Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Hit the driving range today. (with my coach , my 5 year old son).

A good laugh with him, but a bit distracting too. It's part of my clever with my time practice, well, clever, but a bit odd.

Was trying to try a few different takeaway routes. Decided to go back straight for about two feet, then come on inside , obviously not straight , but a wide arc inside target line. Then coming inside close to body from there (two feet from ball). This is new for me, Had good results, 3 out of ten slices. Was 8 out of ten last week. So a big day, on my birthday.

As was said here, was concerned over my shaft flex, but too flexible should not be slicing was in my head ?. So had ten drives with my old Big Bertha 2 plus stiff shaft. All going left too right.

When I did the exaggerated takeaway then inside to body from two feet away from ball , I actually hit a few draws, this put a smile on my face, it means I have turned a corner in more ways than one.

Left the Grange Portmarnock happier than I went in and got myself a new Muzino 60 degree 8 bounce. Feeling a bit cocky. But a fall is always a flop away in golf.

The only help I've ever got in golf was my Dad starting off . I now know I'm doing ok, but I'm on my own. Great help on here and You Tube has changed golf. Perhaps you can do it on your own with the net these days ?

I've tended to do most things without help in my life, it's time to grow up widing my arc and my circle, in my golf life.

100 euros for 5 lessons, time to have a think about it.

I've had lessons from time to time and most have been beneficial if not immediately then sometime later when the penny dropped. Teaching Pros have very different methods of teaching. Some will teach one method only and change anything and everything to get you to swing the club their way. Others try to work with what you've got by tweaking at the edges. I once went to a Pro when I had a fade/slice and he told me that I'd always have a fade as it was my natural swing. Having read quite alot about the difference between a draw and a fade, I knew he was talking crap. The biggest change I made to my swing was moving from a slice to a draw and it was achieved from reading the internet. Irrespect of whether you swing like Woods, Furyk or Darcy, the path of the club face for the last 12 inches before impact will determine whether the ball draws, cuts or goes straight.

My advice is to continue experimenting while you are gaining knowledge. You've already eliminated alot of your slices (on the range) by swinging flatter. This is going to feel alien to you until you hit hundreds of balls this way. It will be so much easier for you to understand what any Pro is trying to teach you when you understand different swing planes and how they impact on the shape of shot. There is nothing wrong with being self taught.

If you want to experiment a little more on the range and bring that smile to your face with a draw then try this:

Next time you setup with the driver, pull your right foot back about 3 inches so that you are pointing slightly right of the target (a difficult concept for all slicers who prefer to aim left of target). This will give you more room to bring the club back on the inside path and produce a draw. By experimenting with the feet position and the amount of flatness in your swing plane you will arrive at what works best for you. When you start hooking the ball you know you've overcooked the correction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

AldilaMan wrote: »
    You've already eliminated alot of your slices (on the range) by swinging flatter.

I wouldn't agree with this as a fix to slicing the ball. A flat or upright swing does not determine if you will hook or slice the ball. In fact a flat swing gets the club too far behind you and can promote an over the top swing. This can lead to a duck hook or a slice.
    AldilaMan wrote: »
    Irrespect of whether you swing like Woods, Furyk or Darcy, the path of the club face for the last 12 inches before impact will determine whether the ball draws, cuts or goes straight.

I would agree with this. Get your hips turning first and let your arms follow. This is key to getting the club coming from the inside. If anything take the club away straight as takeaway from the inside promotes over the top also

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Have decided (about 90 %) to go for one. needs to be a good guy. Have not got time for a dodgy guy. North side Clontarf, St Annes, Portmarnock ranges ?

Will pay extra if good.

Up to bed, few wines in "me" head, and reading Seve to sleep.

Read a good idea in one of the Golf Monthly the other day. Think of 5 positive things in every round (I'll make it every session). The positive thing is not typical of me, but I'm opening my mind on this journey, whatever it takes.

1) Boards, Great Golfers and positive help online.
    2) Hitting great irons, best of my life.
    3) Best Equipment of my life
    4) Have a plan (coming together), getting fitter.
    5) A new positve attitude. :)

My Birthday is over a new day is dawning, God I'm doing me own head in now. Sorry think positive.

Had a busy week with the kids and my dads birthday.

Went to the driving range twice. Working on set up after seeing a great tip from Luke Donald on here. I'm amazed to find my posture is a little off, I guess I'm looking at things I've never looked at before. When I changed my posture I started to draw / pull the ball.

Had about 200 puts into a cup on my dads carpet , I spent hours after hours as a child doing this. My sister was looking at me as if I'm gone mad. Perhaps I have. I had a few beers in me and was kissing my new Muzino Wedge 60 o. Funny.

Dying to get out and test myself. But Life is more important than breaking 80. Well, some things are important to people, some things make a person. I need to do this. But time and help is all around if you go and look for it.

I brought my nephew to the Grange drving range, he loved it. It is a hard thing to do, teach golf to somebody, I'm getting a bit better at it, as I understand my own swing and it's flaws a little more.

I was looking at all the equipment and the cost of it, Golfers are weak in the head. I'm weak in the head.

I'm reading SEVE, a lovely read, the guy was so confident. I'm understanding from reading it how this made him. And, perhaps I need to be a little more confident, can you make yourself confident ?

Only 39 days to the winter solstice, my favourite day of the year, a turn, a change , a new year, a new dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJ66aCXNpk&feature=related

Got out on St. Annes on Tuesday.

What a day for golf, cold, but still and clear. Sun low in the southern sky. Not too many days that still on the east coast. Someone on here, said they love winter golf, I’m seeing it clearer now. I must admit what a great autumn I’ve picked to play my first winter golf.
    I was playing as a one ball, I like playing alone, but you are out of place and in the way. I’m good at working around and skipping groups when I need to, but with me needing to get scores to see where I am, I don’t like doing this anymore. Was held up by two nice gentlemen, who invited me to join them, the lads were about 80 , fair play , it reminds you how beautiful a game we play. I was paid a compliment by one of the lads, telling me I’m real golfer, with a nice smooth swing. He could not believe I was not a member of a club or of St. Annes, In a complimentary way. Nice.

There was a laddie’s competition on and I got kind of stuck on the course, this put me off a bit and I had my first bad shot on the par 4 5th , OB and a 7. I had been off the course for 3 weeks and not near a sub 80 player yet. Working on long game and making.
    Back to the start , knew I should hit a four iron to start, so two four irons got me just off the par 5 green, this was a great start , I’ve been away for too long (family , life etc.). Ended up with a bogey 6, poor chip, 3 putt (Shocking). 2nd hole , 4 Iron down the middle, PW short, chip, 2 putts. 3rd 8Iron on green 3 putts (Shocking). 3rd hole, Pulled 3 Wood off tee, amazing 7 Iron, 2 putts for Par. 4th Under pressure as held up , so nearly holding up a group of laddies (Group ahead holding me up). Pulled a 3 w OB on 4th tee. Head dropped a bit. But did well to get a 7 (Would have been more before). And on and on. Ended up on 86, Not great, but playing great irons, improved drives, shocking from 100 yrds and short putts.

I would never have hit 4 irons off tees before, I hit a great 4 iron, but I love a drive, what a different round it would have been if I just hit a 4 iron of the 4th . As the round went on got a good run, but got a bit held up again on the 15th and 16th, used the space to practice putts (knew the sub 80 was well gone), On the 17th , a great hole, the group ahead had turned themselves to a 6 ball to beat the fading light, I hit 3 balls why not , 3 - 5 irons all on the green. It is a tough hole and this put a smile on my face, for an experiment, played all 3 balls and got one par, sums up my game now.

Library Diversion,

Left the SEVE book back to the Library this week , got a bit sad at the end as he became very bitter towards so many things, was this the start of his illness , I don’t know. But what a life, what a young player. Great book , but even in his mid life he was a bit paranoid, the local club, the Euro PGA, the US Tour, Spain, his wife, goes on and on. Maybe some are true, but can’t be all true.

The library, what a fantastic public service, only back at the library for the first time in 20 years. Got Hooked by Kevin Markham. I think I’ll be buying it now, what a great little (big) book, the work that went in is incomprehensible. Obviously I’d say the markings are subjective, but the little write up is fantastic, will be checking out his blog a bit more. Put a smile on my face to see my childhood course Corballis well marked. It is a course people love or hate, or even love to hate. I have not played Royal Dublin , but I’d say they are not too happy to be only two points ahead of Corballis.
    The only thing about the book, is the value for money, paying over 100 euro for any round is not on (In my world). I can understand the logic, if something is that good, it is value ?

Anyway, this is about me breaking 80, a little bit of life thrown in.
    I’ve asked myself why am I recording this on boards ? I’ve had a nightmare the last year with my family and the big C. But on the other side, I’ve found golf and writing a bit of a release. I’m not that great at either. But will give it a go. I have found Boards very helpful to hear opinions from others on my goal, my slice from my drive is almost gone, the 100 yds in thing is where I go to next.

As, I hit the 18th the sun had gone below the Dublin mountains, on the beach a child or adult was showing amazing skill with a remote control airplane on the beach, a middle aged man was showing average skill on the golf course, a drive, a short PW and a 2 put to finish, the child in the adult smiled to himself.

My life above 80 continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

a commendable and (given a recent post of which we will not mention) realistic target. Best of luck with it, keep up the good work and perservere.

acejeff wrote: »
    a commendable and (given a recent post of which we will not mention) realistic target. Best of luck with it, keep up the good work and perservere.

Peace to all, was stuck in the rough for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

As said before..

Lessons + Practice.

Way more practice than lessons. It takes time to get used to changes.

The first pro you try might not be the right pro for you. It takes a bit of knowledge to know when it's not working. Not so easy to do.

I was lucky. I had one lesson with a pro that showed me stuff that instantly made sense. I was able to make great progress on my own afterwards. I later went to another pro for one lesson and the stuff he was telling me made no sense so I ignored his advice. I worked on my own after that and made a lot more progress.

It will take time.

Good luck.

Sometimes in life golf has to take a back seat. It is only a game. But , it never leaves the back of your mind. It is like a hole in a sock. My last game of 2011 was an 85, in wet conditions and soft ground. This seems a long way from sub 80. But a golfer knows when an 85 is a good 85 or a bad 85. It was a good one, if there is such a thing? 2012 is the year to do it. We live in hope , without hope life can take over your life. I've been laughed at with my poor poetry on here. So, I will sign off 2011 and start 2012 with a new one. Tongue in cheek of course.

What will the 2012 Golf Gods have in store ?

New Year

A New Year , a new life.
    A new light, an old strife.
    A hew hope, a new way,
    A new club, a new day.

The game for ever, the only one,
    The game that can be only played, not won.
    My weak sliced drive, hope now gone.
    Play the game like a child, just for fun.

A dream is there, a journey alone.
    Some posters on boards are close to the bone.
    Inner mind, the deep part of the soul.
    An answer to life in a small little hole.

Poetry and golf, not a runner i think. ;)

Have a great 2012, may a long putt go in, when it can not be explained.

Can you burn yourself out with golf ?

When I woke up , I looked out the window and had images of a golf course with the wind on view.
    I see an open Golf Monthly on the bed side locker, I look in my sock drawer and see socks designed for golf, oh the madness of King George.

I go the loo and open Golf Monthly, when I go for breakfast I find a few tees on the kitchen table , I turn on the tv and put on the Trilby Tour Golf 2011 review.

I'm looking at courses in travel suplements in places I will never play and dream of, The Bahamas, Mexico and parts of England.

What next, waiting outside golf shops and driving ranges (which I have done). A Golfaddict.

I log on, not facebook, not gmail, not BBC, Boards Golf first. A more calm approach is needed or a trip to The Priory.

• Advertisement

Got to the driving range twice this week, one round also. Have been researching the slice and looking back on the help I got here. There seems to be an industry on line on the slice. I hear it is the fault of 90 % of golfers (with a fault I guess). I always played with a left to right flight. I'm realising I had a flaw in my swing all my life. The left to right flight was grand, got to 12, but on bad shots went to slice and a lost ball. I can't live with this, if I want to break 80. Surgery required.

To a degree I was coming over the top, this is shown up in drives. Also when I hit the ball hard. By the way have 2 lessons lined up.

I had a moment when I viewed this. Knew this before , but was thinking that could not be me. Sometimes you can see flaws in others, but not yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nej8kaU15fk&feature=fvst

Got to the range and was even getting a draw into ball, big change.

Was happy leaving the range. Was testing a stiff shaft too and hands felt it after hitting 100 drives. I was thinking I should not be changing shaft and working swing, but I'm mad and golfers are mad too. Was happy that in one day could turn ball over to left.

Got out to Corballis yesterday ("The poor man's Portmarnock" Deco123).:). Good crowd out there getting away from the thud and mudd.

Was working from inside on downswing , but a new problem a push or a pull. I have efectively changed my iron swing to solve a driving problem . My irons were grand before , well slight left to right. Was very windy and enjoyed hitting that 2 extra clubs, ball back a bit in stance , then on hole 5 disaster, I hit a 4 iron off tee, then hit an 8 iron thinking of the wind, but the dunes on that hole had shielded the wind and ball went over back. As I went looking for ball, I fell over onto my arse and sprained an old soccer ankle. I looked like Ronaldo on a golf course going down, funny.

Disaster, could not walk for 4 or 5 minutes. A links is not a great place to be with a sprained ankle. Hit green in regulation on next two holes with injury, happy in pain. Got around and headed in at 13. tired and emotional. An injury, a new mixed up swing, a tired body and head.

I'm expecting too much too quick and could damage my game if I'm not careful, will talk to a pro. next week. I need to calm down a bit too, Corballis or Royal Portrush ;) were not built in a day.

I see there are many threads like my own now on here, must become tiresome for all to read my ego filled spout from an average golfer.

Will put the damaged foot up and laugh at the idea of a golfer out with a sprained ankle, not the first , not the last.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭Deco1983

Don't mind those other threads Fixdepitchmark...you are the original and the best

Make sure that game of yours don't get as damaged and your head though.;)

The "look at me threads", have been disregarded recently on boards. I'm writing in a hesitant guarded manner for that reason. A man who talks about his ups and downs, on and off the course , the interchangeability of golf and life. Not the flavour of the month.

I've been reading The Greatest Game Ever Played (Mark Frost). This is one of the most beautifully written books I've ever come across. I've only got to page 100 and I don't want it to end, Harry Vardon what a man, but we all have our flaws too.

The "in to out" swing debate is going strong on boards. It is good for me, as I'm trying to come from inside on downswing now. I find when I swing hard doing new swing, I can actually nearly miss the ball / top it with driver. This is new for me and a bit scary, but I need to stick with it. Today hit 5 / 10 fairways, when I hit it easier with new swing. That is good for me. I feel I'm making progress. But this new swing for drive, has me in two minds over an iron, my irons were ok with a slight fade. I'm at a point where I have a new drive swing and old iron swing, at risk of messing up everything.

Driving to Corballis the sun projected God like rays over The Island, the links of the Gods. The Devil had other plans. Corballis was closed due to vandalism (See other thread). Where I live in Dublin you see these groups of hooded youths, about 15 years of age, they should be in school. The one place in Dublin that I feel away from all the craziness of a city in decay is on the links of Corballis, even that has been taken away now. The lads in Donabate were great at looking after the lost links boys. When a line of Corballis boys called in.

Had a poor front nine 45 and good back nine 42. But doing lots of testing with driver. So happy, but scoring poor, expect to go backwards for a while.

Harry Vardon overcame a difficult poor background to reach the top, I wish the hooded boys would read the book I'm reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I do enjoy your posts/ramblings FixedPitchmark.

The good wife, at ten o’clock last night said, would you not go for a game of golf in the morning, I’m like,” I Iove you”. The way to a golfer’s heart.

Looking at Met Eireann's web page last night, I was unsure, it didn’t look that bad, but If you want to play a good course and pay the money, you will take a look at the weather. I had decided that this winter was a winter of golf, In the past I would have stayed in bed. Perhaps gone out for a few pints last night instead. Read a paper in the morning and drink coffee copiously. I’d listen to Pat Kenny, little did I know a whole other life was taking place on the Links of North County Dublin.

As I was unsure of myself, the weather was uncertain of itself too. The eyes opened at 0700 hrs. Like a child at Christmas, what did the day have in store? I did not even know what golf course I would play. I had decided to treat myself this winter to Royal Dublin, Portmarnock Links, The Island and maybe (if a good boy) Portmarnock. I had not played any of these prior to this winter. I guess when you look at the green fee rates of over 100 euro, it has to be a once off kind of thing (well maybe twice).

Royal Dublin was looking like 75 euro and The Island was 55 euro , so The Island it had to be. I’d never even been through the gate. It was always a bit elusive to me, as a Corballis player in my youth. I know my game is not where it should be and certainly not even near a level where you play The Island. I found very friendly staff, but must admit, was a little disappointed to hear the fairways are not fully in play. It is a pity because after playing the course, you know to hit a fairway is what The Island is about. The inability to hit a ball from them, seems to interfere with the purity of the rare moment. Rare for me indeed.

The shear madness of playing the place was there to be seen when you stand up on the first, there is room, but the sheer size of the dunes is a forewarning of the roller-coaster ride ahead. I got a bit of a flash back to my teens when I spent a few weeks playing Enniscrone. In locations the dunes have an odd sulphurous Mars like feel to them, unearthly in a way.

I was in no rush, like the start of a good pint, so playing alone suited me in a way, it was a pure silent golf experience, only the noise of the sea and birds, the wind, a passing train, a swing, a click, that unique hollow bounce of the ball and club on a links mound.

I’ve been playing around with the swing, so went for a 4 iron on the first, wrong shot, I did not see till the second that I had left the driver in the car. Perhaps this is what all should do when playing The Island. The car park is at the back of the 5th (there is a temporary stunning par 3 at 4th at the moment), my off course driver damage was back on track by the 8th.

I’ve been carrying a bit of weight for too long and working on core strength and fitness; I’m trying to make sure my body holds up to the extra golf I’m playing. Even walking the cart path on The Island has its risks, little holes or damaged surface can easily have you falling over. Looking for a ball in the dunes is an injury waiting to happen, I don’t know how the members do it all their life, perhaps they keep it straight, the wisdom of age and playing links golf for life.

I absolutely loved the place, when I saw the 2nd Hole I was smiling, this is a golf course. I know that Links golf is not everybody’s cup of tea, hidden hollows and mounds are not always rewarding to a good shot. I love getting to know a links and the club and direction to hit, the grain of the green the flow of the land. I know this is not going to happen just turning up to a place like The Island, it is a life time relationship. At least 4 good shots ended up in bad places, bunkers, off the green, in the rough. But you also get good bounces too, the laws of averages dictate that over a life, it will all work out. A bit like life in a way.

I’ve played Portmarnock Links now and The Island, 2 down 2 to go. I’m a little worried that Royal Dublin and Portmarnock will not live up to The Island. It is the first course that I would jump at joining, but is 20km of a drive each way. Is this a runner these days ? Others have spoken about the drive to the course, on other threads here.

On 13 you stand on tee and can see one of the little gems of the north side. Malahide village is in full view, you can also see the ugly stains of the Celtic Tiger.
    There are just so many great golf holes. 1, 2, Temp 4, Real 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17. 18. It just seems crazy to name 13 holes as great golf holes, but it is crazy good. I didn’t even get to play all the holes. I Played from the green tees , forward. Holes 5 and 6 are closed for work, 16 is a temp green.

I played some holes well, I had an amazing drive on 12 and 17. I hit a 340 yard drive on the 17th, wind behind, elevated tee and good bounce, still put a smile on my face , could tell by the sprinkler head as they are marked, always the sign of a great place to play golf. I was in trouble off the tee on holes 3, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 18. Hard to play good golf when you are in that much trouble. But loved it, even loved playing some of the rough. Some of the rough is not that bad, in other parts you are just gone.

I only had 5 pars, this is a shocker for me, but it was the most enjoyable day on a course in about 20 years. Shot a 92, which makes a joke of trying to break 80. I’m not a sub 80 player at the moment and played average to poor , mid 80s would be a great round of golf on The Island for most players. I only had 5 pars. I need to play it again, without the background swing work going on. But every golfer has an excuse if they look for one. I am the golfer I am, a poor one at the moment.

As the course went on:

As the back nine progressed it got better and better and said hello to the sea and Malahide Estuary. The course changes and has great variety in length and a great high dune dramatic finish. Would I pay over 100 euro ?, yes and will pick my day in the summer. I’ve spent over that in Temple Bar, but have not had as much fun on a course in nearly 20 years. Perhaps I’m being too upbeat with a bad game on a great course, perhaps if I play it again, it will be a different experience. Days like that when you feel like that don’t come too often, run with it. Off for a swim. A new day, a new way, a new life. My life above 90 will be short lived I hope;), but with a day like that, who cares.

No man is an Island, but The Island is not even an Island.
    http://www.theislandgolfclub.com/home/Ranking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Jees that sounds nice, gonna have a look now, gotta play it this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

You're wasted on here FixedPitchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

link_2007 wrote: »
    You're wasted on here FixedPitchmark.

Surely he's only had one or two shandies? :D

Nice review fdp.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Surely he's only had one or two shandies? :D

Nice review fdp.

Lol.

Yes , having a wine now to calm down. I would have scored ten shots better with two pints in me, like pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

A true poet fixdepitchmark! Good review of the Island. Personally I think it is disppointing that they don't allow play from the fairways during the winter (particularly given the fact that we have had a particularly dry winter) and one can hop accross the fence to play Corballis, on the same stretch of links land and with a far greater volume of traffic on the fairways these months, with no winter measures and for less than half the price.

Keep up the good work and the eloquent reviews, always a good read.

• Advertisement

acejeff wrote: »
    A true poet fixdepitchmark! Good review of the Island. Personally I think it is disppointing that they don't allow play from the fairways during the winter (particularly given the fact that we have had a particularly dry winter) and one can hop accross the fence to play Corballis, on the same stretch of links land and with a far greater volume of traffic on the fairways these months, with no winter measures and for less than half the price.

Keep up the good work and the eloquent reviews, always a good read.

I didn't want to come down too hard on them for it, but I do agree with you there , this was in my mind for a good few holes. It looks like they use the time to pitch fork the ground.

I had not played and I guess the members are the ones to give a view (or a good greenkeeper), if it is only two months and gives 10 months of great golf, fair enough. It is a bit pricey too (even at 55) , but I will now look in from my first love Corballis, thinking, perhaps the grass is greener on the other side of the tracks.

Will hit it again in Feb and try hit mid 80s. A good round there, I'll warm up back at Corballis, the childhood playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

This is a lovely thread and in particular I love your writing style. You remind me of how my own father writes....he too is stuck on a golfing goal - to break 90 (again)..it's the same roller-coaster regardless of the number though.

Personally, I play off 12 and have broken 80 only twice, the second one being a 78. If this is your #1 goal, would it not be easier playing across the road in Donabate? I say that as links can be so unfair at times rather than a dig at Donabate.

I shot my 78 last April and to do it I practiced my short game for 1hr and 45 minutes before teeing off for several weeks in a row. (I play once a week, so I was down there chipping & putting at 7am and teed off at 9am). It made a huge difference...I knew when I got to the green I had a good short game so it took pressure off my driving & irons. I have only recently gone back playing again and the driving & irons need a lot of work, but interestingly the short game is decent enough...just something to think about. Best of luck though and keep writing!

Loire wrote: »
    This is a lovely thread and in particular I love your writing style. You remind me of how my own father writes....he too is stuck on a golfing goal - to break 90 (again)..it's the same roller-coaster regardless of the number though.

Personally, I play off 12 and have broken 80 only twice, the second one being a 78. If this is your #1 goal, would it not be easier playing across the road in Donabate? I say that as links can be so unfair at times rather than a dig at Donabate.

I shot my 78 last April and to do it I practiced my short game for 1hr and 45 minutes before teeing off for several weeks in a row. (I play once a week, so I was down there chipping & putting at 7am and teed off at 9am). It made a huge difference...I knew when I got to the green I had a good short game so it took pressure off my driving & irons. I have only recently gone back playing again and the driving & irons need a lot of work, but interestingly the short game is decent enough...just something to think about. Best of luck though and keep writing!

And that is a lovely comment , I must admit that writing is not in my comfort zone. A weak spot. Due to a few things in 2011, I decided to go outside my comfort zone. There is no point in looking back and saying , I could have , I should have.

Loire, fair play on that hour and 45 minutes before, that is pro like.

I'll take the compliments when they are there , you are always one shot or shank away from a downfall here.

With regards to the figure 80 and Donabate, I'll be back on to people to get their views. I'm looking at it as +7 on a course. When I look at it now on the screen it puts a fear in me. Perhaps this is unrealisitc. It is uncomfortable outside my comfort zone.

I'll hold off untill I have something to say again, thanks to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Hi FDP,
    You seem to be pretty confident with hitting your 4-iron. Have you considered using that for your tee shots instead of automatically reaching for the driver? How about an experiment? Leave the driver at home next time you get out. Compare then with previous rounds.

It might be worth writing down a strategy or game plan for the course you play most often and try to have the discipline to stick with it.

For example, if the hole is 400+ yards then hit a 5-wood off the tee or if it's less that 400 then use a 4-iron. etc.

I'm currently working on doing a 'Montgomerie'* with my driving off the tee.
    Which means, I aim at the left portion of the fairway and make a repeating swing. If my left knee holds (I have a bad habit of collapsing the left knee during the follow through which promotes a hook/pull!!) for the follow through then depending on my timing I hit it pretty straight. Worst case scenario is a slice into the right hand fairway/rough.

Trying to workout a plan for hitting tee shots is only part of the solution as we're all aware. Drive for show, Putt for dough consistently breaking 80. ;)

* This was Monty's thinking when hitting a Driver.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Hi FDP,
    You seem to be pretty confident with hitting your 4-iron. Have you considered using that for your tee shots instead of automatically reaching for the driver? How about an experiment? Leave the driver at home next time you get out. Compare then with previous rounds.

It might be worth writing down a strategy or game plan for the course you play most often and try to have the discipline to stick with it.

For example, if the hole is 400+ yards then hit a 5-wood off the tee or if it's less that 400 then use a 4-iron. etc.

I'm currently working on doing a 'Montgomerie'* with my driving off the tee.
    Which means, I aim at the left portion of the fairway and make a repeating swing. If my left knee holds (I have a bad habit of collapsing the left knee during the follow through which promotes a hook/pull!!) for the follow through then depending on my timing I hit it pretty straight. Worst case scenario is a slice into the right hand fairway/rough.

Trying to workout a plan for hitting tee shots is only part of the solution as we're all aware. Drive for show, Putt for dough consistently breaking 80. ;)

* This was Monty's thinking when hitting a Driver.

Thanks foxyboxer (some name by the way).

I did do this for a while, had a few 83s and 84s. I must admit I found it frustrating hitting a 4 iron, but yes a better round of golf. Driving was my favourite club in my youth. The silly dreams of youth.

The inability to hit the driver made me look at my swing, it made me realise that I had a flaw. The left to right movement was in all irons too, not as bad, but a flaw. I decided I was never going to be the golfer I want to be unless I made a big change. I may regret this as perhaps I won't be able to change or go back. I would also regret not trying when I was young enough, I'd be looking at leaked irons and tee shots in my 40s going "Only If". I still think I would enjoy the game , but balls are expensive and regrets can't be bought back. ;).

I don't think it is realistic that I will consistently break 80, considering my work life balance. I'll just be happy to know I can do it if I try.

I'll put my hands up and say the driver has become an obsession , this could be my downfall, but if you live by the driver you die by the driver.The driver is pulling and pushing whilst the putting is collapsing

I know my "look at me" thread is very self-absorbed and a bit dreamy. But , nothing wrong with going outside your comfort zone.

So, thread softly on my thread, you thread on my dream.

Thanks again,

First shot in the golf today I watched was a hole in one by Sergio. He said it was his first in Euro Tour. Even the best have dreams. Different dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I don't know about the 4 iron strategy...fine if the hole is very short with lots of trouble, but on the longer holes you will find it hard to make pars....you'll probably be hitting 2 4 irons on most holes and will likely have a very low Green in Regulation figure which means you must get up and down a lot. Perhaps a lesson with the driver might help or even choking down on it to hit something lower that will run...even doing this should give you 20 yards more than a perfect 4 iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Loire wrote: »
    I don't know about the 4 iron strategy...fine if the hole is very short with lots of trouble, but on the longer holes you will find it hard to make pars....you'll probably be hitting 2 4 irons on most holes and will likely have a very low Green in Regulation figure which means you must get up and down a lot. Perhaps a lesson with the driver might help or even choking down on it to hit something lower that will run...even doing this should give you 20 yards more than a perfect 4 iron.

Good point.

I guess I'm looking at it from a competitive "I have a shot on this hole" point of view and not from the OP's net score quest, where taking the 2 * 4-irons towards the green would be the sensible option and doing no worse than a bogey for a net par and 2 points.

I've always felt that the Driver is a 'Blue Tees' club which implies that if you're playing from there it stands to reason that you can hit the driver pretty well. Driver is fun on the practice range but potentially deadly to a scorecard on the course.

For the purpose of the OP's 'project' of scoring a sub 80 Net score the 4 iron tee shots maybe inadequate as suggested. Perhaps mastering 3 wood tee shots might be the antidote here with less to go wrong overall using the "Montgomerie" technique outlined above?

You can take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, and it may seem very basic and obvious, but there is a simple model used throughout the engineering industry for a whole host of different problems. It is called the DMAIC model. Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control and proves successful time and time again.

It breaks a problem into 5 key areas to get a resolution.
    Q. If you were to look at your inconsistent driving issue, what are you really looking for??
    A. You are really looking for the root cause.

This model should help you here then.

Define Problem:

Driving inconsistency

Measure Problem.

Slicing consistently.

Analysis problem:

Go to teaching pro with your slicing issue to get to root cause.

Improve issue:

Implement new change and practice it.

Control issue:

Devise a routine/set up procedure etc, to allow you to control the issue going forward

My point here is simple really. To fix an issue you need to understand what is causing the issue (root cause). Until you understand what is causing the issue, you will never fix it permanently.

You can take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, and it may seem very basic and obvious, but there is a simple model used throughout the engineering industry for a whole host of different problems. It is called the DMAIC model. Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control and proves successful time and time again.

It breaks a problem into 5 key areas to get a resolution.
    Q. If you were to look at your inconsistent driving issue, what are you really looking for??
    A. You are really looking for the root cause.

This model should help you here then.

Define Problem:

Driving inconsistency

Measure Problem.

Slicing consistently.

Analysis problem:

Go to teaching pro with your slicing issue to get to root cause.

Improve issue:

Implement new change and practice it.

Control issue:

Devise a routine/set up procedure etc, to allow you to control the issue going forward

My point here is simple really. To fix an issue you need to understand what is causing the issue (root cause). Until you understand what is causing the issue, you will never fix it permanently.

Fair play Irish Bloke, I don't work in that area but love the logical approach.

Would life lack a bit of a colourful route if we did things so logically all the time ? :)

I'll sit down and work out a plan, a new plan. Off to putting green for last hour, was just a random idea.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Fair play Irish Bloke, I don't work in that area but love the logical approach.

Would life lack a bit of a colourful route if we did things so logically all the time ? :)

I'll sit down and work out a plan, a new plan. Off to putting green for last hour, was just a random idea.

Thanks.

No problem, I certainly agree life would lack colour if we were to look at everything so logically.

Its just an approach I find useful when looking at problem solving.

Maybe Ive too much work on the brain at the moment….:)

Advertisement