Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Broke 80 today (72) for the 5th time in four months, went out with an empty head, no swing thoughts etc. Played the back nine in the rain which unusually didn't bother me and ended up -1. Bad drive on 15 into trees cost me a bogey after being -1, however drilled my drive on 16 followed by a wedge to 18 inches resulting in birdie. Rain was falling steadily with an icy feel as I tee'd off on 17, hit middle of green & walked off with tap in par. Decent drive on 18 followed by a 5wood from 200yds which came up just short.... Sand wedge to 2ft .. tap in par.

Love this game.......

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The river Shannon was fully flowing, deep, close to the top of the quay wall in Athlone. A darkness in the water that can only be explained by the great bogs of the area. A river and land that has provided life and fuel to a beautiful piece of Ireland. As I looked at the black water, I realised that the piece of water I was looking at, would only pass under that bridge once, more water will come, but not the same piece of water. Not the piece of water I was looking at. I realised the midlands is not a place to stand around for too long, thinking too much. It is too bloody cold.

So back to St. Anne’s , the much unloved links of the east coast (note it is par 71 (sss72)). The course has grown on me, it is a stunning location and the views of the Dublin Mountains and the way the clouds change every day always keep me interested. The wind and green complexes make it a tough course to get birdies. The wind can have you hitting a 9 iron one day, or a low 6 iron the next. A GPS won’t have the answers on all the shots here – you need to see the shot and know the green.

I have rarely played golf in weather below 5 degree Celsius, particularly on the coast. I knew I had the day off, so had a bright idea of buying a flask and bringing boiling hot beef and vegetable soup out to the course. As I was pouring away, I made a balls of it (like an up and down) and burnt my left hand - missed the hole on top of the flask. I was there “S**T!”, I need to go play golf now. (man up, soup, what a weirdo!)

I was standing on the 8th tee 7 over, going , I should go home. I had jumped out of the car, first time back on a course in 2 weeks, no practice swing or practice putt at all. Awful preparation, sort of me a year ago. I wasn’t playing that bad, just messy around the greens. I was definitely not match fit. The irons were good, but the driver uncertain, but not used as much these days.

I hit one of the best drives of the year on 8 and from 110 yrds hit a 9iron to left edge (just off). I looked at the Dublin Mountains from the approach and an extraordinary light was breaking through the clouds. The putt hit the flag, why it didn’t drop, I don’t know. Next hole, just off edge, great chip - hit flag, did not go in. So standing on 10th was 7 over. I had gone 42 on the front, 15 putts and only 1 GIR.

I went into a great run of golf. It seems like it all just came together. Par, Par. Bog (bad chip), Par,Par.

On 15 I was thinking, could I? It is a tough finish in St Anne’s . I was thinking, I better have some soup here. I hit a bit of a hook - but ok, 160 yrd in, 7 iron in hand, I said come on, it is 5 degrees here with a slight headwind, hit a nice 6 to middle of green and drained a 40 foot putt for birdie. (Game On !). I hit a good 4 iron off 16. I was 150 yrds out and said, come on, tail wind, hit a 9 iron or Pw and commit. Picked 9 iron, but it went to back of green (wrong place) , had a 3 putt. So 2 pars now needed for a 79. Great up and down on 17. I stood up on 18 and said come on, relax, good posture, release, come on inside, don’t reverse , DON’T THINK TOO MUCH.

Class drive to 100 yrds. The wind was picking up, so dropped to 52 degree and kept it low, good shot , but ran out too much. An ok putt from off back of green and a 6 foot putt remaining to break 80 (on a par 71 course (lol)).

I got home and my daughter ran out to me in the hall shouting “Daddy”, my son now a genius on computers, playing away, both a year older now. I told my wife I did it. I broke 80. A large smile broke out on her face.

I will return in the summer and do it again on a par 72. But, for now a chapter is over. I‘ve learnt so much about myself during this, I’ve received so much help from total strangers. When this life is good, it is really good. But golf is just a game. Thanks to all, talk to all soon and will update in the summer.

In Athlone a river flows, a new piece of water flows under the bridge every second. Somebody is looking at that river right now; they will never see that piece of water again.

THE END (For Now)

Round
    Front 42
    Back 37
    Putts 30 (2 3 Putts)
    GIR 1 front, 5 on back.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Yes!!! Brilliant news. Delighted for you. God reading the last bit as the kids were dragging out of me I was nervous as hell. It was like coming to the last few pages of a good novel and trying to not jump ahead to the end.

Few beers tonight so I imagine FDP??

Congrats again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

colbert-o.gif

After I composed myself, this is how I felt.
    Well done FIXED PITCHMARK :)

• Advertisement

As Chris Kamara says "unbelievable"..... Delighted that you have finally got the milestone from around your neck and to do it on a links course is even sweeter.

Whether the course is par 71 or par 72 is insignificant In my opinion, you still broke 80. I look forward to seeing you post that you've done it again in the coming weeks (because you will) no doubt.

Once again well done Fdp... Onwards & downwards for your future scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Meant to say it earlier, dont even think about starting a My Life (sub 75) thread :)
    Don't think I could handle that

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Meant to say it earlier, dont even think about starting a My Life (sub 75) thread :)
    Don't think I could handle that

Lol - she said it to me - Drive to 75 - or some **** like that. I don't think so. If it happens from now on - it happens! :)

But all joking aside , I think I could score lower - way easier now. But, not another bloody thread. Time to get the lights in the house fixed and all the other jobs I was putting on the back burner. ;)

Thanks aj - for the push along the way (et al). Just opened a Bulmers. But work thing in am. :)

I'd say I could shot a mid 70 in summer, (lol) breaks 80 once, he thinks he is a bloody 3 handicapper now (I make myself laugh - when drinking) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

I'm going to miss this thread.. but for all the right reasons...Well done :-) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Ya know, technically, given that the thread is called 'My Life (sub 80)' it should just be starting now, as in you are finally living your life as a sub 80 man. Up to now you were actually an 'above 80' man. So this is really the first day of that life. Shutting down the thread makes no sense at all!

• Advertisement

Ya know, technically, given that the thread is called 'My Life (sub 80)' it should just be starting now, as in you are finally living your life as a sub 80 man. Up to now you were actually an 'above 80' man. So this is really the first day of that life. Shutting down the thread makes no sense at all!

Technically smeknically. After me going out and buying your book in tescos with my daughter going nuts for a Peppa pig book.

But the sub (80) was not literal, aspirational as you know.
    Btw well done on tescos. If im wrong sorry .

Im sorry for title - but we shouldnt talk technically when it comes to talking crap .

:D:D:D

Have to agree with you 100%, also I think other posters may use this thread when they too finally break 80 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Technically smeknically. After me going out and buying your book in tescos with my daughter going nuts for a peppa pig book.

But the sub (80) was not literal, aspirational as you know.
    Btw well done on tescos. If im wrong sorry .

Im sorry for title - but we shouldnt talk technically when it comes to talking crap .

Ah only joking with the technicality! Just a pity you're at the end of your own project. It was good fun. Lots of sub 80s coming in the new year. Looking forward to hearing about them.

Your deduction regarding the book was spot on! Although, in time, you may wish you bought the Peppa Pig book than trying to figure out what's going on inside Harri's head.

mafc wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Have to agree with you 100%, also I think other posters may use this thread when they too finally break 80 !

Now hang on , there is no using this thread. Where is GreeBo whfen you actually need him. S**t ban for life.

Only joking. Jaysus, with GreeBo for up and downs , we would have won any Ryder Cup match in history today. It is great being ok at golf. Too good is too much hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Just read this now fix and I was welling up at home with the missus. I got so excited i put up the christmas tree, cracked open a bottle of fizzy Guinness and sat back with the feet up watching Love Actually.
    All i could think about was wishing I was in your house with you and your family all huddled around the new framed score card which has just been hung above the open fire. You are all wearing christmas jumpers and Im in the kitchen fixing your fridge.

:)
    Ah only joking with the technicality! Just a pity you're at the end of your own project. It was good fun. Lots of sub 80s coming in the new year. Looking forward to hearing about them.

Your deduction regarding the book was spot on! Although, in time, you may wish you bought the Peppa Pig book than trying to figure out what's going on inside Harri's head.

Seve , I'm more thinking end of thread - well, I will report in summer when I break 80 in summer - on a par 72. Want to keep that lad "Ian Poulter" here happy:) .

If I'm being truthful, I don't think I would want to be any better - what do you try do, after you shoot a 75. I'm a dreamer , I like to think, "that was a great recovery" - I like to play the game when there is hope of improvement, an unexpected great shot.

I feel alive when I play a shot beyond me ( I felt like that on the back nine) - I look at pros, they let the club go on a bad shot and it is 15 feet left of pin. I'm not saying that is what I'm trying to avoid, but it is a reminder that golf, is in a way, asymptotic. It gets to a level where the joy is diminished.

Anyway Seve - will enjoy the book over Xmas - if you want me to go on, could you get me a sponser etc. (JOKING) :D;)

ForeRight wrote: »
    Just read this now fix and I was welling up at home with the missus. I got so excited i put up the christmas tree, cracked open a bottle of fizzy Guinness and sat back with the feet up watching Love Actually.
    All i could think about was wishing I was in your house with you and your family all huddled around the new framed score card which has just been hung above the open fire. You are all wearing christmas jumpers and Im in the kitchen fixing your fridge.

(lol) and Love Actually. :D

I put the card on the table - my son knocked over my cup of tea over it - I just had to laugh at the brillance and reality of life.

(lol) and Love. :D

I put the card on the table - my son knocked over my cup of tea over it - I just had to laugh at the brillance and reality of life.

Seriously though. Congrats well done. I remember the first time I did it. Felt brilliant. I didn't put as much pressure on myself to do it as you may have and it just happened one day naturally.
    The progression now is to do it again within your next 10 rounds or so. Then do it again within 5.

Then shoot in the 70's more often than not when you play.

No bother too you as obviously you have the ability if you have done it once.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Seriously though. Congrats well done. I remember the first time I did it. Felt brilliant. I didn't put as much pressure on myself to do it as you may have and it just happened one day naturally.
    The progression now is to do it again within your next 10 rounds or so. Then do it again within 5.

Then shoot in the 70's more often than not when you play.

No bother too you as obviously you have the ability if you have done it once.

Thanks

To answer - na, don't have ability, just dog headed stupidity.

I'm way above myself here.

Thanks BTW.

Thanks

To answer - na, don't have ability, just dog headed stupidity.

I'm way above myself here.

Thanks BTW.

You do have the ability.

It's all in the hips fixy. The ball wants to go home, his bags are packed just send him home.

Don't ever forget that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Superb news, I was beginning to fear for your sanity Fixed for a while, so glad you've finally gotten there!

While it has been a pleasure to read and I will miss keeping an eye on your progress it is a great achievement to have set a goal and completed it.

Hopefully I'll follow in your footsteps soon enough. Just need to somehow transform the wife into one as sympathetic to the cause as your own and I'll have a chance ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

well done on breaking the 80.

May i ask, what had athlone to do with St. Annes? Only read the start and end of your post and got distracted when i realised you shot a 79!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    well done on breaking the 80.

May i ask, what had athlone to do with St. Annes? Only read the start and end of your post and got distracted when i realised you shot a 79!!

Was in Athlone for the week off golf. But - I can't explain my own ****e most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Well done FDP.

Have only ever been sub-80 twice. Once was around Corballis so doesn't really count (par 66 :eek:).
    The first "real" one was around Sillogue Park (Par 71) bringing out a mate who was playing his first round ever. I think it was the exceptionally long gaps between shots that helped:p

blackwhite wrote: »
    Well done FDP.

Have only ever been sub-80 twice. Once was around Corballis so doesn't really count (par 66 :eek:).
    The first "real" one was around Sillogue Park (Par 71) bringing out a mate who was playing his first round ever. I think it was the exceptionally long gaps between shots that helped:p

(lol)

The hours I spent daydreaming on thoses 2 courses, has me how I am. If you were not from the area - I would not be advising standing that still in Ballymun for too long. :) Great courses to learn links and parkland.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Was in Athlone for the week off golf. But - I can't explain my own ****e most of the time.

Should have brought the clubs. Myself and charlie could have brought you around athlone ;)

Congrats on your achievement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I broke 80.

Congrads. Keep saying "I broke 80" again & again to yourself dude. What a smashing place to do it too. If I'm being honest, given what you've gone through, I'd have probably taken a week off work and played Leopardstown 3 times a day to do it!

Well done again and I'd bet you'll break 80 again in 2012, weather permitting.

Your writing style is excellent and Kevin Markham could do worse than take you along for a few of the better courses for his next book ;).

Loire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Congrats!

And keep posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

IanPoulter wrote: »
    Your life (sub 80) is over for another season. It's winter golf now so the tees are a bit forward and there's placing everywhere. My first sub 80 was 78 in winter but to me it didn't count. Have gone on to 9 or 10 sub 80's now. No harm in breaking 80 in the winter to get the monkey off and it will probably come easier in the summer if you achieve it in winter. To achieve your goal you'll have to be unaware of your score for most of the round although you'll be aware that you're playing well
    :)

Seve , I'm more thinking end of thread - well, I will report in summer when I break 80 in summer - on a par 72. Want to keep that lad "Ian Poulter" here happy:) .

If I'm being truthful, I don't think I would want to be any better - what do you try do, after you shoot a 75. I'm a dreamer , I like to think, "that was a great recovery" - I like to play the game when there is hope of improvement, an unexpected great shot.

I feel alive when I play a shot beyond me ( I felt like that on the back nine) - I look at pros, they let the club go on a bad shot and it is 15 feet left of pin. I'm not saying that is what I'm trying to avoid, but it is a reminder that golf, is in a way, asymptotic. It gets to a level where the joy is diminished.

Anyway Seve - will enjoy the book over Xmas - if you want me to go on, could you get me a sponser etc. (JOKING) :D;)

Well done Fix.

Don't think I said anything about it being par 71 or 72 (unless you've identified me from another id :eek:).

To be fair St Anne's is SSS 72 and that counts more in respect of difficulty than the actual par of the course. You could break 80 on a par 72 with an SSS 70 or break 80 in Corballis but that wouldn't feel the same.

It's funny how in the past you've shot great front 9's and folded but you've actually done it with a 7 over front 9 and a 1 over back 9. I think you relaxed on the back 9 when you thought your chance was gone. You weren't thinking of the score till you birdied 15 and realised you had a chance. But in fairness you kept it together well on the last 2.

Must have been a lot of s**t going on in your head for that 6 footer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭blackwhite

(lol)

The hours I spent daydreaming on thoses 2 courses, has me how I am. If you were not from the area - I would not be advising standing that still in Ballymun for too long. :) Great courses to learn links and parkland.

Thanks.

Only time I ever played it, just to get the other lad out somewhere quiet(ish) as a start. Was living just off the Navan Road at the time, wasn't a whole lot safer!:eek:

Advertisement