Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ah drunk posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ah drunk posting!

Lol . No it would take 6 prov1s.

If a bloke came at you and stuck 6 needles in your arse youd be in pub, lol.
    I guess you still love me Ricky .

"i wish i was back home in derry ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭IanPoulter

Quit that driving range ****e. You don't need it. Chipping and putting is all you need to practice - that's where the shots are saved - but you've been told this a thousand times. Take the forced golf holdiday and start reading Bob Rotella books. Improvements will come if you train your mind to focus 100% on each shot and have a clear picture in your mind of the shot your about to play right down to seeing it land and rolling out.

You clearly have a golf swing since you've shot 79. Bad swings normally come from poor preparation or poor thought process. Improving the thought process is the game changer.

I love our chats Ian. Yes the forced holiday Will change things. The club i have joined has a short game area. By the time i get a handicap i hope to be off 10.
    That would be below your own i do believe . Ill be able to give you tips then .
    Only joking- thanks for the push. I just like the long game.

I love our chats Ian. Yes the forced holiday Will change things. The club i have joined has a short game area. By the time i get a handicap i hope to be off 10.
    That would be below your own i do believe . Ill be able to give you tips then .
    Only joking- thanks for the push. I just like the long game.

Where did you join?

• Advertisement

IanPoulter wrote: »
    Where did you join?

I see - must be a secret so

Hurling Back To the Heath

Work in Portlaoise – a meeting ended at lunch time. I looked at the sky blinded by light; I’d love to play a game today. Why bloody not – rang the wife, she said go ahead (See Secret Purchase).

I got back on the golf bike on Saturday with the Boards lads, was very apprehensive about playing Esker Hills, first game back, first time testing the injured back after a month off. I had been warned that my injury was potentially serious and advised to be very careful with it –there were really sound lads on here, who sent me PMs and gave me great advice on what to do – thanks Seve3Iron and ssbob. Amazing the camaraderie and helpfulness to total strangers on here. I was going even more mental than normal worrying about it. (sorry for odd ball posts over last month).

So, Esker Hills was about getting through uninjured – don’t try anything too mad. Delighted to get through it – 27 pts off 11 (lol) – but it was nice to go out with no target but to just stay calm and get through it. Get a bit of confidence back in the body. A great day and enough said about it on other thread. People who are total strangers to each other, impossible and funny to try work out who is who. It is also very strange for locals, when grown men are walking around the club house saying “Rickylovesuall”. Seems like a gay golf convention. Great laugh – a few pints in the mix would be a legend night – but with an online edge. Disclaimer – nothing wrong with a gay golf convention BTW – we will move on.

So on the M7 leaving Portlaoise you have a few options, in my head – The Heath or The Heritage. Such a contrast of time and concept – the old and historic – the new and meteoric. I don’t know why – only back playing, so was not in the mood for a billion miles of course with 2 billion bunkers and NAMA houses. I like a big course and big ideas , but a time and place. I had not got much day light or time – so The Heath it was.

I was made up with my decision – the pro gets up from his lunch , 15 euro a bottle of Coke and a Twix , tries to sort me out for a playing partner has a laugh with me, all in 5 mins. Gives me 3 options to start at 1 - 4 – 10. No problem with walk in casual single golfer at all. Lovely Laois.

On the 4th I caught up with a gentleman in his 50s – nice man, who had a great game. He told me he was from Offaly and I sort of worked out he was a hurler – you could see his timing and strength. Imagine the golfing nation we would be, if every hurler played golf. He was so calm all the time – we played 6 holes together and both upped our game in a quiet little match – we both went 1 over for the 6 holes. He told me in the end he was on the 81 Offaly panel – he had no problem changing to the golf grip when he started after his hurling career -they are amazing.

So was very happy with the game - 40 strokes on front 9 with 1 double , 2 Bog, 6 pars and 1- 3 putt. A big step up from Saturday and nice to be back on track – Played 6 more holes in 3 over – So 7 over for 15 – not too bad. Finished up early – back to life.

During my short time off from the game – I had time to think about where to go next with the game. I need to start playing more competitive golf. I had a read of Bob Rotella – Other lads had mentioned that to me on here. Is interesting and is something I never would have imagined I’d buy into. It emphasises the need to have a calmer approach to golf. Not to be so up and down. I think the manic sort of approach I had to breaking 80, worked in the end. But it is not the way to play consistent good golf. It made me practice too much of the wrong stuff and hit too many balls and this resulted in injury in the end.

So a new, much calmer way for 2013. A bit more respect for the body and more work on the parts of the game that matter. Less golf based on a thread or targets. Just calm enjoyable golf.

I know I go on about the moon a bit – but the sunset and moon today were unreal. Very calming– golf is just a game – a score, is not life and death, it is relaxing and enjoyable. It is about meeting people and seeing places and achieving the magic moment. The funny thing is, when you don’t try or expect all that stuff to happen – it suddenly does.

I think I could see, the Sea of Tranquillity on that moon today. I'm looking anyway.

27th/Sept/2013.

There are days like this, you only dream of, the slight haze. The humid air exposed to autumnal cooling, unique to this time of year in Ireland. The sun fighting a battle you know it has won. Then, you are on the east coast on a rare still day. You are looking across the bumps and hollows of a links – covered in dew.
    The much maligned and sometimes loved Irish weather.

Then you are walking down the first, taking a cowardly 6 iron off the tee, because it is the “% shot”, you end up with a bogey 6 and think of what the driver could have done – the eagle that never was. What ever happens to the scores that never happen ?

So, when I finally broke 80 last time, there was a bit of debate about its validity, Winter rules were in effect, slightly forward tees. Felt wrong, unconvincing at 79.

I didn’t care that much, as it was such a relief to get the monkey off my back, after a monumentally long and mentally fatiguing 13 months. But, with all the range work and effort. The body sort of shut down after that, the foot came off the pedal. Had elbow problem, ankle problem, slight back issue.
    I also had put a bit of stuff at home on the back burner. I felt the wife had put up with enough.

Then with the injuries, I played less, lost a bit of touch and suddenly was playing like a 12 to 15 handicap player again.

I think this is proof, that, my natural range is a sort of a 10 to 12 handicap player and to be in single figures takes a monumental, almost impractical level of commitment from me.

After 7 holes with 2 groups of Swedish lads ahead, I was 5 over , thinking will I skip across to the 15 th and head in. But, in fairness to the blond ones, they waved me on. I practically ran through the two groups resulting in a rushed bogey on 8 and then holed a birdie putt on 9. So turned +5 (40 strokes).

And then it just happened, par, par, par, par, par. – was playing solid golf. Nothing amazing, just regulation. I had been playing well for a few weeks, the putting and short game was improving – but my irons were very solid, and long. It removed the need for Drivers on the shorter, dangerous par 4s.

Then on 15, a monster drive an 80 yard partial wedge, birdie. 4 over at 16th tee. In St. Annes the last 3 are dangerous holes. I hit a poor 5 iron off 16 , but made a great up and down for par.

The 17th is 178 yards, I knew I was hitting the irons well and was a bit pumped – sad as that is. I said, go on, hit the 7 and commit, use the pump (lol, you’d swear I was coming down the last few in a major), pin high – played a lag, took the par.

On the 18th – I was thinking, should I play this as a par 5 (is a par 4) – but it is one of them that the safe shot is not that easy. So feck it, hit driver – big drive , 320 yards. Yes. Wedge in , near birdie – finished.

Looked up into the sky. Thank **** that is over.

So – what next.

A serious lay off from boards (lol and all that pmsl). Has been way too intense. Not to mention the fact, you have a real life outside here – that at times, due to a situation out of my control, was very stressful – I never got into that here. But, people knew from my manic-ness, I had something going on. Let’s just say “The Big C” – someone very close. (All clear so far).

Golf is only a game – it tends to be described in over used obvious metaphors – I was certainly the biggest sinner of that on here.

I was using golf to escape the difficulties of real life. I was so glad of it; I felt at times, it was the only thing that relaxed me. An escapism from fear, anxiety, etc.

At the end – a number in golf means nothing. I was even worried at times that , such an emphasises on a number , was a risk of destroying something I loved. It is not the great shots or scores I will remember (well maybe some) – but the skies, the seas, the snow, the cold, the sunsets, the people, the support I got on here.

To the mods, thanks for putting with my totally eccentric and manic thread/threads.

To the lads who helped me, even when we fell out, over my errors, practicing the wrong things, too much time on the range, not concentrating on putting. Thanks – amazing how people went out of their way to help a stranger. (pms and in thread). Sadly some have moved on, or banned, or moved on in protest ( A crazy place (lol), Gandhi and Biko and Mandela would not have lasted on Boards).

All the mistakes I made, I learnt from them. I’m never going to be a low single digit player. It takes something a bit more. But, I now know how to improve, in a far more efficient way. That is all due to people on her.

So that is it from me, the wife said, would you not go for 72 or less ? – she is unreal. I think she knows, how much golf does for me. But, at this stage, golf owes me nothing – it is time to let golf be golf again, not a number. The funny thing is – perhaps that is the ultimate knowledge, the final secret. The scores will come, if you just let them.

I rang my Dad – He is in hospital at the moment (should be ok) – he was over the moon. He always told me, I could be a single figure player. I guess we never stop looking up to the man, who handed us our first club.

So – see ye around – a few outings next year. But time to relax and rest easy now. It has been a blast.

FixdePitchmark. (Please note it was “Fixde” not “Fixed”)

Front 9 (used Golfshot – ssbob thanks)

Strokes 40 (+5)
    Putts 17
    Fairways 33%
    GIR 44%

Back 9

Strokes 35(-1)
    Putts 15
    Fairways 56%
    GIR 78%

Total 75 (+4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Excellent delighted for you, must find you on GolfShot so I can track your progress!

Hopefully you along with others can now help me break through the 90 barrier(feel like being my shadow writer??)

ssbob wrote: »
    Excellent delighted for you, must find you on GolfShot so I can track your progress!

Hopefully you along with others can now help me break through the 90 barrier(feel like being my shadow writer??)

Thanks man.

Did think of you on 15. I was thinking that it is amazing that you can learn something from every golfer out there. Can be just a word, a reminder. :)

Has sort of ruined me for am. but hey such is life.

On wine now.

Was going to leave this till Monday - but feck it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Thanks man.

Did think of you on 15. I was thinking that it is amazing that you can learn something from every golfer out there. Can be just a word, a reminder. :)

Has sort of ruined me for am. but hey such is life.

On wine now.

Was going to leave this till Monday - but feck it. :)

Should help you for the am really! No pressure now! At least Pete will be watching should you be knocked out of Top 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Good for you Fixede! Always enjoyed your columns but good luck with the (hopefully short) break. I must try to break 90 myself and then head for your target from there...

Take care and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Need to reinvent this thread and call it

My Life (Sub 8.0)

Where fixdepitchmark gets himself below 8.0 handicap!

:eek:

What are you doing to me man.

This already drove me and everybody in My Life nuts.

After a few months of therapy - red wine and meeting real people , I have made small steps. I've spoke to people - changed my swing twice - putter twice.

The façade of internet persona has been diminished.

Jaysus - I'm even forgetting that people who once loved all on here are now gone. ;)

Please don't ever bump this again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Could call it "clinging onto single figures" :)

PARlance wrote: »

Or some handicaps are harder than others - almost as big as your epic thread - the full Us Tour :D:P

:o:o:o:o:o

PARlance wrote: »

Well I said I wouldn't - but have been rather humbled, if possible :) , by the number of people who spoke to me - pm'ed me about posting up again on the thread

But a big day in the golf life.

Well - a bit of news - Down to 6.7. :)

Still seems shockingly low for me. When I think that, 2 years ago - I had no handicap and was struggling off a 12 in a society. All thanks to tips and help from on here. I eventually broke 80 - hit a wall, broke it again , then decided to actually try play as a single figure golfer.
    As I said to somebody, truthfully - this is a handicap way below my natural ability. I'm comfortable from 12 to 15. This is just crazy stuff off this handicap. Embarrassing actually :o

I'll be honest and say, I put more work in than anybody I know into this project/my golf. For so long - I felt this seems to be going nowhere, totally futile. So many ups and downs along the way. But enjoyed the majority of it. Some of the lows were too low , the highs too high.

I've learnt that - I need help from people to improve.
    I'm still very inconsistent and have a poor approach to the game.
    My putting issues have to be and are being tackled.
    You need to be honest about your game.
    Being good at golf - or being a single figure golfer - is more a state of mind than I ever considered relevant.
    Course management is extremely important - but value your strengths, but be more aware of your weakness. Do not ignore it.

The positives.

You can do it and I can do it , with enough effort and time.
    People in general have a desire to see people improve - if they see they are trying. There is a great spirit and camaraderie of the fellow golfer , an empathy. Yes we get frustrated with each other - people losing the run of themselves and being unrealistic about their ability.

But - that frustration, at the heart of it. The majority hope that the other individual can get there.

It is a reaffirming reality, of the positive human condition.

At times when I felt like giving up - it just took, a post , or pm or chat with some on here, or in the real world :eek: to overcome that low. I've established a network outside of my real life and friends, that became advocates of my golfing goal. In a strange and exciting way, this network is now a new real life in formation.

So it was crazy and psychotic at times - way too big an idea to take on at this stage of my life. But - I needed closure on a golf goal in the back of my mind.

At times when I doubted I could do it myself - some on here, or in person said - " I hope you do it" , "Stick at it", "I like the thread".

Yes , threads like this are a pain in the hole, and too self indulgent -
    But, it provided me with a motivation, a help , a release. I know for a fact that it helped me do it. Whatever do it, is at this stage.

So - I'm at another cross roads - like the scene at the end of that movie Castaway. (Rather bizarrely I was on that Island - but that is another happy story).

So , this evening - rather than worrying about - the range or putting , or reverse pivot , or OTT swing, or hooks and next lesson . I walked around the block with the 4 year old on her bike. Only learning about everything in the world - it is so perfect for her now. A joy to watch.

I suddenly realised - I've done it. I'm not saying I'm finished - but I've found a golfing happiness, that I never expected to get to. I know there is always an inherent risk in that realisation. But lads, we are only a bunch of hackers having fun at the end - it is not that serious.

She turned to me and said - Daddy , Can I get an Ice Cream in the shop.

"You definitely can" . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You're a spacer!!!!

In a good way though.

Well done on the cut.

When I got down to 5 last year it took me quite a while to accept that some days I'll be poor and shoot way off my handicap. That's fine I've totally accepted that now as I know on my good days I can shoot under it.

Don't be embarrassed about your low handicap. You've earned it and wouldn't have it if you didn't have the ability to play to it.

One day last week I had 39 points. The next day I had 29 points.
    Both days I went home and spent the afternoon with my daughter and felt the same.
    Happy to be out on the course and happy that the majority of shots are decent.

As you say, we are hackers compared to the game the lads in the tv play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can I have one too?

Fair play Fix, see ya in the real world ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Look don't talk shi**:), that's your level,when you have a bad round insecurity sets in, as foreright says when you get to that level you have earned it, always enjoy watching you play, putting is sh1t though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Fix
    Having only played golf with you for the first time recently in Corballis, well done and fair play to you, I'm delighted when someone gets rewarded after putting the hard work in.

My priorities lay elsewhere right now but I'll certainly buy your book in the golf self help section of all good bookstores!! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ah yes, this brings back memories! Haven't managed to get out for a game yet with you fix, looking forward to the experience.

Always found your musings a pleasure to read. & whilst you've kicked on & moved to the world of 60s golf :D I still haven't cracked that 80 mark. Hope to join you down there this year.

Reality is you've put in a serious amount of work & it's paid off, so fair play to you. No one gets to 7 without hard work effort & determination & you've showed plenty of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

My oldest was 4 yesterday fix, I know exactly what you mean there at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

That's some speech Fix, I wonder was Harringtons as long when he won the open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Congrats FDP. Having read your posts i am still struggling to think that they are from the lad i meet at the boards outings, so zen like from a lad who (no offense) wouldn't look outta place screaming from the stratford end.
    I understand you work shift hours and may have a lot of time on your hands but having a young child takes a lot of work too which shows your commitment to real practice and not just flaking balls.

As for calling yourself a hacker......keep hacking and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Well done Fix, AND WELL DESERVED BOY!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happyhacker

I followed your thread throughout last year and felt compelled to become a boardsie today in order to congratulate you on your achievement - as a fellow traveller with 'the bug' but with precious little free time (work, young family etc) it was great to be able to follow your trials and tribulations.

Well done, well deserved and looking forward to hearing about your quest to break par...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I followed your thread throughout last year and felt compelled to become a boardsie today in order to congratulate you on your achievement - as a fellow traveller with 'the bug' but with precious little free time (work, young family etc) it was great to be able to follow your trials and tribulations.

Well done, well deserved and looking forward to hearing about your quest to break par...

Dream on !!!.....oh wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

how did you do it?? I can barly break 100 these days have got loads of lessons just really struggling. I get a lesson, after 2 mins Im hitting the ball perfect, go away go the range following day start off well then goes down hill,or maybe the following range session, read my notes from lesson try again nothing, its more or less 1 or 2 holes that kills my round with a 8,9,.. or more! yesterday was the index 18! had a 9 par5 I really am in limbo!

@ FIX, just tell me the secret :)

Advertisement