Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Always like to read your pieces FdP, plenty of observations and a nice turn of phrase!

Couple of things though - you might have missed some wordplay on Mikeunt's (not Mikenut ;) ) name. Also,from the way I read it, you started par, par, then bogeyed and then had a first birdie in ages. That should be level par but you say you stood on the fifth at one under?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Always like to read your pieces FdP, plenty of observations and a nice turn of phrase!

Couple of things though - you might have missed some wordplay on Mikeunt's (not Mikenut ;) ) name. Also,from the way I read it, you started par, par, then bogeyed and then had a first birdie in ages. That should be level par but you say you stood on the fifth at one under?

Fair play well spotted. Got a bit tied up in the moment there, won't run away myself. The third is a long par 4. Some play it as a 5 and take the bogey. Should have got a par. Still have not been under in about 15 years. .

Yes Mike unreal name, don't know what is worse nut or unt. Well I think I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's simple logic.

If you plan on breaking 80. How many of those shots will be played with a Driver?

Take a par 72 hole course. You'll have hit 14 Drivers (assuming 4 Par 3's)
    So if you shot a 79 then just one fifth of your strokes were with that club (again assuming they weren't snap hooked or banana balled into oblivion).

Now how many of those shots were played from 100 yards and under?
    Quite a lot I'd reckon.

Now what should you be practicing?

Will driving the ball longer, higher, better lower your score?
    You can split every fairway on any course and still bogey every hole and lose.

That's where the ego as mentioned previously comes into the equation.
    We all want to hit monstrously long tee shots. It has connotations of virility, power and strength.

And apologies to Bob Rotella but the main thing that struck me from reading his stuff is that if you went to any golf club practice range, you would more than likely encounter a whole range of people trying to bomb huge drives and hit beautiful long irons.

Whereas you wouldn't see as many people practicing the 'effeminate' and delicate skills of actually getting the ball in the hole, the very skills that will get you to win and score well.

"If you're not dedicating at least 70% of your practice time on using the wedges, chipping and putting, then you're not trying to be the best golfer you can be"

foxyboxer wrote: »

(again assuming they weren't snap hooked or banana balled into oblivion).

"If you're not dedicating at least 70% of your practice time on using the wedges, chipping and putting, then you're not trying to be the best golfer you can be"

Thanks foxyboxer, agree 100% for 95 % of golfers.

But I was losing 3 to 4 balls a round. You can't break 80 doing that.

I decided to see what was wrong with that part of the game, it showed me that I had a flaw in my swing, thanks to people on here.

The changes I've made have me hitting shorter irons straighter , so more chance of getting close.

I just put two months into it, next step is shorter game. The shorter game is more fun to practice in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Agree with you there Fixde. I am all too aware of the importance of 100 yards in for scoring, but I'm like yourself at present and need to spend more time trying to avoid hitting 4 balls out of bounds per round in order to make my scores plummet.

My goal will be to stop the handicap increase rot and to start pulling it down a little again.

• Advertisement

Some you lose, some you win. Got out to Corballis twice in the last 2 week. The first was the coldest day of golf I’ve had this year (or any year), 3oC was max. I’ve got the resulting red head that goes with it. The E45 cream after, is what I’m trying at the moment. Any tips ? lol.

The first day was a bad, bad day, could not hit the ball, even a 9 iron from a tee was a struggle. The wind was a factor, but an excuse. It is so easy to look for excuses in golf, if you’re that way inclined. I achieved nothing on the first game, I hit a wall. Resignation, indignation, alienation, I need a revelation. In Corballis you can play 13 holes and head in. I was 12 over for 13 holes. Shocker!

I had a few pints that night and was thinking, what next, the last three months for nothing. The answer for the moment was in the bottom of a glass and not in the bottom of a hole.

I’ve got into the habit of going out for a practice in Corballis when I only have two hours to sunset. I’ve hit a few extra balls and putts. I’ve a slight modification to my putting grip now and looking at short game more. The long game is not resolved but parked. I needed to change direction, I was stuck in the one area and losing my putting and mid/ short iron game. I was thinking a change of direction would be no harm, to rest the mind and help the soul.

The 2nd game was a new day, a new man, a renaissance. Just the body felt right, the takeaway right, the transition right, the downswing right, the strike right, the head right, the conditions right. Why is golf so fickle, why are we so fickle? One day good, one day bad.

From 12 over for 13, I went to 7 over for the same 13. At the end or start of most rounds now I go to the putting green for half an hour, setting myself a target before I can leave. I’ve made a slight change to grip and position of hands and more emphasis on follow through, I was pulling short ones. I’m making slow progress and the dry run of birdies has gone from about one birdie in 4 rounds, to 3 birdies in 4 rounds. It’s not exactly breaking records, but I find it is a sign of improved performance as I’m also in the range of more birdies also.

I’ve began writing bullet points of the thing that worked and have not worked each day. These become more exact with time. Examples are; Actual Ball position, Actual grip line, Actual putter grip, Actual ball used, Actual distance. This is more detail than I’ve ever looked at my game before. I hope I don’t become too technical; I need to see the sea and enjoy the time.

So another corner turned, but I’ve played golf long enough to not take the highs too high and the lows too low, life in a nutshell. As I look out now, it is still bright at 1714 hrs, the sun moves ever closer on its latitudinal journey. The days of more golf, a nearer dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The long game is not resolved but parked.

Hi FdP.

My own long game is nothing to write home about but one thing I have been doing recently which is giving me great results (and I know this sounds obvious in the extreme) is to look at a dimple on the back of the ball and focus on hitting this. All too often I was just looking down at the general direction of the ball and swinging away. Most of the time it was OK but I was getting some aweful contact as well. Might be nothing and you might be already doing this but us early to mid 80s golfers need all the help we can get!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Loire wrote: »
    Hi FdP.

My own long game is nothing to write home about but one thing I have been doing recently which is giving me great results (and I know this sounds obvious in the extreme) is to look at a dimple on the back of the ball and focus on hitting this. All too often I was just looking down at the general direction of the ball and swinging away. Most of the time it was OK but I was getting some aweful contact as well. Might be nothing and you might be already doing this but us early to mid 80s golfers need all the help we can get!

Loire.

Please stop giving him advice. If he hits sub 80 then there is no need for him to continue this thread and it's my favourite thread on boards.

I know...it's like The Truman Show...we're all watching and waiting!!

I know...it's like The Truman Show...we're all watching and waiting!!

Lol, :D

Don't think "we're all" Loire, is the case, perhaps me myself and two others. By the way, you inspired me with that mad 90 min pre game practice.

A sort of a weirdo who goes through a door in the horizon , I love it, what an exit, perhaps Irelands Eye is only a painting. It always looked strange and nobody ever comes or goes.

Things have got a bit strange again.

For the first time in a few months I feel I can do this now. When I do hit 79 on a "real course", I'm thinking it has to be over 79 marks in Kevin Markham's book. Sort of 79 on a > 79, a numerical satisfaction too.

So I'll sign off with.

"In case I don't see you.......good afternoon, good evening and goodnight".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

link_2007 wrote: »
    Please stop giving him advice. If he hits sub 80 then there is no need for him to continue this thread and it's my favourite thread on boards.

Agreed. Hopefully if fixdp does break 80 then he’ll just start a new thread “My Life (sub 70)”.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

acejeff wrote: »
    Agreed. Hopefully if fixdp does break 80 then he’ll just start a new thread “My Life (sub 70)”.

Can we have a vote to make this a permanent fixture on the golf thread.

Definitely the best thread on here it makes you remember why you love golf so much. We all try to shoot the round of our life everytime we're out there but the appreciation for the personal escape golf brings is what strikes a chord with me. Keep it up fix any chance of a book?

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Can we have a vote to make this a permanent fixture on the golf thread.

Definitely the best thread on here it makes you remember why you love golf so much. We all try to shoot the round of our life everytime we're out there but the appreciation for the personal escape golf brings is what strikes a chord with me. Keep it up fix any chance of a book?

Ah come on....

There is another thread here, I'm at risk of being killed by a driver.

Thanks anyway.

The Sound of a Half Change.

The sound of the ball hitting the cup or flag and falling into the hole is ingrained in every golfer's mind, like so many great sounds in life, a child laughing, a sea turning, a bird call, a train coming, a crowd cheering at “Croker” or Anfield or Thurles, a distant golf crowd cheer in a Portmarnock Irish Open of your childhood, a perfect chord, a friend’s voice, a favourite song.

The click of the cup, the hollow sound of a struck flag, a ball landing on a green. The click of a solid iron. A solid drive. The sounds of good golf are returning to my life. A space of the mind, unused but not forgotten.

In a past life the sound or feel was from a persimmon and then the new aged metal wood, then graphite and titanium and then roketbalz made of kryptonite.

The sounds of good golf are returning to my life ( A little above 80).

What a great day for golf out in St. Margerets. It all started with the usual optimism and plan, started with a plain par 4. I was hitting the ball well and my new swing is bedding in, It was just a round I was not scoring on and I had a few things on my mind from off the course. It makes you aware how the margins are very small when trying to break 80. I ended the front nine, 9 over and gone. This is a poor score for somebody trying to break 80, but it was a day of two nines. Never give up.

I was always a slow starter in golf, this was due to only playing once every few months or so for a big period of my life. I need to get rid of the slow start and when I’m close to breaking 80, I’ll need to change my approach to golf, turn up 1 hour before, hit a few balls a few putts and a good stretch. It is getting more serious at that stage and time is key. But you got to do what you got to do, to succeed. It sounds like the summer’s plan, but will I make it to the summer?

The back nine went Par, Bogey, Par, Par, Birdie, Bogey, par Bogey, Par (+2) . It went so well a little flutter was in my heart, actual adrenaline was flowing in my body, the mind was racing. I’m embarrassed to say I had a little headache, I now know it was because I did not take one drink of water on back nine, who do I think I am talking of hydration ( I hear Padraig talking in my head). I’m going mad. Well I am a bit mad.

I’m not underestimating having a (+ 2) on the back nine, this was a serious breakthrough, I played great golf and sort of psyched myself out with 3 to go. It was a poor finish. It makes you look back at the front nine and think only if, it also makes you want to keep playing. But a game of golf isthe full 18 holes. The good, the bad, the great, the sad, the happy, the regrets, the joys, the tears. A round of golf can have the full spectrum of a life. The metaphorical round of life.

The front nine was back to the poor old golfer. When you are trying to score in golf, the start of a round has you on edge, well I guess every start of every round has you on edge, but, you know when you are on the sub 80 track, your round could be over after the third hole. You stand at the first going, should I bang out a loose drive or play safe for par? It makes you look at the game in a different way, it kind of makes you look at the inhibitions of stableford golf. Stroke play is for "real golfers", I’m not a "real golfer" yet. These guys are the lads I see in the wind of Royal Dublin practice area, me in a car or walking by like a stalker, them repeating and repeating the same shot again and again, the wind changes the tide changes, they have seen it all. I’d be on the coast for a walk and without fail the practice area in Royal Dublin has players striking balls or at the chipping area. A punch, chip and run, all the shots needed due to the costal golf.

I’m heading off to get a fitting and a few lessons; I’ve tried to do things my own way, on my own. I need help (in more ways than one(lol)). I’ve enjoyed this challenge so much, I’ve gone from between 85 to 95 to 83 in 3 months. I’m on green in regulation, getting birdies now and on for two or three a round. My bad holes are 7s not 8s and 9s. I’ve 3 or 4 pars in a row now. My putting has improved.

Wedge play next, who knows what is around the next corner.

Click , cling, whoosh, The sounds of good golf are back. Hopefully back for good.

Hi FdP,

What caused the +9 on the front 9....driver, irons, wedges or putting? Or was it a mixture of both? Also, on the back 9 - that's a great score, but was it that everything just clicked or did you get a few lucky breaks (such as rolling in a few long putts)? Understanding this might help you focus on where you need to improve. Interestingly, the last time I broke 80 was a 78 and I was 1 over for the front 9 and hung on for dear life on the back 9. The other time when I shot 79 I had an OK front 9 but knew I needed to finish the last 5 holes in 1 over and I was able to do that. What I am saying is that for me, I think there needs to be an excellent 9 holes in a round to be able to do this. Getting a good start is probably easier but it puts pressure on you to not screw up.

Loire.

Hi FdP,

What caused the +9 on the front 9....driver, irons, wedges or putting? Or was it a mixture of both? Also, on the back 9 - that's a great score, but was it that everything just clicked or did you get a few lucky breaks (such as rolling in a few long putts)? Understanding this might help you focus on where you need to improve. Interestingly, the last time I broke 80 was a 78 and I was 1 over for the front 9 and hung on for dear life on the back 9. The other time when I shot 79 I had an OK front 9 but knew I needed to finish the last 5 holes in 1 over and I was able to do that. What I am saying is that for me, I think there needs to be an excellent 9 holes in a round to be able to do this. Getting a good start is probably easier but it puts pressure on you to not screw up.

Loire.

Head wasn't in the right place, lost a few drives, but I was striking ball well, poor putts too.

It was a strange feeling it all coming together, but won't lose the run of myself, I've since made more changes and found I was playing wrong shaft on driver, (see reverse pivot thread).

I'm at risk of changing too much too quick and thinking too much as others have said.

Perhaps I'll just stick to one thing a week. But look, things look good , but we all know this game has a plan for you when you have ideas.

Burn out is a real risk at this stage, but look there are more problems in the world than out playing a game of golf - I'll try stay positive.

Thanks to all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Head wasn't in the right place, lost a few drives, but I was striking ball well, poor putts too.

It was a strange feeling it all coming together, but won't lose the run of myself, I've since made more changes and found I was playing wrong shaft on driver, (see reverse pivot thread).

I'm at risk of changing too much too quick and thinking too much as others have said.

Perhaps I'll just stick to one thing a week. But look, things look good , but we all know this game has a plan for you when you have ideas.

Burn out is a real risk at this stage, but look there are more problems in the world than out playing a game of golf - I'll try stay positive.

Thanks to all again.

drama queen, you gotta stop watching reruns of oprah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    drama queen

+1
    So much for the sabbatical?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056546798

L.O.F.T wrote: »

When I go sub 80 , I'm gone.

No drama, your trying to make it drama.

Best of luck anyway. I'm sure your sound outside here.

When I go sub 80 , I'm gone.

No drama, your trying to make it drama.

Daniel Son,

In order to achieve sub 80, your mind must be clear.

FOCUS DANIEL SAN...FOCUS !

• Advertisement

Daniel Son,

In order to achieve sub 80, your mind must be clear.

FOCUS DANIEL SAN...FOCUS !

Lol, :D

Soo true but.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

drama queen, you gotta stop watching reruns of oprah
    L.O.F.T wrote: »

Give him a break you kids. I'd prefer to read his posts rather than your replies anyday.

The idea of forums isn't to slag someone off at the first chance you get!

Whyner wrote: »
    Give him a break you kids. I'd prefer to read his posts rather than your replies anyday.

and you gotta stop watching Judge Judy

Whyner, I've seen it all, I mean, it all in life.

I am a bit of a drama queen , with a my life thread (for f sake). But, we don't know each other on here. The pub is the place.

That's why when I hit the 79 in Deer Park , I'm gone (Joke by the way on Deer Park).

No , if you go to school in Dublin you face all that and worse. The point I was trying to make last week was the fake persona that can come from an internet site. This is a real factor. It causes drama.

I don't like that part - great for some things, but actions have no consequences.

You end up lowering to that level.

Anyway, I'm heading to Dr. Phil now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

and you gotta stop watching Judge Judy

You obviously watch it more than me, never heard of her.

Another weak reply to add to your repertoire :P

Now boys, not on here.

Try keep this thread clean - please - please.

Does please even work on here. :)

Now boys, not on here.

Try keep this thread clean - please - please.

Does please even work on here. :)

Yes it does PitchMark..yes it does.

FWIW, my own observation on you wanting to break 80, is that you are over analyzing things far too much.
    The more you analyze in one go, the greater the chance you have of not breaking 80 imo.
    Relax a little maybe.

and wtf, you've never heard of Judge Judy, you really are missing out man...google her !

Yes it does PitchMark..yes it does.

FWIW, my own observation on you wanting to break 80, is that you are over analyzing things far too much.
    The more you analyze in one go, the greater the chance you have of not breaking 80 imo.
    Relax a little maybe.

Thanks man.

A few hino's on the first. :D

Yes thinking that way now, but thinking too much about thinking that way -aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Stop thinking,

Stop thinking,

Doooooooooooh .

• Advertisement

and wtf, you've never heard of Judge Judy, you really are missing out man...google her !

Lol

Don't google her.

"My girlfriend crashed my car"

"I'm bringing her to court"

That is the **** these kids are watching, the world is f%$cked.

Advertisement