Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutrinos and black holes.

Options
  • 28-10-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've recently really gotten into astrophysics; I just find that reading all the information is just so interesting. The one thing I always found interesting though was black holes. Once something enters a black hole it's unable to escape because nothing could travel faster than the speed of light. But now with the recent discovery of neutrinos moving faster than the speed of light what does that mean for black holes? Does that mean that theoretically neutrinos can pass through black holes with no problems or does that mean that there is in fact a faster speed than the speed of light? I really hope that makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Let us say that to escape a black hole something must travel at X mph. Light travels at less than X mph and so can not escape.

If (and it is still a big IF) the neutrinos travel faster than light, they may still be slower than X mph and may still not escape.

No idea if it is a fact but my own idea is that the bigger the black hole the higher it's escape velocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What about Hawking radiation that is seen being ejected from a feeding blackhole, this radiation has the speed to escape or emit from it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KJIAF

What about Hawking radiation that is seen being ejected from a feeding blackhole, this radiation has the speed to escape or emit from it anyway.

That was the other aspect of it too. I was just reading about that and that just further complicates things. So either the basic concept of a black hole is either flawed from the beginning or radiation and neutrinos have special properties. Not that I'm a scientist at all, just a fan of physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Have a look at suskind versus hawking on youtube if you havent already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Technically it's not being emitted from the BH. A very simplistic explanation would be, a particle/anti-particle pair appear at the event horizon, the particle escapes and the anti-particle falls in, therefore reducing the overall energy of the BH, the escaping particle is the Hawking Radiation, no FTL travel is invoked.
    This is my take on it, though not being a physicist I could well be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KJIAF

Have a look at suskind versus hawking on youtube if you havent already.

Oh that's really interesting. You know I never once thought to look at Youtube for any of this stuff; always just reading articles online. Cheers for recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I may be wrong on this so please excuse me if I am, but I see it as 'indigestion' The BH is swallowing as much as it can but if there is too much, some of it gets spilled down it's bib. Basically I see it as just too much at once, and it has to go somewhere else.

Advertisement