Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Tones - that is the plan - i just use that place for practice.

But go play it and come back to me - ;)

Ha i hear ya....I would do but to be honest if im trekking to dublin im hitting somewhere special, cant be any tougher than portmarnock id imagine, i know shes links but with 7 par 3s and a lot of 300 yard par 4s you cant go too far wrongski

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tones69 wrote: »
    Ha i hear ya....I would do but to be honest if im trekking to dublin im hitting somewhere special, cant be any tougher than portmarnock id imagine, i know shes links but with 7 par 3s and a lot of 300 yard par 4s you cant go too far wrongski

I know you have played The Links - I would rate Corballis tougher. :eek:

But it is The Island you need to hit next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I know you have played The Links - I would rate Corballis tougher. :eek:

But it is The Island you need to hit next.

Really??? Jesus I dunno, i may play this place so. Yes the Island has to be hit this summer

Tones69 wrote: »
    Really??? Jesus I dunno, i may play this place so. Yes the Island has to be hit this summer

The Island is mad money - if you could some how go for the open week or early winter rate. Corballis would be a great warm up the day before. It is loved and hated in equal measure. Too many blind shots for the new player and public.

The Island is class, if you liked The Links , you will love it. again mad mad money. Loved and hated too - some people just dont like links and even more don't like blind shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

The Island is mad money - if you could some how go for the open week or early winter rate. Corballis would be a great warm up the day before. It is loved and hated in equal measure. Too many blind shots for the new player and public.

The Island is class, if you liked The Links , you will love it. again mad mad money. Loved and hated too - some people just dont like links and even more don't like blind shots.

FDP explain this to me in no more than 25 words. Why is Corballis so much cheaper than The Island if they are basically situated on the same piece of land?

Seems odd to me and I confess to not knowing anything about either of them (except the price difference). Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

the lawman wrote:

FDP explain this to me in no more than 25 words. Why is Corballis so much cheaper than The Island if they are basically situated on the same piece of land?

Seems odd to me and I confess to not knowing anything about either of them (except the price difference). Ta.

Design, condition, length, clubhouse. Corballis is a fun course and for its price is well worth it but The Island is miles ahead, for my money it's the best links on the east coast

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

the lawman wrote: »

:D:D. Thats very harsh, FDP is notorious for his poetic turn of phrase and long winded descriptive posts.. 25 words just isnt enough!;)

:D:D. Thats very harsh, FDP is notorious for his poetic turn of phrase and long winded descriptive posts.. 25 words just isnt enough!;)

I need a cold and hard fictional description here hence the limit!!

Lol - don't worry the pain will be over soon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They have factored in the likelihood of getting a stray ball to the head in Corballis. I only played it once, two very lucky escapes (25 words)

Corballis is nice, and great value for money, I would probably agree that it is a tougher course than the Links (when playing for the first time anyway, only played both once).
    Corballis has more blind shots, the dunes on the course are more in play than the links, i found the Links quite open compared to it.
    Corballis probably more undulating as well leading to more difficult shots.

Playing the Links for the second time this Friday

(Bugger, was comparing it to the Links not the Island...anyhow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I started Par, Par, Par, Par, Par, Par. Level par standing at 7 .

It's right about here that I would be switching to a 7iron off every tee :D

Golfgraffix got it in one. (he did the 25 word bit :))

Have not played Royal Dublin or Portmarnock. But from walking the land you know they don't have the height variation and dunes for a real great links (IMO).

I never looked on Corballis as a full golf course - it has about 10 fun and a couple of great holes. But too many par 3s. It is a pity, the piece of land has not got two great full courses. The Island course is placed naturally in the land , there was very little movement of the land in making the course. You cover so much area with the 18 holes. The views on Corballis from 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13. Are worth the 20 quid on their own.

If a modern golf course design team, came in, they could just fit 36 great holes on the land. It just seems that the land has not been used efficiently. But at the same time, that is what makes The Island a classic and a natural golf course. It is the only one up there with the west coast IMO. If only it had the views of Corballis - it has a few nice ones - but most don't play golf for the views.

Corballis is public, it has it's problems as a result. The piece of land is too narrow and divots and pitchmarks are not repaired or replaced. The staff do a remarkable job under the circumstances.

For me Corballis is a great, cheap way to play and practice links golf , to play the big boys when the game is right. They are too expensive to play more than 2 or 3 times a year. A happy compromise on the east coast is Portmarnock Links.

Jaysus - I'm going in circles at this stage. :P was that 25 words. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

19 sentences....excellent for you :D

As you come into Gran Canaria, the only piece of green you can see, on the south side of the island, is on the golf courses. The lack of rain is all too evident as you arrive, the contrast with Ireland is all too obvious. The Trade Winds cause a rough landing. “Thank God”, the long flight is over, “Please God”, the volcanoes stay dormant.

To play golf on this Volcanic Island, means you have to buy into the dream of capitalism. Anfi Tauro Golf, is a gated hotel and community, it is built into the rock face, starting at sea level and working up to a high elevation, surrounded by investment properties, timeshares, and retirement homes. A place conceived at a time when everything was possible and money was cheap. The ingenuity of man to overcome impracticalities, to make more money.

It was my first time ever using rental golf clubs, thanks to Ryanair. I had Taylor Made Burner Irons and Driver day 1, Nike irons and driver day 2. I made a mistake of not insisting on a stiff shaft day 1 , rectified this day 2. It just makes you love your own clubs so much more and not take them for granted again. It also lets you know that, your own putter does feel good and you will never abuse him again.

It is all Carts, it is all “yes sir” , “no sir” , “3 bags full sir”. A bit OTT for the Irish and a sort of Americanisation and (Tip-isation) of golf. The golf cart is a bit of fun and contrast. Anyway the heat and elevation variation make it the only option.

The amount the Driver Face was closed versus my open Titleist was so stark standing at the first. Even with my adjustment, I had a sense that the investment properties on my left better have good windows. The course is only grass on the fairways and volcanic rock or sand just off it. Bizzare!. Fist ball hooked left , provisional on the green . The course is so dramatic and interesting and ugly and beautiful all at once.

At this stage in my journey, I knew I could not go a full week without swinging a club, it was a family holiday, so golf was not ideal, but was quick due to carts and course design. The courses are designed for the passing trade and easier golf. With a good drive it is just wedges in. A low 4 iron under the wind is not needed here. It is all up in the air and enjoy the thin dry air carry. The ball goes a mile and the holes are even short. A good Irish golfer would burn under the heat, but burn up the course.

I’m not that at that stage, but an 86 on the first and 83 on the 2nd course, was good enough without my own equipment. But wouldn’t be fooled by places you can reach par 5 easily in 2 and hit greens on some par 4s.

Meloneras was coastal and the cooling wind much needed. The views of the sea are stunning, a colour unknown or unseen in The Irish Sea. The carts - ultra intelligent, almost driving themselves, with distance and location and score and flyby. If we are not carful the golfers will not be needed next.

On my journeys and play, I played with a Hungarian, had chats with Germans and Dutch and English. Europe now uncertain of it’s future. Golf pared back to basics, has a universal understanding and desire. When the façade of theses places is removed and you just play golf, you can all understand each other. No talking is necessary, just look and listen to the ball. Look at the reaction of the player. Help each other around the course. Forget all your troubles.

A plane travels through thick clouds, the thickest clouds ever seen. Wet windows. a clearing over Howth , all dark, but lights illuminating clubhouses along the east coast.
    Men talking of a need to get away, from this weather and country and crime. A man and family smiling and looking along the coast. Little do they, or he know, what they have.

Golfgraffix got it in one. (he did the 25 word bit :))

Have not played Royal Dublin or Portmarnock. But from walking the land you know they don't have the height variation and dunes for a real great links (IMO).

I never looked on Corballis as a full golf course - it has about 10 fun and a couple of great holes. But too many par 3s. It is a pity, the piece of land has not got two great full courses. The Island course is placed naturally in the land , there was very little movement of the land in making the course. You cover so much area with the 18 holes. The views on Corballis from 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13. Are worth the 20 quid on their own.

If a modern golf course design team, came in, they could just fit 36 great holes on the land. It just seems that the land has not been used efficiently. But at the same time, that is what makes The Island a classic and a natural golf course. It is the only one up there with the west coast IMO. If only it had the views of Corballis - it has a few nice ones - but most don't play golf for the views.

Corballis is public, it has it's problems as a result. The piece of land is too narrow and divots and pitchmarks are not repaired or replaced. The staff do a remarkable job under the circumstances.

For me Corballis is a great, cheap way to play and practice links golf , to play the big boys when the game is right. They are too expensive to play more than 2 or 3 times a year. A happy compromise on the east coast is Portmarnock Links.

Jaysus - I'm going in circles at this stage. :P was that 25 words. ;)

Thanks for that FDP. Next time I'll ask for 15 words!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Very good thread. Only stumbled over it now and while I wouldn't be quite as philosophical about the game myself - it's a game after all - I like a 'deeper' read about golf myself at times.
    Good luck with your quest fpm.
    I wish I had your lengths. I reckon I'd be scraping the 80 barrier myself if I did. Since I don't it's high 80ies with an occasional low 80 and of course 90+ rounds thrown in as well. Best ever was 81.
    Just one week left til the open :o Hope it doesn't deter you.

After a 38 on the back nine, last week in Greystones, I felt confident, was dying for a game, but not a man to leave an Open, unless I have to. The Monday after an Open is a day of enthusiastic golf. As a child, you would go out refreshed and renewed, thinking you could play the shots of your heroes –Faldo, Olazabal, Woosnam, Langer, Smyth, Woods, Walton. Heroes are harder to find in the cold reality of older life theses days. The idealism of youth goes, one day it is gone. You go looking for it, but the fogs and mists of a midsummer Ireland, are hard to see through.

The weather, the country, the crime, the lack of positive news. It just seems too much to take and face.

Why do I live here?
    That day on The Island in January.

Why do I live here?
    Mt Juliet at Mid Term.

Why do I live here?
    A Sunset on a Links.

Why do I live here?
    Family and Father.

Why?
    I don’t know anymore.

The Open was a deadline for me, I imagined it would be all over by now. It isn’t. I lost much time this summer - due to - time. The weather notinviting, the expected and unexpected demands of life. The ability to makeexcuses, when more practice at putting would do it.

So today was the day, great weather at 1600 hrs. Time to hit the course. Could I even wear shorts ? – how outrageous would that be. I put them on, like achild.

I arrive and think back to my last visit to Balbriggan, it rained all day that day. I got out of the car today and looked up, how are there so manyclouds out here, not one in the sky in the city. The pro gives me a knowing intro,“looks like you could get wet”. It starts to rain on the first and never stops.History repeats itself. “Look at me threads”, should not go on for so long,.

The glove is wet, the new Footjoys, not great in the Irish wet. The hands are wet. I’m holding the club too tight, that tightness causes aninability to release, that causes 3 lost balls. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

So, I have 3 months left to finish this, another low. I don’t know if I’m good enough anymore, ended with an 85. The smell of damp in my car is disgusting. I finish out and look at 2 kids on the course, now dark . Playing the shots of their heroes – Mcilroy, Woods, Fowler, Donald.
    No matter how negative you become with life. You can look at the young and dream again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Nice read on a lovely tuesday morning. :D Balbriggan has it's own microclimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

So, I have 3 months left to finish this, another low. I don’t know if I’m good enough anymore, ended with an 85. The smell of damp in my car is disgusting. I finish out and look at 2 kids on the course, now dark . Playing the shots of their heroes – Mcilroy, Woods, Fowler, Donald.[/FONT]
    No matter how negative you become with life. You can look at the young and dream again

So you shot an 85 with 3 lost balls, your not as far away as you think.

ssbob wrote: »
    So you shot an 85 with 3 lost balls, your not as far away as you think.

Yes I think it was just the weather got me down. But, the right shoulder is moving out causing an OTT movement. At least I know the problem. Will be back to myself next week. :) Also the wet weather was making my grips wet. So hard day to judge - need a nice day, to get out and see where I am.

• Advertisement

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Nice read on a lovely tuesday morning. :D Balbriggan has it's own microclimate.

Unreal - only 25 km up the M1 - Also that banging (for birds?), would do you head in :D

Nice course, tricky to get to 5 with a good score. Need to hit fairway. Plenty of trouble out there if the driver is not right. I guess you could do a Tiger and hit irons. But, it would be a long course without Driver ?

4 putt –What !

In 12 holes of practice the other day, I had 3 - 3 putts and 1 - 4 putt. It is official, I have a problem. I’ve been, sort of burying my head in the sand with a putting problem for about 6 months. I’m a good long putter, but from 8 ft in I get messy. Tense. I started playing around with my putting about 4 months ago, grip, back stroke path, tempo. I had varying results. I then found that my distance control has gone off with the change to grip. My putter shaft is too long for me too.

The 4 putt was on the last hole. I was on a par 5 in 3 , 25 feet from the pin, I knocked a putt to 3ft , hit it hard went 3.5 ft past and missed the one back. Head was in a spin. I was panicking a bit.

I was walking off the course, saying - well now you know. I’m going to go to a pro and see what he thinks. There is not a chance of breaking 80 with a putting problem like that.

So two weeks of putting ideas and practice. Perhaps that will be the 3 to 4 shots I need.

Behind it all, I know it is mostly mental. I’ve convinced myself I’m a poor putter. So maybe a new way or opinion will get me restarted.

The Driver is improving, the mid irons are great, the wedges are improving. Just long irons and putting gone a bit wonky. The parts of the game I was good at in the past are gone poor now.

4 Months ago I was around 82/81. Now I’ve gone back out to 84/85. I guess the summer holidays have not been as favourable time wise for golf. I need one more big final push – to get the job done.

I need to move over for the new Blog Boys. Just one more push, but a few less pulls of the putter.

I’ll report back in 2 weeks, an epic return to Enniscrone is on the cards in that 2 weeks. A place I need to return to. I was hoping that my game would be A1 going there. But, there is no harm in some truth to yourself now and again.

FDP, do you keep stats at all? They are very good for determining what area of your game is good or bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

4 putt –What !

In 12 holes of practice the other day, I had 3 - 3 putts and 1 - 4 putt. It is official, I have a problem. I’ve been, sort of burying my head in the sand with a putting problem for about 6 months. I’m a good long putter, but from 8 ft in I get messy. Tense. I started playing around with my putting about 4 months ago, grip, back stroke path, tempo. I had varying results. I then found that my distance control has gone off with the change to grip. My putter shaft is too long for me too.

The 4 putt was on the last hole. I was on a par 5 in 3 , 25 feet from the pin, I knocked a putt to 3ft , hit it hard went 3.5 ft past and missed the one back. Head was in a spin. I was panicking a bit.

I was walking off the course, saying - well now you know. I’m going to go to a pro and see what he thinks. There is not a chance of breaking 80 with a putting problem like that.

So two weeks of putting ideas and practice. Perhaps that will be the 3 to 4 shots I need.

Behind it all, I know it is mostly mental. I’ve convinced myself I’m a poor putter. So maybe a new way or opinion will get me restarted.

The Driver is improving, the mid irons are great, the wedges are improving. Just long irons and putting gone a bit wonky. The parts of the game I was good at in the past are gone poor now.

4 Months ago I was around 82/81. Now I’ve gone back out to 84/85. I guess the summer holidays have not been as favourable time wise for golf. I need one more big final push – to get the job done.

I need to move over for the new Blog Boys. Just one more push, but a few less pulls of the putter.

I’ll report back in 2 weeks, an epic return to Enniscrone is on the cards in that 2 weeks. A place I need to return to. I was hoping that my game would be A1 going there. But, there is no harm in some truth to yourself now and again.

Would u consider trying out those golf lab lads in park west? Think they have a deal on just treats at the moment,2 lessons for 29 I think?

The technology is very impressive & will show exactly what's wrong with your putting stroke within 5-6 putts

ssbob wrote: »
    FDP, do you keep stats at all? They are very good for determining what area of your game is good or bad!

Don't typically - just score. I tend to just know what is wrong (I think :)). To try the idea I joined golf shot and here are my stats for 12 holes practice. (played well)

GIR 66%
    Putts 25 =2.083 (2 3 Putts)
    Score + 5 for 12 holes.

Would u consider trying out those golf lab lads in park west? Think they have a deal on just treats at the moment,2 lessons for 29 I think?

The technology is very impressive & will show exactly what's wrong with your putting stroke within 5-6 putts

I would, good idea - I am a little slow to do that sort of stuff , but I'm a changed man this year.

Will go to my own pro first.

Update - have practiced for 2 days putting. See improvements. But am uncertain about route of club on backswing, how far, how much arc (if any) , lacks a smooth action, tempo inconsistent. Could be just practice - as most times it is.

Don't typically - just score. I tend to just know what is wrong (I think :)). To try the idea I joined golf shot and here are my stats for 12 holes practice. (played well)

GIR 66%
    Putts 25 =2.083 (2 3 Putts)
    Score + 5 for 12 holes.

Any chance of giving us a link to your golfshot and we'll analyse it. Your GIR seems impressive, putting not outrageous but a small bit of work to be done, 1.9 would be a target for you, that's 34 putts in a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played a practice round this evening, 11 pars, 6 bogey's and 1 flippin double on a par 5.... Gross 80 and lipped out for par on 16th.. Poor bogey on 17th

The quest continues :mad:

Enniscrone today, half light. It is time for some new dreams. What a place to start them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I would, good idea - I am a little slow to do that sort of stuff , but I'm a changed man this year.

Will go to my own pro first.

Update - have practiced for 2 days putting. See improvements. But am uncertain about route of club on backswing, how far, how much arc (if any) , lacks a smooth action, tempo inconsistent. Could be just practice - as most times it is.

You're over complicating it, concentrate on pace making those three putts into twos. Focus on one dimple on the ball when taking your swing

Also try practicing putting with your eyes close and guessing where the ball finishes by the feel of how you struck it ,ie. short left, long right and then look and see where it finished.

Advertisement