Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads trying to let thread go now - so this is not going to work. :)

I am sticking at it - but time to move on. Will at some stage have a par round.

Thanks everybody for kind words - even not so kind words. To be honest the not so kind words were even a motivation. And a good laugh. I think I always came across way more serious in this, then I am in the real world.

It is not fair to say I was coming from a low level - I'm swinging a golf club since I was 8 or 9. But was self taught. Was all about hitting the ball as far as I could. But we grow old in our 30s :) - I had never tested myself in the handicap area / competitions.

It was really improvement by a 1000 cuts. (And balls). God the number of balls I hit - 90 % a waste of time.

The things that worked (FOR ME)

Thinking about the game and reading Rottella and listening to others.
    A Putting Mat
    Joining a club
    Lessons
    Short game area work
    Playing lots of golf
    Playing with better players - or players with a better approach.
    Playing different types of courses and golf
    Playing in all conditions all winter, both winters.
    Tips from Boards
    Motivation from Boards and lads on it
    Big, Big improvements in Course Management
    Being calmer in important shots - not going for the crazy shots (7/10 rule)
    Accepting you will miss some putts
    Accepting that sometimes good golfer don't look perfect - play perfect.
    Cleaning golf clubs is overrated :p
    At our level - you will have rounds in the 90s - get over yourself.
    Taking a little more time , at range , on putting green.
    Use your time well - don't bang balls. Don't do it.
    The guy in the range next to you is crap - why are you banging a driver. :)
    A bucket of balls is 50 - 75 - well hit planed balls
    Not 100 drives.
    Understand the swing - your swing
    Understand your putting and putter.
    Having good equipment.
    Getting measured for Driver - go up in loft a bit.
    Look at your stats - what is going wrong
    Know your distances - the flag position

Get a pro that suits.
    For me - there was nothing wrong with a fast tempo. For ages I tried to change this, others did too - A great pro said , we will use what you have. It is a strength - why lose it.
    It is ok for me to hit an 8 knowing it is right for me - and not fanny a 7.

It is hard to apportion what influence each part had - but a little improvement in a few of them will have results. A little improvement in 6 or 7 of them and you are flying. Improvement in them all is not possible at our level and time.

But to sum it up. The biggest lesson I learnt was. Be honest with the weakness you have.

It is too easy to ignore your weakness and be afraid of them.
    As a pro said to me, when I was running away from stuff - don't be such a pussy - it is only a game of golf. :D

And sadly - you need to invest a bit of money. I don't want to think about how much money I spent.

Also - support. You need your partner and family to be behind you. A bit of give and take. It can become too much at times.

So a long way to go yet. But , I feel I have the tools now to know when it all goes arse ways again (as it will) - I think I know way more now and how to go about getting Fix - Fixed.

Even if we all know , Fix will never be Fixde. :p

The men in the white coats come in as he refers to himself in the 3rd person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

benny79 wrote: »
    how did you do it?? I can barly break 100 these days have got loads of lessons just really struggling. I get a lesson, after 2 mins Im hitting the ball perfect, go away go the range following day start off well then goes down hill,or maybe the following range session, read my notes from lesson try again nothing, its more or less 1 or 2 holes that kills my round with a 8,9,.. or more! yesterday was the index 18! had a 9 par5 I really am in limbo!

@ FIX, just tell me the secret :)

Well your first mistake is in how you are relaying your plight....mmmm...maybe a bit more like this....(in the spirit of the great man)

"It was best of times, it was the worst of times. A 9 on a par 5....beats 9 to 5 I guess. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

The range my friends. The range where I reach perfection. The range of emotions as hope gives way to despair on the actual course..."

etc etc :D

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Well your first mistake is in how you are relaying your plight....mmmm...maybe a bit more like this....(in the spirit of the great man)

"It was best of times, it was the worst of times. A 9 on a par 5....beats 9 to 5 I guess. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

The range my friends. The range where I reach perfection. The range of emotions as hope gives way to despair on the actual course..."

etc etc :D

lol.

It was such crap at times on here. :D:o

lol.

It was such crap at times on here. :D:o

Twas a great read. You have a lot to live up to when I meet you during the ACC. I'm expecting a cross between Brendan Behan and John Daly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Sorry to drag it back up again fix (i know it's haunting you at this stage)! But I joined the club today in the captain's prize in grange castle.

78 strokes, 42 points. finished bogey bogey which was disappointing, but in the whole played some really great golf today.

Was level par for the front 9, 3 birdies, 3 pars, 3 bogeys.

Told the guy marking not to tell me how I was scoring. He had to speak up on the 17th tee box though & tell me if I finished with 4 points I'd be in with a shout if winning the prize. So I'll give him partial blame for my last 2 holes :)

Anyway, hopefully can kick on from here. Have done it once now so it removes the fear of doing it again.

Didn't hit driver once today, if I can get that back working I'll be leaving shorter irons in & should be able to improve on that.

Chuffed!!!

• Advertisement

Class Space.

Delighted for you. You gave me great help with a few others here.
    I'm sitting here , stunning views across central Spain.

This thread a distant memory now.

I'll have a Crianaza for you later.

At the end of the day it is only a number , a mental block to overcome.
    It is only a game.

But, when you have done it , the views are clearer, the wine has a more satisfying taste.
    (Lol).

The only problem with golf . There seems to be no end point. That in a way is the most important knowledge.

Enjoy - now 75.

Class Space.

Delighted for you. You gave me great help with a few others here.
    I'm sitting here , stunning views across central Spain.

This thread a distant memory now.

I'll have a Crianaza for you later.

At the end of the day it is only a number , a mental block to overcome.
    It is only a game.

But, when you have done it , the views are clearer, the wine has a more satisfying taste.
    (Lol).

The only problem with golf . There seems to be no end point. That in a way is the most important knowledge.

Enjoy - now 75.

Jaysus that's some life you're living fix, Atlantic coast to sunny Spain.

Enjoy the views & the vino!!

Well, at last, a bit of final closure, after the closure of the previous closure – I can say there is categorically, without doubt, no need for this thread, ever again ,for me. But- I have said that a few times now.

Again, what a day for golf, the time of year, the previous rolls are marked on the green, lines and footprints in the early morning dew . Always a threat of fog and mist – always a threat. The dew lines on the putting surface, tell the pains and joys of the previous early morning golfers – the putts holed , missed . They are also, a great way, to give you the lines on the greens. Almost, a cheat in a way.

A Ladies competition was on today – so the other early spring golfers , were starting on 7 (index 1) – Very hard hole to start, over 450 yards par 4 – a par, a great start to my round- I’d only get a par there , about 1 in 8 efforts.

So after yesterday and having a strange run of birdies – didn’t know how my game would be. Surely this game doesn’t just click all at once – after years of trying – years, too many years.

But, I’ve put the work in and on next hole – that idea of now knowing your iron, knowing your actual distance – it must pay off at some stage. And another Birdie and I’m under par again.

Solid golf – in or around regulation – back up to par, then 1 over on my 10 th hole – a bit disappointing, but still 1 over for 10 holes is great golf for me.

Next hole, 2 ladies let me through – I’ve a 10 footer for Bird after another very good mid iron – the type of situation I’ve been getting into, for what, 12 months, maybe more – with far too little in return, good golf was in the background – but I’ve learnt the painfully long hard way, that there is a big difference between good golf and good scoring. Anxiety about this, is the biggest obstacle in this game. A few of my new Boards' friends have told me – you have to convince yourself you’re a good golfer.

Boards is a crazy place – a bit of fun – a bit of comradery – a bit of help – a bit of motivation – a bit anger – a bit of mentoring – a bit venting – a bit of laughing – a bit of life. But it is nice in ("real") life, to have people who genuinely want you to get there – wherever there is. Even if it is only a game. After all that – it is only a game.

Anyway – one of the ladies says , "now see can you putt with an audience" – I had an internal smile , I can’t putt, with or without an audience – (not exactly a Rotella case study) , but I’ve been making these putts the last, the last………….. what, 24 hours , do the same thing , use the line on ball , use new line on new putter , let the ball take the high side, don’t be tentative – bang – a little cheer that only a lady would do , (I love you (lol)) .

Down 18 – a good par, with another putt, giving the hole a good effort at bird. But the secret to this golf was knowing it was a nine iron in – a nine to front – not a nine to a big green, a nine, a full nine , not an eight to back – the new golf mind of "fix" where – I know a little bit more about my golf. Just a little. But perhaps these little details can make a big change to you score in this game.

Down 1 (my 12th) – and it starts – Bird from a great greenside Bunker up and down – next hole , perfect 8 iron distance out – another bird from 9 feet. Perfect distance 7 iron to about 8 feet on next hole.

This is a very strange round of golf – I’m under par , I’ve never had a par round - the Amygdala hijack was in full flow – "bastard brain". So I calmed – looked at putt and went – this is an easy putt – line – line , higher side – be positive , bang . Another, 3 birdies in a row (as had 3 in a row day before).

In the back of my horrible mind – next to Ireland losing to Italy in 1990 – I’m now, 3 under with 3 to go. This is categorically, absolutely, ridiculously absurd. Play has slowed to a stop – a bad thing , but need to calm down. I look behind and see a guy with his wife/partner caddying behind. Clearly tourists – green jumper for Paddy’s week . Clearly "Yanks!" – I say to myself , well I should join them, I like "yanks" . I wait , a good looking player – he pars the hole I just birdied . Putting from off green , clearly knows his links.

I say hi – want to join me , But, I’ve 3 holes to go.

"Yes sure" – " I’m Niko from Finland – this Margirito" – " Cool , you over for Paddy’s Day ?" – " We didn’t even know it was Paddy’s day " . " Ever on a links before" – " No first time". Never judge a book and all that :D. The Irish are not as important as they think.

We bang away with drivers well, on the next, a par 4. He just happens to say to me how am I playing , I reply rather hesitantly – "emmm, ,having the round of my life (-3) with 3 to go" , what a strange thing to hear – lol , he is playing well himself.

I hit an ok wedge – and have another 20 footer for Bird – but a little man is saying, sure take your par here – but it tracks hole all the way – Niko goes "go in " , just 1 inch short. Well, birdie run is over – lol, last week a Bird run for me, was a different meaning all together – it didn’t involve golf.

So, 2 holes to go– and I’m thinking , well come on , at least a par round now – but sadly – my last 2 holes, have water right, OB Left – OB long, and OB right on last and gorse. You honestly couldn’t pick a worse place to finish, except maybe the first hole I played.

I hit Hybrid well enough , but end right in the middle of 2 clubs out – I hit a poor shot and fail to get up and down – here we go , the mind is at it again.

So last hole – just one more half decent 7 iron to a par 3 – only OB can kill me now. Why does the mind do this stuff – I haven’t hit a bad mid iron all day – yet on last 2 holes , I ended up hitting 2 bad mid irons. It is drifting right – wants to hold – but gets a links kick off RHS, toward OB –no – no – no – no – no , bunker saves me from OB.

I’m not liking this now- sort of falling over the line. I start thinking – ok you are still on for an under par round – even with a bogey.

I wasn’t happy with my bunker play for the last while – so practiced them as part of my short game work, over last month – amazing what practice can do.

It was a little too short of a full shot, 7-8 yards for a full flat out swing, so that mid distance one that can be a little tricky – I open up blade and make a great 3/4 swing. Up in air, lands lovely and start rolling toward hole – yes towards ,towards, towards hole -
    Niko shouts "geettt innn" – I shout "yes you ****".

I Laugh – what a bizarre end to a mad 24 hours of golf – 6 birds in one round and 10 in 36 holes. Never – ever, anything like it.

A 68 – 3 under, best round , best 9 (4 under for real front). Niko – my new best mate and his partner are laughing – they were talking a bit of Finnish earlier – and clearly know what has happened. Funny , he gives me a smile – a golfers' smile.

As I walked off ,a heavy fog descended on the course – almost unplayable , I had just got in, in time. The fog seems perfectly apt for what this project was at times – never looked like a clearing was coming. Was messy – all over the shop, too long and a bit of a disaster.

A reminder that sometimes in life – you have one chance , you got to take it when it is there. Maybe the chances are not as often as you think. I had felt my chance was gone.

I had a nice lunch and then picked up my daughter. My nearly 5 year old girl asked me – "what did I get for my best round" – only kids have questions and truths, that have no answers.

I told her. After thinking about the insignificance of it all.

"I got something for myself."

Told the wife – she is a legend , she smiled and said 59 next.:D

I told her – no I’m happy with that.

So there you go – I doubted myself for long periods – that was always the problem in a way.

Yes it is not counting – Yes it was perfect conditions – Yes it was slightly forward on 3 or 4 holes.

I know behind it all – I’m a sort of a 9/10 handicapper – but I wanted just one day more to remember. A day the Sun and Moon and Stars aligned and all that rubbish.

A laugh – undoubtedly this bizarre eclipse will pass. But such is life.

P.S.

Thanks again to all who helped – on here and in the "Real World". – They know who they are.

I got a few good friends and great rounds of golf, I could only have dreamt of, on courses and days, I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whosyourcaddy

That's amazing golf. Well done. My turn next hopefully ☺

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well done, doubt I'll ever break par but sure you never know....actually I do know, won't happen.

Just thinking, all downhill now!!! :D:pac::D

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Well done fix. Great achievement and one you deserve with all the hardwork you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Savage to hear Fix, God help your opponent tomorrow. I think your being to harsh saying your really a 9/10 handicapper, I'd say the opposite I'd say your a 3/4/5 handicapper. -3 is a serious score. You were playing with them GI irons for far too long!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Fantastic golfing Fix, thoroughly deserved!

Repeat after me, I AM A GOOD GOLFER...

sergio-garcia-luke-donald-and-justin-rose-celebrate-their-amazing-ryder-cup-victory-128634426.jpg

Amazing news fix, and a fantastic read. You're a mad man if you think you're a 9/10 handicap, I don't know any lads with a handicap in that region that are shooting under par rounds, and certainly not around a tricky tight links.

Hard work paying off & a lesson to any of us on here, if you put in the time & commitment you can achieve your targets.

Only have to add a board's outing win now & you'll have the list complete.

Your odds have to have just shortened considerably :D

Love the reaction from your missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Well done Fix, an absolutely staggering round of golf. Down to play with you on Saturday, looking forward to seeing you in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Amazing what you can do with an OTT swing, crap short game and an inability to putt ;)

Nice to have the Finnish there for the finish. You need someone to witness it. And all the better for them that they'll never see you, or have to hear about it from you, again :)

G'man Fix, at the risk of being too nice....you deserve it!
    Animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Fix. You are some man to tell a story. I'm delighted for you well done great shooting. Hopefully when we meet again in a pub I can buy you a nice creamy pint and a slap on the back for your great round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

46 points Fix.... What are your thoughts on that?

Can't let you away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

I like to think that I played my part in this.
    After all, if a chancer like me can give you a game and get the odd birdie and par, it must have clearly demonstrated that a fine golfer like yourself, is well capable of beating par.
    Well done mate.
    And you're welcome.
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    46 points Fix.... What are your thoughts on that?

Can't let you away with that.

I fully retract all previous statments about 46 points, as not being rational. :P

I love anyone from now on who gets 45+ - will kiss them in winners circle.

But - in a way, I was right, because - nothing about this round was rational.

Now - If I had come in with that round and lost. :D:D:D

By the way - just got a call from a team to go to ACC ;). Things looking up.

Day 1 - "who the hell is your man", good drinker - "but 27 points" :rolleyes:
    Day 2 - 34 points - did you see his OTT swing :eek:
    Day 3 - 35 Points - jaysus - if he could putt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Congrats on such a great score and the eloquent narrative.

Now its time for this

axe-clipart-red-axe_Clipart_svg_File.svg

Surely a front runner on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Well Fixde all I can say is congrats. Now don't even try to justify a HC of 9 when shooting a 68.
    Just imagine the low scores if you'd turned to the sort game sooner?
    Now next time we chat at an outing, don't ask me why I'm not in single figures yet!
    You know the answer, my short game is crap.
    Anyway hope the beer tastes a little bit sweeter now that yourself and PH are back. Congrats

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Well Fixde all I can say is congrats. Now don't even try to justify a HC of 9 when shooting a 68.
    Just imagine the low scores if you'd turned to the sort game sooner?
    Now next time we chat at an outing, don't ask me why I'm not in single figures yet!
    You know the answer, my short game is crap.
    Anyway hope the beer tastes a little bit sweeter now that yourself and PH are back. Congrats

Thanks All.

There was many things at once. Equipment was a factor.

But a few months ago - had an honest chat with myself and a few others.

went from 80 % long , 20 % short practice.
    To 20 % long 80 % short.

In fairness I underestimated that my long game base was a low player. I was always chasing an unrealistic long game.

Then - I noticed something - every time I went to putting greens or short game areas - they were empty. Said a lot to me.

I'll be honest - gave this thing a serious push the last 2 months.

But - today was part freak to be honest.

Brilliant...well done.....well deserved

So...proof that custom fitting works....go for a fitting...shoot -3 :D

But more importantly...can we get back to working on that driver swing :eek: :D:D:D:D:D

Alx - I was taking notes on all driver distances for you on first 4 - then added "dynamic loft" on 8 , of course looked like and was a balloon - and went 220 yards (lol) - 8 iron in and birdie - so you played your part in my shortest drive (lol) and Bird number 1.

I take notes over the last few weeks on iron shots and exact distance it went. I don't do this with anyone else around.

By the way - best fitting ever, do nothing - work on angle of attack.

Alx - I was taking notes on all driver distances for you on first 4 - then added "dynamic loft" on 8 , of course looked like and was a balloon - and went 220 yards (lol) - 8 iron in and birdie - so you played your part in my shortest drive (lol) and Bird number 1.

I take notes over the last few weeks on iron shots and exact distance it went. I don't do this with anyone else around.

By the way - best fitting ever, do nothing - work on angle of attack.

You'd be mad to change your swing....Podge like crackers.

As for the air ball well that is more than likely spin. But without seeing the numbers it's hard to tell. In 50 years we'll all have portable Trackmans with us and know exactly where we are going wrong.....and still struggling to fix it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Title of thread needs changing...
    Well done, too late for he west unfortunately :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Well played Sir !

Advertisement