Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Nothing you can say except 41 putts

Ouch, I feel your pain. Would it be possible that you had more GIRs than normal? If so, then you may have had many longer-than-normal first putts which resulted in 3 putts.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lorie , it was unusual , I was hitting irons great but was into a headwind or downwind and leaving myself with very long putts - the 3 puts I made were from very far away, so you are right. The course I was playing can be quite penal if you are on the wrong level – the greens are very tight and poor surface on parts, so pace judgement can be hard and in wind more difficult.

But – there is no excusing that sort of carry on. I went out to get a putting mat. In the shop the head was in a spin looking at all the technology on putters now – all a load of bull. The young lad in the shop was telling me all about grove technology. I was laughing, asking him did he ever see Seve, or Olazabal or Nickalus - they didn’t have any of this grove crap and as for a white putters. :rolleyes:

The mats in shops are gas, you can putt everything on them. I was puttting away and was nice to have a 33 “ putter length , just feels right. One particular putter was sitting perfectly for me and felt great. I have lost confidence in the 2 Ball – have it for 6 – 7 years and went off it a while back. This was compounded when I played with a blade for a week in Portugal and felt great.

I asked him what the hell the white was all about, it was me sort of slagging, “Is it for the young lads to stick out”. He said no it is retinal technology – I’m laughing to myself. Golfers are such suckers.

This is what a certain Dr.Hitzeman, who is a past president of the Indiana Optometric Association and a past chairman of the American Optometric Association’s Sports Vision Section had to say : (The bad Science bit)

“That high contrast maximizes stimulation to the retina and highlights the head’s shape and features. The contrast would be lower if the putter were black or gray because these colours are closer in luminance to the colour of the putting green than white. White creates the biggest difference in luminance, hence maximizing contrast and promoting focus” . :eek::rolleyes:

I’m there, “who the hell would buy into that?”

So as I’m walking out of the shop with my brand new Tour Ghost White Blade – I’m just laughing at myself. :(:mad::o:P:D

It was my birthday recently and I always get myself a present. So this is the birth of a new putting era. I considered going into the DIY shop and getting black spray paint. What a spa.(lol).

Undoubtedly the new putter placebo will kick in, I’ll think I’m a great putter now. One thing is for sure, it would be hard to repeat today. We will see how it goes, middle aged man with a white putter coming your way. I’ll take any placebo to get this across the line. “Ghost” – what a stupid name. (lol). I hope it does not come back to haunt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

...Going out to buy a putting mat and a new head.

Try the Boomerang putting device and mat. I find it great and really like its simplicity - no batteries required !!

Kace wrote: »
    Try the Boomerang putting device and mat. I find it great and really like its simplicity - no batteries required !!

Have it, divorce looks on - (lol)

Can you miss on that mat stuff, or is it this great new putter ;)

Birthday week - I can get away with murder this week. Pub after practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

You will hole lots of putts on the mat cos you're relaxed, but the more 6 footers you hole the more confidence it brings. I stand over 6 footers (straight ones !) and remind myself it's just the same as the ones you were holing last night on the mat. I use that memory to try to get the same relaxed stroke - like it doesn't matter. I think Rotella is into putting like it doesn't matter. Ever noticed how in a friendly game when a putt is conceded from 3 feet we can knock them in backwards after they're conceded ! No pressure

• Advertisement

IanPoulter wrote: »
    You will hole lots of putts on the mat cos you're relaxed, but the more 6 footers you hole the more confidence it brings. I stand over 6 footers (straight ones !) and remind myself it's just the same as the ones you were holing last night on the mat. I use that memory to try to get the same relaxed stroke - like it doesn't matter. I think Rotella is into putting like it doesn't matter. Ever noticed how in a friendly game when a putt is conceded from 3 feet we can knock them in backwards after they're conceded ! No pressure

Yes - very good.

Maybe a new putter will help me give me a new mental approach too. We will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Yes - very good.

Maybe a new putter will help me give me a new mental approach too. We will see.

Fixed P, I was up at Carton last Sat for practice when green out the front was frozen. My home course comp was called off earlier. Suspect it was the same day you were there.

Then I went to Airside McGuirks, tried out the taylormade da 12 ghost. Liked it a lot. Bought it. Had enough of my old 2 ball.

After reading ur post, I am now trying to convince myself that I am not sub consciously stalking you or attempting to steal your identity.

(If you too drive a Ferrari and sleep with many beautiful women, that would just take the biscuit).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fixed P.......... I am not sub consciously stalking you or attempting to steal your identity.

You'd need to get his identity right first :)

It's Fix De(the) Pitchmark not Fixed Pitchmark....
    I only realised it myself of late, my brain can't get around it though.

Fixed P, I was up at Carton last Sat for practice when green out the front was frozen. My home course comp was called off earlier. Suspect it was the same day you were there.

Then I went to Airside McGuirks, tried out the taylormade da 12 ghost. Liked it a lot. Bought it. Had enough of my old 2 ball.

After reading ur post, I am now trying to convince myself that I am not sub consciously stalking you or attempting to steal your identity.

(If you too drive a Ferrari and sleep with many beautiful women, that would just take the biscuit).

Seve's - the Parnel Park thing did freak me out a bit. ;)

I've learned the hard way, that social media and pints is not the way to go. So the week of my birthday, this is a no go area.

I think it was me - you saw there ;). I was the fat bloke talking too much - ok end of that.

I was in Carton House and looking at the place, going - Jesus Christ this whole place is mental - as in - as bad as Old Head. These were not Americans, these were Irish People talking a language that was sort of unknown to me. I ordered a Monty Burger - this is my low (Blur).

While I was there, I hope it was not you, but some bloke had a belly putter. I was looking at him thinking - is he pro - I don't know - he practiced his putting and then put the 3 balls back in the original sleeve. I was just there - I could never do that and if I did, I'm going back to pub pool.

All joking aside - that 2 ball was when I was young, looking at Padraig - Jesus I love Padraig, but he sent me down the wrong path with that yolk-
    Did anybody truly understand how to move their eyes to two moving targets - WTF. I've played pool and snooker - logic says aim at one thing, not 2 balls moving - sorry, hindsight over.

On the car and women front - I've done ok, "many women" is like a 2 ball - seems great at the time and 7 years can be wasted on it, but a simple blade and true love, is all that is needed.

a simple blade and true love, is all that is needed.

None of your fancy stuff, this is my classy lady!

post-98611-1271869862537_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

ajcurry123 wrote: »

That is class aj - just, such a contrast to the musical I was at - "Green Day".
    Such a class piece of craft against the modernization of bloody Taylor Made - I'm gone.

This is not golf , but sometimes the serenity of golf, is an escape from the reality of life.

This is the song for my Putting Rebirth - Perhaps it is just a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

looking at Padraig - Jesus I love Padraig

This is particularly freaky now - I've just written a book on Padraig Harrington. Not a joke! (Not allowed advertise it here so don't ask me if it's any good. I think, legally, I'm allowed say it's crap!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

metal-x-8-blade-putter-2012.jpg

This is my little beauty ... got it during the Summer. Replaced my old Wilson blade, isn't she lovely :D

Sorry for the unexpected detour,

That Green Day musical (I'm not joking), would cause the most sensible of individual to go mental. It would even cause Padraig to do a Movember :eek::D

This whole blade thing seems to be a new world - (after 43 puts later today - in the bin, I'm so sorry 2 ball :p)

S's3I - fair play on book, all I need is a good editor ;):rolleyes: :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Have to say since moving to the 2-ball earlier this year my putting has improved from nearly 39putts on average to 36.5putts since I moved and in my last 10 rounds I have averaged 35putts a round. I feel really confident over those 5footers but still am trying to get used to putting the lag putts with it.

ssbob wrote: »
    Have to say since moving to the 2-ball earlier this year my putting has improved from nearly 39putts on average to 36.5putts since I moved and in my last 10 rounds I have averaged 35putts a round. I feel really confident over those 5footers but still am trying to get used to putting the lag putts with it.

That's the biggest problem I had with mine. It was dead to hit so I couldn't get the pace right on the longer putts.

Solution: use 2 putters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Loire wrote: »
    Solution: use 2 putters :D

Another idea would be to use 1 putter with 2 heads, one at either end, blade on one side, 2 ball on the other!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This thread is mad :):):)

ssbob wrote: »
    Another idea would be to use 1 putter with 2 heads, one at either end, blade on one side, 2 ball on the other!:D

Another idea would be to make the 2-ball bit detachable.

"Sorry for the hold-up guys, I'm just removing my balls" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

All time favourite thread. Its absolutely quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Nice carpet A, bet you use a dyson
    (off topic I know but couldn't resist)

Fine cutlery indeed.

The missus would love if that was our carpet... but i took that image from the web.
    She's a beaut (putter) alright.

Harvey Pennick "red river" she be called

The missus would love if that was our carpet... but i took that image from the web.
    She's a beaut (putter) alright.

Harvey Pennick "red river" she be called
    Is it sterling silver? Would you sell her?

Is it sterling silver? Would you sell her?

Haven't a clue re sterling silver Chief, doubt it though.
    You missed out over the summer, there was one on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/1902325

And just to make you feel worse, there's not a hope in hell I'd sell :)

Haven't a clue re sterling silver Chief, doubt it though.
    You missed out over the summer, there was one on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/1902325

And just to make you feel worse, there's not a hope in hell I'd sell :)
    Ah I know its not Sterling Silver haha. It just looks like something that should be! Im a sucker for the modern equip but every so often i see something like that and want it. Think id have me name engraved on the sole and all!!

Ah I know its not Sterling Silver haha. It just looks like something that should be! Im a sucker for the modern equip but every so often i see something like that and want it. Think id have me name engraved on the sole and all!!

I haven't a clue about price of SS, but didn't think it'd be sold in putter form for €40 ;)

I wouldn't sell it for 4 times that...true love :)

scubapro wrote: »
    Nice carpet A, bet you use a dyson
    (off topic I know but couldn't resist)

Off topic here ? - I don't know what the topic is at this stage :confused:

Comedic crazy random monologues - how is your carpet and balls .

And then it was winter – cold on the east coast. The sky was amazing today, all the shades of white you could dream of, even the white of my putter was in the sky. The sun trying as hard as possible to force a band of light or “half light” across the city. The cranes of Dublin Port, a clear contrast to the beauty of the Dublin Mountains. A coldness that defied thermodynamics, 10 degress - but not feeling like 10 degrees.

So off to the putting green, even I could not go straight out with a brand new putter – I’m not that bad. Very busy in St Anne’s. A lad said to me Angela Merkel would not be happy with this place so full on a Friday in Ireland. The great Irish wit, but perhaps now over used. Laughing is on hold in this country.

The last desperate throws and thrashes of the fading light. Men mostly middle aged, I guess, real golfers at this time of year – most sensible people have gone into hibernation at this stage. There were good golfers on the course, I had plenty of time to watch, it being so slow. Great swings and good release and good winter gear – the things, I did not understand once.

I admired watching and listen to good shots, you know the sound now –the wind causing that unique flight of a great mid iron – holding the ball in the air longer, almost defying the laws of physics – when in reality all the ball is doing is observing those exact laws.

The wettest, I have ever seen a links, a steep or fat shot now punished badly, minor liveable flaws in you swing, are now naked to the soft ground.

What a game, what a live. You see some people frustrated with the game –almost forgetting, what do they do this for ? – I worry sometimes thinking, are you doing too much of a good thing. What does this mean in the end – chairs and plaques on the course for only a selected few – we all end up in the one hole.

The putting was much improved – but statistics and science require repeatability. I’ll hold off on inconclusive impulsive conclusions (for once:o). The rest of the game was a little off – I was a bit tired and emotional, a long week with too much on.

The week pull / hook came back a little today, don’t know if I should worry about it, but was a slow day out there, was thinking do I need a bit more work on swing. These are dangerous thoughts.

The sun eventually lost its battle, too far away, too weak. I’m hoping I win mine. The Sun will rise and get another go – I will too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

Your life (sub 80) is over for another season. It's winter golf now so the tees are a bit forward and there's placing everywhere. My first sub 80 was 78 in winter but to me it didn't count. Have gone on to 9 or 10 sub 80's now. No harm in breaking 80 in the winter to get the monkey off and it will probably come easier in the summer if you achieve it in winter. To achieve your goal you'll have to be unaware of your score for most of the round although you'll be aware that you're playing well

Advertisement