Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Ongar held up...Again!

Options
  • 28-10-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

In the last 2 hours, Dunnes Stores in Ongar Village has been held up yet again. This is at least the 5th occassion I can recall this happening. As a past employee, I've witnessed this first hand and it's far from a pleasant experience for those involved. The time I was there, two men in helmets wielding a hammer and a firearm (imitation or not is irrelevant) came in terrified a middle aged lady cashier. She was out with stress for a long while after.

Why does this keep happening without reprisals? It always occurs in the late evenings and usually at weekends, as I'd assume takings are higher at those times. Thoughts are with the employees and customers caught up in this atrociously malicious act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah I was there just after it must have happened, a lot of people looked shocked and the guards were taking witness statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It must be the fact that there are so many escape routes from Ongar e.g. Dunboyne, Leixlip, Lucan or either way up the N3. The robbery rate is unbelievable though. On one occasion the perpetrators waited until the store was shut and ram-raided the entrance where the ATM is and stole it while the cash was in transit from the ATM to the Cash Vault. They've since moved the ATM further around into the frozen section and blocked up the pedesrian entrance so you have to walk along the back of the checkouts to gain access.

Is there anything security/managment or the Gardai can realistically do to prevent this occuring again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HAWK360

Was in Dunnes when it happened,just 2 counter beside the man with the gun, the Staff were very good and handled the situation very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

:(
    Oh sh1t the girls up there are so nice I hope they are all ok today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Omackeral wrote: »

Is there anything security/managment or the Gardai can realistically do to prevent this occuring again?

Yeah! Close the Kip down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

robertxxx wrote: »

Best comment I have ever read here. That's sarcasm by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

And where would we shop?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You've made your feelings about Ongar quite clear at this stage. Nobody's forcing you to post in these threads so I suggest you stay out of them in future before you find yourself banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I hope they are going to fix the old entrance up... Doesn't look great atm - with the old turnstile type thingie still there and the back of the fridges visible.

I wasn't aware that it was a multiple target for holdups :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Zaph wrote: »
    You've made your feelings about Ongar quite clear at this stage. Nobody's forcing you to post in these threads so I suggest you stay out of them in future before you find yourself banned from the forum.

A fair point Zaph. I mentioned in a new thread in this section, the voter turnout for Ongar was very poor on Thursday and it maybe an opportunity now for the people in Ongar to become more of an active community.

I will be buying in that area quite soon and i spoke to the owner of Kellys bar last week and he gave me a run down of the concerns he has there.

As an area it has allot of potential to develop in to a top community IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Was chattin with some of th girls today, they are all grand they got a fright as would be expected. They got away with a couple of grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Heard from a staff member in Dunnes Ongar that it was robbed again earlier tonight. Don't know any more details than that but everyone working there looked pretty shaken up, as you would imagine and understand. Sickening that it happens so often...it seems to be a yearly event now. The opening post was put up on the 28th Oct 2011 which was also a Friday...it must be a lucrative takings day with people getting supplies for the weekend. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Justask wrote: »
    They got away with a couple of grand.

They will keep coming back so.

Couple of grand for a couple of minutes work. If you were in this line of business what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Widthofacircle

I was there when it happened last night,around 8 o clock. Caught a side glimpse of the raider. Was very aggressive and roaring at the girl. The girl at the checkout is pregnant and looked very shaken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I was there when it happened last night,around 8 o clock. Caught a side glimpse of the raider. Was very aggressive and roaring at the girl. The girl at the checkout is pregnant and looked very shaken

That sounds terrible. Poor girl.

Did the raider have a mask on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Widthofacircle

Yeah he had a hood with a scarf over his face. Was talking to one of the girls in the shop today, turns out there were two of them, one held up one of the main checkouts and the other raided the sweet counter checkout. I only saw the one at the main checkouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Dunnes Ongar was the victim of another hold up yet again on Friday night. I do feel sorry for the staff having to work under that risk. (And of course customers) All it takes is for an unintended distraction or nervous burglar to make a gun go off and potential tragic consequences.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gun-fell-apart-in-dunnes-holdup-after-thief-dropped-weapon-34284525.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

dubs gona dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

OMG, that's been held up more times can I remember at this stage. Quick Ongarians, move out of there! :rolleyes:
    redarmy wrote: »
    dubs gona dub

Nah, must have been a Meath man that stepped over the border for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That must be the first raid since the security measures were increased in the shop, one-way in and out etc. I can only imagine they monitor the Garda activity because Ongar is an easy enough spot to cordon off, especially Dunnes with only two narrow vehicle accesses

• Advertisement

dubs gona dub

Thank you for your insightful contribution. Please don't call again.

I saw that one of the employees has gotten onto Cllr David McGuinness via Facebook. She's been caught up in at least three of them now. Bloody disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And what does she think he can do about it?

Maybe she's fed up with her and her colleagues having guns and hammers thrust into their faces and is just looking for a community leader to be notified, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

dubs gona dub

Culchies gonna misspell - that's hedge schools for ya !! :D

dubdec99 wrote: »
    Culchies gonna misspell - that's hedge schools for ya !! :D

And you needn't bother contributing any more to this thread either thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And what does she think he can do about it?

A bit of police presence would make a nice change. The only time I see them around, is tax and revenue checks on the link road or speed checks on the N3.

Fingal County Council have a Joint Policing Committee for just such reasons, but Cllr McGuinness doesnt sit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Seriously...this must be the most held up supermarket in the country. Another incident last Sunday night. Thankfully the culprits were caught. I'm almost half afraid to do my shopping there these days such is the risk of a hold up!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unarmed-community-gardai-arrest-raiders-who-threatened-supermarket-staff-with-gun-and-knife-34536724.html

Advertisement