Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Societies: The best and worst

Options
  • 28-10-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Whats your experience with the societies in UCD. Im afraid I have a bit of an agenda posting this thread. I am a member of the comedy soc along with a lot of others and I find there is a massive difference in the effort put into running the societies. For instance L and H is fantastic as well as the russian soc and the film soc but the society I am most interested in, comedy soc has yet to send me one email! Not even a welcome email. I have heard this in relation to other societies aswell.

What has everyone elses experience of the societies been and what would you change about your society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I joined the Russian society this year and it's epic. Great nights out, interesting Russian themed movies, fun language classes, really nice people and the most detailed newsletters ever! (including funny youtube clips, recipes- the works!)

2 euros well spent :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Siuin wrote: »
    I joined the Russian society this year and it's epic. Great nights out, interesting Russian themed movies, fun language classes, really nice people and the most detailed newsletters ever! (including funny youtube clips, recipes- the works!)

2 euros well spent :P

Im a member but I havent been to any of the nights out im ashamed to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

steddyeddy wrote: »

I want to join just because I heard their hoodies are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I find it hard to say L&H are having a good year. They might have got the most members but have they done anything since Freshers week.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Me too, and their newletter is amazing! They have recipes in it! I was at the Halloween Party (for a group of societies) and they were really good fun there.

Em, I hang with GameSoc - they are very much what you'd imagine! :pac:Eventwise they always seem to have something on... it's VERY distracting or I see them at the Blob on my way to library so I try to avoid them by going through the other door. They're very active!

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    I find it hard to say L&H are having a good year. They might have got the most members but have they done anything since Freshers week. Not really.

Well at least they have been in contact! The comedy soc havent sent one email!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Aw, so awesome to hear about good feedback about Rusoc! :D
    We are indeed getting a super awesome soviet hoodies very soon (placing the order next week), if you are genuinely interested, contact us and we will be able to sort you out too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What do Gamesoc do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I joined a good few societies, and the only one I hear from is DramSoc.
    Not a sausage from the Fashion Soc, SVP, LawSoc, L&H, Swimming Club or Athletics.
    Kinda disappointing...unless I just gave them all the wrong email address :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

EmilyO wrote: »
    I joined a good few societies, and the only one I hear from is DramSoc.
    Not a sausage from the Fashion Soc, SVP, LawSoc, L&H, Swimming Club or Athletics.
    Kinda disappointing...unless I just gave them all the wrong email address :o

I always hear from those. You probably did mess up the email address.

CTN is the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Have all the socs I joined (which are loooads) I'd have to say the Japanese society would have to be the best , all the people are very down to earth and not to mention our awesome games of ninja!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well at least they have been in contact! The comedy soc havent sent one email!

Comedy Soc have sent two emails so far, you must have put your email in incorrectly.

Comedy Soc's Facebook Page

Fad wrote: »
    Comedy Soc have sent two emails so far, you must have put your email in incorrectly.

Comedy Soc's Facebook Page

Well if thats so you would think the three emails I sen them would have alerted them to the mistake :S

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

I was at L&H for a debate and quality of speakers, mainly the students is very poor. You'd be much better just tuning into Vincent Browne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

If you wrote out your details they may not have been able to read your writing, just email them or find them of FB or twitter and it shouldn't be a problem:)

I was at L&H for a debate and quality of speakers, mainly the students is very poor. You'd be much better just tuning into Vincent Browne.

Very true! Is it me or are the majority of the debates the same form the previous session?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

AdamD wrote: »
    What do Gamesoc do?
    Basically,If you are interested in playing dungeons and dragons and other various board games,then this is the society for you.
    NOT ME THOUGH :o.

So not PS3 or anything like that then?

My ex got them to do something along those lines with I think commuters but it didn't go down well :/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Yeah, they have a weekly console gaming night as well and organise the odd PC lan night (though in fairness, I haven't heard of them running a lan night in a few years).

• Advertisement

Sound like an odd bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Sound like an odd bunch

They're fairly normal and friendly people really.

Mostly they're just happy to accommodate whatever people want to play as long as it doesn't break college rules or step on another society's toes.

Weird outcome, straightforward explanation basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

What do you expect from students...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Musical Soc. The heads on some of the higher-ups you'd think it was bloody Google!

Other than the bureaucracy, it's a bloody brilliant society.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

What do you expect from students...

There has been some great student debaters down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Noble Korhedron

My ex got them to do something along those lines with I think commuters but it didn't go down well :/
    Bad choice of game? I've always found the games nights to be well-attended! :)
    The Agogo wrote: »
    Musical Soc. The heads on some of the higher-ups you'd think it was bloody Google!

Other than the bureaucracy, it's a bloody brilliant society.
    I don't understand that whole "bloody Google" comment at all. Are they treating everyone like the should be experts or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Music Soc and Jazz Soc are both very active this year. They have Open Mic nights and workshops and jam sessions on the whole time. Great bunch of people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I don't understand that whole "bloody Google" comment at all. Are they treating everyone like the should be experts or something? :confused:

The problem is that everyone thinks they are experts, when they're only amateur. It's meant to be amateur in other words. I don't mean to put it in a bad light though, it is a good society.

The Agogo wrote: »
    The problem is that everyone thinks they are experts, when they're only amateur. It's meant to be amateur in other words. I don't mean to put it in a bad light though, it is a good society.

Likewise with DramSoc. Its prob cause its only college and their is no other competition, at least its good experience for when they enter the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A lot of societies seem to be messing up emails and sending them to spam. Could be problems for anyone above.

In terms of good societies, most of you probably read about the LawSoc financial problems, I think they're having a great year. Christopher Lee next week, hello.

Advertisement