Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AldilaMan wrote: »
    6891 yards. You think slicing the ball will get you round Knightsbroob . NOB

Keep it clean here lads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

AldilaMan wrote: »
    6891 yards. You think slicing the ball will get you round Knightsbroob . NOB

ehh it was a joke relax there, as in its a very flat and wide course. And to be honest, yeah i do think its a very rewarding course bar 3 or 4 holes with the bit of water. You can be wild off the tee and still score, my friend who suffers badly from slicing the driver must have sliced 10 off the tee and still managed pars and bogeys, not taking a dig at the course as i liked it, but just stating a fact

Loire wrote: »
    Each of the 2 times I broke 80 I didn't have any birdies either. Perhaps going for birdies is causing you to take on too many risks??

I think you'll break 80 soon too. Please do us a favour though and start a new thread My Life (Sub 75) ;)

Thanks Loire.

But, next thread would be called No Wife (Sub 75) if I did that. :):eek::cool::confused:

After tonight, my talk has been a bit counting chickens ..........

Major work on Drive to be done. Plane still way too steep on irons and Driver too outside the plane line on way to ball -still outside, after me thinking I was getting places.

I guess, I could stick with flaws, work on putting and just get it done. or stick with MORE changes and go backwards for a more long term result. Would like to just get it done, but I'm split now. Anyway - Need to lay off, the body is saying, "hey what you doing to me" , "I can stop you if I want".

BTW cool you were able to break 80 without a birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ssbob wrote: »
    Tonight, when I head out for my 6-9 holes at 7.30 I am going to leave my driver & hybrid in the car(don't carry a 3/5 wood) and play from 5 iron to putter and see how I get on!

So started at 8.10 and got 7 holes in, scored 9 points for 7 holes playing 5 iron off the tee, had one 3 putt so that accounted for 1 point.

The thing with hitting the 5-iron was that I was trying to bust it out there and topped it twice and sliced it bad once(the slice cost me a scratch), even when hitting a great 5-iron on the 18th (Par 4-450 yards from the whites), I was still 240 out and hit another great 5-iron to about 40 yards, duffed my first chip and then chipped to 2 feet and putted for 5.

Felt too often I had long putts for bogies where normally they would be for Par.

One thing however is it definitely took the 8's off my card.

In future..........."Grip it and rip it":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

BTW cool you were able to break 80 without a birdie.

Broken 80 twice. The first time to be honest was because all the stars were aligned...wasn't playing particularly well beforehand and everything just seem to go right on the day. I had an admittedly poxy pair of putts at the end....a 20 footer on the 16th and an 8 footer (downhill, slopey), on the 18th so I could have quite easily shot an 81 or 82.

The second time I broke 80 though I was on a mission and spent about 1 1/2 hours chipping and putting before heading out for each round over a 6 week period.

I know you are working on your drive/swing and that's great. But an hour of chipping and putting before you play could really help IMO. Also, take your putter into the house with you when you get home and practice on a carpet for 15-20 mins each night. Don't worry about speed etc just on hitting it in the middle of the putter face and work on the tempo.

I wish I could follow my own advice though! Since I broke 80 the second time and got cut to 12 (which was my ambition) I've kind of given up on the golf a bit...play the odd weekend but not willing to put in the work to get to single figures (blame the kids for that ;)).

Anyway, sorry for the ramble...best of luck!

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    So started at 8.10 and got 7 holes in, scored 9 points for 7 holes playing 5 iron off the tee, had one 3 putt so that accounted for 1 point.

The thing with hitting the 5-iron was that I was trying to bust it out there and topped it twice and sliced it bad once(the slice cost me a scratch), even when hitting a great 5-iron on the 18th (Par 4-450 yards from the whites), I was still 240 out and hit another great 5-iron to about 40 yards, duffed my first chip and then chipped to 2 feet and putted for 5.

Felt too often I had long putts for bogies where normally they would be for Par.

One thing however is it definitely took the 8's off my card.

In future..........."Grip it and rip it":D

Fair play.

Yes you have to try not hit it too hard, because you are hitting an iron. Hard to do.

Broken 80 twice. The first time to be honest was because all the stars were aligned...wasn't playing particularly well beforehand and everything just seem to go right on the day. I had an admittedly poxy pair of putts at the end....a 20 footer on the 16th and an 8 footer (downhill, slopey), on the 18th so I could have quite easily shot an 81 or 82.

The second time I broke 80 though I was on a mission and spent about 1 1/2 hours chipping and putting before heading out for each round over a 6 week period.

I know you are working on your drive/swing and that's great. But an hour of chipping and putting before you play could really help IMO. Also, take your putter into the house with you when you get home and practice on a carpet for 15-20 mins each night. Don't worry about speed etc just on hitting it in the middle of the putter face and work on the tempo.

I wish I could follow my own advice though! Since I broke 80 the second time and got cut to 12 (which was my ambition) I've kind of given up on the golf a bit...play the odd weekend but not willing to put in the work to get to single figures (blame the kids for that ;)).

Anyway, sorry for the ramble...best of luck!

No, was remembering you saying you did 1 1/2 hours before, found that very hard to imagine me doing that. fair play. It took amazing determination, real Roy Keane stuff, I think your from Cork ?

As you said for yourself, for me to improve any more would take, so much time I don't think it would be worth giving up that time just to drop say 2 or 3 more. I'm happy enough around the 80 mark with the odd great day. It is easier to be ok and improve and suprise yourself, I love that bit.

The only thing I would add, is that perhaps when you get to a certain level and you have removed flaws from your game, is there a sort of "tipping point", where shots drop quicker, I'm curious if you go from 78 to 75 a bit easier than 85 to 80 ? Anyway, that is getting a bit complicated and can't expain it here. No that is my amateur Malcolm Gladwell bull, I imagine it is as hard as hell to get from 78 to 75. But , not a concern of mine ever :)

Look at that weather, what am I doing ? what a day for my first break from some sort golf in 6 days. Is their golf on TV tonight :D , watch the shoulders, watch the weight transfer, watch the arms, watch the hipps, watch the release - "na", forget all that and just hit it. :p

No, was remembering you saying you did 1 1/2 hours before, found that very hard to imagine me doing that. fair play. It took amazing determination

To be honest it didn't really. Instead of arriving to play for 8.30 am (I'd usually get there for 7.45ish and have a cuppa and a mooch in the pro shop), I pushed my tee time to 9am and was down there a half and hour earlier (7.15) where I was able to get in 90 mins of chipping & putting. All in all it was only 30mins or so less sleep. I wouldn't do it all the time, granted, but if I ever want to go lower again that'll be the first thing I do. Having a sharp short game takes huge pressure off those long irons onto the green...you know if you miss there's a decent chance you'll get up & down and as a result my GIR were higher too WIN/WIN as they say.

So, needed to sort out driver, my whole lesson the other day was about the driver. I guess this may be open to debate, but “My Coach” (joking by the way) said that there are two swings in golf, one for Driver, one for Irons. Basically, he teaches driver being on the upswing. Don’t know much about this, but I was way too steep. I noticed my flight was always low, was great for Links and roll, but my bad shots were bad bad. So it was clear there was a technical flaw.

My main problem was the my right shoulder was going forward / out from body, This was pushing me outside the plane line from the start of my downswing, making me very steep, the only way back to the ball was to pull my arms back into the ball causing a slice. I was trying to get back to the inside at contact, but it was all too late, the damage had been done at the very start of transition.

Also, I have major problem releasing the driver. I sort of got the idea at the end of the lesson, but an old dog takes time to learn new tricks.

So I hit the range for a big session, It was to get the feeling of weight more on the right side for driver, keeping right shoulder back, and release, release, release, release. You can practice this without balls. But, I need feedback at the start to get it right first.

When I was at the range, it was not even open, excessive enthusiasm. A good few cars were in the car park, “Bloody summer golfers”, Joking, that was so me before. They should try wind burn in January on the Irish coast. I’ve weather aged about 3 years in the last 6 months and more wrinkles from laughing.

When you come towards the ball, you have to trust the release, you feel you are going to flip the ball over or go miles right. I’m now set-up with much more weight on right foot, the pro has me trying as hard as I can to keep weight on right hand side as long as possible during the swing. He is sort of teaching me two swings for Drivers and Irons, I had a different ball position before, but, this much weight on the right is knew. I’m hitting the ball on the upswing, the height the ball is going is so strange for me, it looks like I have ballooned it, but it lands out at 230 to 240 on range with a slight draw, when I don’t release early it goes miles right, if I get it right it is a high draw. I don’t know if that would be great on a windy day on Portmarnock Links. But, it looked fine at 20 oC on a still day. I was delighted that after 1 session at the range I could get it and at the end I hit 6 high draws over 230 to 240 yrd carry. Rather embarrassingly somebody came and asked me on the range how I was hitting it so long, told him I’m getting lessons and the high temperature.

I’m not sure this is worth any shots to me, I was hitting the driver so poor, I was just playing the course in a different way, but it is nice to think you nearly know what to do with a driver. The only thing is I’m sort of dealing with two swings now. But, hey, there are many facets of golf, Bunkers, Wedges, Chip and Runs, Hybrid clubs. I just hope one day I won’t have to think about all this so much. Just play, play like the way I played as a child. I have to say I looked like a nob with shorts a tee shirt and golf shoes, just not looking right today (lol). The others were most likely, looking at me on the range and thinking, "Bloody Summer Golfer !"

Had to play a quick 16 today. Life and kids and real life had to be got back to. It was once again stunning on the east coast. The first out on the course, only the greenkeepers working diligently, the course and greens now screaming for a bit of water.

I had the choice of the driving range or the course, I know my driving is not ready for the course, but what would you be doing on a range on a day like that. It normally takes two weeks for the new changes from the lesson to make a bit of senses.

First Drive, hooked left, lost, 2nd one hooked left in a bush, 3rd one hooked left on fairway – I should have gone to the range.

It is a tricky when working on a new swing, you still have to keep yourself course fit, in other words, if you get wrapped up in the long game changes, you can forget how to putt and chip very quickly, if they are neglected.

Had a lovely Birdie on the 4th, high draw drive, a PW and 1 putt. It was nice to play a hole the way I want to end up playing golf. If I’m honest it is the first time I ever hit a high draw a PW to 4ft and one putt. The dream for one hole. The hope of the end goal.

So again, stayed with the Driver, knew it was just practice; it is a balance between weight on right hand side, coming on inside and release. When it goes well, I’ve never seen a flight like it. Very high draw, carries everything. When wrong, miles right (failed release), hook right (shoulder moves out I think or weight transfer wrong ?), Practice needed or another lesson.

On the 5th had a chat with a lad raking the bunkers, wanted to clear something up in my head. Is it best to replace a divot well or us a divot bag. He confirmed “divot bag”. I had such admiration for the staff keeping the course right, they had short sleeves on today, but my mind flashed back to January when I saw the same lad raking the bunkers in full winter gear. The same bunker, the same place, the same diligence. They are often forgotten and do a job of such high risk and sometimes unappreciated.

It is funny to see divot bags in places and either not being used or people not knowing what they are. I think people are getting a bit more use to them.

Finished with two nice pars. But it was a practice round defined by a driver in transition.

Moments of positive play, moments of horror. But now, I’m able to take outings like that for what they are , a bit of practice, a day in the sun, insurance in the bag for a later appointment with the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It is a tricky when working on a new swing, you still have to keep yourself course fit, in other words, if you get wrapped up in the long game changes, you can forget how to putt and chip very quickly, if they are neglected.

This is right where I am now. Have been working so hard on swing changes my putting average has gone way up.

The swing is starting to come good now though, only taken 5 0.1s so far :o

Time to start working on that short game again methinks!

Green Day at full volume as I hit the coast, my mind in a spin, life, work, things not going well, things out of my control. The music fitting to the spin in my head. Too much politics, too much wrong in the world, too much, too much thinking. Green day sing “THIS IS OUR LIFE ON HOLIDAY” “ HEY HEY, HEY HEY”

So, hole 1 in Corballis is my decompression chamber from the world. Golf sometimes, not just a game, medicinal. A place to escape.

Still practice at this stage, the Driver is the main thing and putting, 8 out of 10 irons now solid, in or around the green, 1 fat, 1 pull when wrong. Chipping improved.

Jumped out of the car, Last man out 1940 hrs. Two practice swings, PW slight draw onto green, the smile returns. A different type of Green Day now. Just the green fairways and sea in the background.

Went Par, Bog, Par, Par, Par, Par, Double Bog, Par, Par, Birdie, Quad Bog, Par, Bog, Bog, Par, Par

So +8 for 16. The Quad was a poor iron shot at the wrong hole at the wrong time. The joys of links.

If you have any link to Corballis, get out there now, the light green brown fairways and greens (a bit slow) are majestic right now. It is just the colour before it is too hard and brown. The humps and mounds are so defined, it is like real 3D. Not sky 3D. The only thing is the excessive unreplaced divot marks and the markings of a public golf course around the greens. Still a fantastic mini little links by the sea. This thread is too long now, I’ve said all that before, but I guess the season changes, the person changes, the golfer changes, the world changes. Still no sub 80.

We all have seasons as a person too, whilst the signs of summer bloom, I’m a little out of synch, a bit low of confidence, a bit brittle. I’ve realised that you can’t (or I can’t) play your best golf unless you are all there. My golf is trying to get me out of that hole. I hope it can.

On 12 I hit the longest drive I have hit there in 20 years, there is a walkway and in high summer with a wind behind, you can just get to the walkway, I got to the top of the ridge with a very high draw (my new flight). On the last as a test I hit the driver again (Not a good idea if scoring), I was just 20 yards of the green with the best placed drive I have ever played. Landed for the second time in a deep divot.

On the last green I had a stand-off with a dog, he was eying me up. He could sense fear, he could see weakness, he was right. As, I went to the car park, a cat jumped out at me and hissed, now dark, I was on their playground of the night.

There are signs of hope, there are signs of darkness. The light faded, new light needed.

Hear the dogs howling out of key
    To a hymn called "Faith and Misery" (Hey!)
    And bleed, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
    This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
    On holiday

Green Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Green Day at full volume as I hit the coast, my mind in a spin, life, work, things not going well, things out of my control. The music fitting to the spin in my head. Too much politics, too much wrong in the world, too much, too much thinking. Green day sing “THIS IS OUR LIFE ON HOLIDAY” “ HEY HEY, HEY HEY”

So, hole 1 in Corballis is my decompression chamber from the world. Golf sometimes, not just a game, medicinal. A place to escape.

Still practice at this stage, the Driver is the main thing and putting, 8 out of 10 irons now solid, in or around the green, 1 fat, 1 pull when wrong. Chipping improved.

Jumped out of the car, Last man out 1940 hrs. Two practice swings, PW slight draw onto green, the smile returns. A different type of Green Day now. Just the green fairways and sea in the background.

Went Par, Bog, Par, Par, Par, Par, Double Bog, Par, Par, Birdie, Quad Bog, Par, Bog, Bog, Par, Par

So +8 for 16. The Quad was a poor iron shot at the wrong hole at the wrong time. The joys of links.

If you have any link to Corballis, get out there now, the light green brown fairways and greens (a bit slow) are majestic right now. It is just the colour before it is too hard and brown. The humps and mounds are so defined, it is like real 3D. Not sky 3D. The only thing is the excessive unreplaced divot marks and the markings of a public golf course around the greens. Still a fantastic mini little links by the sea. This thread is too long now, I’ve said all that before, but I guess the season changes, the person changes, the golfer changes, the world changes. Still no sub 80.

We all have seasons as a person too, whilst the signs of summer bloom, I’m a little out of synch, a bit low of confidence, a bit brittle. I’ve realised that you can’t (or I can’t) play your best golf unless you are all there. My golf is trying to get me out of that hole. I hope it can.

On 12 I hit the longest drive I have hit there in 20 years, there is a walkway and in high summer with a wind behind, you can just get to the walkway, I got to the top of the ridge with a very high draw (my new flight). On the last as a test I hit the driver again (Not a good idea if scoring), I was just 20 yards of the green with the best placed drive I have ever played. Landed for the second time in a deep divot.

On the last green I had a stand-off with a dog, he was eying me up. He could sense fear, he could see weakness, he was right. As, I went to the car park, a cat jumped out at me and hissed, now dark, I was on their playground of the night.

There are signs of hope, there are signs of darkness. The light faded, new light needed.

Hear the dogs howling out of key
    To a hymn called "Faith and Misery" (Hey!)
    And bleed, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
    This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
    On holiday

Green Day

10 pars and a birdie in 16 holes at corballis is excellent scoring. That you can't transfer this to another course and break 80 is frankly bizarre. Almost unbelievable in fact, to someone who hasnt followed ur updates that closely. Honestly don't know how else to interpret it. I'm certainly not doubting your posts, it's just genuinely staggering. Unless I'm completely missing something here.

10 pars and a birdie in 16 holes at corballis is excellent scoring. That you can't transfer this to another course and break 80 is frankly bizarre. Almost unbelievable in fact, to someone who hasnt followed ur updates that closely. Honestly don't know how else to interpret it. I'm certainly not doubting your posts, it's just genuinely staggering. Unless I'm completely missing something here.

Major swing changes, not there yet. But will.

I think the OP wants to do it in Corballis or a links. I'm with you though, I'd head across the road to Donabate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

I think the OP wants to do it in Corballis or a links. I'm with you though, I'd head across the road to Donabate ;)

If he wants to do it in Corballis them I'm definitely missing something. Isn't Corballis like a par 66 or 67? Wouldnt 12 or 13 over do the trick?

I think either way if he's shooting 10 pars and a bird in 16 holes - especially on a tough track - he's closer to 6,7,8 handicap than worrying about merely breaking 80. I fully expect him to be a regular late 70s shooter in the coming years. Fair play to him - seems to have turned himself into a really good player.

If he wants to do it in Corballis them I'm definitely missing something. Isn't Corballis like a par 66 or 67? Wouldnt 12 or 13 over do the trick?

You could be right. I thought Fixed said he wanted to break 80 on a par 71/72 earlier in the thread.
    I think either way if he's shooting 10 pars and a bird in 16 holes - especially on a tough track - he's closer to 6,7,8 handicap than worrying about merely breaking 80. I fully expect him to be a regular late 70s shooter in the coming years. Fair play to him - seems to have turned himself into a really good player.

+1. First time Fixed breaks 80 could well be with a 77/78

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

+1
    I remember when I was trying to break 80 for the first time... used to play in Borris, a par 70 9-hole course. I used to often shoot low 80's, few 83's and my best was 81.
    Then on a wet day with no expectations I shot a 75! Probably was easier that I didn't have the pressure of breaking 80 coming down the stretch.

It is a bit unfortunate (or fortunate :D) that the course I've picked is a Par 71. But I guess the idea was to get under 80 , a 79 on a par 71 is a great achievement.

As, I've said, I'm not just out to score a 79 anywhere, I would like it to be a real full golf course. One I like.

I could have fallen under 80 with my old swing, but it was clear that there was real flaws in my game. This made me go down the lesson route and make major changes. It means I will have a game that I can go back to when I need to, not a trash where anything could happen.

With work, family, life - I can't see me ever having the time at this stage of being a long term single figure golfer. I can see me laying off golf a bit after this is over.

Sorry the thread has gone on way too long, I guess that is due to the new route that I went down, trust me it was not some sort of self indulgence to make it go on longer, It has been a pain in the arse that I have not done it yet.

The point being made, how can you play well at one place and not another, sure, I'm not a member of any course. Each time I go to a new course it is more difficult to score. That is why I'm going to stick with 2 or 3 course to score now. I like playing different courses.

I have not really started at my putting, well I have, but it is not great. My lesson are based on changing my swing. I will end up on short game in next month. I am putting work in, but need help.

I've gone from shoting in the late 80s to 90s, to mid 80s to low 80s. That is why it has been so slow. I don't underestimate anybody in single figures. If anything I have an even greater respect for them after this process. I don't think I'll ever be that all the time. I'm a short term drop in.
    I've had a birdie and near 3 in last 3 outings, I know i'll need to pop one or two in on the day to do it. I hope my putting lesson will help that. I find in situations I would have got a 6 or 7, are now recoverd with a good chip , a good safe option, not going for green from 1ft of rough. Most of the mad wild stuff is going out of my game. Even the bad days are more like 85 than 90.

I hope to get it wrapped up in next 2 months or sooner. I'm doing my own head in at this stage here. But loving the golf.

Fly fishing next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Ffs... stood on 16th tee today +6 , ended up with a 6 after 2 penalty shots, parred 17 and had a putt for gross 79 on 18... which I duly missed omfg

Will try once more :eek:

• Advertisement

mafc wrote: »
    Ffs... stood on 16th tee today +6 , ended up with a 6 after 2 penalty shots, parred 17 and had a putt for gross 79 on 18... which I duly missed omfg

Will try once more :eek:

Hard luck,

I'm on a bit of a break for the Euros. I thinking I should go back golfing after last night.

Needed a break, the Euros, the family, the job, the Father, life.

Got out to Corballis twice and the range once this week. I could see and feel the rustiness in the first round. On the first round, I felt all wrong, swing was like I had a tight leather jacket on. No flow, or relaxation, no release, no swing memory.

On the 2nd round I played well, ended 10 over. Putting still not great. Driving good, irons good, chipping ok. No birdies.

I sound like an Irish soccer player, but could feel the muscles in the shoulders, knees and back after laying off for a while. With the summer holidays coming, time is now a premium again. I never imagined that I would think back to the freedom of time and space of a nice dry winter day on The Island.

This year, a leap year, so out on the longest day of the year was a reminder of time. 365.24 days, how long will this take. I was finishing on the course around 10 pm, still bright. A reminder that a corner is now turned, time is diminishing, time is running out, but my game has improved.

I was happy I could take a break and come back and play ok. I hope this is a sign that I have a game that will be easily repeated, the breaks needed for life will not be so damaging to a better swing, a better way.

Off to Rathsallagh next, a place that was a low in my golf, the last time I was there. A breaking point in my journey. I have the card still, and will be interesting to see how much I have improved. I had a 101. A 5 putt at one stage. A day you never forget.

We need a low to reach our high. Time has its high as it has its low. Even when a low is reached in life, you need to know, that day will pass and return again in a new way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

make sure you don't let you previous rathsallagh experience wane you. especially the 5 putt. u need to treat it as a new day and forgot about previous experience.

So 85 today in Rathsallagh. Not great , but good to put the last round there to bed. Not scoring, poor from 100 yrds in. But I feel on the way back to a good score. I'm going to get a putting lesson next, also, from 100 yrds, not putting myself inside 12ft and never inside 6ft.

It was very windy and not an easy day on the course, so perhaps that is a better 85 than I think.

We all knew from the start, that this was all about 100 yrds in, it is time to forget about the long game , it is good, it is near single figures (I think). We need to put 90 % into short game now.

An Irish day of weather - wind and rain and sun. A place, rural to the core, rolling hills and Wicklow yellow and blue proudly raised on the flag poles.

A place that the golf course seems out of place. I'm gratefull that a Dub., gets to see a part of Ireland that otherwise I would not. The trees and growth in full bloom, almost overwhelmed with growth.

So - will move on. enjoyed the sunset and the company of two close friends. Golf is not about a score - (most of the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Sounds like a decent 85 given the conditions. Rathsallagh can be a tough slog. I found getting a few extra wedges & really nailing your distance control helped with 110yds and in. Once you get that right at least you'll find yourself pin high most of the time even on days where you're a bit wayward. I picked up a few Cleveland wedges, 50, 54 & 60 and the 50 & 54 will cover me for anything up to 110yds and it was the best purchase I ever made.

Corballis with a Cork friend. A friend with a hurling grip due to genetics and stubbornness, he has progressed very well in the 2 years at it - and hits a nice controlled draw. Have not worked out if this is his feet (tend to aim right) , slightly strong right hand or the nature of the hurling grip. From the last day I could feel my form coming back, still poor short putts and a fat iron every 6 or 7 iron shots, but coming good. I started Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Par. Level par standing at 7 . What is going on here ? It was all basic golf (boring), regulation and two putting – or two putting from fringe. The best I’ve been at that point on the course. I have to admit I did start thinking a little about the score . On the way up to the 7th tee I looked across at Howth and the sun was shining brightly on to it (happy memories). A stunning day, still clouds, blue gaps. Enough wind to keep the amateur sailors happy and the golfers thinking. Men and their games.

I was thinking to myself “Something in the sky today”. My bad shot now is a fat hook. And I hit a poor one and ended up with a double bogey. Corballis is a funny course in many ways. A poor shot at the right / wrong time and you are heading for 6 /7/ 8 /9. This can even be on a very small par 3. As they call them locally , “ De Kard Wreckers” “Bollix”.

The Cork friend is a very encouraging bloke on the course, knows how to get a team mate up, keep them going , push on – the great traits of a winning sporting county (and a good friend). I have to admit that I can be a bit weak in certain situations, probably the cause of my putting problems. But, I feel a change, I feel calmer, more relaxed, more confident. As a pro said to me – “there is no real consequences for a poor shot at your level.” “Enjoy the next shot.”

A nice Par on next hole, and then another slight fat pull on 9 – I guess this is when my old swing tries to jump into my new swing. Go away, old swing! – I’m enjoying this new one too much. So 4 over on the front with 2 Doubles and 7 pars.

I knocked it to 4 foot for Birdie on 11 and missed. Again pulling putts, uncertain about how to take short putts now. A bad drive on 12 resulted in an 8 . But then had Par , Par, Par, Par, Par, Quad. What a strange round. 14 Pars , 2 Doubles, A triple, A Quad. Amazing for 14 and Terrible for 4 holes.

The last was a fat sliced 5 iron, this time, at the wrong time to the wrong wrong place.

My bad shots resulting in poor scores
    A poor fat/slight pull 9 iron
    A Poor fat/slight pull 7 iron
    A Sliced Drive
    A missed 4 ft putt
    A sliced fat 5 iron

Anyway – I don’t think I ever had 14 pars in all my golfing life. It is just strange it was on a day I had not birdies and unusual bad holes. But golf is the full game. I’m over the moon with 14 pars there, my great ball control - when relaxed, and tall, and released, and loose. They seems to be the 4 main things I need to do. On driving it is weight on right, come on inside and release.

I don’t know if I’ll play like that again , I don’t know if I’ll see clouds like that again. When I got home, I texted my buddy “F**k me – I just got 14 pars”. He was happier than me, I’m sort of in shock.

So , St Anne's next – a new place, a new score, a new sky – what do the clouds have in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

14 pars and still shoot +11, ouchy :) Nearly happened me a few weeks ago but managed to hold onto +8 at the finish line ha
    Just looking, Corballis is a Par 66 5,100 yards, 2nd hole 255 yard par 4? 7 par 3's??.

The 85 in Rathsallagh is much more impressive really and u have to be happy with that, you'l be able to judge your scores and progress better playing par 70/71/72 imo, ur game will come on more

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Great shooting FdP, don't worry mate your day is fast approaching... I have no doubt you will do it... just need to get those brain farts out of your head :D

Tones69 wrote: »
    14 pars and still shoot +11, ouchy :) Nearly happened me a few weeks ago but managed to hold onto +8 at the finish line ha
    Just looking, Corballis is a Par 66 5,100 yards, 2nd hole 255 yard par 4? 7 par 3's??.

The 85 in Rathsallagh is much more impressive really and u have to be happy with that, you'l be able to judge your scores and progress better playing par 70/71/72 imo, ur game will come on more

Tones - that is the plan - i just use that place for practice.

But go play it and come back to me - ;)

• Advertisement

mafc wrote: »
    Great shooting FdP, don't worry mate your day is fast approaching... I have no doubt you will do it... just need to get those brain farts out of your head :D

My brain is one big fart. :)

Advertisement