Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forced to retire from government job at 65 but can be President at 70

• 29-10-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Strikes me as very odd, when my grandmother turned 65 she had to retire, as she worked for a government agency. She would have preferred to keep working and hated her retirement as she loved her job. Even in her 80's she would often talk about if her old boss phoned her to go back to work she'd love it. So my question is, if she had to retire due to age why can someone become President at age 70?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I personally think that instead of mandatory retirement at 65 it should be optional. 65 should be the age at which you have the option to retire.
    Obvious exceptions are Gards, I'd even fancy out-running a 62 year old gard, and jobs like that.....

BOHtox wrote: »
    I personally think that instead of mandatory retirement at 65 it should be optional. 65 should be the age at which you have the option to retire.
    Obvious exceptions are Gards, I'd even fancy out-running a 62 year old gard, and jobs like that.....

Desk Sergeants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BOHtox wrote: »

Members of the defence forces must retire at 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

starting age is 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

It's wonderful to hear about someone in the public service who wants to stay on working after the age of 65. Maybe the law could be changed to facilitate this with a lowering of their income. Just too many young unemployed people around at present........with that lenght that of service people should be asked to make sacrifices if they wish to continue working in sheltered employment.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Firefighters have to retire at 55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Strikes me as very odd, when my grandmother turned 65 she had to retire, as she worked for a government agency. She would have preferred to keep working and hated her retirement as she loved her job. Even in her 80's she would often talk about if her old boss phoned her to go back to work she'd love it. So my question is, if she had to retire due to age why can someone become President at age 70?

He is only doing it for the huge salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Desk Sergeants?

Check out the times for over 55's and over 60's on Race results at races around the country - you might be surprised to fine that some geriatrics are posting much faster times than average guys in their 30's and 40's !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Cos the Liberal Luvies wanted one of thier own as President !

• Advertisement
Advertisement