Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree. I'm heading to bed now and ill say a prayer for your sub 80 this winter.

Ill even get the missus to do it too.

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss - but I will take your prayer. If you are taking the piss , have a prayer for yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss - but I will take your prayer. If you are taking the piss , have a prayer for yourself. ;)

I'm not taking the piss :)

I genuinely would love you to do it. I remember the feeling the first time I did it. I have the card stuck up on the fridge along with my other milestone cards.

I'm not taking the piss :)

I genuinely would love you to do it. I remember the feeling the first time I did it. I have the card stuck up on the fridge along with my other milestone cards.

That is cool it is on the fridge, you were like ice that day, was it cold out, when you got it done did the lights turn off. Was it even frozen that winter and did you have an ice pop after.

Sorry man - long week - all bad puns used here already.

ForeRight

You won't believe this, the fridge broke last night. I'm not joking.

ForeRight

You won't believe this, the fridge broke last night. I'm not joking.

Get to the course quick!!!
    It's a sign.

• Advertisement

Went to a pro yesterday for a quick NCT. I didn’t want a full change of swing, I’m playing ok. But something had just drifted in. I felt uncomfortable over the ball, the ball flight was low, shooting left.

I was nervous about this, do you want to risk a big change? Anyway, a total reiteration of the need to do this every 3 or 4 months. I would always have prided myself on my grip and alignment, but the pro seen straight away that I had fallen back onto my heels, I was too close to the ball, the gap between my hands and legs had narrowed. My right hand had gone a tiny bit weak.

So that all shows the swing is still, no where near perfect. But, I was getting away with it with the irons. I know people might think I’m mad worrying about these minor details. But I was not enjoying the outcome of my 6 irons and down. This was even more problematic on the driver. I was getting the ball around the park, scoring ok. But somewhat unpredictable , flight and direction.

I don’t intend some sort of dramatic remodel. Just need to remind myself of the basics. I had lost what they call that athletic position, ready to hit. I was sort of crouched and this was restricting a good shoulder turn. All this had resulted in tension everywhere.

So, felt good after a few shots. I know I need a good few sessions now working on everything – it can be hard to take it all in at once.

So a positive outcome and a reminder that 30 euro on a quick lesson can safe you hundreds of euro on wasted balls.

The putting feels good now, the fridge is fixed and the posture is acknowledged as wrong.

Jesus, why didn’t I just do this years ago and just ask for help. I did fix the fridge myself but. I understand thermodynamics a bit more than golf swings.

Flashback

I was standing in a queue of young lads with my Dad, looking for autographs. Montgomerie was on his way for the photo shoot after winning a car for a hole in one. It was amazing to even see a brand new Volvo. Montgomerie the grumpiest head you have ever seen on anyone, takes the keys form the PR. guy. He totally ignored everybody looking for an autograph. I looked at my Dad, he was furious. A working class man who had never even had a car.

Anyway, enough of an Angel’s Ashes flashback – As I was driving through The Carton Demesne. I was looking at the vastness of the place. The last time I was at the course there was with my Dad again, a called off day at The Irish Open - due to wind. It is an astonishing windy place considering how far inland it is. It was nice to get a great welcome form the girl in the pro shop, she is a credit to the place and the way customer service should be.

So a long walk to the first and away. The day that was in it, would have been better spent at a range. A bit too soon when working on tweaks in the swing to hit an apparent animal of The Monty. The course was somewhat thinned or tamed by the fact I was told to play the green tee boxes. Also, winter rules were in effect. I was not out to try break 80 today , so didn’t bother me particularly with me in tweak mode.

I started with a 3 putt, same old. But in fairness the green was 39 yards long. That is 2 to 3 clubs. If you look at the course guide , this is replicated throughout the course. So, I’m not saying I’m that good now, but it is a course, you must have pin position marked, they didn’t have them in clubhouse these days.

Bogey , and Bogey again, +3 standing at 4. Then my tweaking paid off and felt really good over the ball – Birdie, Par, Par, Par, Par, Birdie. Best 6 holes of the year. I was standing on the 10th going - should have played the bloody whites. I was playing so well I would have scored well. With placing and green tee boxes, is this a good score ? I don’t know , but I was loving it. I hardly needed the placing , but very wet just off fairways there.

On 10, I had a bit of a brain freeze. I just couldn’t see a shot, I was between a Driver and a 5 iron and doubted myself. I know playing the greens is a big advantage , but on this hole it seemed to place me in between two exact shots. I should have stood back and hit a very safe shot to 220 yrds. But feeling good went for a big one and disaster struck. This started a disastrous sequence, was tense, was doubting my new stance, my back swing. Anyway real choke.

So funny day . 37 Strokes on the front 46 strokes on the back. The game sort of fell apart. I felt like I should have been at the range on the back nine. Ended up in the rough a good bit and the putting dropped off.

So 83 strokes total (14 putts front, 19 putts back = total 33 putts).

I got it together for 17 and 18 and loved the last hole. It is a stunning estate. I think I love the course, but it is hard to judge it in the winter. The good news is the putter was on fire on the front. The wedges were great and the bunker shots were sublime.

The course is a big big idea by a big person. It was dreamt up in a time that had little or no boundaries. The bunkers are near ridiculous and impossible to maintain or keep raked properly. The course is suffering from heavy play or lack of staff. The number of divots not replaced is terrible. I counted over 50 at one location.

It is a long day to head out that way and a long walk. Even the green tees are 6365 yrds long. Some long walks between tees. I’d say at a weekend there, it is a long slog. The greens are majestic and such a help putting compared to where I normally go.

I got home and my little girl gave me a big hug, it was much needed. Overall, a sign that I can turn things around and with a bit more work, who knows? I’ll get back comfortable with new stance/posture and understand takeaway a bit more. I’ll head out and start all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FreeTime

Everytime I open this thread I think maybe, just maybe, he's done it :cool:.

Anyway, I think you need to give yourself a new target - break 78, and you'll probably break 80 straight away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

You actually stood and counted 50 divots, hmm taking your time were you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭bustercherry

scubapro wrote: »
    You actually stood and counted 50 divots, hmm taking your time were you

I was gonna say the same. Certainly not concerning himself about slow play.

• Advertisement

I was gonna say the same. Certainly not concerning himself about slow play.

:D

You can walk and count lads, it was in a 15 sq yard area on 5 at the 135 yrd + marker. Also you can count 50 things quicker than 50 seconds ;). Anyway , I was playing so well at that stage a cup of tea was in order.

The back nine, that was slow play bleeding hacker.

:D

You can walk and count lads, it was in a 15 sq yard area on 5 at the 135 yrd + marker. Also you can count 50 things quicker than 50 seconds ;). Anyway , I was playing so well at that stage a cup of tea was in order.

The back nine, that was slow play bleeding hacker.
    Fix I have to take issue with you. Can you please for the love of god stop calling yourself a hacker, YOU ARE NOT OK, if you can shoot 83 on the Montgomery you are not a hacker, you have constantly been saying this the past year even though you have been shooting in the low 80's , reality check... You are not a hacker... You are a high single or low Double figure handicapper, NOT A HACKER. In my mind you do us hackers a disservice, talk about inferiority complex, you shoot 83 and I shoot 95 on the same course and you class yourself in the same league. If I could shoot 83 on the Montgomery I would be thinking I'm lethal. End of rant.

Fix I have to take issue with you. Can you please for the love of god stop calling yourself a hacker, YOU ARE NOT OK, if you can shoot 83 on the Montgomery you are not a hacker, you have constantly been saying this the past year even though you have been shooting in the low 80's , reality check... You are not a hacker... You are a high single or low Double figure handicapper, NOT A HACKER. In my mind you do us hackers a disservice, talk about inferiority complex, you shoot 83 and I shoot 95 on the same course and you class yourself in the same league. If I could shoot 83 on the Montgomery I would be thinking I'm lethal. End of rant.

Can you fix fridges or wha????

"You've got to fight for your right" "to Haaaaaack".

Hacker is a term of endearment and we all are hackers at times. I couldn't hit a fairway on the back nine, I mean real bad hook and a slice, a couple of topped shots - Trust me I have real potential.

You saying I was slow, would be like calling a hacker a hacker , I hate slow play.

So , I'll take it on board.

Can you fix fridges or wha????

Whatever about golf, I'm no hacker at fixing fridges.

Q= UA(delta T)

"You've got to fight for your right" "to Haaaaaack".

Hacker is a term of endearment and we all are hackers at times. I couldn't hit a fairway on the back nine, I mean real bad hook and a slice, a couple of topped shots - Trust me I have real potential.

You saying I was slow, would be like calling a hacker a hacker , I hate slow play.

So , I'll take it on board.
    A couple of topped shots! Sure if you had of kept your head down you might of broke 80:D

A couple of topped shots! Sure if you had of kept your head down you might of broke 80:D

Love it.

Actually trying to pick head up a bit on backswing for full shoulder turn. That got me out of bad patch with great drive at 16.
    Jesus thank God the football days are over after that ****e match. The austerity match.

Big day Thursday.

My dad is 80. Golf in morning, trad in the evening.
    Great weather and a still day ahead. Back to my coast- but I will dream about those greens.

I will arise and go now ........

Thanks all for the push.

Big day Thursday.

My dad is 80.

Everyone in your family struggling for a sub 80 this week so ;)

Everyone in your family struggling for a sub 80 this week so ;)

Class. Thanks for that he will laugh at that one. He is my carpet putting coach and told me to drop the 2 ball. He helps me to this day.

He did boxing as a young lad , I swear he could have punched Monty in story above. He is a poet not a fighter. But the ignorance of Monty infuriated him. To this day maybe 20 years on? he has no time for him .

• Advertisement

Jaysus - That was 500 posts . 300 too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Jaysus - That was 500 posts . 300 too many.

Are you familiar with Stockholm Syndrome?
    Have a quick search if not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Best of luck tomorrow Fdp hope you do it , don't worry if you start with a few bogeys ! Plenty of holes to get it back, just let it happen.

Btw great score in Carton.......

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Are you familiar with Stockholm Syndrome?
    Have a quick search if not :)

aj - we all became aware of the Stockholm Syndrome, thanks to Deins O'Brien and Justice Moriarty.
    I know where you are coming from.

What if I can't do this - do we go into the good old Irish ideal - of a brilliant failure. I think, me giving up, would be a big step for me. But how can anybody give up, when they can go +1 for nine on a course they never played before.

Maybe I should lay off the thread for a while, is the thread self defeating.

Just get up and do the bloody thing and stop being such a pussy. I'll never be a low handicap player, I'm an overachiever.

Anyway - tomorrow is another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That was said in jest FDP, didn't mean to discourage. Keep at it.
    Someone suggested aiming for lower than 80... Think that might be a good thing to try. +1 for 9 proves its in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

My life, sub 80 (pages)

I love this thread and would be happy to see 180 pages, although FP may not

Absolutely beautiful on the east coast. Golf just seems a little bit easier again. I didn’t play great today , but old 6s are now 5s, old 8s are now 6s.

I can play way better than that too, just need to lay off the course for a while and work on set up. Bit of a swore elbow. The body and mind is saying lay off for a while.

Real potential now.

I’ll never forget that sun rising today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Absolutely beautiful on the east coast. Golf just seems a little bit easier again. I didn’t play great today , but old 6s are now 5s, old 8s are now 6s.

I can play way better than that too, just need to lay off the course for a while and work on set up. Bit of a swore elbow. The body and mind is saying lay off for a while.

Real potential now.

I’ll never forget that sun rising today.

Well done on improving the putting, you will have a day soon where you have 29/30 putts and that's the day you'll break that 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Absolutely beautiful on the east coast

Where did you play today? All this week has been perfect for links golf thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think you are more than likely going to end up on the wrong side of 80 with even one 6 on the card :eek: IMO you need to par all of the par 5s to have a decent chance - safety off the tee, 5 iron layup to about 80-100 yards and an easy wedge in...all day long. For the par 4s I'd make sure I'm safe off the tee and then either be on in regulation or just off. Some decent chipping & putting practice and you'll get up & down a few times too. There's 5 or 6 pars there already.

I also think you need to pick a particular course and focus on only playing this course. Have a clear strategy for each hole. How you play the last 6 holes will depend on where you are.

Spend 30 minutes a day hitting 3 footers on your new putting mat - It'll be nice to know that you won't have any 3 putts out there ;)

Good luck :cool:

Advertisement