Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Irish Republicans to admit their mistakes?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

ilovelois wrote: »
    you do know ulster is part of ireland. do you know what happened to th native irish people when these scots came over. did they buy the land. did they make sure that the native irish had enough land to raise there families. did they try to assimilate into irish culture. did they feed the irish when there tiny holdings where wrecked by blight. sure theres noting for the unionists to be embarrased about

How far back do you want to go ilovelois ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

ilovelois wrote: »
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Why should the Ulster Scots people go back to Scotland as you put it? They are from Ulster and proud to be Ulstermen and Ulsterwomen.
    you do know ulster is part of ireland. do you know what happened to th native irish people when these scots came over. did they buy the land. did they make sure that the native irish had enough land to raise there families. did they try to assimilate into irish culture. did they feed the irish when there tiny holdings where wrecked by blight. sure theres noting for the unionists to be embarrased about

If you want to play semantics then ulster is not part of 'ireland' only three county's are and the other six county's make up northern Ireland, but then you know that already. Ps the blight wasn't sectarian

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

snafuk35 wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    How did I imply bloody sunday was justified?

What is the difference between the murder of innocent civilians by British troops and the murder of innocent people by the IRA and UVF and the murder of innocent people by mad men in gun rampages in the US or other countries?

Anyone who can't see murder is murder is sick in the head.

Tell us your opinion on Larry White.
    Shot in 1975 & Bernard Lynch was put away along with 4 others for Larry's murder. Bernard was let off after a year when it was discovered that a warranty was out of date, not because of innocence.
    Bernard Lynch is married to Kathleen Lynch (jnr minister) and Bernard is now employed by the current govt!!!!!
    You couldn't make it up.
    Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    He's the only victim who matters don't ya know.

Or more accurately, he is the one whose death fits their agenda.
    It has been pointed out by me and others many times why the murder of McCabe, and in particular the behaviour of Martin Ferris upon his killers release, is worthy of particular attention because it raises serous questions about Sinn Fein’s commitment to democracy.

But no doubt you and the others will continue to pretend that we have somehow selected him as out favourite victim and use him as an excuse to beat up republicans. Would you not agree that if this really was our agenda there are many, many other victims of republican violence (e.g. the Warrington boys, Enniskillen etc.) what are fare more emotive, and thus effective, for that purpose?
    Blame British/Unionist intransigence, abuse of democracy and violence.
    A bit rich to have an apologist for PIRA talking about abuse of democracy! Maybe there is something in the water up North? The orange tribe had no qualms about denying a sizable minority of the population fair democratic representation, the green tribe (or at least a sizable number of them) had no qualms about ignoring the democratic representation of the vast majority of their own people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Wider Road wrote: »
    Shot in 1975 & Bernard Lynch was put away along with 4 others for Larry's murder. Bernard was let off after a year when it was discovered that a warranty was out of date, not because of innocence.
    Bernard Lynch is married to Kathleen Lynch (jnr minister) and Bernard is now employed by the current govt!!!!!
    You couldn't make it up.
    Well?

It's not right. Northern Ireland is a sick society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wider Road wrote: »
    Bernard Lynch is married to Kathleen Lynch (junior minister) and Bernard is now employed by the current govt!!!!!
    You couldn't make it up.
    Well?
    snafu 35 wrote: »
    It's not right. Northern Ireland is a sick society.

This above incident happened in cork.

Larry White was a member of republican splinter group Saor Éire. He fell out with Official Sinn Féin, which became workers party,democratic left,and finally merged into labour party,one of many splits between republican factions that occurred during the period.He did not suspect, however, that his position would cost him his life.
    Mr White was killed in a hail of bullets as he was walking home at midnight on June 10, 1975, in Cork city. The 25-year-old didn't stand a chance: he had been hit 12 times, mostly in the head.

‘You can take that,’ the gunman was heard to say before he made his getaway.

‘I would say he was the complete antithesis of the people who surrounded him that night and took his life in such an appalling and cowardly manner.
    ‘He was alone that night,’ she explained. ‘He had parted from some friends and neighbours and when he turned into Mount Eden Road there was a gang skulking there in the dark. They surrounded him.’

In the Garda investigation that followed, four men were arrested and charged.

Apart from Bernard Lynch, they were David O’Donnell, 21, of Rosewood Estate, Ballincollig, Co. Cork and Leeson Street, Belfast; Cornelius Finbar Doyle, 25, Nun’s Walk, Co. Cork; and Bartholomew Madden, 34, Owenacurra Court, Togher, Co. Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

lugha wrote: »
    A bit rich to have an apologist for PIRA talking about abuse of democracy!

You should be very careful about what you say. I consider this borderline slander.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

You should be very careful about what you say. I consider this borderline slander.
    I fail to see what you take issue with? :confused: You have throughout this thread defended physical force republicans (i.e. PIRA et al) who took it upon themselves to use violence on behalf of Irish people against the wishes of the Irish people. Democracy shamocracy is how I think you rebutted my objection to this anti-democratic behaviour.

Have you now changed your position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It has been pointed out by me and others many times why the murder of McCabe, and in particular the behaviour of Martin Ferris upon his killers release, is worthy of particular attention because it raises serous questions about Sinn Fein’s commitment to democracy.

But no doubt you and the others will continue to pretend that we have somehow selected him as out favourite victim and use him as an excuse to beat up republicans. Would you not agree that if this really was our agenda there are many, many other victims of republican violence (e.g. the Warrington boys, Enniskillen etc.) what are fare more emotive, and thus effective, for that purpose?

A bit rich to have an apologist for PIRA talking about abuse of democracy! Maybe there is something in the water up North? The orange tribe had no qualms about denying a sizable minority of the population fair democratic representation, the green tribe (or at least a sizable number of them) had no qualms about ignoring the democratic representation of the vast majority of their own people.
    Fantastic post. The Republican movement completely ignored the wishes of the majority of people. It wasn't until they got defeated and the GFA signed, that they realised that was never going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

headmaster wrote: »
    The IRA, or McGuiness, or any of those brave men, have nothing to apologise to anyone about.

Yeah, murder is really brave :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

headmaster wrote: »
    The IRA, or McGuiness, or any of those brave men, have nothing to apologise to anyone about

Really?
    Interesting. Delusional but interesting nonetheless. Obviously posted by someone either too young to remember or who has managed to come through unscathed and untouched by their misguided terror campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You have throughout this thread defended physical force republicans (i.e. PIRA et al)

Some of what the IRA did is indefensible by anyone's standards. I have already said that I think the killing of J Mc Cabe was cowardly and brutal, twice I think. People such as yourself continuously trot out the killing of that man and in my opinion it's not because you abhor his killing - it's because you abhor Sinn Fein.

The killing of those poeple in Fermanagh honouring their war dead was an appalling act. Those boys who were killed in Warrington was disgusting. There were plenty of things that the IRA did that were horrible violent acts perpetrated against people who in no way deserved it.

Perhaps shockingly for you I also consider many British Soldiers as victims of the troubles. Young men sent to do a dirty job for those who would rather have had them there and the RUC militia intact than have a taig about the place.

I just refuse to have proselytizers such as yourself with your selective amnesia for the violence and discrimination which took place preach about democracy, when it was abuse of democracy, by Unionists and the British which gave rise to these problems in the first place.
    Have you now changed your position?

What position? I don't have a clear cut position - I don't have static views on the matter.

I have a Nationalist background and many family members who suffered from discrimination because of the lack of respect for fairness, equality and democracy of those in power and the intransigence of the Unionist militia called the RUC who looked on while the civil rights movement was violently suppressed by loyalist thugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I wouldn't bother reporting it or anything, the powers that be on this forum don't care if you are accused of such things, in my case I was accused of supporting an attempted bombing in Derry by anti GFAers, I deserved the accusation apparently.

Advertisement