Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Well done. You see - I told you that it would happen soon.

My suggestion on how to keep this thread and the enjoyment going is that you post back here every time you break 80 from now on.

Now how's about that for an incentive !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

IanPoulter wrote: »
    Well done Fix.

It's funny how in the past you've shot great front 9's and folded but you've actually done it with a 7 over front 9 and a 1 over back 9. I think you relaxed on the back 9 when you thought your chance was gone. You weren't thinking of the score till you birdied 15 and realised you had a chance. But in fairness you kept it together well on the last 2.

Must have been a lot of s**t going on in your head for that 6 footer ;)

I agree with that - it was a a mental thing. I've had 36, 37
    , 38s on nine holes. My preparation for rounds is poor too.

Thanks Ian.

BTW - tees being forward does bother me - will fix that in summer - thanks.

Kace wrote: »
    Well done. You see - I told you that it would happen soon.

My suggestion on how to keep this thread and the enjoyment going is that you post back here every time you break 80 from now on.

Now how's about that for an incentive !!

Lol - maybe - maybe never again. Thanks Kace. Not the worst idea yet - but the emotional link is gone.

The funny thing is, I went to range today and am hitting it as well as i ever have. I just seems like the body single axis rotation is perfect - slight hook when i go OTT or outside - but next one bang at target. Great stuff. :D

Thanks again.

ForeRight wrote: »
    You do have the ability.

It's all in the hips fixy. The ball wants to go home, his bags are packed just send him home.

Don't ever forget that!

ForeRight thanks for the help with the thread and the fridge - love you :p

Loire wrote: »
    Congrads. Keep saying "I broke 80" again & again to yourself dude. What a smashing place to do it too. If I'm being honest, given what you've gone through, I'd have probably taken a week off work and played Leopardstown 3 times a day to do it!

Well done again and I'd bet you'll break 80 again in 2012, weather permitting.

Your writing style is excellent and Kevin Markham could do worse than take you along for a few of the better courses for his next book ;).

Loire.

Loire - I would like to thank you personally. You really helped me when I felt like giving up and you were full of great ideas.
    I don't know about the writing thing - I'm more a maths man - and just full of ****. It was just a good laugh.

Thanks for everything - :)

Jaysus this is a long goodbye to the thread - just wanted to thank each person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ForeRight thanks for the help with the thread and the fridge - love you :p

I love you too man. I love you and your fridge

fridge.gif

I love you too man. I love you and your fridge

fridge.gif

Cool down a bit - I could go icy on you.

Cool down a bit - I could go icy on you.

Don't start playing hard to get now just because you are a bit hot shot sub 80 man.

Don't forget who was here with your through all those dark days shooting poxy 81's and 82's like all the hackers out there.

You're a stonecutter now.

Don't start playing hard to get now just because you are a bit hot shot sub 80 man.

Don't forget who was here with your through all those dark days shooting poxy 81's and 82's like all the hackers out there.

You're a stonecutter now.

To be honest ForeRight - I don't really talk to people who shoot over 80 now - As Bertie said "spanners the whole lot of them".:p

To be honest ForeRight - I don't really talk to people who shoot over 80 now - As Bertie said "spanners the whole lot of them".:p

Peasants they are :):):)

I make them put the ball on my tee for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Jaysus this is a long goodbye to the thread - just wanted to thank each person.

You're a gent and well deserving of Ireland's best ever golf thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Never really posted in here Fix but followed it from time to time and I'm delighted for you. Hopefully now you can stay down in the 70's and beyond.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Round
    Front 42
    Back 37
    Putts 30 (2 3 Putts)
    GIR 1 front, 5 on back.
    Hmm sounds like there were a good few up and downs there and only 1 birdie ;)

Well done, keep it up now and hit the ground running for the "summer"!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hmm sounds like there were a good few up and downs there and only 1 birdie ;)

Well done, keep it up now and hit the ground running for the "summer"!

Thanks GreeBo - we had our "ups and downs" (puntastic:p)

But- fair play, you putting up with stuff here that was only tenuously linked to golf most of the time.

See you at the boards outings and I'll sort out that wedge problem for you, stand tall man - get the lie angle bang on ,or get your wedges' lie angles changed :p (only joking)

Thanks for tips on course mgmt. I would never play golf exactly like you , but would take a bit of it and blend it into my game - a par five the other day I played driver , 7 iron, 9 iron. A year ago, it would have been driver go for green. I think links golf needs a bit more imagination or flexibility. The situations you get into on links courses are sort of once off and can't have an advanced plan. Bump and runs, deep bunkers, high coastal wind, long chip and runs, using banks on fairways and greens.

I go up a club in rough now and my 3 wood I can hit, but will only come into my game when my swing basics are improved more.

I only had 9 drives the other day, would have been 14 in the past. There is one hole I don't even go for in two now , a year ago I would have given up golf if I ever dreamt of that. That is Ode to GreeBo.

So fair play - you helped me there and when I went a bit mental here. Thanks.

Your not bad for a Southsider. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Congrats FDP....Takes guts to live out your ordeal and effort in a public forum

jmorrisey wrote: »
    Congrats FDP....Takes guts to live out your ordeal and effort in a public forum

Or self indulgent nazel-gazing stupidity.

Thanks.
    :)
    This is like a bloody Oscar Speech now - I'd like to thanks my Mam and Dad, NAMA and my dog Lady who died when I was 12. God, she helped me so much .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Im only reading this now fixy. I took a break from the forum seen as there hasn't been much golf to be played lately. I can't believe it. Im delighted for you. Im sad that this thread has come to an end. Well... more a conclusion than an end i suppose. Great stuff. Keep up the good work id say the weight lifted from your shoulders is immense.

Turn up the volume...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

oh yeah, don't do a tones on it and not post again after achieving your goal. I want to hear how you get on from here and how you are going to be breaking 80 consistently!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

charlieIRL wrote: »
    oh yeah, don't do a tones on it and not post again after achieving your goal. I want to hear how you get on from here and how you are going to be breaking 80 consistently!!

Was wondering where that lad had got to.

With the way his handicap was going down, I assumed he had received his tour card and was too busy to post these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well done FDP from another golfer who felt your pain all along the way! I really wondered if you would ever make it. Now you can relax and as others have said you'll probably start shooting them regularly now.

My turn next year! I have shot two sub-40 front nines in the last month so no excuses for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

He's starting a new thread:

My Life (Sub 80, in Summer, no Placing, on a Par 72) :p

Sorry FDP - only messin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

IanPoulter wrote: »
    He's starting a new thread:

My Life (Sub 80, in Summer, no Placing, on a Par 72) :p

Sorry FDP - only messin :D

I'm glad he took my advice and stood proud regardless of winter rules

Go team fixy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Congratulations on reaching your goal, it was a fascinating journey. Golf is often touted a selfish game but the huge support shown for your endeavours by the posters here clearly demonstrates that golfers are indeed a truly sporting bunch. They clearly support the true sporting ideals of fairness, help and camaraderie that is the very foundation of sport, no matter what the talent of the participant.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Good post that ^

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

the lawman wrote: »
    Good post that ^

Yeh but not as good as your sub 80 today ....😄

I’m trying to finish the thread and it keeps getting bumped (lol). Fair play "the lawman" on your score, great score for your first time. I’ve taken a bit of time off golf and plenty of work and family stuff I’m catching up on. I’ve just hit the driving range the odd time to keep the engine ticking over, keep it primed. It will be as interesting to see how quickly I lose my game, if at all. I hope it will be a more solid base for my golf swing in the future and not so high maintenance – but I’m not sure about this. The swing I have now is still relatively new and in transition at the time of breaking 80. Hence the poor score on front 9 on the day.

It is daft to say this. I put a huge effort in over the last 2 months of this. I felt a few little niggles and pains, lower back, right elbow, neck muscles. I know – ridiculous! But, I had upped the amount of practice I was doing, to too much, this with only little thoughts on body and flexibility and exercises etc. The way I was practicing was very sporadic and opportunistic. To improve any more, you would need a bit more of a plan. A bit more support and a bit more of looking after yourself. Look, I know it is just bloody hitting a ball, but when you up the practice, it is amazing how you can feel it.

By support, I would mean, joining a club, playing with better players, more coaching, looking after your body (not mad gym work), just look after yourself a bit. In hindsight and foresight and blindsight, it was a crazy way I did this. I would have done it in half the time, if I just joined a club, played one course and played Stableford every week, with better players. It was a totally stupid way to do it, but added to the laugh. I also got to play and see, some of the most amazing courses and places in the country (North and South).

I would agree with Peter’s sentiments, about the way golfers have a common sense of camaraderie. This was a total unexpected outcome of the thread. I just started the thread for help. When you are on the course and you hear peoples reaction to a great shot, it is a special part of the game, it is from a part of the mind where for a split second, there is no jealousy, just admiration, a sort of subliminal reaction. On the other hand, to be very good (not what I was at) I mean top level, at any game or sport, there has to be a selfish part of your personality. I’m not playing at a very high level, more a hobby. I could see through this process, that to improve any more, I would have to start to give up / impact on very important parts of my non golf life.

It was talked about early on, the significance of golf in a person’s life. It can be, just a passing thing for some, a hobby, a serious hobby, a way of life, a full life, a profession for others. It is a wide spectrum and a fascinating aspect of golf and the golf forum here. So the balance between life and golf is a full topic, deserving separate discussion. You often hear lads going on about the other half here, in a joking way. But, it is a reality of the age profile when people are trying to take up golf. It is difficult for most to improve at a certain stage of their life. This must be a real killer for lads who are off low single figures.

So where to next? I haven’t had enough time to reflect, hence the premature reflection. For a few moments of madness, I was thinking, “go on”, “go for 75”. How much more work would it be? The putting was improving, the up and downs can improve much, the deterioration of my driving, is due to a poor shoulder turn and hip action. The last part would be another 3 to 6 months work and about 5 lessons to fix. My irons would improve also, as a consequence.

Then I wake up and have a good chat with myself and say, but what would you do when you shot 75. There is no point in turning the thing you love into a job, into a number, into target. It is not work. It is something that you hope to play with your friends and enjoy in your forties, in your fifties in your……..

But I do love a good challenge. ;):)

Thanks again lads – will let ye know If I break 80 in summer, sorry for replying and bumping thread , just feel it would be impolite not to, after all the help form all. Alrite Chief thanks a mill, wine on me, when I see ya.

The computer was broke for a week or so - I was in the pub a fair bit too. :)

My remaining ambition in life is to end up the character in the bar, The Star in hand, betting on golf. And telling all who will listen,

“Did I ever tell you the story, about the time I broke 80?”

“Ya did, thousands of times - now f%ck off”. :p

Fridgedepitchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

FDP, surely you will join a club now? I think it's absolutely bonkers that you haven't joined somewhere considering how often you play!

Just read Dream On over the Christmas, A bloke went from shooting in the 100s to try break par in one year. Nice little book. It was head in hands at times; you were thinking the guy would end up with no job or family. I won’t ruin the end, other threads on here about it.

The parallels with my own experience are uncanny. The injuries, the doubt, the swing changes, ignoring the putting and short game, the pressures of not going too far with work or family. I’m glad I had never read the book before, it would have shaped my own experience too much.

What the author took on was far more extreme, but he did stick to the one course. He admits his golf game was very limited after and only designed for the one course.

From reading the book and comparing the faults we both made. I realised again the ills of my way. I was told again and again the errors I was making by very helpful contributors to the thread and some very direct. They did rub off in the end. But, you want to try do things your own way and learn from your mistakes. The stubbornness I showed was my greatest obstacle, but also an asset to finish the job. So there was more to this than golf, I discovered a bit about myself in the journey

The author is very critical of the established golfing circles and part of the golf thread community. He points at the idea that a great limit to your targets (In golf or life) are the community you are in. The idea perpetuated by mid to low handicap players, that you can only improve very slowly, he in fact claims that anybody could play off scratch with enough time and effort (anybody).

I have been off golf for 3 weeks now and about to hit the range. I just can’t help what comes into my brain sometimes. If I was to do it again, with the personal experience I had, I could do it in half the time. If I set myself a new golfing goal, I would be so more efficient at improving. I guess you have to be just happy with what you got at some stage. I have to go watch Cinderella first and play Angry Birds Star Wars next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just read Dream On over the Christmas, A bloke went from shooting in the 100s to try break par in one year. Nice little book. It was head in hands at times; you were thinking the guy would end up with no job or family. I won’t ruin the end, other threads on here about it.

The parallels with my own experience are uncanny. The injuries, the doubt, the swing changes, ignoring the putting and short game, the pressures of not going too far with work or family. I’m glad I had never read the book before, it would have shaped my own experience too much.

What the author took on was far more extreme, but he did stick to the one course. He admits his golf game was very limited after and only designed for the one course.

From reading the book and comparing the faults we both made. I realised again the ills of my way. I was told again and again the errors I was making by very helpful contributors to the thread and some very direct. They did rub off in the end. But, you want to try do things your own way and learn from your mistakes. The stubbornness I showed was my greatest obstacle, but also an asset to finish the job. So there was more to this than golf, I discovered a bit about myself in the journey

The author is very critical of the established golfing circles and part of the golf thread community. He points at the idea that a great limit to your targets (In golf or life) are the community you are in. The idea perpetuated by mid to low handicap players, that you can only improve very slowly, he in fact claims that anybody could play off scratch with enough time and effort (anybody).

I have been off golf for 3 weeks now and about to hit the range. I just can’t help what comes into my brain sometimes. If I was to do it again, with the personal experience I had, I could do it in half the time. If I set myself a new golfing goal, I would be so more efficient at improving. I guess you have to be just happy with what you got at some stage. I have to go watch Cinderella first and play Angry Birds Star Wars next.

Yeah, its a nice read alright. I think I might have mentioned it earlier in the thread here as I couldn't help but think of this thread when reading through it. The major range time, turning to short game quite late in the day, etc...

My missus got me a copy of John Updike's "Golf Dreams" for Christmas, looking forward to getting stuck into it shortly. Supposed to be a great read

Advertisement