Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodkin / Headford Road roundabout replacement [Lights are on!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It's rather annoying that they wrote the lane directions on the road which tends to be covered by cars.

I've never understood the preference for road markings above signage.

Department of Transport guidelines (2010) state that "road markings have the limitation that they may be obscured by snow, leaves or debris on the carriageway." No mention is made of road markings being obscured by heavy traffic, yet the same document says that "the continued increase in the volume of traffic using the roads makes the extensive use of road markings essential to ensure that full advantage is taken of the available road space."

Supposedly road markings "have the advantage that they can often be seen when an upright sign is obscured and, unlike such signs, they can provide a continuing message to the moving driver."

Another thing I find odd is the frequent reversal of word order in road markings, eg it's Lána Bus in one place and Bus Lána in another. There's at least one very peculiar example in the city, but I can't remember the wording and location just now.

I wonder whether more overhead signage is to be added to this junction in due course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I really enjoy how people using the inside lane (closest to middle of road) take the right hand turn onto the QB from Headford road direction and have their car halfway over the next lane when entering the bridge :confused:. This happened me the first time I took the turn and forced me onto the cycle lane to avoid collision. Since then its happened a few more times but I stagger between cars when taking the turn now to avoid collision. It can't be that hard to stay on your own lane but I'm thinking most people are doing so as there not aware of the two lane turn, usually indicated by lack of cars in outside lane.

As above more signage is badly needed, overhead signage been a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I really enjoy how people using the inside lane (closest to middle of road) take the right hand turn onto the QB from Headford road direction and have their car halfway over the next lane when entering the bridge :confused:. This happened me the first time I took the turn and forced me onto the cycle lane to avoid collision. Since then its happened a few more times but I stagger between cars when taking the turn now to avoid collision. It can't be that hard to stay on your own lane but I'm thinking most people are doing so as there not aware of the two lane turn, usually indicated by lack of cars in outside lane.

I've had the same experience there. I was starting to wonder is the road slightly narrow at that turn or are there a lot of drivers who can't stay in one Lane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

These was a motor accident at Topaz newcastle at 11am and it blocked the bridge all the way back to this junction.
    It looked nasty, someone carried away on a stretcher and a damaged car.
    Dunno what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I was in Dunnes Terryland today and what a job to get out of the place, the lights went green but I could not go as some dick coming from the Menlo direction just sat in the yellow box preventing me getting out, also only two cars at a time getting out as the lights go from green to red so fast, one other gripe is as you come out the lights to your left are pointing at Dunnes stores so you cant see them. very confusing light set up going to be great fun there coming up to Christmas im sure Dunnes are not amused.

• Advertisement

Another consequence of the Dunnes lights:
    If traffic is backed up on Headford Rd inbound, take a left into Dunnes, drive through the car park, then out. You'll skip the traffic as they'll have to stop at the red light. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

snubbleste wrote: »
    Another consequence of the Dunnes lights:
    If traffic is backed up on Headford Rd inbound, take a left into Dunnes, drive through the car park, then out. You'll skip the traffic as they'll have to stop at the red light. :)

You missed the post above yours. The exit out of dunnes is now usually backed up. It's a welcome change as far as i am concerned. The majority of traffic coming out of the dunnes car park during rush hour has always been rat runners racing through the car park to beat the headford road queue. Now the lights with short green sequence at the exit is a massive disincentive to these rat runners.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

zarquon wrote: »
    You missed the post above yours. The exit out of dunnes is now usually backed up. It's a welcome change as far as i am concerned. The majority of traffic coming out of the dunnes car park during rush hour has always been rat runners racing through the car park to beat the headford road queue. Now the lights with short green sequence at the exit is a massive disincentive to these rat runners.

The light coming from Dunnes out is good but the hatched junction in front of it, there are usually pricks that drove onto the hatched area with no way of getting out.
    Hence blocking off traffic coming in from Dun Na Coiribe or Dunnes.

zarquon wrote: »
    No I did not.
    Two cars diverted into Dunnes and exited as the light was green for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've noticed this as well. As another poster said, it feels as if the road narrows. I reckon someone will end up going up the little ramp to the off-road cycle lane without realising it at some stage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I heard traffic out of Dunnes might not be as bad soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sgthighway wrote: »
    I heard traffic out of Dunnes might not be as bad soon.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

why?

Ignore. It was just a bad rumour floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Another collison on the bridge this morning westbound just at the junction between a motorbike and car. Looked minor enough but was creating a large tailback of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I thought the priority was for thorough traffic on the N6. This planning application appears to contravene this idea ie. facilitate local traffic
    Am I misguided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

This sounds like a ridiculous idea. As it is, the distance from the slip lanes to Dun na Coiribe lights is short enough.
    Add in the fact that the right lane will now be a turning lane into Dunnes & you're gonna cause traffic chaos.

you'll have a backlog of people in the left lane of the slip, unwilling to use the right lane due to the fact they'll potentially get caught behind someone going to Dunnes. Most likely get a similar effect coming from town.
    This will reduce capacity through the brand new junction at peak times.

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

This sounds like a ridiculous idea. As it is, the distance from the slip lanes to Dun na Coiribe lights is short enough.
    Add in the fact that the right lane will now be a turning lane into Dunnes & you're gonna cause traffic chaos.

you'll have a backlog of people in the left lane of the slip, unwilling to use the right lane due to the fact they'll potentially get caught behind someone going to Dunnes. Most likely get a similar effect coming from town.
    This will reduce capacity through the brand new junction at peak times.

Genius.

from what i understand they are creating a third lane which is to be the right hand turn lane into dunnes? thought it goes in the area where the old median island/pedestrian crossing was? therefore will still be 2 lanes free for outbound traffic on the n6... could be wrong

ballinadog wrote: »
    from what i understand they are creating a third lane which is to be the right hand turn lane into dunnes? thought it goes in the area where the old median island/pedestrian crossing was? therefore will still be 2 lanes free for outbound traffic on the n6... could be wrong

I wouldn't have thought there was enough space there for a right turning lane.
    Will have to have a closer look during daylight hours in the morning.

Whatever it is, they're admitting a screw-up in design and almost immediately after completion are scheduling re-modelling works to the new layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

How can they already want to redesign after such a short period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

I wouldn't have thought there was enough space there for a right turning lane.
    Will have to have a closer look during daylight hours in the morning.

Whatever it is, they're admitting a screw-up in design and almost immediately after completion are scheduling re-modelling works to the new layout.

this has been in the pipeline since august, just coincidence that it took this long to get thru planning. got nothing to do with screw ups or re-modelling the new layout

this has been in the pipeline since august, just coincidence that it took this long to get thru planning. got nothing to do with screw ups or re-modelling the new layout

Thanks for the clarification.
    From the galwaybayfm article, I read it as a right turn at the dun na coiribe junction.

Still can't say I like the idea, more delays coming from the Pillo Hotel to the Bodkin junction, which will then be the 3rd set of lights in such a short space, and become the 4th once the Kirwan is replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

They will be redesigning again after Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

this has been in the pipeline since august
    Thanks for the clarification.
    From the galwaybayfm article, I read it as a right turn at the dun na coiribe junction.

Still can't say I like the idea, more delays coming from the Pillo Hotel to the Bodkin junction, which will then be the 3rd set of lights in such a short space, and become the 4th once the Kirwan is replaced.
    You can be guaranteed Dunnes lobbied like hell for this.

What are they trying to do - create more congestion?

Un-fúckin-believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It's going to be like driving through Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Another junction!!!

Bodkin, the gift that keeps on giving. They must be right stuck for work in Galway city council, they have no shame dipping into the public purse either when they like. Money that could be better spent else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I see they have painted lines on the road to help guide people into the correct lane so this should help.

Although still a long line of traffic on inside lane backing up traffic with outside lane almost clear again this afternoon!

They've also put another mobile electronic sign on the approach from the bridge.
    Now there are two massive signs obstructing the footpath.
    No warnings stating the footpath is closed, no diversions provided, no excuses given why the footpath is blocked or any indication who abandoned the equipment there, no apology for discommoding the wayfarer, etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

snubbleste wrote: »
    They've also put another mobile electronic sign on the approach from the bridge.
    Now there are two massive signs obstructing the footpath.
    No warnings stating the footpath is closed, no diversions provided, no excuses given why the footpath is blocked or any indication who abandoned the equipment there, no apology for discommoding the wayfarer, etc etc etc

Any pictures or are you blowing a tiny obstruction completely out of proportion like you did below?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86942721&postcount=383

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Any pictures or are you blowing a tiny obstruction completely out of proportion like you did below?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86942721&postcount=383
    They are far from tiny. They completely block the pedestrian part of the pavement and extend out a little bit into the cycle lane. There were actually three of them in place when I drove over the bridge on Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement