Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A dream to return to the place I love. A gap of nearly 20 years. I was over in Mayo for a wedding, so on the morning I had a 4 ball with 3 close friends. What a day for golf, what a course. I’d even put it ahead of The Island. It has changed since my first time there. Straight into the deep sand dunes from the off. It was a bit flat to start in the past. (from what remains in my head or dreams).

Perfect weather, no wind to start, but a wind building to the end of the back nine. A links course like Enniscrone, needs the wind to give you a feel for the place.

We were playing a competition, four ball better ball. The competition was fierce. It was a nice change to be able to relax and allow someone else to score for you (not just me every hole). We won well and we played great as a team. Id had 85 strokes, not bad on a day the back nine was tough and windy. Played great golf. Controlled, a bit cautious, but great golf, a low fight, a few draws, a few fades when needed. The bad shot is still a slice, but now in fairway or right light rough. Losing a good few shots from 100 yrds in.

Amazing golf holes, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 – What is the point in listing them when so many. I was so happy to turn up and be proud of the way I played. It was an added benefit to be with friends at the time. What a way to start a wedding day.

On the 13th tee box, a defining moment. What a place, a flashback to childhood. Four friends together the wind picking up, white horses on the sea behind the tee box. A stunning hole. We all hit great shots into the mysterious gap. I knew I hit a great one, using the wind and allowing a slight fade to take the turn. 30yrds from the green. I congratulated my playing partners on great shots, we had done it. Woke up at 0630, got to that point on the course, and all struck the ball clean and well, on a tough driving hole.

Another amazing day on the course, a few sips of Cooley Peninsula Whiskey were taken after the 13th. A separation of friends, due to choice and economy and love. A togetherness on that day, due to golf and separation and love.

On 17 into a solid wind, my playing partner and I, hit a 6 iron and 5 iron into 10ft and12 ft, the final insult. A low solid draw, one of those classic moments in our all too few great days on the course. The whiskey and sun and great golf, defeating the wind. Getting one over a classic links. Shots we will never forget. A day we will never forget.

My playing partner is new to golf, his best round ever. His new favourite course. A totally friendly atmosphere back at the clubhouse. No fancy marble or a fake façade, the course does the talking here.

As the night went on late into the following morning, 4 men with red Irish heads could be seen at a great Irish American wedding. Happy and content, a great day at the office of life and golf. A new dream - to one day return.

“ I will arise and go now
    And go to Enniscrone ” .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

am only in the door after spending the weekend in enniscrone. without the clubs unfortunately!! next time!!

fine golf course though. we were out in rosses point yesterday, course was jammed which was great to see. very very windy as well!!

As I walked out from the bar into the locker room in Baltray, an unidentifiable list of the world’s top 100 courses was on the wall, perhaps an old Golf World. It listed Co. Louth at no. 68. This is a list with Augusta National at no. 2.

What a place. The last time I was there was in 2004 for the Irish Open. Loved the look of it and said, “I’ll return and play this place”. As the years went by, the green fees put me off, over 100 euro for a game of golf is mad stuff. So never gave in to the expensive green fees.

I was sick of waiting to play it, so the weather was right, I had the time, was in the right place. “Ah go for it", said the wife. 85 euro is still crazy money for golf. But, there is no point in sitting around going, “I would have loved to have played that place”.

I love Louth, the people are somewhat reticent at first, but when they let you in, they are the friendliest people. You See! - They don’t want the world to know about their secret stunning county, the golf courses, the beaches, the great little towns, The Cooley Peninsula, The Tain Way, the whiskey.

The game is still not perfect, getting there slow, the slice is gone and it is now a snaphook if bad, maybe 1 drive in 6. The putting is still ropey, 3 3 putts today. Poor from 6 / 7 foot. but the irons are good and the wedges are improving. I had an 83. The scoring conditions were the best I’ve played this year. An amazing day on a great links.

I was going well (+1 after 4) , but hit a great 8 iron over the par 3, 5 , not use to that extra distance the slight draw gives. This started a bad run, ball lost on 6.The head dropped a bit, but then I just looked at the place and said “for God sake, this is class”.

The greens are the best I’ve played on a links, they aren’t as wind swept and as thin as most links courses. Perhaps, I’ve played it on a very wet year and it is not always like this. But, fantastic greens. It is a course you can score on, notas crazy as The Island or Enniscrone. A bit more forgiving and all in front of you, only 3 and 12 have a wacky feel to them – I don’t mind an old crazy links hole now and again. The course plays shorter than the card, run and the great weather helped today.

I should have scored a bit better, but it was my first time out on a tough (ish) course. I Went to the bar and had a shandy with the locals after an all over the place par finish. Nice atmosphere. Only if something like this was around the corner. I looked out on the course, two gentlemen in their late sixties in a buggy, still determined over every shot, one gentleman a lovely loose swing, the other, very stiff and trying to guide the ball down the fairway, I could see reflections of my 2 swings in both of them. I looked at them thinking, will that be me at that age still trying to break 80 (lol) . I’d say the two of them would hammer me with their short game. Me and my crazy 290 yrd drives, not worth crap to me when I’m taking 4 from 100yrds.

Hit the M1 and was home in 40 mins. It started to lash, I mean lash rain. I smiled and said ,sometimes you just got to get up and go for it, when the time is right, the weather is right, the game is ok. Perhaps I won’t get another chance like that. Perhaps I wouldn’t score as well there in 10 visits. Perhaps I won’t get back till I’m in my late sixties.

Sometimes, it is a great life.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

83 very respectable around a tricky links such as Baltray. Especially considering your curent putting woes, the long game must be in pretty good shape. Any ideas what the main problem is with putting inside 6 feet?

Thank Acejeff.

If i'm being honest, when I was shooting in mid to high 80s, poor putting could hide there. I'm getting to a stage and a score where there is not much room to hide your problems.

In April/May, I started to lose a bit of confidence in the putting, went to a short game clinic and found out that technically, I did have a fault in my stroke. I was trying to keep everything square, straight back and through the ball, I was pushing the putts right.

I also found out that my putter was too long for me 35”. I was thinking of a change of putter, but decided to just move down the shaft.

I decide to try an arc on my putting stroke. I could see a better roll on the ball, but was overdoing it as not use to the feeling. This resulted in me missing putts left.I still don’t know how much the arc should be. I think I arc too much ?

I would have considered myself very good at pace control , but with changing hands down putter and changing putting stroke, my pace went off a bit off too.

About a month ago it was a disaster, as in 4, 3 putts a round – I’ve worked hard and back to about 2 3 putts a round. It is improving the more I work at it, but –have had a mental summer with everything else going on. I know I need to go to my pro, but he has been busy with his own golf season and we have struggled to meet.

For a week or so, I tried to stand more upright, keep arc and this seemed to improve things.

I didn’t mind working on it alone and I’ve seen improvements, but it is a pity, because my 6, 7, 8 , 9 irons and PW are improving all the time and I now get in the birdie area about 4 times a round (less than 10 feet), I’m only getting about 1 birdie in 4. I’m not making excuses but these putts are just a tiny bit left or short ( short is a new thing for me).

The real problem area for me is 6, 5, 4 foot putts. Crazy , I think I just don’t know what I’m doing from here or why I’m missing them.

So I don’t know, too many changes, not enough work , not enough help, not enough confidence.

It is funny because I can make good 30 ft putts , great pars from 10 , 12 feet. But just not dropping when for birdie. It makes life hard in a round of golf, if you are well placed on 4 or 5 holes and only score a birdie once. A testament to this, is the amount of par 3s I get now is double what I use to get, but poof of my failing is how rare I get a 2. I can’t even remember my last 2 and I’ve been inside 8 ft plenty of times.

Very hard to score low – I guess more practice and help. Never imagined putting was something you could get help with (till this year).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

If I'm going to miss a birdie putt almost always it'll be fecking short. Drives me bananas, but as with you(though not to the same level of low) I only noiticed it when I started to score better overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm a hacker with aspirations, so not especially qualified. A few people here might be able to give you more reassurance than myself but I went here and it has been very beneficial, particularly over the range you're talking about. Very scientific, I was told very simply that amongst my errors I was taking too long a back swing which meant I wasn't being positive enough through impact.

Worth a try IMO, particularly if you respond to science and plain presentation of facts over softer tuition.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm a hacker with aspirations, so not especially qualified. A few people here might be able to give you more reassurance than myself but I went here and it has been very beneficial, particularly over the range you're talking about. Very scientific, I was told very simply that amongst my errors I was taking too long a back swing which meant I wasn't being positive enough through impact.

Worth a try IMO, particularly if you respond to science and plain presentation of facts over softer tuition.

Thanks , have and may, but was trying to stick to the one man. But, may change my plans. Will talk to my own pro first. Looks very good, but this stuff could be just in the head. Will think it over and talk to my pro - whenever I can get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Thanks , have and may, but was trying to stick to the one man. But, may change my plans. Will talk to my own pro first. Looks very good, but this stuff could be just in the head. Will think it over and talk to my pro - whenever I can get him.

Personally I can vary from 33 putts to 45 putts over 2 rounds without any real explanation. I find the Aaron Baddely approach works best for me, take a look, stand up and putt! Sounds simple but seem to putt better than when I spend ages overthinking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Fix I'm sure you're aware the problem is lack of proper practice, practice gives you confidence, confidence means you make more putts.
    If you don't practice then don't expect anything to change, follow this putting routine and you'll notice the improvement quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi FdP,

Glad to see you are still going for sub-80. I wonder if you are putting too much pressure on yourself to make birdies by holing those 4-6 footers? I've broken 80 twice and from memory I think I had only 1 (max) birdie each time. At a minimum, I think you need to par all of the par 5s and par the easier par 4s. Bogeys have to be the worst score you make.

Also, in my opinion, you will break 80 when you're most relaxed, when you get a lucky break or two and when you have one of those days when everything just seems to go right.

Continued best of luck and keep the prose coming. (Have to disagree with Enniscrone though - last time I played it it took 6 hours and we got lost at least once!).

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

Fixdp - not gonna try give you any tips on putting except to say keep practising and try nor to get frustrated with yourself, let it happen. But just want to say that you seem to focus very much on the number of birdies pars and bogeys you require in a round in order to break 80 - it's like you have this target in your head saying "right i need to rack up another birdie here to compensate for bogeys later, I need X amount of pars etc". I think if you can try and get away from thinking of that target too much it might be of benefit. When you're doing that you're looking too far in advance into the round, the same as saying "right if i get level 2s from here in i'll get 40 points" kinda thing, inevitably I find when you start thinking like that you tighten a little bit, then when you drop one panic sets in you try maybe force things a little to get it back.

I know it's an old cliche but I really think you should narrow your focus and try to just take it each shot at a time, try not to think I need a par here, just try to focus on hitting each shot to the best of your ability once you've made a decision what type of shot to play and where you want to put it.

Over the last few months I have really tried to adopt this mentality and it's helped with my consistency. I have also been a good bit calmer coming towards the end of rounds due to the fact that I haven't been thinking ahead as much and putting myself through the ringer mentally. Again cliche but focus on the now and not the overall end result.

I feel it's definitely working for me - in my last 6 comps I've had (all s/ford bar 1 strokes) 37, 36, 35, 70nett (par72),36, 36 - no score was shooting the lights out but playing consistently well to/slightly below my handicap - but after most of these rounds when I thought about it I realised that I hadn't been focusing on my overall score too much (obviously you know what you're on, but I've managed not to get ahead of myself and think I need to go level 2s from here etc.). Just my experience over the last while which you may be able to take something from.

You're getting close, keep up the good work, we'll miss the ole thread when you manage to do it!

That is exactly it ace.

I've been +1 at 6 playing great thinking ok this is on.

Normally the start of my downfall is a hook , then bad putting, a bit of panic - no need for panic it is a bloody game of golf , enjoy.

So is part mental - but I need to know why I'm hooking, I need to know if there is a flaw in my putting. If I get these right , it will only help. I don't think my game is good enough yet. Close, but not just there. I'm playing very hard courses above. But that is part of the challenge for me. Maybe, one day I'll play an easy one and it will be all over.

If I solve and make sure I have no problems (and I know I still have) , it only helps my game and understanding for the future.

This time of year has not been as good for the practice, and as MP62 has said, that is key. I think the autumn will help with this.

This breaking 80 is a country for young free and single girls and boys :)

I have played with total freedom in the past and parts of rounds, but it is hard to replicate it, a magic moment. Anyway St. Annes next (easier) then RCD (the big one) for the laugh - I'm spoilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Forget about the arc in putting. If you putt with your shoulders then the arc comes naturally, particularly on longer putts. the critical path is straight and square to the ball from 12 inches behind the ball and 12 inches through it. Trying to force something that should occur naturally will result in disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

no need for lots of birdies to break 80, nor is there a need to have a tiny amount of putts in a round, shot 77 last saturday, 12 pars and a birdie, 33 putts, probably 3 too many.

Putting is the easiest aspect of the game, simply move shoulders which move your arms, that's all. Ok you might not get lots of single putts but you can leave it beside the hole by keeping it simple. Straight back striaght through is fine once you stay relaxed, an natural arc will form if putting from your shoulders, trust it. keep the putter low on the way back and accelrate through.

happy putting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

stringy wrote: »
    no need for lots of birdies to break 80, nor is there a need to have a tiny amount of putts in a round, shot 77 last saturday, 12 pars and a birdie, 33 putts, probably 3 too many.

Putting is the easiest aspect of the game, simply move shoulders which move your arms, that's all. Ok you might not get lots of single putts but you can leave it beside the hole by keeping it simple. Straight back striaght through is fine once you stay relaxed, an natural arc will form if putting from your shoulders, trust it. keep the putter low on the way back and accelrate through.

happy putting :)
    i think that youve made a very good point stringy, you don't need a lot of birdies to break 80, and infact most of the time you only need 9 pars and 9 bogeys to hit 80.

i think we all forget that at times forever seeking a birdie, when for people at our level should be looking for pars and bogeys.

i find that when i play for par rather than birdies that 1. i tend to fomulate a game plan; keep ball in play, get on or close to the green, chip and putt or two putts.

and 2. i get more birdies by not trying ot get them.

It was time to step it up a notch. One of the so called must play courses of the world (In the top 10 they say). A bit of a final summer family break. All the tourist spots of Northern Ireland and a touristy golf course. The course was closed the day before due to torrential rain and course flooding. This changed my round in many ways. The course was exceptionally busy and a little soft. My playing partners were playing the yellows, so I stayed on them. Thank God, of whatever denomination you want I played yellows.

I had a shocker (92 strokes) . Was tweaking a bit during the week and this was a bad idea with the course I was facing. I was working on a hook that had leaked in. This gave me the worst day off the tee in (ever). I hit two fairways and 2 par 3s all day (3 pars). You are in real trouble on RCD if you do that, actually you shouldn’t be on RCD if you do something like that. But, it is a stunning place to walk without even a golf club or ball. I just enjoyed the day, had a laugh about it, and a few drinks that night.

My two playing partners were Americans (as expected). They seemed sound enough, but they were so jet lagged it was hard work to get them to talk at all. One guy was an exceptional player and had played in The Barclays pro am the week before. He had a great game and fair play to him. He said he plays well jet lagged. He looked, kind of, out of it and asleep, very relaxed, a lesson there.

I’ve never seen so many Cuban Cigars on a golf course; it was like passive smoking a Havana Cigar by the 4th. You could smell the tobacco and the wealth in the place. The price for the round of golf there is insane; it makes you think the course is going to be the best you have ever walked on. You wouldn’t pay that price if it wasn’t. It is a great great great course, but 200 euro – come on.

The history of the place is fascinating. The names of the people who have helped form the place or played on her are amazing, Morris, Vardon, Colt, Watson. The views around the course are stunning. I had a fantastic day, sunny, a bit of cloud, a bit of wind. Perfect.

I don’t think the course is suitable for most amateurs, I think it is too long and requires big carries on many holes. When we played into the wind going home (or going south) , it would be beyond most people outside single figures to get a par.

I’m not sure that some tourists, would enjoy the rough or the blind shots or the length. I think as a course, it is like a museum to traditional golf. One of my playing partners really struggled with the carries and would need to play off reds to make it enjoyable. Also, it was so busy we were playing for 5hrs 10 mins. I was actually expecting this, but the caddy for the Americans, said it was his slowest day ever out there. Very hard when you are waiting on every shot.

Northern Ireland is a fascinating place of contrast. Harps and Crowns , Tricolours and Union Jacks, Love and Hatred, Rich and Poor., Friendly and Unhelpful. It is impossible after a few visits for a “Dub” to ever think he could understand it.
    I guess that sums up Royal County Down, it is hard to take it all in after one go. Too expensive and a little bit overplayed, but it leaves a fascinating lingering feeling inside.

Went to the range for two days to see what the hell was going on.

Could not get a pro for love or money to have a look at me. Was thinking to myself you paid for lessons before, try use your bloody head and remember what he had told me. I went to a mirror bay. Looking at myself, a bit older now, a bit slimmer than 10 months ago, less hair.

On my back swing, I noticed that my right knee had gone back into it’s reverse pivot, the shoulder turn had become a bit reduced, my arms were a bit too disconnected from the body I was losing height on back swing. Now, these could be all related to the right knee. But anyway, just worked on each item, one at a time, over two days and RESULT. Massive straight irons, slight draw. I couldn’t believe it, two 6 irons onto 180 yrd green twice in a row, 4 Pws in a row onto 140 yrd green. More height on irons, cleaner strikes, less of that horrible range thud. When I hit a bad one it was due to me thinking so much that I was a bit too tense for release.

It seems I was not turning about the one axis, I was out of balance too. It seems my body had tried to go back to my old swing. Amazing. After a few shots done properly I could feel far more tension in my right knee / leg and lower left hand side of my back (due to turn) , I could feel myself holding my height. Best 2 days I have spent on the range. I know I’m not a pro, never will be, but it was great to know a little bit more about the swing. I knew nothing about the swing for 20 years, just did it wrong.

I’ll still go to a pro , but it is nice to do your own little fix now and again. Perhaps your fix is wrong and that is what the pros are for. But, if it is straight and solid what more do you want.

The Driver is a little more complex , as the weight distribution is different. But I could see how the flaws that had come in had resulted in crazy golf. With driver I had to work hard to get inside for the ball to go straight/ draw

This game, the minute you think you have something it takes away. Imagine if everything came together on the one day (lol). Had a chip in the other day , first one this year, 2 other went close. If only it would all come together at the one time.

2 months to go for 1 year, time is up soon. A bit late to be having swing moments. It is now colder, the ball flight is reducing and time is passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Best 2 days I have spent on the range .

Should you find he secrect of taking your game from the range to the course please let me know. Prepare yourself for; '' I was striping it at the range, i dont understand why I cant repeat what I did a few days ago on the range''.

I've a sore right wrist, a large blister on my left thumb, a slight pain in the lower back.

Time to lay off for a while. The most golf in 2 weeks I have ever played.

A 92 and an 82 in that time, sums up my year.

BTW, a big lay off these days is 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you know its going to be a great week this week weatherwise, when you get back into it next week it will be pissing rain :):)

you know its going to be a great week this week weatherwise, when you get back into it next week it will be pissing rain :):)

Great stuff out there matt - but have a plan to avoid rain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Great stuff out there matt - but have a plan to avoid rain. :D

Out of interest Fixed how often do you practice short game /putting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I know how you can break 80! I have the solution. I was up all weekend thinking about it and have it finally sussed.....

Play 16 holes :D

Sorry FdP..only messin. Keep at chipping and putting..

Out of interest Fixed how often do you practice short game /putting?

Not enough.

Short game 2 hours a week with putting.
    2 to 3 games of golf a week
    Range once or twice a week.

Last 6 weeks have been bad for practice. Just wanted to play when I could.

More time on my hands for next 6 weeks.

So 4 hours short game practice today.

Went well , trying 9 iron for chip and runs and holing a few.
    Sand shots only 25 % up and down - poor
    Putting good from long to 6 feet, poor from 6 feet.

A small bit of long game stuff , looked good for irons ,

Staying away from driver, did not want to risk injury to wrist. Nearly 100 %.

Game in am. want to keep it safe in am and get back to a low to mid 80. Keep the spirit up. Looks good weather.

A few more weeks of that extra 2 hours on short game may help, may not be enough at 4 hours will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Game in am. want to keep it safe in am and get back to a low to mid 80. Keep the spirit up. Looks good weather.

A few more weeks of that extra 2 hours on short game may help, may not be enough at 4 hours will see.

Good routine here also http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/93/golf/ultimate-practice-routine-992787/

Say if you bash into the short game practice for a but you'll get under 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

You should be focusing on always getting out in 1 shot, not up and down in order to break 80.

You should be focusing on always getting out in 1 shot, not up and down in order to break 80.

Grand will give that stat next week. Seems a bit crude. You could be out and 20 yards away ?

Was out 8/10 times today (approx).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

@ FixdePitchmark

If you ever get to play this course a couple of times on a good day , you will break 80 http://www.millicentgolfclub.com/index.html

Good quality greens and fairways , not undulating . Mainly flatish greens with two levels

Most holes you can get away wit hitting your tee shot 100 yards off line and not be obstructed for your next shot to the green. i.e you will usually end up on the fairway on another hole . Its a new course so there are only small trees growing

Fairway bunkers are not penal , rough is not too penal

This is the kind of course that breeds confidence , where you can easily get on a run of good holes . Just like buses , once you break your first 80 ...

Advertisement