Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Even the birds were on the move around St. Annes today. The birdwatcher out in force, men and their crazy hobbies , says the man with enough clothes on to climb Everest. Not that cold, a lovely day, but a wind that would cut you to bits.

A mixed day at the office, 2 3 Putts, 2 thin and hocked irons, 2 bad drives, 1 bad chip. 83 in the end. Don’t know what to make of it, the wind was 8 m/s and the index 1 was a nightmare (7 shots). Disappointed, I feel my driving work has paid off and hit plenty of fairways. It seems that when I apply myself to something hard I get results, but the putting drifts on me. I’m a bit worried about the putting now, I don’t know what my stroke is. I’m going to go to the Lab Thingy or a pro for putting only.

Ah, maybe I’m being a bit hard on myself, it was tough out there and I would have been over the moon with an 83 there a year ago. But, I know today was a good chance. 7 iron to 8 feet on 17 was a highlight – but missing the putt sums up where I’m at.

So, a slight improvement this week on general play, but a few underlying little problems. I was hitting 5 irons where I normally hit 8 and 9 irons from, due to wind. It was a bit of fun to hit a 5 iron into the wind.

A lovely day, met a man in the car park about 70, looking at the sky and saying “rain on the way”. Another man who has made a life out of golf – he congratulated me on my par on the last and told me fair play on playing alone. I explained that my friends are finishing up their GAA and Football and are in the process of joining me. Even the birds fly in a flocks.

I seem to be finishing very strong, par, bog, par, par. Maybe it is when the 80 is gone and off my back – maybe it proves the truth of the mental hypothesis put forward by some here. Maybe. Most likely.

I’ve a few more weeks – then decision what to do next. I’m still loving it, but there is more to life than golf. So a few pints tonight, I’m proud of a good few shots out there.
    I should give myself a bit more credit – so here it goes – theses were great shots.
    • wedge on 1
    • Drive on 4
    • 7 Iron on 5
    • Drive on 7
    • 4 Iron on 8
    • 5 Iron on 10
    • Drive on 11
    • Drive on 13
    • Pitch on 14
    • Putt on 15
    • Chip on 16
    • 7 Iron on 17
    • Drive, chip, putt on 18.

Wouldn’t it be great, to be a bird.

I think you have finally hit the nail on the head ie. wouldn't it great to be a Bird......
    Try playing off the Red markers for a while, surely easier :D

Seriously though keep it up looks like you are hitting enough good shots to achieve your goal

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

When I first read this thread I thought sub 80 is something I could only dream of. Having had an 83, 84 and 2 85s recently I'm starting to believe. Maybe in the next 12 months possibly???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

When I first read this thread I thought sub 80 is something I could only dream of. Having had an 83, 84 and 2 85s recently I'm starting to believe. Maybe in the next 12 months possibly???

Fair play.

I wish I could say the same about myself. ;):rolleyes::(:o

Low 80's is me playing out of my skin. However sub 90 was until recently. Sure ill join in with this thread and hopefully i do it within the next year.

Low 80's is me playing out of my skin. However sub 90 was until recently. Sure ill join in with this thread and hopefully i do it within the next year.

Best of luck - very quick to get from sub 90 to your scores now , fair play.

One way or the other , I'd say the thread will be finished soon for me.

Did you put much work in ?
    What approach did you take to improve ?

• Advertisement

I really don't know to be honest. Just keeping drives in play to avoid scratches. Iv developed the ability to get down in 2 on the green 90% of the time. Having a few up and downs from within 30 yards. All iv been concentrating on my chipping/pitching is not lifting the head until the ball is well gone, like with putting. Discovered a slow down swing on chips doesn't make you scuff as long as you commit the whole way through the shot.

In terms of putting work in im playing twice a week minimum. In terms of the approach iv taken a little bit of pressure off myself and stopped watching hundreds of videos on youtube to fix this that and the other. Feel iv taken enough from these videos at this stage when i do something wrong i can identify it easier.

The rain was so heavy today, it was a great night to look at the crazy rain and bang balls into the night sky. The best night I ever had at a range, just everything worked, 20 , 25 great shots in a row , followed by a slight hook or draw, then 15, 20 great iron shots. Any club from the bag and in or near target.

I’ve been working on a good rotation, when I went down the obsessed connection route, I was a bit blocked on the inside, dropping the club down too much sometimes causing poor weight transfer. I feel the club is in a better delivery position now. Great stuff. Perhaps all that is wrong, but it is working - great! I never had any problem striking irons, but this is way better than I ever was, I feel a total new golfer. When I hit a bad shot, I think I now know why, I can fix it myself.

Ah, for god sake - it is only a night at a bloody driving range, the foolish golfer’s gold – but this was different.

Just get this bloody putting right – plan with that in progress. Not great weather for short game practice. But, make the best of it.

I can’t believe I’m still this enthusiastic about a night at the range . The last to leave the range, flooded roads again. Planes struggling home. Can’t wait to get to a links. The truth is on the course.

Always give me a laugh mate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Always give me a laugh mate

Anytime I see this thread bumped all that goes through my head is "he's done it, he's done it"
    Sadly not to be just yet, hope that day happens soon!

This isn't just about yourself anymore FDP!!!
    There are a lot of us bought into this :D

What is your best so far Fixer?

• Advertisement

My favourite (lol) – I guess we are talking golf.

The game that has yet to be played
    The score that has yet to be scored
    The piece that has yet to be written
    The view that has yet to be seen
    The friend that has yet to be met
    The wine that has yet to be tasted
    The talent that has yet to be wasted
    The love that has yet to be lost
    The child that has yet to be born
    The present moment, that can not be taken

Only joking man, don’t know what you are asking – but trying to make up an answer.

14 pars in Corballis,
    81 in The Links Portmarnock,
    80 in Portugal,

For some silly reason, I went off and changed things after all these rounds. Harington like. It is sort of crazy that I have not broke it. Not enough work on short game if the truth be told.

Yeah thats all i was asking. What your best round was in your quest to break 80. So you've almost tasted it.

Bad week from 100 yrds in, wedges and putter gone poor again (lost 5+shots on green) it came to a head when I had 2 holes in a row in A1 position(110 yrds) after drive, but double bogey on both holes. Head dropped then.

I said, ok - time to get this putting sorted. Went to the Golf Lab. I knew I had problem pulling putts; this was bad and tended to get worse when the putt got shorter. I had got to a stage where, I could hardly practice my putting, because it caused me to tinker too much and confuse my putting stroke even more.

I love a bit of science, but putting and science seem like opposing forces. But, all my golf equipment is now designed by computer and computer software. For me the purity of golf is the removal from the modern world and phones and computers and The X Factor. Sure lads are using GPS now, I’ll hold out as long as I can, but you give in, in the end.

The technology is amazing, it enables you to just look at what is happing at the putter face and full stroke, if you are on a putting green the outcome has so many variables, it can be hard with a bad putt to establish the cause of this miss. This does it, basically after 10 putts you can see why or what your poor putt will be (On Average).
    Look, I knew what my bad putt was, but did not know if it was my arc, or putter head, or wrists twisting. Without the technology, there are also the benefits of getting somebody to look at your putting stroke who has studied the putting stroke.

Ah, sure the traditionalists (and perhaps me), would say, just go to a putting green for a week and do it yourself. That is so right and the hard way could be, the best way in the end ? I don’t know, but I have a smart phone now, I have a car that talks, I have email and reminders and wireless and a GPS watch.

My arc was ok, but wrists are closing the putter head, the club was coming back to ball 1.9 degrees closed, my aiming is perfect. With a bit of tinkering I was able to get this to just below the 1.3 degrees. This sounds ridiculous, but it is more balls going in the hole. A bit more practice and I hope to keep face open more - for longer.

The club I use does not help, offset on it. So for a person who needs to open clubface more I have the wrong club. I’ll stick with it and work first before jumping at changing a putter.

The last peak I’ve had was a month ago (80 - should have done it easily then), was using somebody else’s club and putter then. I think behind it all, I don’t like the lie of my putter (very flat). I’m not a person who is quick to change clubs, 2 sets in 20 years.

I’ve practiced the long game so much now, I think I’ve exhausted it, I could see signs off me over practicing the last week, a risk of playing myself out of form with the long game. I need to peak with my putting. So 25 % long game 75 % short game practice for a few weeks. I need to get the waves of performance in phase and nail this. I just seem to have been out of phase with my performance up to now. Ultrasound and waves this week – less science more practice.

a=d/f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bad week from 100 yrds in, wedges and putter gone poor again (lost 5+shots on green) it came to a head when I had 2 holes in a row in A1 position(110 yrds) after drive, but double bogey on both holes. Head dropped then.

I said, ok - time to get this putting sorted. Went to the Golf Lab. I knew I had problem pulling putts; this was bad and tended to get worse when the putt got shorter. I had got to a stage where, I could hardly practice my putting, because it caused me to tinker too much and confuse my putting stroke even more.

I love a bit of science, but putting and science seem like opposing forces. But, all my golf equipment is now designed by computer and computer software. For me the purity of golf is the removal from the modern world and phones and computers and The X Factor. Sure lads are using GPS now, I’ll hold out as long as I can, but you give in, in the end.

The technology is amazing, it enables you to just look at what is happing at the putter face and full stroke, if you are on a putting green the outcome has so many variables, it can be hard with a bad putt to establish the cause of this miss. This does it, basically after 10 putts you can see why or what your poor putt will be (On Average).
    Look, I knew what my bad putt was, but did not know if it was my arc, or putter head, or wrists twisting. Without the technology, there are also the benefits of getting somebody to look at your putting stroke who has studied the putting stroke.

Ah, sure the traditionalists (and perhaps me), would say, just go to a putting green for a week and do it yourself. That is so right and the hard way could be, the best way in the end ? I don’t know, but I have a smart phone now, I have a car that talks, I have email and reminders and wireless and a GPS watch.

My arc was ok, but wrists are closing the putter head, the club was coming back to ball 1.9 degrees closed, my aiming is perfect. With a bit of tinkering I was able to get this to just below the 1.3 degrees. This sounds ridiculous, but it is more balls going in the hole. A bit more practice and I hope to keep face open more - for longer.

The club I use does not help, offset on it. So for a person who needs to open clubface more I have the wrong club. I’ll stick with it and work first before jumping at changing a putter.

The last peak I’ve had was a month ago (80 - should have done it easily then), was using somebody else’s club and putter then. I think behind it all, I don’t like the lie of my putter (very flat). I’m not a person who is quick to change clubs, 2 sets in 20 years.

I’ve practiced the long game so much now, I think I’ve exhausted it, I could see signs off me over practicing the last week, a risk of playing myself out of form with the long game. I need to peak with my putting. So 25 % long game 75 % short game practice for a few weeks. I need to get the waves of performance in phase and nail this. I just seem to have been out of phase with my performance up to now. Ultrasound and waves this week – less science more practice.

a=d/f

Sure didn't I tell u to try out the golf lab months ago :p

Just finished reading "dream on" by john Richardson. It draws a lot of parallels with your challenge. He set himself a challenge of playing a level par round within a single year. His control round was a 103 at the start.

He started with a similar attitude to yourself. Plenty of range time grooving a good swing, but saw the biggest dividends pay towards the end with a lot if work on short game & mental game work.

I think you'd enjoy it, its a short read which I found a great spur to work on your game

Sure didn't I tell u to try out the golf lab months ago :p

Just finished reading "dream on" by john Richardson. It draws a lot of parallels with your challenge. He set himself a challenge of playing a level par round within a single year. His control round was a 103 at the start.

He started with a similar attitude to yourself. Plenty of range time grooving a good swing, but saw the biggest dividends pay towards the end with a lot if work on short game & mental game work.

I think you'd enjoy it, its a short read which I found a great spur to work on your game

Will do , thanks.

You did, thanks.

What a waste of time , the wrong swing at driving ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will do , thanks.

You did, thanks.

What a waste of time , the wrong swing at driving ranges.

I don't think that range time is a waste to be honest. You're working the right muscles and as they say, practice makes perfect.

I suppose you could say spending time on the range working on something incorrect is not productive though.

I say fair play to you though. You've applied yourself to a challenge and stuck with it. Maybe it is a case of too much focus on the end result taking away from your focus on the course. I'm guilty of it a lot myself. Standing on the 10th tee at 2/3 over and staring to think of what I need to do on the remaining 9 holes to break 80, rather than just concentrating on the next shot.

Its definitely easier said than done though.

I think your change of tack moving to focus on the short game & putting will hopefully give you the edge to get this thing over the line!!!

Closest I've managed this year is an 81, so I'm not one to be judging or offering advise really at the end of the day. I made the rookie mistake of making swing changes in April, the complete wrong time of the year to be working on it, which didn't help. Only started to see real progress from September to be honest.

I'm hoping you do it this year, theres still time to go, so try keep the enthusiasm up and we'll hopefully see that golden post in the next couple of weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I say fair play to you though. You've applied yourself to a challenge and stuck with it. Maybe it is a case of too much focus on the end result taking away from your focus on the course. I'm guilty of it a lot myself. Standing on the 10th tee at 2/3 over and staring to think of what I need to do on the remaining 9 holes to break 80, rather than just concentrating on the next shot.

I am in a different category trying to break 90 and I can safely say that I have totally messed up rounds thinking about my score standing on the 10th, namely this round a couple of weeks back:

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/260-13297885-13298157

Actually got to me on the 9th when I was 45 yards to the pin from the left rough after my drive, ended up taking 6 there and then stood on the 10th tee saying to myself "I have taken 43 to here so 46 back and I break 90"

Head totally wrecked for the rest of the round along some bad luck & a nightmare finish, I was lucky to break 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

ssbob,

The best way to break 90 is to keep it simple and relax! Remember that 89 is typically +17 on most courses. This means that if you are consistently scoring bogies you will do it easily given some time. To score bogies consistently I would suggest 'cowardly golf'- don't take any chances, never try and reach par 5s (or even the longer par 4s) in two shots, if you have hazards in play don't be afraid to lay up, commit to your pitching (too often higher handicap golfers quit on the downswing or lift their head= duffed chip). Same goes for the putting- concentrate on distance control if most holes are two putted you'll be laughing.

You'll break 90 in no time!

I don't think that range time is a waste to be honest. You're working the right muscles and as they say, practice makes perfect.

I suppose you could say spending time on the range working on something incorrect is not productive though.

I think your change of tack moving to focus on the short game & putting will hopefully give you the edge to get this thing over the line!!!

Closest I've managed this year is an 81, so I'm not one to be judging or offering advise really at the end of the day. I made the rookie mistake of making swing changes in April, the complete wrong time of the year to be working on it, which didn't help. Only started to see real progress from September to be honest.

I'm hoping you do it this year, theres still time to go, so try keep the enthusiasm up and we'll hopefully see that golden post in the next couple of weeks!!!

Thanks,

I did the same (changing around april).

It meant that I came good near the very end of summer / september - would agree that the best time to change swing is from now to March.

No golf in evenings, soft ground etc, things are harder now, I'm going to stick with Links for the moment.

Thanks for the support and help all.

I'm practicing guitar now - bad sign (lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

Thanks,

I did the same (changing around april).

It meant that I came good near the very end of summer / september - would agree that the best time to change swing is from now to March.

No golf in evenings, soft ground etc, things are harder now, I'm going to stick with Links for the moment.

Thanks for the support and help all.

I'm practicing guitar now - bad sign (lol).

I should have read your other recent comments before posting, but do you mean by links golf? If seaside links as opposed to parkland small word of caution from someone who plays links as my home course. It's a lot more head wrecking/harder than parkland. I find even on courses that I've never played before I'm scoring consistently in the mid 30's now when I'm playing parkland. By that I mean that IMO my home course where I play most of my golf is harder to score on than your average inland course which kinda leaves you looking like a bandito.

That would leave it tougher to reach the afore mentioned 79.
    Could be bs but I think I'm seeing something in it.

Btw I prefer links, it forces you to carve the ball more and see shots that aren't always obvious. The pin positions can dramatically change how the course plays too. It keeps you on your toes. Not so much with the parkland from what I've seen.

• Advertisement

Yes seaside links -love it. That is my main type of golf - 75 %.

I agree it is harder. I don't like playing parkland courses in winter. This is only my 2nd real winter of golf in my life.

So Corballis

St Annes

The Links Portmarnock

The Island(maybe 2 or 3 times)

About once a week.

I've no problem hitting irons off tees , much improved on that front and more disciplined on par 5s, (thanks to the likes of GreeBo etc.) it kills me some times , but that's what it takes.

Out in the morning on the east coast 10 m/s wind, should be a bit of fun. But you get still days in the winter too.

I've already noticed the 56 deg become a 52 deg and the 9 become an 8 in the cooler air, it is getting harder, no doubt.

I agree it is harder on the courses I'm playing (a score of 8 or 9 is in the rough), but I said that a good bit back, wanted it to be a course I like.

Was never interested in going to an easy short parkland and hitting a 5 iron and wedge around and scoring 79.

But, if this goes on much longer, I'll be looking for an easier course - but don't want to give up yet. (just yet).
    How am I looking like bandito ? I wish, 83, 86, 83,last 3 rounds, looking ****edo

Feck it FTP, I meant myself looking like the bandito.
    I'm off 23 ATM easy to come across that way.
    I'm worse than you but my problem is having a score in comps, my lowest is 92 in comps but have had an 82 last month and this eve I went +3 gross through 10.
    But have only had 2cuts all year incl a 2nd and 5th.

m r c wrote: »
    Feck it FTP, I meant myself looking like the bandito.
    I'm off 23 ATM easy to come across that way.
    I'm worse than you but my problem is having a score in comps, my lowest is 92 in comps but have had an 82 last month and this eve I went +3 gross through 10.
    But have only had 2cuts all year incl a 2nd and 5th.

Sorry, picked that up wrong:confused:

That is mental , 82 off 23 is amazing. It means your game is only going to go one way. You know you can do it - as a pro said to me - lets do this bloody thing :p. If you can play like that off 23, you need to look at your shot choices on certain holes, you know the holes you **** up, hit a 6 iron on them - (or your safe club)

I do that now and for the first time in my life will play for a bogey - i always (most of the time) get one on them and may even get up and down for par.

Also on certain holes middle of the green , considering your fade or draw or what flight your ball will go on or the wind or how far you hit your last wedge - sorry you know all this - you got a bloody 82 fair play any tips (:D)

Play as basic golf as possible.

Play fully relaxed.

Accept you will have bad days.

All are mind related :-)

That's how I see the game, my natural shot shape is fade/slice. I spent way too long at the driving range hitting draws and it was a total waste of time IMHO. I can(when only hitting reasonably well) place my fade out on the course but if I go to play a draw its a little more random, ergo not worth it.

Btw I'm talking off the tee stuff there because that's where I was losing all my shots. I have played pitch and putt very close to par on occasion.

My tips are all mind related because that's the stuff I had to/have to work on. I now know I have a good enough game to play on a given day single digit golf, I need to bring that confidence to some competitions.

From reading through some of your posts there fdp, I think you should be more fearless putting. Fear is a bast**d in golf. When we get afraid we tense up and you can't move in a fluid way when tense. It's the same with the big stick. Sometimes we don't know when we are afraid either it can feel a lot like nervous energy.

Jut to show what you get from SamPutt Lab.

My Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Jut to show what you get from SamPutt Lab.

My Report.

That's detailed isn't it?

Politics and sports should never mix, when you drive through the gated access to part of the Irish coast line, the brain goes on a race. Golf is about relaxing for me, but even the locals near Old Head, were telling me, that "there were even staff against the place, when it was first being developed, it would take away access to the walk on the cliffs".

It gets even more complex and a bit mind boggling, when you look at the names on the founding member’s board, there are very few non Americans on the list.

I was playing with a couple of close friends and the full spectrum of centre, centre right and centre left politics were in my group. The age old adage of us tending to shift right toward your forties remains true for our group. One of the lads said “this is amazing, a great example of capitalism”, the other “amazing, but a ****ing disgrace there is no walk or picnic benches for the public on the cliff walk”, retort back “ they wouldn’t come out here because there is no bus”. (humour can be un-pc and ill-timed).

The first thing that hits you is the layout- the carpark and club house and first tee. Well designed and very American to arrive and drop your bag etc.Most Irish, just don’t or can’t do that sort of stuff, there is always an underlying awkwardness to it.

Play was delayed due to rain, so we sat in the bar and had a coffee, The view is just unbelievable, it is very nice to be indoors looking at the sea and the disturbed rough Atlantic. “This is ****ing unbelievable”. Spot the Paddies get the “Cuss Cup”.

Overall I loved it , it is just an unfamiliar experience, if you are use to rolling up to the likes of Balbriggan or Enniscrone and nothing is a big deal. But look, you go with the experience, it is different, there is a person to do anything for you if you want it.

So off we went, an hour late, the tee boxes are amazing (playing whites), very windy but manageable. Great drives from all and away, can be very intimidating with other groups watching, not even a warm up. So good par to start. The fun starts at 2, you know that this is something different and actually scary. The white tees are such a different course to the blues and blacks, would be very hard from Blacks. I hit irons from a good few of the whites because the landing zones for some drives are just daft narrow. It leaves you hitting mid to long irons into narrow green openings.

The wind across the cliffs creates it’s own aerodynamics and eddy currents, plenty of 5 irons for me. The experience I have of links courses helped, just being able to see the way the land rolls and the way the ball will travel in wind. For me it was a day of feel, no even 100 yrd markers, a bit of a let down for some i’d say, but it was a very varied round of golf.

Some of the art is for art sake, obelisks and monoliths and (I do want to say fake) dolmens seem out of place, the art is the live free to air Impressionism going on in the background. Such views and horizons, the dramatic clouds added to it. The cliffs are up there with anything I have seen, it is the fact you are walking on the edge adds to the drama and views.

The golf was ticking away nicely, still working on new putting stroke and short game – but the long game was very good. Only 3 bad long shots all day, a bad long shot at old head in wind means a 6 or 7 most times. I pared all the par 5s easily , had a good chance for birdie on all of them – I know, not getting any tells a tale of my game still, but see real hope now for the putting – more work needed. Hit a drive and a 6 iron to 20 yrds short of 17(575 yrds) , so that shows you how much the ball can move on ground and in the air there. Still only a 5, poor really. But , I’m sticking at it.

The cliff holes are really not describable, nor can they be visualised without being there – It was not a serious game, so played 18 from the blacks for the experience. Cleared everything - but the wind carried a fade right and I made a balls of it. There is a walk along 7 and 8, that I don’t think I have ever seen anything like it, the cliffs and caves and colour of the sea will be engrained in my mind for ever, it was a colour of emerald that I did not know could exist in Irish water. At that moment there was nothing, just silence in my mind, no people or problems or golf or politics or economic disaster or incompetence or back handers or hatred or crime or loss.

Overall it is amazing, you don’t really know how they did it, how much sand and soil was moved, maybe some things should be ignored and just enjoyed. It just seems strange that people from America would join a golf club in Ireland to play it only 3 or 4 times a year. It seems like a concept from an era and a global economy that in hindsight looks daft. I had a chat with a few green keepers on the way round, facing a long cold winter on a 3 day week, most likely on or near min wage. They work on land with great skill and determination to create a playground for grown men.

Capitalism and the American dream is the ideal we were raised with, everything is possible, with enough will power, effort and money. But is that the truth, is there a element, that is just a roll of the dice. Where you were born, the time you were born, your parents, your friends, you at the right place at the right time.

3 hours later, I came off the M50, kids in tracksuits with cans ready for the madness of Halloween to kick off. Kids that don’t have the opportunities and choices of a generation that preceded them. They are growing up, told that it is a hopeless situation. We have an extraordinary country with great people, great workers and great imagination. We just need to be able to see again.

I think the next time, I am in the moment of total frustration with my home, I will think about that emerald sea on the cliffs.

Ended with 86.

Nice :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ended with 86. [/FONT]

86 on a windy day at the Old Head is some shooting!!

Clubhouse is savage alright. I remember when we played, we got there early and had breakfast. The waiter came over and asked us what would we like. I asked "what are you serving?" and he replied "everything" :cool:

• Advertisement

Nothing you can say except 41 putts - a day like that, you should not think too much about it, awful on the greens . But the rest of the game is A2.

Need to see what is up with the putting (again) , hit great Irons and drives .
    It is like I'm a single figure golfer till I get on the green.

Combination of things , changing putting stroke, shorter putter length, bad greens, my head gone. Missed a practice session due to work and then a frozen green at GUI Maynooth.

So - will go back out again in morning. It would not be possible to putt like that no matter what I did. Spent 1 hour after at putting green.

Great day for golf , wind picked up, a low sun in the sky. Wind burn and winter socks, a red head.

Going out to buy a putting mat and a new head.

Advertisement