Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The disgraceful media coverage of election

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

The treatment of Norris was ridiculous. Apologies printed when his chances have been ruined are farcical. The media decided this election by their coverage. We will all remember them hounding him, camped outside his door until he resigned. The fuss made on radio of Helen Lucy Burkes targetting of Norris was a front page story. However when she found her tape of the interview it was a farce as she tried time after time to trap him with her narrow minded views. There was no coverage worth noting of her farce tape as it showed that earlier media outrage was wrong. All in all the negativity has I think scared the role of President permanently. It was negative in its outlook on all people involved.
    Was there a second HLB tape because the one I heard vindicated HLB's Magill article. Joe Duffy went out of his way to allow Norris to appear on the HLB Liveline Show but Norris, in what we now know to be characteristc style, declined to come before the microphone to set the record straight. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The treatment of Norris was ridiculous. Apologies printed when his chances have been ruined are farcical. The media decided this election by their coverage. We will all remember them hounding him, camped outside his door until he resigned. The fuss made on radio of Helen Lucy Burkes targetting of Norris was a front page story. However when she found her tape of the interview it was a farce as she tried time after time to trap him with her narrow minded views. There was no coverage worth noting of her farce tape as it showed that earlier media outrage was wrong. All in all the negativity has I think scared the role of President permanently. It was negative in its outlook on all people involved.

Not so .

Gallagher got glowing publicity on radio , tv ,.newspapers and magazines.

These made him out to be

A successful businessman / entrepreneur
    A tireless community worker
    An independent candidate.
    A man who could create jobs in the role of president
    A former farmer who bought a 20 acre farm at 21
    Etc, etc etc ad nauseum

Even when he was exposed as a liar ... the media kept pumping his profile up

A couple of stories appeared in the independent ...mainly Fionnan Sheehan , but these too were largely ignored by all the other papers

I was amazed at all the positive glitzy publicity he got when he was obviously a fake

I dislike the shinners , but only for Mcguinness exposing him on live tv we would have elected a celebrity fake to the Aras.

I agree that Norris was badly treated , but don't tell me that the media were anti Gallagher . This is untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The media - from day one - wanted a safe pair of hands. Someone, who wouldn't say anything too negative about our current economy, or the ECB, or other politicians in general.

They got their man yesterday - one who is relatively harmless, but who has done very little in his career to change Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

raymon wrote: »
    Not so .

These made him out to be

Etc, etc etc ad nauseum

A couple of stories appeared in the independent ...mainly Fionnan Sheehan , but these too were largely ignored by all the other papers

I was amazed at all the positive glitzy publicity he got when he was obviously a fake

I dislike the shinners , but only for Mcguinness exposing him on live tv we would have elected a celebrity fake to the Aras.

I agree that Norris was badly treated , but don't tell me that the media were anti Gallagher . This is untrue

Similar to Norris they built Gallagher up. McGuinness went on attack I agree but I don't agree that such negativity can be construed as a good thing in any way. And don't get me started on Fionnan Sheahan. Such a waffling fountain of nothingness I have rarely seen or heard of, even in his brand of attempting to be high brow, but in reality gutter journalism. There are many similar to him who have far more power than their knowledge warrants- John Drennan is another who frequents the opinion panels to condemn and condone as he see fit. They seem to have more control on the public agenda discussion than democratic governments or movements.

Similar to Norris they built Gallagher up. McGuinness went on attack I agree but I don't agree that such negativity can be construed as a good thing in any way. And don't get me started on Fionnan Sheahan. Such a waffling fountain of nothingness I have rarely seen or heard of, even in his brand of attempting to be high brow, but in reality gutter journalism. There are many similar to him who have far more power than their knowledge warrants- John Drennan is another who frequents the opinion panels to condemn and condone as he see fit. They seem to have more control on the public agenda discussion than democratic governments or movements.

I would have preferred for Gallagher to have been outed as a fake earlier and not by the head of the IRA.

Even on boards.ie's Gallagher q&a I asked a question in the section " questions for Sean Gallagher " but they were not asked

He could have come clean months ago

The press should be ashamed of preferring Gallagher over others , until the very last minute

I would have preferred for Gallagher to have been outed as a fake earlier and not by the head of the IRA.

Even on boards.ie's Gallagher q&a I asked a question in the section " questions for Sean Gallagher " but they were not asked

He could have come clean months ago

The press should be ashamed of preferring Gallagher over others , until the very last minute

A combination of RTE and Sinn Fein decided it in most peoples eyes by using false information to start with. If someone was to challenge in an honest way I would commend them but the deceitful manner of it damages the job of President. Thankfully MD stayed mostly out of it but by association of the competition the actual office is the ultimate loser. Shame on McGuinness for not having his facts straight. I know that plently of boards users will not like that but if he really sees himself as an international figure that type of petty lying about facts should be beneath him. Shame also on RTE, our national broadcaster. Whatever researcher took the SF tweet as fact and gave it to P Kenny should be sacked although the reality is they are probably overpaid with taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Yeah the media wee a bit of a joke, but I think MMG did us all a service by exposing Gallagher on live TV as a FF bagman. He saved the Irish people from themselves tbh.

Gallagher deserved what he got imo, which was about 2 and a half days of intense scrutiny.

Nobody seemed to notice however that McGuinness said when delivering the hammering blow to Gallagher that the man in question was on the phone to him a few hours before hand.

Or maybe no one found it surprising I guess that the criminal and fuel smuggler had a direct line to Martin McGuinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Persons with criminal convictions cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

I don't want to hijack this thread on jonnie

however the untruths Gallagher told are numerous and not isolated to one exposed by the shinners

I will stop there , because we are veering off topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Not so .

These made him out to be

Etc, etc etc ad nauseum

The media for the last two weeks, after he started to rise through the polls, were for the most part against him. Look at the analysts dumbfounded as to why he continued to rise in the polls despite the attacks on him in the media, they couldn't explain it, expecting him to go down instead

The media for the last two weeks, after he started to rise through the polls, were for the most part against him. Look at the analysts dumbfounded as to why he continued to rise in the polls despite the attacks on him in the media, they couldn't explain it, expecting him to go down instead

For every story about his lies , there were another 2 or 3 lauding him or feeding bull to the public. Example "the patter of tiny feet in the Aras " was particularly manipulative

The inaccuracies were not just on SG though. I had not much time for Mary Davis but why did the media need to call her 'Quango Queen'. Was it not enough to reveal the no. of boards and leave it at that. Instead they essentially gave her a schoolyard nickname to ensure she could not have any positive impact. Another example of media rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

A combination of RTE and Sinn Fein decided it in most peoples eyes by using false information to start with. If someone was to challenge in an honest way I would commend them but the deceitful manner of it damages the job of President. Thankfully MD stayed mostly out of it but by association of the competition the actual office is the ultimate loser. Shame on McGuinness for not having his facts straight. I know that plently of boards users will not like that but if he really sees himself as an international figure that type of petty lying about facts should be beneath him. Shame also on RTE, our national broadcaster. Whatever researcher took the SF tweet as fact and gave it to P Kenny should be sacked although the reality is they are probably overpaid with taxpayers money.

The "Facts" your complaining about MMG in reality didn't change much.. the envelope was still handed over was it not? Might have being 3 days earlier but it still was handled by Gallagher.. MMG did say he got off the phone only 2 hours before the show so hardly had time to confirm times and days.. Following morning he gave the full correct version which didn't change much to warrant your attack on him over it.

You my friend sound like a sore loser...

Funfair wrote: »
    The "Facts" your complaining about MMG in reality didn't change much.. the envelope was still handed over was it not? Might have being 3 days earlier but it still was handled by Gallagher.. MMG did say he got off the phone only 2 hours before the show so hardly had time to confirm times and days.. Following morning he gave the full correct version which didn't change much to warrant your attack on him over it.

You my friend sound like a sore loser...

But I didnt lose?? Is that meant to be a taunt;)

In any case I am not looking for defence from SF fans- If MMG wants to tell porkies he will be remembered for them and thats his own prerogative. The problem I have in this regard is RTE presenting lies about possible press conferences. THat is lazy journalism and it should not be applauded as it gives the media scope to decide the outcome of such contests in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yeah the media wee a bit of a joke, but I think MMG did us all a service by exposing Gallagher on live TV as a FF bagman. He saved the Irish people from themselves tbh.

Gallagher deserved what he got imo, which was about 2 and a half days of intense scrutiny.

what show was this I would like to try and watch it online,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

The inaccuracies were not just on SG though. I had not much time for Mary Davis but why did the media need to call her 'Quango Queen'. Was it not enough to reveal the no. of boards and leave it at that. Instead they essentially gave her a schoolyard nickname to ensure she could not have any positive impact. Another example of media rubbish.

I know, I think most of the boards she was on were voluntary as well, but the name and negative assumptions that go with it stuck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Completely untrue.

Back on topic the media behaved appallingly but I seem to remember there was a lot of mudslinging for the 2 Marys when they were running for the gig. Maybe we notice it now because there's so much media and instant analysis and coverage?

But I didnt lose?? Is that meant to be a taunt;)

In any case I am not looking for defence from SF fans- If MMG wants to tell porkies he will be remembered for them and thats his own prerogative. The problem I have in this regard is RTE presenting lies about possible press conferences. THat is lazy journalism and it should not be applauded as it gives the media scope to decide the outcome of such contests in the future.

Gallagher lost whom I believe from reading here was your choice.
    I'm very much less a Sinn Fein fan then you are Anti Sinn Fein, another observation from reading this thread..

I’m still trying to figure out is it RTE or Martin McGuiness your trying to blame for Gallagher’s defeat..

Who cares who exposed the Mr Gallagher’s dirty dealings he was given the chance to respond to the allegation and he failed miserably on live tv both on the night and the following day on the 1pm news.

My only crib with the media coverage was how Michael D Higgins got away, No dirt, no controversies, nothing negative reported about him. If he’s that squeaky clean he has no business in politics and will turn out to be a “yes man” in office.

Gallagher lost whom I believe from reading here was your choice.
    Wrong. Its not relevent to the thread anyhow.
    I'm very much less a Sinn Fein fan then you are Anti Sinn Fein, another observation from reading this thread..
    [/COLOR]
    Wrong also. My comments on McGuinness are mainly based on him coming out on live TV with accusations that were not correct. I think that does not befit a leader of any country (or deputy leader).

I’m still trying to figure out is it RTE or Martin McGuiness your trying to blame for Gallagher’s defeat..
    [/COLOR]
    The bigger picture of the power of the media is what I questioned in the thread. It is certainly not about one candidate. I think there was 1 person to blame for SG losing and that is clear to all. That does not mean that putting false information to him can be allowed. 2 wrongs dont make a right, etc.
    Who cares who exposed the Mr Gallagher’s dirty dealings he was given the chance to respond to the allegation and he failed miserably on live tv both on the night and the following day on the 1pm news.

My only crib with the media coverage was how Michael D Higgins got away, No dirt, no controversies, nothing negative reported about him. If he’s that squeaky clean he has no business in politics and will turn out to be a “yes man” in office.

[/COLOR]
    The who cares attitude gives to much power to the media IMO. THey already have to much power and if they are allowed pull stunts without being questioned on it they will in the future be able to elect their own choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The coverage was a disgrace.

2 issues struck a deep chord .

MMG demanding a private meeting with Miriam O'Callaghan - was it collusion or coercion.

Whichever, it was reported on and the content was not released. O'Callaghan has questions to answer.

The other was a Sindo journalist getting intimidated by MMG's handlers and MMG did not stop it.

That type of behaviour may be acceptable in tne North but really , it should not be here.

• Advertisement

The coverage was that squeeky clean I was expecting white smoke out of the chimneys of Dublin Castle when he was elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

CDfm wrote: »

MMG demanding a private meeting with Miriam O'Callaghan - was it collusion or coercion.

Whichever, it was reported on and the content was not released. O'Callaghan has questions to answer.

The other was a Sindo journalist getting intimidated by MMG's handlers and MMG did not stop it.

That type of behaviour may be acceptable in tne North but really , it should not be here.
    Your proving just how deluded Fianna "we raped the country" Fail and there supporters are!

You have no problem with the bagman Gallagher attacking that woman on Pat Kenny Tuesday!

Your proving just how deluded Fianna "we raped the country" Fail and there supporters are!

The comment you responded to had no mention or reference to FF. Whats the obsession.

For once I actually agree with you on these 2 points .

The comment you responded to had no mention or reference to FF. Whats the obsession.
    Because he is pissed with Martin Mc Guiness for outing The Bagman to the country, its pretty clear he supports FF!

Because he is pissed with Martin Mc Guiness for outing The Bagman to the country, its pretty clear he supports FF!

By this reckoning everyone who does'nt like MMG is clearly FF. I think it is clear that over 80% of voters are not FF supporters.

Is that the best you can come up with ?

Whenever anyone criticises McGuinness and Co you instinctively react by saying Fianna Fail even when you know differently..

What you don't say is the behavior of MMG & Co was wrong and deal with the facts ..

And where does this Fianna Fail thing come from as a response ?

I suppose Mrs McCabe and Patrick Kelly are paid up members of Fianna Fail too ?

So you had no problem with O Callaghan accusing Mc Guiness of being a murderer, but you have a problem with Martin asking to have a word with her about it after!

• Advertisement

I suppose Mrs McCabe and Patrick Kelly are paid up members of Fianna Fail too ?
    If you have so much information you need to contact the Gardai!

The IRA were SF's bagmen in the literal sense of the word i.e. protection rackets. And it wasn't thousands but millions. For all we know the Northern Bank money could be funding SF.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I believe that RTE's (in particular) bad coverage of the election pales in comparison to its woeful coverage of the referenda. There was clear bias in relation to the one on oireachtas inquiries, with RTE suggesting dire consequences if it passed.

So you had no problem with O Callaghan accusing Mc Guiness of being a murderer, but you have a problem with Martin asking to have a word with her about it after!

It reflects on MMG's supporters that they are not raising the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

The IRA were SF's bagmen in the literal sense of the word i.e. protection rackets. And it wasn't thousands but millions. For all we know the Northern Bank money could be funding SF.
    For all we know Fianna Fail were Anglo Irish bagmen. Millions;).Who are the gangsters?

No way was that audience representative. Even before the controversial SG answers, they were jeering and booing SG while cheering Higgins. The polls underlined that their composition were part of the setup. BCI guidelines require that RTE provide balanced election coverage. I remain convinced there was something fishy going on including possible collusion with SF.

An example mentioned by Shane Colemen on the radio yesterday morning on Newstalk: when SG was asked if he supported/opposed the Oireacthas Inquiries referendum, he said because the president was above politics he would not take a position on that. MDH gave the same answer yet he was cheered while SG was booed and jeered. This was a setup by the 'Montrose Mafia'.

No way was that audience representative. Even before the controversial SG answers, they were jeering and booing SG while cheering Higgins. The polls underlined that their composition were part of the setup. BCI guidelines require that RTE provide balanced election coverage. I remain convinced there was something fishy going on including possible collusion with SF.
    Each debater brought an equal amount of supporters, as was stated at the start of the programme!

Conspiracy theories > >

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    For all we know Fianna Fail were Anglo Irish bagmen. Millions;).Who are the gangsters?
    Wait till Seanie and fingers start spilling the beans in court, Thats when the sh1t is going to hit the fan!

The least of Fianna Fails worries will be there bagman losing an election!

An example mentioned by Shane Colemen on the radio yesterday morning on Newstalk: when SG was asked if he supported/opposed the Oireacthas Inquiries referendum, he said because the president was above politics he would not take a position on that. MDH gave the same answer yet he was cheered while SG was booed and jeered. This was a setup by the 'Montrose Mafia'.
    Ha ha.Paranoid or what? The Fianna Fail bagman who pretended to be an independent got outed as a liar. I'd prefer a learned poet over a brass-necked liar anyday.

• Advertisement

Wait till Seanie and fingers start spilling the beans in court, Thats when the sh1t is going to hit the fan!

The least of Fianna Fails worries will be there bagman losing an election!
    I hope they spill those beans. Theres lots of em to spill;)

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Ha ha.Paranoid or what? The Fianna Fail bagman who pretended to be an independent got outed as a liar. I'd prefer a learned poet over a brass-necked liar anyday.
    All the parties have big corporate fundraisers - what you call "bagmen".

A Fianna Fail "fundraiser", who denied fundraising for fianna fail?? Initially. And 5 minutes later he suddenly remembered. Selective amnesia. He developed it from his great leader-The Bert.Bagman-fundraiser, whatever FFs call em. And to run as an Independent??? Talking about envelopes. The general Irish public have had enough of this envelope crap.Independent me a***.He should have admitted to being FF.

Fianna Fail called it the Galway tent.

Bankers, developers, fianna fail. The golden circle

They then proceeded to rape the country. Our grandchildren will be paying the debts for generations to come.

Bagmen=favours for money.Doesnt it though? Zoning of lands etc.FF never got into any of that though.Did they?;).

They then proceeded to rape the country. Our grandchildren will be paying the debts for generations to come.
    This sums it up for me.100%.

• Advertisement

FG called it the Punchestown Tent. Labour call it ICTU. SF call it the Northern Bank (against its will)!

FG called it the Punchestown Tent. Labour call it ICTU. SF call it the Northern Bank (against its will)!
    You still wont answer my question!

What questions did fianna fail ask Morgan before Gallagher bagged 5k of hes money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There's a lot of unanswered questions about Sinn Fein funding.
    MMGs service was answered by by the electorate giving Gallagher over twice the number of votes.

Also I recall being in a pub in Strabane in the late eighties and having to "donate" money to a bucket collection for the IRA prisoner fund. My interpretation of the meaning of the word "solicit funds" is tempered by the meaningful looks as to why you wouldn't handover any money.

There's a lot of unanswered questions about Sinn Fein funding.
    MMGs service was answered by by the electorate giving Gallagher over twice the number of votes.

Also I recall being in a pub in Strabane in the late eighties and having to "donate" money to a bucket collection for the IRA prisoner fund. My interpretation of the meaning of the word "solicit funds" is tempered by the meaningful looks as to why you wouldn't handover any money.

Can you give an example of these unanswered questions ?

As for the bucket collection... every time I go to a match in Thurles or Croke park you have these bucket collections in the pubs for all sorts of charities and you also get meaningful mean looks if you don't donate so what point are you trying to make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Michael what did Fg's John Bruton do when told by a member of his party of an attempt to bribe him ?
    Who was in charge when the mobile phone licence which was the subject of a Tribunal was issued.
    Whose 2007 election mainifesto was quite like FF's ?
    I am most certainly not an FF supporter, but I am not blind either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement