Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library open on the bank holiday monday?!

Options
  • 28-10-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No, closed on Monday 31st.

http://www.ucd.ie/library/using_the_library/open_hours/ (it says it under the opening times there - there are also signs in the library saying this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I think it's UCD's way of saying 'chilax and take a break'!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Siuin wrote: »
    I think it's UCD's way of saying 'chilax and take a break'!

They should really talk to their staff in that case because something's been lost in translation. I have four pending assignments because we "have a three day weekend to do them" and I could really do with that library being open... :pac: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

They should really talk to their staff in that case because something's been lost in translation. I have four pending assignments because we "have a three day weekend to do them" and I could really do with that library being open... :pac: ;)

I feel your pain, I had the same situation with loads of assignments all at once last week- best thing to do is go in the day before it closes and take out lots of books and photocopy everything you need, then find a quiet place at home (if it's possible!!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I thought that library opening hours at weekends are a bit odd. The library closes at 5.30pm on Saturday, but closes at 9.00pm on Sunday - I'd nearly expect it to be the opposite way around. But I suppose more people might go on Sunday as other libraries aren't open, and they might have work due for the next day.

UCD start the Semester 2 (summer) exams the day after the May bank holiday, and last year, the library was opened on the May Bank Holiday (as it was the day before exams), and the place was packed - by the time it was open a few hours every single desk was full (not just those with plugs!!) - and there was a queue at 9am all the way out of the library building back towards the Tierney building to get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I find it particularly frustrating because I cannot really work at home and I have so much to try and get through this weekend >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Fad wrote: »
    I find it particularly frustrating because I cannot really work at home and I have so much to try and get through this weekend >_<

Theoretically I could work from home, it's just a lab report mountain, but with three younger siblings vying for attention making it happen is easier said than done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I guess it all comes down to money and the lack of it for paying staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

I guess it all comes down to money and the lack of it for paying staff.

yup, that's it exactly. everyone complains about public sector pay etc so we can't have it both ways. when wages and budgets get cut so does service.

Advertisement