Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Instead of going for a game of golf today, I went for a lesson. Had hit only 7 fairways in 36 holes, no matter what I do with the short game, there is not a chance I can score (some people don’t buy this) . I wanted to see what was wrong. Something was seriously wrong. I could feel something leak in over the last month and tried to get my pro a few times , but he had his own season and I was busy too.

I know a constant weakness of my approach to this, has been my obsession with the long game, but I have moved over to extra short game practice now. It just means more hours, more commitment, but if that is what it takes.

Is it worth going on a course when your game is not right, should you spend that time working on your game? I don’t have time for both. It is a tough call. But for today I decided to look at the biggest problem in my game. My Driver and long irons.

How can my short irons be right and Driver by so wrong. I felt I was getting trapped behind myself, failing to make room, not transferring weight. I just didn’t know what was wrong. Perhaps I was just getting away with it on the short irons.

So went to pro, he could see straight away that I had reverted to my old swing, not as bad, but outside the plane line, failing to get inside. This mainly due to left hip not opening up and my right shoulder firing out. Also failing to release and flipping the club last minute.

I don’t know how the hell I’m able to hit irons at all when you see it on film.

The last time I made changes it was very hard, but after a week or two I got results. This time I’ll go back to him earlier and not let myself fall into a swing that works but is still wrong. It is beginning to look like I’ll need a pro for long term, pop in every few months for a check up, like a car. I understand the swing so much more now, can’t do it, but understand it a bit now.

I started out on this journey to get a score, it is no longer about a score (says the man who can't do it:)) , it is about being a good golfer. I didn’t know how bad I was. I got scores, but it was all erratic. 10, 11, 12 pars then an 8, 7, 8 on par 4s. I could hit a ball O.B, next fairway, anything.

I’ve travelled the country and met great people and players, seen amazing things. When playing with great players, you can see something that seems so natural. I don’t know if I’ll ever look like that, or feel like that. But it is great to watch it up close.

I’ve realised that I also lack the confidence required to be a great player too. That statement in itself, is self defining. They have a confidence; they want to show you how good they are. They know they can hit a good shot when they want.

As someone said on here, golf is just a game, no need to think there is something deeper in it. Most likely that is the case, but I often look at people across a course and a driving range. Desperate, happy, sad, elated, determined – for what ? for who ? to prove what ? It is not just about enjoyment for some – It is hard to explain or understand.

It is not looking great to break this 80 in the short term .It is the first time in a while, I’ve had doubts. It just seems that my game changed in different areas at different and the wrong times. Poor wedges (improved), Slice (removed,back, removed, then hook), Putting (went poor, good, poor), Irons (great, poor,great, hook), Head (great, poor, good, poor). Time (good, bad, ok, good), Life(Bad, good, great, bad, good).

Too many variables, too many unknowns, too many increments. It is not possible to solve such an equation. The road is near over here. I’ll stick with it as hard as I can, and report back in a month.

Jesus! This game is hard, would I have been better off just sticking with the old OTT trash. Sometimes I think about that and laugh. Perhaps the great things in life do take time.

Such repetitive paradoxical rubbish is guaranteed here. Not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Fixed, on 17th September there is a Karl morris session on in the spa well range.

It's a group session lookin at golf psychology but with a little range time thrown in.

Think its €60 for the evening, 2-2.5 hrs long.

Might be worth taking a look at. So instead of the focus purely on technique you might pick up some tips on having the right frame of mind to get to your goal!

Fixed, on 17th September there is a Karl morris session on in the spa well range.

It's a group session lookin at golf psychology but with a little range time thrown in.

Think its €60 for the evening, 2-2.5 hrs long.

Might be worth taking a look at. So instead of the focus purely on technique you might pick up some tips on having the right frame of mind to get to your goal!

Spacecoyote.

I think there is validity in that, but - If you have a major swing flaw, it is just a technical issue - fair enough if you are a pro or low handicap player and can't do what you do in practice. But an OTT swing or failure to open hip is not a mental issue.

Perhaps resolution of the root cause, removes the need for soft issues.

But will keep in mind.

So Portugal on a golfing holiday. A funny place, golfers walking around the Marina in full golf clothing with shoes on and all. Red heads and drunk, as away from the day job and being allowed the week off with the lads by the wife.

The courses are designed for the passing trade and the retired expats living there. Not too difficult (most of them). The gaps under the trees are large and have no rough so you can get back on the course without losing a ball. The only time you lose a ball, is into an adjoining villa’s pool.

The amount of Irish money invested and lost out this part of Portugal is mind boggling. Actually it would ruin your holiday and head too much if you think about it. Just enjoy your holiday and leave the politics and news and mistakes behind. It is hard when you see the size of the villas by the side of the place. They also get free golf balls in their pools from the slicers.

I was playing with old friends, so a game in a cart and courses that arenot too taxing was nice, a beer or two (3) on the way.

I played unbelievably good golf. So unbelievable, I’m not sure the golf over there is believable golf. I had an 80 day one, an 83 on day 2 and a noscore day 3. I dropped a ball on the fairway after two went into a pool. It was too relaxing and unimportant to go back to the tee and play 5 from the tee.

I had to change the driver to stiff on day 3 and beside the one bad hole I had 13 pars and 2 birdies for my best ever play during a round of golf. I would have broken 80 (easy) if I had played out the bad hole. Amazing stableford score but not a stroke score.

I don’t know if I would like to have broken 80 in Portugal , it is not like Irish golf. The ball travels miles, the strikes from the surfaces are so consistent / forgiving. The greens grab the ball, the greens are flat and true, the rough is not rough, it is very hard to lose a ball, you are in a cart, you are drunk (lol).

So , it is not my true golf. I finished amazingly, with a 1 under par back nine on the last day. I have never had an under par nine and lipped out the last putt for a -2 on the back nine. Golf is not about nine holes.

So was trying to play new swing, but it is hard to believe it was a new swing at that score. The equipment I had was good, but not mine, the putter was a blade (ping) not my 2 ball. It was great fun, but fun, not (my) real golf.

It will be fascinating to see what all this means on a windy 16 Degree Celsius Irish Sea day.

I’m back striking the irons great , the driver back (almost) on line, the short game and putting slowly coming good (with practice) . Birdies every round now.

But – things are happening quick now. I won’t jump ahead too far. Just stick at it and let the work pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Well the day finally arrived for me, was feeling pretty good & decided to play a round this afternoon.

Gross 77 yipeeee.

11 pars
    1 birdie
    5 bogey's
    1 double bogey

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Was driving shocking bad today - irons ok, but driving just went. Slice, hooks tops. I feel the timing of my driver is all out. Anyway, it has been all range. Even, I’m not that mad in that stuff out there.

Banging away, this dude with all the pro gear goes in the bay next to me.

He looks that part, a travelling sales man or a CEO. I’m hitting at the 150 green, He starts hitting it at the same green, all his shots draw slightly, then fall on the green , 9 out of 10 times. I decide I’ll take a closer look at his bag "Keith Horne" on it. I remembered his name for some reason – I think it was the Irish Open.

A tour pro. He is lying 85th in The Race To Dubai, a late starter on tour and 2 good years in a row. Fingal driving range, not the most glamorous on the tour stops. Me not the most glamorous of driving range neighbours.

His short irons were amazing, but the odd thing was, he made mistakes. I was dying to ask him for a few tips, but decided not to be a spa. Got a good laugh out of just watching his ball flight. There was nothing that blew me away, it was just the consistency was amazing. Playing well within himself. Me 100mph all the time. He was looking at me going “fool”.

He had no coach or caddy, playing in an average range at Dublin Airport. It reminds you that even a slight bit off the top level is a precarious existence.

A bit of fun, I could see him watch me a bit, he knew, I knew who he was. A bit of a smile and a knowing look. For a few shots I could play a shot like him, or any shot he hit. The problem is, it was about 40 balls out of 100 for me, for him it was 95 out of 100. To make a comparison is ludicrous, but fun.

He, not even a top top pro, he needs to stand next to guys on the range who hit 96 and 97 and 98 and 99 out of 100 - perfect. He needs to organise his own training and flights and life and coach and driving range. Just one tiny bit away from the very top. It looks a great glamorous life the tour pro. But, you look at it for some and wonder sometimes. Perhaps it is not as glamorous as you think, away from family and friends, in the cold and worrying about the future, missing cuts, the injuries.

I hit a few good ones at the end and 2 or 3 great drives. I admired the couple more shots I see from the tour pro. A week off for him (no such thing ?), a big one on in USA. His life so different to mine, the Ryder Cup players lives so different to his. But all the same life. All the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Was driving shocking bad today - irons ok, but driving just went. Slice, hooks tops. I feel the timing of my driver is all out. Anyway, it has been all range. Even, I’m not that mad in that stuff out there.

Banging away, this dude with all the pro gear goes in the bay next to me.

He looks that part, a travelling sales man or a CEO. I’m hitting at the 150 green, He starts hitting it at the same green, all his shots draw slightly, then fall on the green , 9 out of 10 times. I decide I’ll take a closer look at his bag "Keith Horne" on it. I remembered his name for some reason – I think it was the Irish Open.

A tour pro. He is lying 85th in The Race To Dubai, a late starter on tour and 2 good years in a row. Fingal driving range, not the most glamorous on the tour stops. Me not the most glamorous of driving range neighbours.

His short irons were amazing, but the odd thing was, he made mistakes. I was dying to ask him for a few tips, but decided not to be a spa. Got a good laugh out of just watching his ball flight. There was nothing that blew me away, it was just the consistency was amazing. Playing well within himself. Me 100mph all the time. He was looking at me going “fool”.

He had no coach or caddy, playing in an average range at Dublin Airport. It reminds you that even a slight bit off the top level is a precarious existence.

A bit of fun, I could see him watch me a bit, he knew, I knew who he was. A bit of a smile and a knowing look. For a few shots I could play a shot like him, or any shot he hit. The problem is, it was about 40 balls out of 100 for me, for him it was 95 out of 100. To make a comparison is ludicrous, but fun.

He, not even a top top pro, he needs to stand next to guys on the range who hit 96 and 97 and 98 and 99 out of 100 - perfect. He needs to organise his own training and flights and life and coach and driving range. Just one tiny bit away from the very top. It looks a great glamorous life the tour pro. But, you look at it for some and wonder sometimes. Perhaps it is not as glamorous as you think, away from family and friends, in the cold and worrying about the future, missing cuts, the injuries.

I hit a few good ones at the end and 2 or 3 great drives. I admired the couple more shots I see from the tour pro. A week off for him (no such thing ?), a big one on in USA. His life so different to mine, the Ryder Cup players lives so different to his. But all the same life. All the same game.

This made me smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Thats a great post pitchmark fixer! Like it.

250 balls today, crazy , waste of energy and the body. But that is self-flagellation for you. I have sinned, recidivism, recidivism, recidivism – God I wish I knew what that meant and why I swing the club so hard and OTT.

100 Drives, Yes, I know, Idiot.

I’ve a society outing at the weekend and should win, I want to win it (or be in the running) . It is the golfer of the year trophy. Jesus, if I can’t win that at this stage, there is little hope. But there are a few 36 handicap players in the society (yes 36). So not exactly top class competition. I don’t feel so bad off 11 then.

Anyway, it is more the fact, that it is the first game on home (soft) soil in 3 weeks. When somebody puts Tiger Wood’s You Tube clips up, you know it is over and they are delusional . So here we go.

Because, of my previous disconnection issues – I have a tendency to go back to this problem now and again. This can result in anything. Massive slice, low hook.

In the clip below you can see Tiger’s hips nice and open on downswing and weight transferring to left side. This was the key to my last lesson. The problem with me is, my right arm tends to move away from the body on downswing, it is amazing for me how close Tiger’s right elbow is to his belt and body at second 7 and 8 of clip. This is what I’m working on. When I connect, I’m not joking, it is a massive drive, I’ve had lads on the range ask me what am I doing. I can hit 3 or 4 great ones in a row, then a big slice or hook. I can tend to tense up a bit and end up not releasing the club. I really have to work hard to get hips open and I’m not sure it is opening in the right direction.

I know looking at You Tube clips is a fools game, but hey! I'm a fool. Your better off hitting balls and see what works for you, when the basics are right or fixed by a pro.

I’ve been at this point many times already. I haven’t a clue about the swing. I need to go back to my pro again. All that camera and technology s**t. I’m hitting the irons as well as I have all year / ever. I don’t need the driver – but is that “real golf” ?, giving up on the driver, is that “real golf” ?

I don’t like giving up. I can’t give up. My back says I can.

I’ll stick it out for a month and see can I get this right. But 1 out of 5 of my drives would be O.B. , can’t do this thing like that, well I can, but I'm not sure I want to.

The difference this time, I'm not letting it neglect the short game, it is just part of my practice now. The short game is king now. 80 balls were from 100 yrds in, new ground for me. I would have considered that a waste of range balls 6 months ago. How wrong I was. I have 2 sessions a week that are just short game.

I've had great rounds over the last 3 months, I had a great great round only 3 weeks ago. So looking good now. Just trying to solve a few problems. I've had 3 great chances to do this over that last 6 weeks. The chances are coming sooner each time. It is all signs of incremental improvement. The odd big drop off in form, but the form now returns quicker.

I’m going to go out and buy a whip and Fifty Shades of Grey in the morning, it would be way easier than this.

Na, only joking, loving it, the pain and the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Nice post again Fixed.

I've had what feels like a bit of a breakthrough with my swing that I think will really get me moving towards that sub 80 round myself.

I mentioned a while back in this thread that I was going to a Karl Morris mind session in the Spa Well. Well, I can honestly say its one of the best golf investments I've made.

He does, as you are now doing, put a fair amount of emphasis on the short game, which I'm trying to do myself. But the thing that really stuck with me was his talk about the swing.

He was essentially saying that amateur golfers (and plenty of pros I'm sure too) have become obsessed with what their bodies are doing while they swing. His way of illustrating the point was to ask everyone in the room to pretend they were brushing their teeth. His point being that, when you learn to brush your teeth, you learn what way to move the tooth brush. You don't learn to raise your right arm, bend at the elbow, rotate your wrist, etc....

The idea being to think of the golf swing similarly. He wanted us to focus on thinking about what the club needed to do to play a certain type of shot, rather than where every part of the body needed to be.

So, after that session, a couple of days later I decided to put it into practice out on the range. I'd gotten to the stage where all I could hit was a fade, with a bad shot being a slice, but by just taking the advice picked up in the class I found that I was able to shape the ball with considerably more ease. I was able to hit Straight balls, Draws & Fades. Admittedly, not everything was perfect, but I just felt very in tune with my swing & the club.

Tried it out on the course the following weekend & found I could hit a draw pretty much up & down the clubs, albeit with a few pulled draws in their too, but it is a work in progress.

I feel so much more confident now that I can push my handicap lower and am really looking forwards to winter practice.

I think maybe there just might be too much going on in your mind while your swinging the club?

Now, don't get me wrong, he didn't say you should ignore technique, if you have a bad swing, a great mind isn't going to help that much, but by the sounds of things you have the swing in you, you might be just getting in your own way somewhat?

• Advertisement

Nice post again Fixed.

I've had what feels like a bit of a breakthrough with my swing that I think will really get me moving towards that sub 80 round myself.

I mentioned a while back in this thread that I was going to a Karl Morris mind session in the Spa Well. Well, I can honestly say its one of the best golf investments I've made.

He does, as you are now doing, put a fair amount of emphasis on the short game, which I'm trying to do myself. But the thing that really stuck with me was his talk about the swing.

He was essentially saying that amateur golfers (and plenty of pros I'm sure too) have become obsessed with what their bodies are doing while they swing. His way of illustrating the point was to ask everyone in the room to pretend they were brushing their teeth. His point being that, when you learn to brush your teeth, you learn what way to move the tooth brush. You don't learn to raise your right arm, bend at the elbow, rotate your wrist, etc....

The idea being to think of the golf swing similarly. He wanted us to focus on thinking about what the club needed to do to play a certain type of shot, rather than where every part of the body needed to be.

So, after that session, a couple of days later I decided to put it into practice out on the range. I'd gotten to the stage where all I could hit was a fade, with a bad shot being a slice, but by just taking the advice picked up in the class I found that I was able to shape the ball with considerably more ease. I was able to hit Straight balls, Draws & Fades. Admittedly, not everything was perfect, but I just felt very in tune with my swing & the club.

Tried it out on the course the following weekend & found I could hit a draw pretty much up & down the clubs, albeit with a few pulled draws in their too, but it is a work in progress.

I feel so much more confident now that I can push my handicap lower and am really looking forwards to winter practice.

I think maybe there just might be too much going on in your mind while your swinging the club?

Now, don't get me wrong, he didn't say you should ignore technique, if you have a bad swing, a great mind isn't going to help that much, but by the sounds of things you have the swing in you, you might be just getting in your own way somewhat?

Thanks for all the replies and thanks lads. It is hard to know what any of this reads like. It is just how it sounds in"me" head.

Yes, I do get into thinking about the body and arms so much, It makes me tense up and over think the shot. The only thing is, that this is mostly on the range. I don't tend to do this on course as much.

At this stage I've had rounds of 14 and 15 holes near perfect holes (for me). The fault that has come in to cause me to lose breaking 80, is a driver problem . I can now decide to drop driver at certain holes - but these breakdowns are unpredictable. I decided to try resolve this. Going to RCD and missing almost all fairways was a real let down and made me say, I'll never let that happen again, or go back to a place like that and let it happen again.

But at the same measure my driving was very good a few weeks later. :confused:

The putting has improved - was definitely over thinking that. Improvements with practice and relaxing more.

I still don't know my new swing, I will be getting a lesson every month this winter and get to know my new swing. Can you play with freedom when a swing is not natural to you. It is like going to the pub with your boss versus your best mate. It is like a cheap suit now. It feels wrong, but the seams are stronger.

I reckon at this stage, when I have a major slice or hook, it is me over doing my new swing or relapsing to the old me.

Maybe. I'm all wrong and should avoid any swing thoughts, I guess my pro will tell me.

I'm a way better golfer now - It was such a pleasure to hit 10 - 9 irons onto or just off the 150 green last night , stand tall, keep right leg firm, good shoulder turn , fire left hip open ,come down on the inside to outside , good strike, griped right, relaxed release, slight draw, on green.

Too many swing thoughts , YES, but with years/ months it will be more natural, never as natural as the raw untrained golfer I was. But, more hope of success and less certainty of failure.

When you start looking at the night sky for answers, it is the last straw. So I won my golfer of the year, an achievement – a goal, but not my real goal. I was delighted and there was a party, but no MOET.

The symbols of light and time have been the abiding memory of this. It is now only 26 days to go. I won’t see a full moon again till the year on this project is up.

I don’t think that is the end of my golfing journey, but will be the end of the thread. Too many demands, from the people who mater in my life on the horizon.

West Waterford and Gold Coast was the competition, I was all over the place with the Driver, but it was only a bit of a fun weekend, so experimented and stuck with it. Had 35 pts both days, the short game kept me in it and had 5 birdies over the 2 days. It was windy , but I’ve got the power and game for wind. I hit some amazing shots out there.

Gold Coast and West Waterford are a perfect location for a bunch of lads, on a golf weekend. Not Royal County Down or Mount Juliet, but excellent service and people who have been doing real tourism for years – they look after people well, they will come back. The town has the social problems of the day, young lads and girls drinking too much, little hope for some of them in this country and future. They are living for the moment to forget the future.

Dungarvan and Waterford are stunning, coastal and light houses and golf and small cliff side beaches and real people and life. Perhaps it takes an urban outsider to see the hills and sea in a new light. Perhaps from the trees there is great views never seen.

Sitting in the Gold Coast Bar, drinking pints with your friends and looking at the high tide and breaking sun, lifts the spirits or any man. Even the Ryder Cup can be a distraction from the views.

Golf is not about a score at the end of the great days, it is about the company and place and relaxation and sharing of ideas. About escaping your problems in peace, for just a few short hours. It is not a replacement for a wholesome life and love. It is a facilitator to that end. If you are at peace, the rest is achievable.

Travelling by taxi into Dungarvan for the Ryder Cup and the fun and madness of it all. The brightest moon ever, broke from cloud cover (Thanks Neil Armstrong). A reflection on the water , beacons flashing to bring sailors home, a lighthouse on the peninsula. just stunning, a cup won, friends in the random conversations of the moment. Me , in a short internal pensive reflective moment.

We can’t explain everything in this world, we know so little. We shouldn’t look too deep into things. Enjoy the moment, the moon will return one day, the same.

For the laugh - dark and poor footage, but - here we go , off a bloody phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wXMW-bfNw

82 today in At. Annes. Played poor. Nothing I was happy with. Well, up and downs were good, needed. Poor Drving , poorish putting. poor Irons.

Stuck at it and made Bogies when it should have been more and almost a hole in 1 at 17. A good shot out of water on another hole.

St Annes greens have improved , maybe - 5 and 17 still not great. The place is looking well. I think it is now a harder course than it looks. It is hard to get close, due to raised greens and clever bunkers. The wind is a factor too and a bad shot at the wrong time is lost. With the changing wind it can be hard to judge the club and how the ball will roll on the green. It is very far from a soft parkland course.

To play bad and get an 82 is the only positive. Flag at half mast today there. Joining a golf course is for life for some. Never seen a course with such great workers on the place, bunkers, greens, tee boxes, picking up broken tees, spraying - they try hard with what they have there. Honest and friendly too.

Don't know if I should go for a lesson , or practice more. Time to think or just play.

These are the final moves , with only 5 pieces left on the chess board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Skip the lessons FP, get down to the putting green and make 50 four footers in a row. Quality putting practice is always the quickest way to make up shots. You're definitely not far off with 82 on a bad day. Best of luck with the remainder of the project.

Skip the lessons FP, get down to the putting green and make 50 four footers in a row. Quality putting practice is always the quickest way to make up shots. You're definitely not far off with 82 on a bad day. Best of luck with the remainder of the project.

Yes , missed a week of putting last week and I could see that today - had 4 putts for birdie and made none - a few of them were going in last week and the week before. Greens are harder there. So should not jump to any crazy ideas - back to putting green and GUI Maynooth - that has paid off big time with my short game. I love chips now. I need to love putts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

GUI Maynooth? Is that Carton House? I didnt realise how close that place is to where I work so I promised myself I would go over some lunch time for short game practice. But then I got wondering if there was membership required or if it is ok to just walk in and start practicing?

Nice swing by the way in your youtube. It was a bit like watching Luke Donald :-)

Arsenium wrote: »
    GUI Maynooth? Is that Carton House? I didnt realise how close that place is to where I work so I promised myself I would go over some lunch time for short game practice. But then I got wondering if there was membership required or if it is ok to just walk in and start practicing?

Nice swing by the way in your youtube. It was a bit like watching Luke Donald :-)

Donald :D. I know, swing a bit to jerky and too fast, but at the start was worse - if you can believe that - A fat John Daly. :p

It is next to Carton - but not part of it. Very Pricey if not a member - they will let you use it for about 10 euro for 2 hours - But it is 10 euro an hour - I think I would join if not so far away. But, it is expensive if non member. Has taken 2 to 4 shots off my game.

Short game lessons there would be class. Great to get roll out on green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

I considered joining Carton range as well. Think they were looking for EUR150 for the year, then your range balls are cheaper each time you go and certain parts of the short game area are free. As FDP can probably attest, you'd need to be using it a nice bit to make a saving.

As it is, I pay 10 euro for the large bucket of balls and an hour on the putting green, maybe once a month. Suppose I'd need to be doing that 20 or 30 times a year to be worth joining the place.

What I did earlier this year was buy a shag bag and 100 refinished balls (80 quid all in) and go to a nearby field regularly. Much cheaper and equally benefcial. Tho no manicured putting green!

I considered joining Carton range as well. Think they were looking for EUR150 for the year, then your range balls are cheaper each time you go and certain parts of the short game area are free. As FDP can probably attest, you'd need to be using it a nice bit to make a saving.

As it is, I pay 10 euro for the large bucket of balls and an hour on the putting green, maybe once a month. Suppose I'd need to be doing that 20 or 30 times a year to be worth joining the place.

What I did earlier this year was buy a shag bag and 100 refinished balls (80 quid all in) and go to a nearby field regularly. Much cheaper and equally benefcial. Tho no manicured putting green!

The price of balls there if you are not a member is like going to Vegas for the weekend. Crazy stuff. Too far for me anyway. But, lovely spot - you need to be a pro there is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

The price of balls there if you are not a member is like going to Vegas for the weekend. Crazy stuff. Too far for me anyway. But, lovely spot - you need to be a pro there is the only way.

Have you been to Spawell recently? Now that is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I've been reading this thread for a while and decided to finally register on boards and post a reply.... I can really empathise with you FDP. I have been playing golf regularly for years, played a lot of pitch and putt as a kid. Golf has played a huge part in my life and I really love the game.

The problem for me is that my handicap is 15. For someone who plays as regular as me and with the passion and drive to only be a 15 handicapper is tough. I have never broken 80 either but I have come close many times. This year has been tough for me too. Started the year at 16.5 played really well into the early summer and for several weeks in a row I was scoring 36 points and above. The handicap dropped to 14.5. Twice in three weeks I had great chances to become a 14 handicapper and messed up the 18th- one week I only needed a point on the last and the other a 2 pointer would have done. On both days I was just one shot too many.

It then became an obsession to get down further and ever since my game has gone to crap. I have gone from 14.5 to 15.1 in just over two months- that's nearly a +0.1 every week. My confidence is now shattered and to be honest I'm glad the winter season is about to kick in. I need to get off the golf course and get some lessons. My problem is time and money. I already spend too much on golf as it is. I have a wife and kids that have demands too.

At the start of the year my aims were to break 80 once, have a double bogey free round and get my handicap down to 12. Half way through the year I thought I would do it. I did none of them.

It's such a frustrating game!! But just like FDP, I am not giving up on the dream....

Have you been to Spawell recently? Now that is crazy

No , How much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

No , How much ?

7 euro for 50 balls, 9 for 100.

Edit: It will be soon better value to go buy a 100 crappy lake balls and head off to a field somewhere.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread for a while and decided to finally register on boards and post a reply.... I can really empathise with you FDP. I have been playing golf regularly for years, played a lot of pitch and putt as a kid. Golf has played a huge part in my life and I really love the game.

The problem for me is that my handicap is 15. For someone who plays as regular as me and with the passion and drive to only be a 15 handicapper is tough. I have never broken 80 either but I have come close many times. This year has been tough for me too. Started the year at 16.5 played really well into the early summer and for several weeks in a row I was scoring 36 points and above. The handicap dropped to 14.5. Twice in three weeks I had great chances to become a 14 handicapper and messed up the 18th- one week I only needed a point on the last and the other a 2 pointer would have done. On both days I was just one shot too many.

It then became an obsession to get down further and ever since my game has gone to crap. I have gone from 14.5 to 15.1 in just over two months- that's nearly a +0.1 every week. My confidence is now shattered and to be honest I'm glad the winter season is about to kick in. I need to get off the golf course and get some lessons. My problem is time and money. I already spend too much on golf as it is. I have a wife and kids that have demands too.

At the start of the year my aims were to break 80 once, have a double bogey free round and get my handicap down to 12. Half way through the year I thought I would do it. I did none of them.

It's such a frustrating game!! But just like FDP, I am not giving up on the dream....

Barna Boy - (That Galway ?)

Great first post. Thanks for your empathy.

Yes, had times I was trying too hard and got worse (as in months) - Lessons are the way to go and they are not as expensive as they were - but spending too much money myself too. I guess I just decided that this year was a one off. The stuff I have gained from this year will stand to me if in the future. There is great free tips on here from lads off +1, scratch, 1, 2, 3. The most I picked up over the year was on here.

I spent too much time practising with errors in my swing - I only improved when a pro told me what the flaws were - I spent hundreds of euros for near 5 months hitting thousands of balls the wrong way.

Moving into the short game was the quickest shots I made. (AS I WAS TOLD AGAIN AND AGAIN ON HERE) . But I wanted to fix the swing flaws first. Maybe a long winded way to try it and has so far proved unsucessfull - So ignore me - :D:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::confused:

But with kids etc. there is only so far you can go - it was sort of crazy to take this on now, but something that was giving me an itch.

Best of luck on boards 92 % are sound 8 % are weridos and freaks like me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Yes, had times I was trying too hard and got worse (as in months) - Lessons are the way to go and they are not as expensive as they were - but spending too much money myself too. I guess I just decided that this year was a one off. The stuff I have gained from this year will stand to me if in the future. There is great free tips on here from lads off +1, scratch, 1, 2, 3. The most I picked up over the year was on here.

I spent too much time practising with errors in my swing - I only improved when a pro told me what the flaws were - I spent hundreds of euros for near 5 months hitting thousands of balls the wrong way.

Moving into the short game was the quickest shots I made. (AS I WAS TOLD AGAIN AND AGAIN ON HERE) . But I wanted to fix the swing flaws first. Maybe a long winded way to try it and has so far proved unsucessfull - So ignore me - :D:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::confused:

But with kids etc. there is only so far you can go - it was sort of crazy to take this on now, but something that was giving me an itch.

Best of luck on boards 92 % are sound 8 % are weridos and freaks like me. :P

Practice ,practice, practice ! However I've acquired a Golf Buddy in recent times & reckon it's worth 4 shots per round. You get to know on longish par 4's that you're not going to reach the green so it's chip & putt time. On par 5's I find I now use less club 2nd shot and lay up to a comfortable distance resulting in more pars & birdies.

Over the last few weeks I have realised that I hit iron shots further than I thought, so the Buddy has given me great confidence. I finally broke 80 a week or so ago & have to say the Golf Buddy was like an extra club in the bag.

On a final note putting is very important, eradicate the 3 putts and watch your score tumble.
    Remember the old saying "Drive for show, Putt for dough" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Moving into the short game was the quickest shots I made. Best of luck on boards 92 % are sound 8 % are weridos and freaks like me. :P

No not Galway. Name based on my club in Offaly. The short game advice is probably best, it can be erratic for me. However last Sunday I putted really well but still scored badly- like yourself my driving is really unreliable at the moment, some days great, others disastrous. When you lose several shots to OOB drives or chopping out sideways from under a tree you are really doomed :mad: My whole game from tee to green needs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Barnaboy wrote: »
    My whole game from tee to green needs attention.

Ditto:D

Lads, there was a great debate, on my approach by the lads on here. It centered on if I should achieve it by course management or short game or swing changes or lessons or playing more. It got heated.

In the end, I went for a swing change and then working into green. It was slower, but I believe that had the chance of making me a better golfer in the long run. The only problem was that the modifications to my swing were large and irreversible once you committed to them. I spent a good 3 months at this. Could not even practice short game due to the work I put into that.

In summary

I spent too long, not getting a lesson, did not know how poor my swing was.
    Spent 6 months doing it my way, hitting thousands of balls (waste of time, energy, money and plasters).
    Spent 3 months changing swing. This was actually much quicker than I expected and a bit easier.
    Spent 2 months so far on short game.
    The shots are coming in quicker now, the birdies are more frequent. I’ve improved as a golfer. After all that - I went from scores of 89 to 85 range , to 85 to 81 range. I’ve had rounds with 14 pars, and one with 2 birdies and 12 pars. Just didn’t score sub 80 due to O.B or a few crazy holes.
    So even though I have not got there yet - my approach is paying dividends at the end. But there are a thousands ways to break an omelette (;)).

I put this summary up here as it may help somebody who wants to improve. It shows that stubbornness with swing flaws is a waste of time.

You can course manage and short game your way below 80, but are you a better golfer overall ? will you come to a wall just under 80 ?

Anyway more work less talk.

BTW lost 1 month talking ****e on here – but gained 3 by listening. :o

• Advertisement

Even the birds were on the move around St. Annes today. The birdwatcher out in force, men and their crazy hobbies , says the man with enough clothes on to climb Everest. Not that cold, a lovely day, but a wind that would cut you to bits.

A mixed day at the office, 2 3 Putts, 2 thin and hocked irons, 2 bad drives, 1 bad chip. 83 in the end. Don’t know what to make of it, the wind was 8 m/s and the index 1 was a nightmare (7 shots). Disappointed, I feel my driving work has paid off and hit plenty of fairways. It seems that when I apply myself to something hard I get results, but the putting drifts on me. I’m a bit worried about the putting now, I don’t know what my stroke is. I’m going to go to the Lab Thingy or a pro for putting only.

Ah, maybe I’m being a bit hard on myself, it was tough out there and I would have been over the moon with an 83 there a year ago. But, I know today was a good chance. 7 iron to 8 feet on 17 was a highlight – but missing the putt sums up where I’m at.

So, a slight improvement this week on general play, but a few underlying little problems. I was hitting 5 irons where I normally hit 8 and 9 irons from, due to wind. It was a bit of fun to hit a 5 iron into the wind.

A lovely day, met a man in the car park about 70, looking at the sky and saying “rain on the way”. Another man who has made a life out of golf – he congratulated me on my par on the last and told me fair play on playing alone. I explained that my friends are finishing up their GAA and Football and are in the process of joining me. Even the birds fly in a flocks.

I seem to be finishing very strong, par, bog, par, par. Maybe it is when the 80 is gone and off my back – maybe it proves the truth of the mental hypothesis put forward by some here. Maybe. Most likely.

I’ve a few more weeks – then decision what to do next. I’m still loving it, but there is more to life than golf. So a few pints tonight, I’m proud of a good few shots out there.
    I should give myself a bit more credit – so here it goes – theses were great shots.
    • wedge on 1
    • Drive on 4
    • 7 Iron on 5
    • Drive on 7
    • 4 Iron on 8
    • 5 Iron on 10
    • Drive on 11
    • Drive on 13
    • Pitch on 14
    • Putt on 15
    • Chip on 16
    • 7 Iron on 17