Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Where did you play today? All this week has been perfect for links golf thus far.

St Anne's - great week for links. Course in great condition and no winter rules at all. Some tees well back. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Loire wrote: »
    I think you are more than likely going to end up on the wrong side of 80 with even one 6 on the card :eek: IMO you need to par all of the par 5s to have a decent chance - safety off the tee, 5 iron layup to about 80-100 yards and an easy wedge in...all day long. For the par 4s I'd make sure I'm safe off the tee and then either be on in regulation or just off. Some decent chipping & putting practice and you'll get up & down a few times too. There's 5 or 6 pars there already.

I also think you need to pick a particular course and focus on only playing this course. Have a clear strategy for each hole. How you play the last 6 holes will depend on where you are.

Spend 30 minutes a day hitting 3 footers on your new putting mat - It'll be nice to know that you won't have any 3 putts out there ;)

Good luck :cool:

You'll be able to get away with one DB but more than that and you're seriously up against it. For me 80 is all about removing Doubles. I had an 80 this year myself with one 6 - nothing else spectacular, just keeping the ball in play.

Fixed - from reading your submissions here, I have no doubt that you will achieve this, with little extra effort than what you are committed to putting in right now.

You have shot some scores this year in places where 80 odd scores are very very good shooting given conditions, e.g. Carton and Old Head. In my eyes and from personal experience on these tracks, anyone who can shoot those numbers in those courses will shoot some scores in the 70s on other courses.

I know that you're not looking to break 80 in Leopardstown but you will definitely do this, probably when you're not even trying so hard some time in the next 3-4 months (maybe much sooner).

I don't necessarily agree with those saying that Winter golf and placing etc. etc. makes it much easier for the sub-80 score - that isn't my experience, but come spring you will do it - and you won't need 2 more visits to the putting lab or 100 trips to the range either. It will come...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have just read the entire thread and its fantastic stuff.

I too am trying to break 80 although I have a few scores in the 60s on a par 62 course near where I live.

My best from yellows is 80 and from whites in the summer I shot 81 and 82 two tournaments in a row and got down to 10.2 thinking it was only a matter of time.....
    Alas I think 84 or 85 is my best since then and have last chance on Sunday on summer greens.

ronjo wrote: »

I too am trying to break 80 although I have a few scores in the 60s on a par 62 course near where I live.

My best from yellows is 80 and from whites in the summer I shot 81 and 82 two tournaments in a row and got down to 10.2 thinking it was only a matter of time.....
    Alas I think 84 or 85 is my best since then and have last chance on Sunday on summer greens.

ronjo - the entire thread (lol).
    I could have saved you time,

Near 90, got to 81 changed swing
    Got back to 82, changed swing
    Went back out to 85 +
    Putting panic , changed putting and putter back at 82.

Lots of unnecessary drama and bull. Procrastination and a meeting of a pro and a broken fridge. Every provence covered in our great little country looking for the answer to no question, to something that is inside. :):rolleyes:;):(:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Man that must have taken you a while!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Kace wrote: »
    You'll be able to get away with one DB but more than that and you're seriously up against it. For me 80 is all about removing Doubles. I had an 80 this year myself with one 6 - nothing else spectacular, just keeping the ball in play.

Fixed - from reading your submissions here, I have no doubt that you will achieve this, with little extra effort than what you are committed to putting in right now.

You have shot some scores this year in places where 80 odd scores are very very good shooting given conditions, e.g. Carton and Old Head. In my eyes and from personal experience on these tracks, anyone who can shoot those numbers in those courses will shoot some scores in the 70s on other courses.

I know that you're not looking to break 80 in Leopardstown but you will definitely do this, probably when you're not even trying so hard some time in the next 3-4 months (maybe much sooner).

I don't necessarily agree with those saying that Winter golf and placing etc. etc. makes it much easier for the sub-80 score - that isn't my experience, but come spring you will do it - and you won't need 2 more visits to the putting lab or 100 trips to the range either. It will come...

Thanks guys, very nice posts. I don't know why people are so kind to me here. I deserve or am due a good kick in the arse at this stage.

The DB is a good one, i've been going well in rounds and then say I hit a bunker (there is two holes in my mind for this), I sort of get in a panic - don't know why this has come in to my mind. I'm a very good bunker player and have had 4 sand saves (up and downs) in the last 2 rounds. When I analysis it now. I think I'm trying to do too much from bad fairway and rough situations. I've changed my tee box strategy to good effect (thanks to all on here). But it is like the old me jumps in when I'm in a dodgy rough or bunker. I am sort of going back to my old self there. I would have a fair bit of power out of rough. But - the other day I even considered going for the green with a 6 iron from 200 yrds out from the rough :rolleyes:

I had a good chat with myself dropped to an 8 ( not a chance i would have done that last year), of course the rough tugged the club and the ball went left into a bush and ended with a DB on a par 5 I can birdie. All I needed to do was hit a PW and then another PW/SW for a birdie putt. ;)

Sorry that is way too many words for, I'm not bloody Seve, take the easy option - take your par. Then finish this bloody thing.

Ah no - still enjoying it - I take all in that is put up here and have changed. Not enough, but do we ever change enough. I'm trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭ronjo

ronjo - the entire thread (lol).
    I could have saved you time,

Near 90, got to 81 changed swing
    Got back to 82, changed swing
    Went back out to 85 +
    Putting panic , changed putting and putter back at 82.

Lots of unnecessary drama and bull. Procrastination and a meeting of a pro and a broken fridge. Every provence covered in our great little county looking for the answer to no question, to something that is inside. :):rolleyes:;):(:o:D

That would have saved me some time alright. :-D
    I was playing with a guy 2 weeks ago who is of similar standard to me, he was playing off 11.5 or something and he probably shot about 95.
    Last week he went out and shot level par...... 3 birdies, 3 bogeys and 12 pars. The guy is about 60 too so not a beginner on the way down and it was horribly windy
    It gives hope for all of us I guess
    fearruanua wrote: »

Man that must have taken you a while!!!!!!

Not the busiest day in the office :-D
    Well half yesterday and half today

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I think I'm trying to do too much from bad fairway and rough situations.

Just had a flashback there to mid summer. Playing Glasson near Athlone. Hell of a course. When you come back across the road there is a par 5, not sure what hole it is but it's before a par 3 then the dog leg that brings you back to the clubhouse. Anway, hit a great drive to the middle of the fairway, still a long way out though and no hope of getting there in 2. But reached straight for the 3 iron. Had a vision of "puring" the long iron and running it up to the front. Lifted my head, hit the ball about 100 yards and 20 yards right into trees. Guy playing with me said "You know 2 easy 8 irons would probably have left you in the middle of the green putting for birdie".

GRRRRRRRRR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

Arsenium wrote: »
    Just had a flashback there to mid summer. Playing Glasson near Athlone. Hell of a course. When you come back across the road there is a par 5, not sure what hole it is but it's before a par 3 then the dog leg that brings you back to the clubhouse. Anway, hit a great drive to the middle of the fairway, still a long way out though and no hope of getting there in 2. But reached straight for the 3 iron. Had a vision of "puring" the long iron and running it up to the front. Lifted my head, hit the ball about 100 yards and 20 yards right into trees. Guy playing with me said "You know 2 easy 8 irons would probably have left you in the middle of the green putting for birdie".

GRRRRRRRRR!!

Wrong thread Golf Moans: Get it off your chest ;)

IanPoulter wrote: »

This thread is one big moan.

That must be 14 in Glasson ? - (ten years ago now).

Love that place.

• Advertisement

This thread is one big moan.

That must be 14 in Glasson ? - (ten years ago now).

Love that place.

No it's earlier than that. 14 is the one from the really elevated tee box right? Par 5 dog leg right. It actually is before the par 3 over water so I see your thinking. Let me see...if that's 14 then 13 is the one that plays along the road as you drive in. So 12 is the dog leg that brings you back to the clubhouse...so 11 is the par 3 I mentioned...so it must be 10.

Arsenium wrote: »
    No it's earlier than that. 14 is the one from the really elevated tee box right? Par 5 dog leg right. It actually is before the par 3 over water so I see your thinking. Let me see...if that's 14 then 13 is the one thfromat plays along the road as you drive in. So 12 is the dog leg that brings you back to the clubhouse...so 11 is the par 3 I mentioned...so it must be 10.

Fair play. Great course must hit it soon. Still top class?

If you went back any further there form 15. You'd end up in your own bed .

Actually played that course in full fog one day. You could not see 100 yrs up fairways.

Yep. Still top class. They have renovated the hotel quite a bit in the last few years. Floor to ceiling windows all around giving great views of the lake. Very impressive if you are having a bite to eat or a pint after a round.

I saw recently where Knightsbrook in Trim has reciprocal playing righs with it.

Sorry FDP, this has absolutely nothing to do with your life sub 80 !!!

Too much time on the range, not enough on the course. The range has its purpose, but it can just become a bit of a habit. You can start playing well at the range and as one of the lads said here, by ball 60 you can play your self into bad habits due to boredom or just trying to finish. Ranges are too expensive too. I better start listening to myself. I seen a lad come in one day and hit less than 50 balls and away.

In a week I hit over 700 balls. Coming into that week I had been feelinga bit of a twinge in my right elbow. The more I read about it, the more I worry about it. For a good while, I’ve been thinking I’m too tense going through the ball, I don’t think my release is a true release, it can be a bit of a flick. Anyway – I’m thinking this has been leading to, too much force in the elbow or some sort of chicken wing.

I have to have a good think, where am I going with the range, the worst thing that could happen would be to injure myself. I’ll lay off the range for a while. I still swing very fast, fast and too many balls is a bad idea.

I was making good progress with stance and posture, my plane is more upright now, I just have not found a good finishing point for the swing, I think this would help a good release.

See other thread on wedges. I don’t know if my poor wedges are due to the underlying swing problems, but after this week , I am hitting wedges well,Driver well, but irons are now gone a bit left to right with odd hook. So varied results.

I often look at the empty putting green , or am the only one on it ,thinking how wrong us golfers have it all. I see this now. I was once blind.

I was putting away on my own the other day. This young lad came in (about 13) , we were chatting away, he off 9 already . He had the same putter as me and we were both talking about how much we love it. I noticed how natural his stroke was, he could just stand over the ball and hit it, most close, or in. I was laughing at the brilliance of youth. Just sort of get up and do it. His mother called him, waiting for him after his practice. Parents of sporting children are great.

So alone on the green again. More and more balls going in after 1 stroke. More and more putts closer.

I sometimes wonder am I much better at all, after all the balls and work and sweat and now a bloody injury. Maybe after all of this I will just be able to get the ball in the hole in less strokes. But am I any better at all. I sometimes feel great , then I have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

Take a break, sometimes it can be as good as a change. Hitting 700 balls a week is crazy, equivalent of about 20 rounds a week easy, also very costly. You'll just wear out.
    Practice should be fun, better to hit 10 shots with a set goal in mind, and quality, than just banging away aimlessly for the sake of it.
    Too much analysis, YouTube, books whatever can have a negative effect, trying to remember all that and swing a club, just clouds your mind.
    I have a six iron, shaft filled with lead, and lead in the head, its fairly heavy. I swing that every day, but rarely hit balls. What I'm getting at is sometimes different practice routines suit some more so than others. What ever your working on work on without balls, full swings mainly.
    I've heard some pros get you to swing club with eyes closed, reason, it helps your balance and improves your self awareness of your swing.

Don't be afraid to do something different if the current system is not getting results. Simple tends to be better I feel.

thegolfer wrote: »
    Take a break, sometimes it can be as good as a change. Hitting 700 balls a week is crazy, equivalent of about 20 rounds a week easy, also very costly. You'll just wear out.
    Practice should be fun, better to hit 10 shots with a set goal in mind, and quality, than just banging away aimlessly for the sake of it.
    Too much analysis, YouTube, books whatever can have a negative effect, trying to remember all that and swing a club, just clouds your mind.
    I have a six iron, shaft filled with lead, and lead in the head, its fairly heavy. I swing that every day, but rarely hit balls. What I'm getting at is sometimes different practice routines suit some more so than others. What ever your working on work on without balls, full swings mainly.
    I've heard some pros get you to swing club with eyes closed, reason, it helps your balance and improves your self awareness of your swing.

Don't be afraid to do something different if the current system is not getting results. Simple tends to be better I feel.

Thanks "thegolfer" - would be the way I was thinking.

At one stage tonight, I was there, this is a bloody 9 iron. Just hit it, you can do it. 150 yrds , I hit the marker. (There is always a tail wind there :p)

I can do this - what are you at ?

I was laughing tonight think - I'm the Padraig Harrington of the hackers (sorry for using that word).

I said a while back, that I would wait till end of month - and then try something new. I think, I will go back to my real pro. He costs a few quid - but it is cheaper than the range.

I have this move where the club and shoulder moves out - away from the path. I have overcompensated for this move with over connection and then get blocked or flick the wrists over to recover. I've also a reverse pivot to deal with. (lol) :D

Look I was +1 on front nine last week. But, that was great short game play. I know that has been the mantra of everybody here - but the more I have got into this, the more I have looked at it.

Do I want to break 80 ? Yes
    Do I want to be a better golfer ? Yes

Do you want to break 80 once and be a crap golfer - the answer is NO :eek:

What is the point of breaking 80 once - everybody can do that. I want a more sustainable outcome.

Too much time on the range, not enough on the course. The range has its purpose, but it can just become a bit of a habit. You can start playing well at the range and as one of the lads said here, by ball 60 you can play your self into bad habits due to boredom or just trying to finish. Ranges are too expensive too. I better start listening to myself. I seen a lad come in one day and hit less than 50 balls and away.

In a week I hit over 700 balls. Coming into that week I had been feelinga bit of a twinge in my right elbow. The more I read about it, the more I worry about it. For a good while, I’ve been thinking I’m too tense going through the ball, I don’t think my release is a true release, it can be a bit of a flick. Anyway – I’m thinking this has been leading to, too much force in the elbow or some sort of chicken wing.

I have to have a good think, where am I going with the range, the worst thing that could happen would be to injure myself. I’ll lay off the range for a while. I still swing very fast, fast and too many balls is a bad idea.

I was making good progress with stance and posture, my plane is more upright now, I just have not found a good finishing point for the swing, I think this would help a good release.

See other thread on wedges. I don’t know if my poor wedges are due to the underlying swing problems, but after this week , I am hitting wedges well,Driver well, but irons are now gone a bit left to right with odd hook. So varied results.

I often look at the empty putting green , or am the only one on it ,thinking how wrong us golfers have it all. I see this now. I was once blind.

I was putting away on my own the other day. This young lad came in (about 13) , we were chatting away, he off 9 already . He had the same putter as me and we were both talking about how much we love it. I noticed how natural his stroke was, he could just stand over the ball and hit it, most close, or in. I was laughing at the brilliance of youth. Just sort of get up and do it. His mother called him, waiting for him after his practice. Parents of sporting children are great.

So alone on the green again. More and more balls going in after 1 stroke. More and more putts closer.

I sometimes wonder am I much better at all, after all the balls and work and sweat and now a bloody injury. Maybe after all of this I will just be able to get the ball in the hole in less strokes. But am I any better at all. I sometimes feel great , then I have doubts.

You're a nut job (in the best possible sense):D

Hitting a hundred balls a session is mad. You will get injuries for sure. You've been told enough times on here about the short game. Thats what you need to practice. No matter what your swing is doing on a particular day - a good short game can keep the scores low. You're obsessed with swing mechanics. Start reading Rotella and get into visualisation. You CAN swing a club - you've proved that. You just need to remember good swings before you play each shot. Shooting 1 over on the front 9 and collapsing on the back is a sure sign that you're not in the moment - you're into your score far too much.

I've never seen anyone around the 12/13 handicap mark break 80 without their short game being in good nick that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Fixde, enjoy reading all your trials and tribulations, but my god if I had all the thought processes you put into your swing I would end up with a swing like Charles Barkley.
    Have you gone out one day cleared the mind of all this and just hit the ball, no practice swing no nothing and just enjoy the moment on the golf course?

Webbs wrote: »
    Fixde, enjoy reading all your trials and tribulations, but my god if I had all the thought processes you put into your swing I would end up with a swing like Charles Barkley.
    Have you gone out one day cleared the mind of all this and just hit the ball, no practice swing no nothing and just enjoy the moment on the golf course?

Thanks - I think i describe it on here for explanatory reasons. I think the detail here is only range talk.
    I try to do just what you say. Would not have many thoughs on the course and play a good few shots by feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I have to say I love this thread, it is a golfing cross between Don Quixote and Dear Frankie with added smartass relish.
    It is so popular because FDPM actually writes what many of are thinking or agonising over. I would love to know how he fits in work, family and his pals... Does he really exist... Is he a golfing ghost?

Must watch Tin Cup again ..... soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

With respect I think you are completely wasting your time with this approach.
    You are going to break 80 (initially at least, but also regularly) by getting up and down.
    Thats it, thats how everyone does it the vast majority of the time.
    Its not going to come from multiple birdies or a run of 2 putt pars.

Trying to find out why you are not leaving them within 4feet from 100 yards when you are not getting up and down enough is crazy IMO.
    Spend your time on the putting green, the chipping green and practice bunker and you will break 80 easily. The rest of your game is clearly good enough.

I have to say I love this thread, it is a golfing cross between Don Quixote and Dear Frankie with added smartass relish.
    It is so popular because FDPM actually writes what many of are thinking or agonising over. I would love to know how he fits in work, family and his pals... Does he really exist... Is he a golfing ghost?

Must watch Tin Cup again ..... soon!

Peter. I’ll take that as a compliment.

Could you remove that golf ball out of your mouth, oh - sorry that is your tongue.

Speaking of time management, I have this big project going on in work at the moment. I have to say, this work thing, is really getting in the way of my golf now.

I had an epiphany, induced by my 2 year old last week. All my birthday gifts were golf clothes etc. She came over to me (she is very funny) and said, “Daddy you are not going to work, you are going golfing”. I laughed.

I’m lucky that the work I do is flexible, it gives me time off when the kids are at school or crèche, so I have time to myself, outside the normal 9-5 thing. That is why this is done alone. I do it outside normal time as much as possible. (early morning, late in the evening). I try not to impact on weekends.

I think if I was in my 20s, this would have been over in a few months, but the sporadic nature of my input, has been contributory to drifting from the critical path.

The thread is now a weird thing. A sort of life of its own. That is silly to say that, but it is true. I’m not really the type of person who would ever have done this sort of thing.

But, a few things happened in my life, that made me give things a go. I am unaccustomed to giving up, I know this can’t be open ended, due to the exact reasons you have alluded to and reasons, I wouldn’t allude to on a public forum.

I’ve tried to drag my aging friends along. Our Golf Society is formed (l won this year (lol)), I think golf is for the forties in a way.

I think the thread has been fun, failure has been fun. I can’t have ever imagined saying that before. I underestimated what I was trying to do, we are talking 6 to 7 shots off my scores. I think changing my swing and going down the lesson route is great for my golf in later life, but a major change of scope to this project.

The timing of my now 4th or 5th peak of improvement, is bad timing in a way. I’m struggling to play 2 times a week. Without that I’m in trouble here.

How much longer is practical, you can only say so much, try so many things. Tragedy and failure are a suitable endings to so many stories. Repeated tragedy and failure is like watching bloody Eastenders. The same bloody story comes up again and again.

My daughter saying that to me, was funny once, but a 2nd time could be tragic. I know golf gives me peace. I think it has the power to help me personally, If I’m happy, it makes me a better Dad.

I think one day, the kids will be coming to the course with me, like my Dad did for me. I will try break 80, they will try break 75. It is the perpetuation of trying to improve, that was handed to me. Whilst a great ideal – it has its flaws. Inbuilt, there needs to be an acceptance of the reality. We all have our limits, we all have our place of acceptance and happiness. Some find that place, others have it - but can’t see, sadly - some never get it.

Maybe I look too deep into it, it is just a game, it is just a score, It is just life.

GreeBo wrote: »
    With respect I think you are completely wasting your time with this approach.
    You are going to break 80 (initially at least, but also regularly) by getting up and down.
    Thats it, thats how everyone does it the vast majority of the time.
    Its not going to come from multiple birdies or a run of 2 putt pars.

Trying to find out why you are not leaving them within 4feet from 100 yards when you are not getting up and down enough is crazy IMO.
    Spend your time on the putting green, the chipping green and practice bunker and you will break 80 easily. The rest of your game is clearly good enough.

I know GreeBo -

BTW I never said 4 feet, I was using it as a KPI of a real problem - I am pulling wedges. No harm not pulling wedges.

I have tried more than comes across here. I thnk the putting was a real issue for a few months. I've made good forward steps here. I've put hours and hours into this.

I have put a good bit into chipping, but if I'm being honest , not being in a club has been a major obstacle here.

I've tried to work around that, but I've accepted the importance of a short game facility to become a better golfer. I think being in a club with this is a must to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I know GreeBo -

BTW I never said 4 feet, I was using it as a KPI of a real problem - I am pulling wedges. No harm not pulling wedges.

I have tried more than comes across here. I thnk the putting was a real issue for a few months. I've made good forward steps here. I've put hours and hours into this.

I have put a good bit into chipping, but if I'm being honest , not being in a club has been a major obstacle here.

I've tried to work around that, but I've accepted the importance of a short game facility to become a better golfer. I think being in a club with this is a must to improve.

Pulling wedges isnt stopping you from breaking 80.
    Aim for the middle of the green and you will still break 80.
    I break 80 without having a single birdie the vast majority of the time, you dont need birdies.

No matter how many wedges you stitch you are still going to have to get up and down to break 80, its far easier to get up and down than it is to make a birdie and it has the exact same impact on your score. You also have far more chances to get up and down than you will to hit a wedge close for birdie.

Sure there is no harm not pulling wedges, but your goal is to break 80, not to hit perfect wedges; the two are not related.

You can practice chipping and putting in the garden, on the green area outside your house or even on the carpet. I putted to a mug in the hall for years and chipped into a bucket out the back.
    If you can do this you can chip and putt on any green anywhere.
    You are trying to get comfortable with your technique, not get used to one specific speed of green. You dont need grass to practice this.

The problem is that this is just not as much fun, unless you make it fun.
    Possibly its also not as much fun for you to write about, but supposedly writing isn't your goal, breaking 80 is?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Pulling wedges isnt stopping you from breaking 80.
    Aim for the middle of the green and you will still break 80.
    I break 80 without having a single birdie the vast majority of the time, you dont need birdies.

No matter how many wedges you stitch you are still going to have to get up and down to break 80, its far easier to get up and down than it is to make a birdie and it has the exact same impact on your score. You also have far more chances to get up and down than you will to hit a wedge close for birdie.

Sure there is no harm not pulling wedges, but your goal is to break 80, not to hit perfect wedges; the two are not related.

You can practice chipping and putting in the garden, on the green area outside your house or even on the carpet. I putted to a mug in the hall for years and chipped into a bucket out the back.
    If you can do this you can chip and putt on any green anywhere.
    You are trying to get comfortable with your technique, not get used to one specific speed of green. You dont need grass to practice this.

The problem is that this is just not as much fun, unless you make it fun.
    Possibly its also not as much fun for you to write about, but supposedly writing isn't your goal, breaking 80 is?

Sound advice GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

+1.

I'd also add:

Keeping the ball in play (I know :rolleyes::o)
    Parring most/all the par 5s
    Being a dinger on 2-3 footers so you can be more aggressive with your 8-12 footers.

It must be difficult trying to practice chipping alright if you're not a member of a club. Anyone any suggestions for this for Fixed? Chipping is IMO the number 1 thing to be good at...you are going to miss more greens that you make and good pitching/chipping will give you lots of realistic chances of getting up & down.

Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    +1.

I'd also add:

Keeping the ball in play (I know :rolleyes::o)
    Parring most/all the par 5s
    Being a dinger on 2-3 footers so you can be more aggressive with your 8-12 footers.

It must be difficult trying to practice chipping alright if you're not a member of a club. Anyone any suggestions for this for Fixed? Chipping is IMO the number 1 thing to be good at...you are going to miss more greens that you make and good pitching/chipping will give you lots of realistic chances of getting up & down.

Loire.

My garden is 52ft wide (17yds) - not big by any stretch of the imagination. But I still have plenty of room to chip and I do so regularly with a sand wedge and a lob wedge. Having 7ft walls on either side helps but I can still throw the ball up 10 or 12ft in the air. In fairness though, this time of year is not good for chipping when the ground is like a bog !

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

The "formula" for breaking 80 is
    3 gir with a max of 2 putts on each
    3 up and downs
    3 bogies only
    All for both 9's.
    et voila

shaneon77 wrote: »
    The "formula" for breaking 80 is
    3 gir with a max of 2 putts on each
    3 up and downs
    3 bogies only
    All for both 9's.
    et voila

Give him a 3 putt somewhere and he can still have 79 on a par 72 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

exactly. i tried for ages to break 80. wrecked my head in doing so. on advise of someone,i started playing 27 holes while trying to break 120. more often than not i was shooting 78-80 on the first 18. i always started on my favorite 9 first though.

Advertisement