Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Geography

Options
  • 28-10-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm very interested in taking the Masters in Geography for next year (sept 2012).

Could anyone tell me the procedures in applying for course? And what is the deadline.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Its divided into three streams:

1. MA Geography (its the general one where both physical and political will be examined at a very high level)

2. MA Geopolitics and World Economy (proper politically-based plus a field trip to I think Brussels, Berlin or Istanbul.)

3. MA Urban Studies (I think this is different to the MRUP the Planning Dept. are offering but I would assume similarities can be found).

Deadline for applying in sometime in March and there will be a meeting held by the powers that be in February to discuss with you in more detail. I'm going for the Geopolitics one and can't wait for it. All I have to do is pass this god darn German resits! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You'll be sent an email by Julien where he'll walt to talk to ye about the MA and it's main strands and then Derry O'Connell might be there where he'll come in to talk about the MRUP. You're time enough for applying and it's not a hard application to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

GobBass wrote: »

1. MA Geography (its the general one where both physical and political will be examined at a very high level)

2. MA Geopolitics and World Economy (proper politically-based plus a field trip to I think Brussels, Berlin or Istanbul.)

3. MA Urban Studies (I think this is different to the MRUP the Planning Dept. are offering but I would assume similarities can be found).

Deadline for applying in sometime in March and there will be a meeting held by the powers that be in February to discuss with you in more detail. I'm going for the Geopolitics one and can't wait for it. All I have to do is pass this god darn German resits! :o

A small correction.
    It is divided into three streams this year but next year, it will be divided into three separate degrees.

That's better in my case because I couldn't give a toss about the other two. Geopolitics is definitely for me..unless I take that Euromasters in Urban Studies that is being offered in Brussels.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

Hi All,

Is there any details to be found on the modules contained in the M.A. Urban Studies course , can it be assumed to be a planning masters ? Is this an additional course or has one of the planning courses been dropped to make way for this?

Would possibly be interesting course but planning a tough sector for some time .

Thanks in advance,
    Iarmhii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

I'm doing the MA this year and the Urban Studies is nothing got to do with planning. The MA in Geography and the MA in Urban Studies, are basically exactly the same expect for 1 module which has got to do with field trips.
    If you want to do planning there is a 2 year Masters in Regional and Urban Planning. All I can say is that Urban Studies is NOT a planning Masters nor has it any association with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the exact date for final applications to the Geograpohy Masters at UCD for entry in September 2012 ?

Thanks
    Iarmhii

Since I was last on this subject, I got accepted for Geopolitics..YAY!

Selfish dance over, I think its around the beginning of the summer months (May/June) where they select the final positions and the selections based on GPA may get more strict.

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the exact date for final applications to the Geograpohy Masters at UCD for entry in September 2012 ?

Thanks
    Iarmhii

Hi Iarmhii,

As far as I'm aware the application is due sometime in march! Check the UCD website! I didn't apply last year until April but didn't get an offer until late August! The sooner you apply the better chance you will get a place.

Basically apply now! There are many different rounds of offers for the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

GobBass wrote: »

The Geopolitics Masters looks interesting, haven't seen a similar course in Ireland. When are the deadline's for MA's in general in UCD?

• Advertisement

Best of luck everyone starting or have started the MA in the Geography Department. Be prepared for a busy year and to have no summer with the thesis!!

Good luck in your future studies :)

Advertisement