought it was badly marked. It looked like the bus Lane ended at the slip road. I think that bit of Lane should be left turn only. Can't really see it speeding up buses trying to go straight through and it merges again too quickly the other side

Was that filmed today or yesterday? There are 2 large unmissable VMS signs on the bridge telling people that left turn is by the slip road only. There are road markings and the lights only have a straight ahead arrow at the junction. Anyone who continues to turn left here is either blind or a moron, but in either case really should not be behind the wheel of a car.

Midday today.Correct me if i am wrong but i think the lights are green from the 2 slip lanes at the same time as straight on. If so this makes it really dangerous
    as that car would be driving into 2 fast lanes of traffic from the left.Those large signs also mention the N6.

Midday today.Correct me if i am wrong but i think the lights are green from the 2 slip lanes at the same time as straight on. If so this makes it really dangerous
    as that car would be driving into 2 fast lanes of traffic from the left.Those large signs also mention the N6.

I'm not sure of the sequence but it would make the most sense for straight ahead to Sean Mulvoy and the slip to Kirwin to both have green at the same time as there would be no cross traffic heading eastbound apart from the morons who turn left when they shouldn't. I'm still treating that slip like the old one for now being vigilant that a car might be oncoming illegally. I really hope people start getting ticketed for this illegal turn.

Yesterday I saw a taxi come down from Sean Mulvoy Rd and do a U-Turn back up Sean Mulvoy. I'm guessing he came from Tesco exit on Sean Mulvoy Rd and it was his alternative to bothering with the right-turn at the other Tesco exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm not sure of the sequence but it would make the most sense for straight ahead to Sean Mulvoy and the slip to Kirwin to both have green at the same time as there would be no cross traffic heading eastbound apart from the morons who turn left when they shouldn't. I'm still treating that slip like the old one for now being vigilant that a car might be oncoming illegally. I really hope people start getting ticketed for this illegal turn.
    As I've said earlier, the chances of people getting finec at these junctions are extremely low, it'll take a serious collision for anything to be done.
    The only junction I've ever seen the AGS watch out for illegal turns and stop them was at the old junction between the old monivea road and the Ballybane road when you couldnt turn right coming from the eircom side of the monivea road.

I've yet to see the AGS at any other lights or RABs'.

A bit more active enforcement of our current laws would save this country millions!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

One of these would be ideal :pac:

CCTV-camera-009.jpg

kippy wrote: »
    A bit more active enforcement of our current laws would save this country millions!

Is there any facility to send in the likes of the video captured there? There should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

These illegal u-turns are very dangerous for pedestrians. Often vechicles doing it are running through the green phase on a pedestrian crossing. This illegal behaviour also occurs on the new Seamus Quirke / Bishop O Donnell Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

J o e wrote: »
    Is there any facility to send in the likes of the video captured there? There should be.

Maybe if they were sent to the Gardaí somehow, they'd start manning the junctions until people copped on?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

That particular no left turn is a bit odd.

I understand why it is required; but I can't think of another junction anywhere like it where a left turn, which doesn't go against one way traffic, is prohibited. Is it seen anywhere else in the City?

I can see many people ending up in that lane unintentional for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The tapering cycle lane can be seen at about 24s in to the video provided by Huggs2

Good (ie bad) example of the way cycle lanes are often afterthoughts or tick-box exercises, not linked to any coherent strategy or integrated plan. Presumably the funding for this project only applied to a specified area. In which case just end the cycle lane where the funds run out, and let cyclists work it out for themselves.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Good (ie bad) example of the way cycle lanes are often afterthoughts or tick-box exercises, not linked to any coherent strategy or integrated plan. Presumably the funding for this project only applied to a specified area. In which case just end the cycle lane where the funds run out, and let cyclists work it out for themselves.

Here is a cyclist who has his own ideas. Watch out for him in the outside lane and notice the empty cycle lane on the left. From this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

In my opinion in the beginning there should have been a traffic light junction where the entrance to the retail park is now, beside Mcdonalds This would have been safe for every road user and pedestrians. Just think you would have been able to drive back and forth between the shopping centers. and there would be no problem turning right or left from any direction.
    I think the lights work great. If only people obeyed the rules.

I have major reservations about the new entrance to the Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road, which as someone suggested earlier might have been a concession to them to gain their support for the overall project.

When driving, turning right out of the GSC from here is a horrible process. Additionally, pedestrians walking on the footpath past the GSC have to contend with those useless crossings (see pic below), and despite the new traffic island motorists are still turning right into the GSC from the Headford Road at this junction.

IMO this general situation places pedestrians in the position of having to contend with three streams of regular traffic, which routinely obstruct the junction, and one stream of illegal traffic.

I had a quick look at the new 'Bodkin' junction recently, and while walking near the new GSC entrance/exit I happened to bump into an engineer associated with the project. I took the opportunity to point out the issues affecting pedestrians at this location (taking the photo as we spoke), and made the above point regarding the four streams of traffic etc.

In a nutshell, his response was that pedestrians are not crossing four or even three streams of traffic. They are crossing one, then another and then another. When I ventured to suggest that 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 (+ 1 = 4) he simply shook his head and said no, each crossing was a separate entity. Personally I regard that as a bizarre notion, entirely removed from the reality of crossing roads with children, buggies, wheelchairs or whatever. But maybe that's how roads engineers think?

I also pointed out the way in which the crossing was -- sorry, the crossings were constantly being obstructed by motorists waiting to exit. He said that they should be stopping behind the yield line. When I asked what might make them do that, he simply said "the Rules of the Road".

So there you have it: the actual use of these junctions is nothing to do with the design. The engineering is fine, and when actual behaviour departs from the design specification the fault lies entirely with the road user. That's my interpretation of the apparent 'theory' anyway.

279163.jpg

PS The thought of people "driving back and forth between the shopping centres" fills me with horror.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Here is a cyclist who has his own ideas. Watch out for him in the outside lane and notice the empty cycle lane on the left. From this afternoon.

Note the way your video evidence has been ignored by the anti car lobby whereas jail was called for for the driver making an illegal left turn.

I'm sure our resident cameraman(still) would gladly ignore it too if he were at the scene and focus on other issues to suit his agenda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement