Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare field you cannot get out of?

• 28-10-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

I heard on radio about a field in Co Clare where it is said, if you go in there at night, you will not be able to get out of it until the following morning. Does anyone know where this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Lees Road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

You misheard, her name is Clare Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

Ive found many fields like that..
    Particlarly when im out with Lucy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

legend also has it that once in the said field at night, if you say the 'Bull McCabe' 5 five times, he appears!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

You are probably talking about the folklore tradition of the ' stray sod'. It was said that if were crossing a field and you stood on this particular sod, you would become totally confused and not know where you were. To break the spell, you had to turn your coat inside out and by so doing, you confused the fairies into thinking that it was someone else that was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Clareboy wrote: »
    You are probably talking about the folklore tradition of the ' stray sod'. It was said that if were crossing a field and you stood on this particular sod, you would become totally confused and not know where you were. To break the spell, you had to turn your coat inside out and by so doing, you confused the fairies into thinking that it was someone else that was in it.
    no it was on radion and did not hear the interview itself but after the presenter said if we knew where the field is we could go

How would you know if it was a stray sod? what is the difference between that and ordinary sod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Who needs a Clare beers when we've got a field that has no exit, sounds like an exciting night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It's not really a field, it just has less rocks in it then most places...

It's not really a field, it just has less rocks in it then most places...
    where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

On the After Hours Forum.

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    On the After Hours Forum.
    time wasters here it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

ANSI wrote: »
    time wasters here it seems

Ah, not time wasters so much as people who might not actually believe in the fairies but don't want to be crossing them at the same time, just in case!
    Personally, I have a great respect for them and am frequently told I am away with them!

On which radio station did you hear the programme and when etc.,? If it was fairly recently on an RTE station you might be able to get it again on podcast/playback. I don't think Newstalk does fairies but who knows? If it was Clare FM, then I'd say phone them up and ask them and they'd help you out. The author and storyteller Eddie Lenihan would certainly be a good source about locations. If you wrote to him at Eddie Lenihan, Crusheen, the letter would get to him.

Happy Oíche Shamhna to you tonight! I am trying (and failing) to stay away from the stockpiled Haribos for the trick or treaters! The mini Smarties are done for already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Eddie Lenihan would be your man for that kind of scutter.

He's made a livin' out of dreamin up aul rubbish like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

BnB wrote: »
    Eddie Lenihan would be your man for that kind of scutter.

He's made a livin' out of dreamin up aul rubbish like that.
    :D:D

Advertisement