Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renault Master or Mercedes What ye Think !!!

• 28-10-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2524908

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2422078

Hi All
    My dad is thinking of purchasing a campervan. He has a budget of 5000 and is keen to get a mid size. He had a transit 6 berth but it was way too big for him.
    I have found two here within budget and am looking for a bit of advice from you guys as to which would be better.
    Maybe you might know of something for sale that may suit.

Rocksimmo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

rocksimmo wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2524908

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2422078

Hi All
    My dad is thinking of purchasing a campervan. He has a budget of 5000 and is keen to get a mid size. He had a transit 6 berth but it was way too big for him.
    I have found two here within budget and am looking for a bit of advice from you guys as to which would be better.
    Maybe you might know of something for sale that may suit.

Rocksimmo

Personally I'd be going for the Mercedes, but as vans go it is fairly big. The master's interior is quite dated looking and the merc seems much nicer inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rocksimmo

Thanks Bufort T. We had a look and a drive at the renault this morning and it is a nice conversion. Really well laid out. Going to view the mercedes on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2563060
    a little bit extra and this might do the trick

Thanks Meerkat. He is gone off the idea of another transit. His last one was extremely slow and he also found the height of it hard to maneouvre around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

rocksimmo wrote: »
    Thanks Meerkat. He is gone off the idea of another transit. His last one was extremely slow and he also found the height of it hard to maneouvre around.

If he found the Transit very slow that Mercedes would fall into the same category. It will cruise at 100km/h but any more and you are pushing it not to mention be very noisy, hit a hill and 80km/h will be the quickest you get. I had a Mercedes 310d, so speaking from experience! Also you will get about 22mpg on average.

The Renault Master should be a good deal faster, nicer drive, better mpg. The interior looks the same to me on the inside so for me I'd go with the Renault Master.

• Advertisement

Hehehe I bet yous were all waiting for me to pipe up...

Mercedes any day of the week. That one your looking at has been up for months now.

>>>It will cruise at 100km/h but any more and you are pushing it not to mention be very noisy, hit a hill and 80km/h will be the quickest you get. I had a Mercedes 310d, so speaking from experience! Also you will get about 22mpg on average.<<<

I've the 308 and I find it hard to believe that an extra cyclinder and a double axle makes that significant a difference. (edit)...actually my apologies, the more I think about it the more sense it makes...
    At 2.5ton gross I cruise/trundle at 110kmp/h and get 29mpg or 40mpg at 80kmp/h with the diesel and water tanks low.
    She'll take most hills on Irish N&M roads at 100mp/h if you run at them instead of pushing for power when she's winding back.
    ( transit is definitely faster tho)

She's chain driven with hydrolic valves...that'll save you a few bob on maintenance.

Cheap and easy to get parts.
    The only thing that'll stop her is rust and there's a lot more quality metal on her than any of the modern big VW's and sprinters.

You can run her on vegy oil 50/50 without converting the engine (I wouldn't tho...)

In my experience French don't do durable.

Check the linkage between 3rd and 2nd on the gearbox that's usually the first place that shows wear and tear.

Comfy driving position.
    She is noisy but I've managed to get the average radio volume down 12 notches (it goes to 40) by putting rock wool under the bonnet, replacing shocks and binding all the panelling in the back.

Never beeps at you for leaving the lights on or s* like that. ...I'm never buying a vehicle that beeps at me, if there ever comes a day I have to; first thing I'll be doing is pouring superglue in the speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

jeez man , god help you when you have something with ECUs.... The renault is superior in every way , in this day and age . Would outrun it , be a lot easier on juice , a lot quieter , smoother , and more comfy and of all the ones we've sold since 2006 they have proven to be reliable . change the gear oil every year and keep it to the higher level and they don't give bother unless dogged .
    You simply can't compare 2 vans of such different ages.
    We had 207s , 307s , 308s etc when they weren't old.. and they were dead as sh1t then , so they can't have improved with age!

The MAster will sit at 120kmph all day , in comfort .
    Driven right will return 35-40mpg
    It won't rust.
    It'll be quiet.
    It'll only need a service once a year or every 10,000 .
    It'll be a lot kinder to the environment re emissions.

Well Guys. Thanks a million for all your help. He has just got off the phone and agreed to buy the renault for €4600. I think he is getting a great deal as it is a real quality conversion. He decided not to go for the merc as the local veg man has one the same and he found it a bit on the big side. Going to pick it up in the morning.
    Will be able to steal some ideas for my own conversion which is back on. Anyway thanks again lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

brilliant
    wish him luck
    safe travels

Thanks Meerkat. He is like a child this evening. Pity winter is upon us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement