Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you give priest for christening?

• 28-10-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all, my little boy is getting christened in November and I am trying to budget money for it. I am just wondering how much do you have to give the priest, or do you give money? Some of my friends said that I have to give him something but no one can give me a figure :( All comments really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi, we christened our son last april, and i also had no idea what to give the priest and after asking a few friends they all said fifty euro, so thats what i gave, i no its expensive day for you and you want to keep the costs down. every penny counts these days.... enjoy the christening:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Thanks a million JackBen. Yeah I know its all money! I was thinking about 50 myself but didn't know was that too little. Really looking forward to it now. Thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carlosvan

well we were told to give priest 30 euro and the secetary 20 euro for turning the lights on and opening church if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I gave the priest 50 euro, I asked people before the christening and they all said they gave 50.

Do you have to give the staff money too? What about if there are alter servers on too? thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

We gave 50 as well so it seems to be the norm.
    Have a great day.

Thanks Wush06. I think 50 it is. Least thats one less thing to worry about now :)

Do you have to give the staff money too? What about if there are alter servers on too? thanks for the replies :)

I doubt there will be any alter servers at a christening to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

50 is perfect... the last priest in our church didn't take donations and if you even tried he'd hand it back and tell you to spend it on the baby.

The new one won't even allow pictures to be taken during the ceremony and even mentioned at the start of the ceremony that the babies had to be kept quiet or we had to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

We gave €50 and if you ask me it was too much!!! Daughter was sick and the church freezing no lights or anything had been turned on!! €50 for 20 mins work he did well and then free food after!!!

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    The new one won't even allow pictures to be taken during the ceremony and even mentioned at the start of the ceremony that the babies had to be kept quiet or we had to leave.

Wow he sounds lovely. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You have to pay? never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You have to pay? never knew that.

Do you work? You get paid? Never knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Oh sweet lord, we christened our baba on Saturday and no money was passed :eek: Never mentioned and never thought to offer! Priest was fabulous though. Guess I should drop by a donation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just asked my sister and she didnt have to pay for either of her kids, there were 3 kids done on the one evening after mass so lights etc dont seem to be an extra cost. Although she does pay money into an envelope every month, so maybe thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

We gave priest 50 and the altar boy 20...

I guess if you give money depends on the situation. For our daughters christening the priest came to the church on a Sunday at 2pm to christen our daughter and there wasnt any other christenings taking place. I'd say in the situation of a few christenings on after mass you wouldnt really be expected to make a donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I had no clue either, neither did my parents as my little boy is the first baby in the family. So i asked the nun who did the pre christening meeting with us and she said its really whatever you can afford, so i pressed her and she said most people give between €30 and 50. Hope this helps. And enjoy your day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

hi all, slightly off the topic, dont want to make a new thread unless asked.
    does anyone know the minimum age that someone can be godparent , thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I could be wrong here but as far as I know you have to have made your confirmation before you can be a godparent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

He should pay you I reckon.

Getting another recruit into the church and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Ours got 50e and a 3 course meal after, not bad for half an hours work tbh!

You have to be confirmed. Though these days with people having Godparents from other religions you may want to talk to your priest.

Advertisement