Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder what happened here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Pumped out too much air, collapsed the tank walls - possibly because valve was stuck - not unknown to happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Big_Evil wrote: »
    Pumped out too much air, collapsed the tank walls - possibly because valve was stuck - not unknown to happen....

you mean he left the pump running for to long when it was empty of slurry ?

I wounder if you had the pipe stuck on the bottom of the tank to could that cause the walls of the tank to collaspe too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I recall a heated debate here less than a year ago where people argued that this could never happen to a tanker!! :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

it can happen and does happen.with the dirt on it it lokks like it was rolled. sign of a good pump if the pipes sucks solid on the floor or wall it will suck the tank in.me boss rolled the tank swivel hitch, and it dented it all in.he built up the pressure in it with the back closed and a man held the safety release in,:rolleyes: he kept the revs going and closed de back window:) and the tractor started to die(130hp) before it eventualy blew itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'm just wondering has the new eye on the drawbar got anything to do with it's demise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Bizzum wrote: »
    I'm just wondering has the new eye on the drawbar got anything to do with it's demise?

:D:D:D LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Dupont wrote: »
    it can happen and does happen.with the dirt on it it lokks like it was rolled. sign of a good pump if the pipes sucks solid on the floor or wall it will suck the tank in.me boss rolled the tank swivel hitch, and it dented it all in.he built up the pressure in it with the back closed and a man held the safety release in,:rolleyes: he kept the revs going and closed de back window:) and the tractor started to die(130hp) before it eventualy blew itself out.

Id have been nervous standing beside them doing that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

reilig wrote: »
    I recall a heated debate here less than a year ago where people argued that this could never happen to a tanker!! :D:p

I have seen 2 different tanks that it happened to reilig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bizzum wrote: »

Well spotted.

Dupont wrote: »
    ......me boss rolled the tank swivel hitch, and it dented it all in.he built up the pressure in it with the back closed and a man held the safety release in,:rolleyes: he kept the revs going and closed de back window:) and the tractor started to die(130hp) before it eventualy blew itself out.

That is a f**king crazy thing to do. If the tank split, both of you would have been killed.
    I work with pressure vessels in my job. There is strict regulation on their design and manufacture. We have a guy that comes and inspects our vessels, before they are sold. He was in a factory one day where an air vessel exploded. It went through the roof of the factory and went 100 yards down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJVHtF8GwI&feature=related
    http://www.madisonrecord.com/news/231961-injured-seaman-seeks-46-million-over-air-tank-explosion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tilting tim

reilig wrote: »

When I was doing my months work experience for ag college, the farmer had just bought a new pump for the vacuum tank. He was so proud of it, "sucked up slurry quicker than anything he had ever seen", he spent the next day I was there painting the whole tank, great job, looked like new. Next day about 4 loads out and didn't it suck in the tank :eek: pretty cool to watch him blow it up like a football again after.
    He wasn't too happy that I couldn't stop laughing for about half an hour and spent the next 2 days smiling at him about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

When I was doing my months work experience for ag college, the farmer had just bought a new pump for the vacuum tank. He was so proud of it, "sucked up slurry quicker than anything he had ever seen", he spent the next day I was there painting the whole tank, great job, looked like new. Next day about 4 loads out and didn't it suck in the tank :eek: pretty cool to watch him blow it up like a football again after.
    He wasn't too happy that I couldn't stop laughing for about half an hour and spent the next 2 days smiling at him about it!!

what pressure do you have to put into it to blow it back out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'd guess some sort of accident which caused the drawbar replacement also put some sort of dent in the tank, which would allow it to collapse. they have to be pretty much perfectly round/smooth or a dent can cause collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

why doesnt some one ring and ask and report back:)

Think what happens when a childs balloon explodes. Would you like to be hear a large steel balloon when it explodes?
    Remember the walls of the tanker have been well damaged during the collapse.
    I know when we test our pressure vessells, we pump water into the tanks, as air is considered too dangerous. The reason being, is if you get a small hole, the water comes out and the pressure drops instantly. With air it just keeps on coming. If you ever let air out of a compressor tank you will see this.
    Safety first and all that.!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We had a Major tank that sucked itself in a couple of years ago - exactly the same as the donedeal 1

The tank looked perfect to look at but the metal had become weak and the vacuum pulled it in - the structural integrity of it had gone - some bang when it went let me tell you. The brother nearly leaped out of the tractor with fright!!

It happens quite regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Old tank, reconditioned pump, Hmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fear tuath

This happened to me this year .the tank was purchased 2nd hand by my dad in 1984,I was on its last legs anyhow,full of holes and rust but did its 2 days work for us each year.I rebuilt the pump over the winter and on the last few loads i was sweeping around the tank when BANG and it imploded,scared the crap out of me.Only good thing is when you have remove the tank you the makings of a bale trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

just rang him.....chuck Norris leaned against it made ****e of it!!!

Advertisement