Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon's Black Friday Lightening - Starts Monday 22nd November!!

• 28-10-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just read on HUKD that Amazon.co.uk will be having another Black Friday Lightening Sale week. I spent hours on the Computer last year and got nothing:( But will I be able to resist doing the same this year? No!! And I advise that everyone else join me so that a fun and yet bitter and twisted thread can happen right here! It begins the week of the 24th as far as I can make out.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=161428031

I can't remember did it go on for a few days last year or was it just the one day. Surely I didn't spend days on the computer last year for this. Must search for the last years thread to see what happened:pac:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqTqAAQ9GVuGRXNbi--yx_OZdyCpNsaSqB5TTrWkeOWF7vvVB8
    Black Friday Deals Week
    What Is Black Friday and When Is It?
    "Black Friday" is a US retail phenomenon that Amazon.co.uk launched in the UK last year.

Black Friday, which follows the US national holiday of Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday every November, sees retailers offering unprecedented discounts in time-limited deals, and is seen as a starting gun for the peak Christmas shopping period.

Black Friday Deals Week 2010 on Amazon.co.uk
    In 2010, Black Friday set a new precedent in the UK retail calendar. With over 500 deals in five days, offering discounts of up to 80% on a range of bestselling products, including hit CDs from Susan Boyle and Take That for £1, and Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo Wii consoles for £50. Other highlights included huge savings on LEGO, Adobe software, Timex watches, and Sony TVs.
    Why is it Called Black Friday?
    There are a number of theories about where the name "Black Friday" came from. To some people, this date was the start of the period when US retailers began to make a profit--they moved into the black, after running at a loss for the prior months of the year. Others believe the name comes from a negative description by the police, as it was a black day because of the chaotic traffic jams, busy shopping streets and excitable behaviour of bargain-hunting shoppers.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Uh-Oh :P

That's my work productivity gone out the window...

In fairness I got a few decent things last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Uh-Oh :P

In fairness I got a few decent things last year.

Example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It was awful last year but some of the comments were hilarious.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got Collectors edition Goldeneye for the Wii, Panasonic DETC phones, Photoshop and 2 or 3 other things. all were very cheap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I got Collectors edition Goldeneye for the Wii, Panasonic DETC phones, Photoshop and 2 or 3 other things. all were very cheap
    You bought photoshop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Does a section appear for black friday, or is there a way to easily find the deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

lindtee wrote: »
    including hit CDs from Susan Boyle and Take That for £1,
    People paid as much as £1 for Susan Boyle - and Take That?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I sort of remember it last year but I cant remember how it works. Is it like a first come first serve thing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

It was a disaster last year.
    I was overcharged on the nigella books because i didnt pay within an hour, even though it was never mentioned anywhere that you only had a certain amount of time to pay.
    I had forgotten about all that, thanks lindtee for reminding me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh goodie!

I got this for £50 last year.

Great buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can they bring the 1:1 exchange rate back too? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

yup twas a week last year too. i wish i had been better prepared. i only got a couple things cos i didn't have the money for things so didn't bother bidding. so took the week of my life all the same :P bring it on.

anyone got a linky to last years thread, wanna re-read!

hdowney wrote: »
    anyone got a linky to last years thread, wanna re-read!
    There you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Basq wrote: »
    Oh goodie!

Great buy!

You always come up smiling....Pardon the pun:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

whenisitwhenisit

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

lindtee wrote: »
    Just read on HUKD that Amazon.co.uk will be having another Black Friday Lightening Sale week. I spent hours on the Computer last year and got nothing:( But will I be able to resist doing the same this year? No!! And I advise that everyone else join me so that a fun and yet bitter and twisted thread can happen right here! It begins the week of the 24th as far as I can make out.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=161428031

I can't remember did it go on for a few days last year or was it just the one day. Surely I didn't spend days on the computer last year for this. Must search for the last years thread to see what happened:pac:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqTqAAQ9GVuGRXNbi--yx_OZdyCpNsaSqB5TTrWkeOWF7vvVB8

Thanks, that's absolutely fantastic, Linda.

Basq wrote: »
    Oh goodie!

Great buy!

pfft! As if I'd have a use for that. :pac:

pfft! As if I'd have a use for that. :pac:
    Yeah, I can smell your halitosis from here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What part of Amazon do i go in to to get the bargains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Thanks OP, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on deals for that week =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

whenisitwhenisit

per op's amazon link: Black Friday, which follows the US national holiday of Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday every November

last for a week??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Judging by last year's thread, they have a nice bit of stock available to sell at these Black Friday sales. So you have some sort of chance of getting something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Lads do Amazon ship bikes to Ireland, I got one in these sales last year but didn't claim it in time, anyways still looking for a bike so just wondering if they ship to here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

^^^Just added a random adults bike to my basket and went to checkout and I could get it delivered here:)

Might be a bit early but just another heads up about Amazons Boxing Day Deals which started at 00.00 on St Stephens Day;) last year, picked up loads of gift sets last year at highly reduced prices! If you can manage to still be awake by then its defo worth a look, did far better out of that than the Black Friday deals.

Kind of glad I will be in college for most of the Black Friday deals week but can foresee that in the evenings it will get priority over essays and assignments. Hope that they have it a bit better set up than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Hi can someone please tell me when this sale will start? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Read the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Read the OP.

Ah right didnt see that thanks

Read the OP.
    How does if work?? Is it a first come first serve thing ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You keep hitting F5 around the time it starts to refresh the page and get the item before everyone else.
    If you're lucky, you'll see the item for sale.
    If you're very lucky it will be something that you want and actually a good price.
    If you've got a PC built out of horseshoes, clothes made of rabbit feet and you've eaten lucky charms for breakfast, you'll actually get it into to cart on time and paid for (really applicable for the best deals which are gone in a few seconds).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Monotype wrote: »
    You keep hitting F5 around the time it starts to refresh the page and get the item before everyone else.
    If you're lucky, you'll see the item for sale.
    If you're very lucky it will be something that you want and actually a good price.
    If you've got a PC built out of horseshoes, clothes made of rabbit feet and you've eaten lucky charms for breakfast, you'll actually get it into to cart on time and paid for (really applicable for the best deals which are gone in a few seconds).

Turn on one click shopping if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Don't you get a "ticket" rather than having to put it into your basket and buy it before it goes out of stock?

Having read last years thread, it would seem that once you get the "ticket" you have until 23:59 to actually purchase the item if you need it.

I read last years thread. I think it's a bit of a scam. Almost no one gets the good stuff and when the hype is built they manage to get the crap stuff and buy it quick before it goes without asking if they really need it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I found that a lot of the stuff wasn't really good value. It was slightly discounted and you'd have to actually be intending to buy it.
    All the good stuff was gone before you'd get it to cart. I've got a faster internet connection this year, so maybe I might have an edge.
    I think competing with UK shoppers who are probably closer to the servers makes it more difficult to grab a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I managed to add a Braun shaver with super saver delivery to my cart (this one), But during checkout, was told it could not be shipped to Ireland.

I suppose it was because of the Clean & Renew solution that comes with the shaver since peroxide based contact lens solutions also do not ship here. I hope this time they state upfront on the item description itself, if it could be shipped here or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looks like you now have 15 mins to check out at the deal price or it expires. Last year you could wait until midnight.

Its better that way. It gives people who really want something a better chance

Irishchick wrote: »
    Its better that way. It gives people who really want something a better chance

it is, however i am now going to have to load up my o2 money card with cash before black friday week so that if i spot something i want the money is there ready to go. don't have a credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Don't you get a "ticket" rather than having to put it into your basket and buy it before it goes out of stock?

Having read last years thread, it would seem that once you get the "ticket" you have until 23:59 to actually purchase the item if you need it.

15 mins this year.
    I managed to add a Braun shaver with super saver delivery to my cart (this one), But during checkout, was told it could not be shipped to Ireland.

I suppose it was because of the Clean & Renew solution that comes with the shaver since peroxide based contact lens solutions also do not ship here. I hope this time they state upfront on the item description itself, if it could be shipped here or not.

Or possibly the blades?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Black Friday has to go along way to beating the Bargain Alert post of the year. Some of ye will remember this! How many posts will this thread chalk up and how many views :D

HP Touchpad Thread (NO Discussion Of Personal Buying/Selling)

HP have discontinued the Touchpad this week and are now letting them go for $99 (16GB) and $149 (32GB ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Black Friday Deals Week 2010 on Amazon.co.uk

Why is it Called Black Friday?
    There are a number of theories about where the name "Black Friday" came from. To some people, this date was the start of the period when US retailers began to make a profit--they moved into the black, after running at a loss for the prior months of the year. Others believe the name comes from a negative description by the police, as it was a black day because of the chaotic traffic jams, busy shopping streets and excitable behaviour of bargain-hunting shoppers.
    I thought it was named that after something Steve Williams has said - silly me!

Any one have any idea's guesses as to what they will offer. There is no new large console out but I have a feeling they may offer a reduced price 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Fiskar wrote: »
    Black Friday has to go along way to beating the Bargain Alert post of the year. Some of ye will remember this! How many posts will this thread chalk up and how many views :D

HP Touchpad Thread (NO Discussion Of Personal Buying/Selling)

HP have discontinued the Touchpad this week and are now letting them go for $99 (16GB) and $149 (32GB ...

My proudest moment! :')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

My proudest moment! :')

And thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Looks like they've added a limit for the amount of time you can have an offer in your basket before buying. Guessing this is an attempt to stop people attempting to add every offer to their basket. It won't work.

Merged with existing thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Hoping to get a Kinect!

hoping all the good shiz doesn't sell only on monday. i don't got a credit card, just an o2money which i gotta put dosh on to buy anything, and i don't get paid til tuesday sooo....

• Advertisement
Advertisement