Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zec9jiK35GI

fit judge (milf) !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Whyner wrote: »
    The idea of forums isn't to slag someone off at the first chance you get!

Your right but all I asked was what happened to the sabbatical he said he was taking?
    Best of luck anyway. I'm sure your sound outside here.

I'm the same on here as I am in the outside world so to speak. I think your thread is an admiral idea but its a little too flowery for my taste with embellished descriptions and over exuberant choice's of words.
    Sign up to Golfshot:http://golfshot.com/: log your scores etc. and it wont be long before you see a repeatable pattern in your golf. Address your faults, post your rounds and just get on with practising.
    The skill will not come from one round of sub 80 but maintaining that standard. Start hitting greens in regulation. When I play well I and hit sub 80 I always hit more greens.
    You and I are not that different from the outside, Same age, 3 kids, 36 years old no free time. I have a rubbish swing but I know how to get the ball in the hole, its not how its how many at the level you and I aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zec9jiK35GI

fit judge (milf) !!!

Lol, how did you get golf cart.

That is why I write this stuff and play golf.

It is total escapism from the world around me.

X Factor, Tallaghtfornication, crazy golf on sky, dogs ****ting all over the place, rubbish in Dublin, the traffic, the crime, Vino Browne, the late bus, the 1hr dart, the politics.

Stop Thinking.
    Stop Thinking.

Swoosh , click, swoosh, click.

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    Your right but all I asked was what happened to the sabbatical he said he was taking?

I'm the same on here as I am in the outside world so to speak. I think your thread is an admiral idea but its a little too flowery for my taste with embellished descriptions and over exuberant choice's of words.
    Sign up to Golfshot:http://golfshot.com/: log your scores etc. and it wont be long before you see a repeatable pattern in your golf. Address your faults, post your rounds and just get on with practising.
    The skill will not come from one round of sub 80 but maintaining that standard. Start hitting greens in regulation. When I play well I and hit sub 80 I always hit more greens.
    You and I are not that different from the outside, Same age, 3 kids, 36 years old no free time. I have a rubbish swing but I know how to get the ball in the hole, its not how its how many at the level you and I aspire to.

We all have our tastes.

We all have our ways.

We all have our words.

We all have our goals.

Thanks man. One round sub 80 will do me. You know where I am time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

We all have our tastes.

We all have our ways.

We all have our words.

We all have our goals.

Thanks man. One round sub 80 will do me. You know where I am time wise.

You will never shoot sub 80 if that goal is in you're mind during every round. You have to let yourself go and focus on each shot only and the score will look after itself. I took up golf 10 years ago (age 40 then) and my goal was to break 100. Everytime a got close to it I would fcuk up the last 3 holes and finish 102 or 103. The moment I stopped counting during the round I shot 96.

My first sub 80 was about 5 years ago but it was winter with a short course and placing so it didn't count for me. I eventually shot 78 that summer in competition and I suspected it was sub 80 but found out when I counted up afterwards.

My best round ever was 75 (off 12) last year in competition. My playing partner told me on 18 that I needed par for a level par back 9. I'd never done a level par back 9 (a few front 9s which are a little easier in my club). I wasn't happy being told that as I like to stay out of scores, but fortunately I achieved par with a very nervy 4ft breaking putt.

You need to play competitive golf with someone else marking your score and all you have to do is concentrate on golf. I can always walk through my last 18 holes and remember each shot and normally each club used.

Playing golf on your own with the score constantly in the picture is not the way to achieve your goal.

BTW I thought you were leaving this forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

AldilaMan wrote: »
    I eventually shot 78 that summer in competition ..

You need to play competitive golf with someone else marking your score and all you have to do is concentrate on golf.

Playing golf on your own with the score constantly in the picture is not the way to achieve your goal.

+1 to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

+2
    i took it up around nov 2010.
    similarily my goal was to break 100 first off the bat.
    found it extremely difficult as would always tighten up when in with a shout.
    eventually broke it, and miraculously broke 90 a couple of months later with an 87. needless to say breaking 90 was nowhere on my agenda at all and in fact i wasnt even counting strokes as i was in a stableford comp at the time.

i reckon you need to join a club and get into the habit of playing the stablefords regularly - this will help you avoid focussing on the 80 and hopefully distract you enough that you dont sabotage yourself.

to be honest, from reading your posts and working on the assumption that you are fairly truthful, i am left scratching my head as to how you havent broken it yet. you definitely have the game to do it so clearly something else is the reason. this craic of heading out by yourself and obsessing about the stroke-count is only heaping the pressure on you. if you were in comps with fellow members you would be distracted as firstly you would be having a bit of banter with your playing partners, and second you would be focussing on getting your 2 points on each hole.

X Factor, Tallaghtfornication, crazy golf on sky, dogs ****ting all over the place, rubbish in Dublin, the traffic, the crime, Vino Browne, the late bus, the 1hr dart, the politics.

Stop Thinking.
    Stop Thinking.

Id say maybe cut out some of this Brendan Behan wannabe sh!te as well and concentrate on gettin the ball into the hole rather than "wandering lonely as a cloud" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

Id say maybe cut out some of this Brendan Behan wannabe sh!te as well and concentrate on gettin the ball into the hole rather than "wandering lonely as a cloud" :D

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Stop Thinking.
    Stop Thinking.

-1. If you want scores go see the last round thread. This is where poetry and golf meet. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

alxmorgan wrote: »
    -1. If you want scores go see the last round thread. This is where poetry and golf meet. :-)

I agree. After 9 pages you know what to expect from FPM. If it's not your cup of tea, don't read it.

Got out again to St. Margaret’s and beginning to play well. The driver shaft has been changed and the reverse pivot is now in the mind as I stand over the ball. I’ve listened to what all have said, but with mid-term break, I did not have much time in the last week to get a lesson , I have played golf for long enough that I can make changes myself , but I will get a lesson, as the one thing I did with a pro. was such a positive experience, that it can only help. My driving has gone from 6 to 9 real bad drives a round to just 2, this was due to coming over the top, a reverse pivot and a wrong shaft. What a combination. A triple problem, resulting in triple bogies.

Summary of lost shots / bad shots. ( On Today’s Round)

2 poor drives.
    3 irons too long.
    2 irons fat.
    4 missed short puts. (6 ft or less). (over reading , push or pull).
    3 poor wedges from 100 yrds or less.
    On some of the situations above the hole was recovered, but these were situations that the hole was a lost shot or out of control.

Started well, but hit a very good 8 iron too long into the 3rd and came out with an 8. It was sort of, well that’s that then. But a funny thing happened when I got to 8 and was 8 over, I was there I’m sort of gone again. Just keep going and forget about score (as has been said), had, par, bogey , par , birdie, par, par, birdie, par, par, bogey, bogey. Good golf, it seems all the work I’ve put in and new shaft is paying off. Very controlled golf. I ended poorly again, but this was when I started thinking about the score again.

(Ended with an 81) - I can say that it was well on to break 80 today, just a bit of poor putting and a poor start and finish again. I need to stick with the putting work and wedge work I have started, not sure how I’m going to do this effectively. The range this time of year is not much good for this.

When I think about shooting over 90 only a short time ago. The improvements at last have come, it is nice to stand over a drive and not be freaked out what is going to happen. I’m on for more and more birdies now, 3 to 4 on a round. To think I could not get a birdie for 2 or 3 rounds, 6 months ago.

The driving was a big deal for me, I had no structure to a hole, I can now think about the scoring area of the game, this is the hard bit, but at least I’m in the scoring zone.

A bit less flowery and Brendan Behan this week, but tread softly on my thread as you tread on my dreams (lol). Thanks again to all for the help.

Perhaps this will be over soon and I can head off into the sun. I’ll have the odd off track moment and a mind slip – The full moon is tonight. Would have been a great day to pull it off. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

I think you are basically there already, you just haven't realized it yet. There is almost no difference in ability required to shoot 79 rather than 81. However, there is a big difference between playing to score and playing golf while tinkering with your game. Forget about breaking a specific score (as already mentioned), as that will continue to mess with your head and nerves, start playing more in competition with other people, and most importantly, start playing one shot at a time. The hardest thing in golf isn't technique, its dealing with the dead time between shots and what happens in your head. From reading your thread, it appears to me that continually obessing over the outcome makes achieving that outcome almost impossible. All of my lowest scores have come to me as a surprise...days when where I am v par is in the forefront of my mind are the days when things can go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

'..tread softly on my thread as you tread on my dreams'

You're almost there, but fixating on a particular score won't help :
    'I bring you with reverent hands
    The books of my numberless dreams

Just go and play golf
    'Time to put off the world and go somewhere
    And find my health again in the sea air,'

Preferably with someone who shares your appreciation
    'And say my glory was I had such friends'.

and

Believe.

For Paws wrote: »
    '..tread softly on my thread as you tread on my dreams'

You're almost there, but fixating on a particular score won't help :
    'I bring you with reverent hands
    The books of my numberless dreams,

Just go and play golf
    'Time to put off the world and go somewhere
    And find my health again in the sea air,'

Preferably with someone who shares your appreciation
    'And say my glory was I had such friends'.

and

Believe.

A class beyond me. Fair play. :)

The quare fellow looks on.

On the first, the wind was picking up, the breeze from the Irish Sea is always lurking on the east coast of Dublin. An early start and the course to myself. 3 Hours total from start to finish (with plenty of practice putts). The wind was not even that strong, but you had to factor it into every shot. There was no aiming at the pin or middle of the fairway, the layout of St. Anne’s, means you are mostly playing a cross wind.

The course is not a favourite of the links players of Dublin. I like it, you are surrounded by the sea, not too difficult, good greens. It just lacks the dramatic undulations and dunes required to make it a great one.

The sun was always threatening and on the 9th there was a blinding light burst through the cloud cover, amazing. I even had to put on a bit of sun cream to stop the red head coming again. The joys of winter golf or Spring? I’ve been told I will have a major advantage to improve if I play with others, but I won’t have the time I need to think and see , I’ll wonder lonely as a cloud once more (lol). :)

I was disappointed again with my start, particularly when my driving is now a strong part of my game. I was feeling a bit tight, just not right and forgot my basics on my new driver swing, slice right O.B. What a start, ball 2, I nailed and ended up with a 7. Pity cause the first (a par 5) in St Annes is reachable in 2. When I looked at the ball after I picked it up out of the hole, I noticed it was a found Prov 1 Titleist 7, a 7, I laughed at the number.

I played the 2nd with a 5 iron and a wedge then a 3 putt. I know where the shots can be found now (100 yrds in). I’m playing around with my hands on the putter, much looser now, I’m doing better I think, but changing anything on your putting will take rounds to bed in. A windy day on a links is a test to the best putter, never mind a bad putter changing his grip.

On the 3rd from the winter par 3 tee, I hit a shocking sliced 9 iron. Just was not feeling right. My poor starts go on. On the 4th I hit another slice. 5 over after 4 is a joke. I went the remaining holes 6 over. A disappointing 82.

Causes of Lost Shots
    2 Sliced Drivers
    2 Fat Irons
    3 3 putts
    3 Poor Wedges
    2 Poor Club Selections

So 6 shots lost from 100 yrds in. I’m working on this area more.

I’ve been playing around with a lob wedge, silly day to play with a lob wedge, but I’ve gaps in my wedge play and am working on 80 yrds, 60 yrds and in.

Today I played poor and yet had an 82 (par 71), I know the old me would have had an 86 +, 3 months ago. I guess I’m playing more and more golf, It has to pay off at some stage. I know I should have done it by now. But, I never underestimated the challenge.

I had a strong finish, Par, Par, Par, bogey, Par. I should have had two birdies in that finish, but was still happy to finish strong. Just the bad start to get rid of now. I missed a close birdie on the last after a LW in. A day of what might have been, I picked the ball out of the hole and looked at the Titleist 7. The same one I had started with after my first O.B. . Long time since I’ve done that. Another first. A proV 1 all the way too, another first.

Went home to do some painting with my daughter, she had plenty of green, blue and yellow on her early Van Gogh, it was like a landscape of my day. She has good hands and a loose grip with the brush. It’s child’s play to her. Perhaps she is and has my answer.

You'd have had a 79 if you didn't have any 3 putts!! An hour a night practicing 2 -6 footers on the carpet me thinks ;)

Loire wrote: »
    You'd have had a 79 if you didn't have any 3 putts!! An hour a night practicing 2 -6 footers on the carpet me thinks ;)

No carpet , down to my Dad's tonight, a few beers watch the golf, a carpet and a mature eye.

82 with an OB on the first! Some shootin.

You should really be aiming to break 75 - 80 is too easy for you:pac:

No carpet , down to my Dad's tonight, a few beers watch the golf, a carpet and a mature eye.

Get a strip from somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Perhaps she is and has my answer.

"We are happy when for everything inside us
    there is a corresponding something outside us."

Congrats on progress so far...
    Now make that progress permanent.

Was down in Kildare for work, so decided to hit a local track available on Tee Times. The only one was Dunmurry Springs, north of Kildare Town. When you drive in, you are a bit taken aback to be in a car park with no car park. All stones and muck. It kind of sets a surprised tone for the place. The place feels a bit unfinished before you start.

I only had time for 12, so it was only going to be practice. It was a lovely day for golf and you can half fool yourself that you could play in short sleeves, you’d be reminded sometimes it is still only mid March, don’t lose the run of yourself. A couple of hardy Kildare men were braving the day in short sleeves , showing the “Dub” in me, what they have in store for us this summer in Croker.

Speaking of been soft , I was thinking, this was about my 25th different course in 6 months, I’ve played about 45 full games in that time and practiced on the range a good bit and also played part practice rounds. I’ve noticed a few aches in right knee, right hip, right wrist. I’ve been working to keep back strong , but other parts of the body are feeling it now. I’ve lost 5 kg weight. I’m working on some core work, but the wrist is due to very deep and long divots I tend to take, right knee is since I’ve restricted reverse pivot. Right hip pains are since then also. All a bit of a worry, I’m only playing golf. If I told my friends this they would laugh, perhaps golfers who play a good bit on here will know that aches and pains do go with golf. I went four days in a row playing golf last week, I’ve never done this before. I did feel it.

I’m in touch with a pro now and this is mad, but am thinking about the TPI course (but crazy money IMO). If somebody told me 6 months ago I’d have a coach and a fitness instructor for golf, I’d laugh at them. I have not gone as far as fitness instructor yet, but who knows where this will end up. I’d better break this 80 soon. I don’t want to end up on a physio table.

The golf course looks a bit young (as it is), the seasonal lack of growth on the trees and rough makes this all the more evident. The opening holes are shortish par 4s and is only a drive a Pw or LW into the first 4 holes. The course gets more interesting as you raise in elevation at hole 4 and play two ridges for 4 holes. As the rough is short at the moment you can get away with a poor drive and be close to hole. I had a birdie on 3 and the par 5 6th. I think if you have a bit of local knowledge at 6 and 8 the lower handicapper would score low. I had a 40 first time round on front nine. It should have been lower, but I’ve learnt in this game that there is no real “should”. When I came off the 7th , you are a bit surprised by the stunning view across the beautiful countryside and farmland of Chill Dara. It gives you a flashback to the original use of the land you are playing on.

The very day I was playing was the anniversary of somebody very close to me. Few better views could be found to think of them and yourself together. I looked up the motto for Co. Kildare and it put a smile on my face.

“Meanma agus misneach”

“Spirit and courage”

Not all pains in this life are physical.

What a day, what a life, what a view, what a course.

As a child I walked the Portmarnock beach often, playing in the deep dunes and jumping what seemed like a cliff, from the top of the dunes to the soft sand below, at that age it was nearly impossible to break a leg or injure yourself. The beauty, brilliance and fearlessness of youth. Little did I know the dunes would get their own back 25 year later .At that stage there was no such thing as The Links Portmarnock. Bernhard Langer (course designer) was off doing what he did great, playing golf and taming the so called toughest courses in Dublin. In a summer of favourable conditions he scored an unseen and an unimaginable -19 over four rounds in Portmarnock in 1987. No harm putting the Irish in their place now and again. But golf always gets its own back. Our friend Bernhard went through the full circle of golf.

Whilst playing on the beach, I would often look over the wire fence into Portmarnock Golf course. I would be nervous, envious. It was a mysterious place. Marooned in a physical sense and in my mind also. I did get to walk it’s rough at the Irish Opens and view the greats - Langer , Ballesteros , Olazabal, Woosnam. The near win of Philip Walton will always be in my mind. The regret, the disappointment of the crowd. I’m sure he remembers it too well.

They seemed to be sun filled summers of Tayto crisps and (full sugar) cans of coke and Cadbury’s chocolate and HB ice cream. The large Dublin crowd / gang, golfers and non-golfers, paid and unpaid spectators , learning when to cheer and to stay “Quite Please”, the silly periscopes, the timesheets, the signatures, the Americans, the gifted ball from a friendly pro. I still have mine in a drawer. Thanks Mark……………

As it was all 4 balls ahead today at The Links Portmarnock, I joined up with two young American Students, over here for a year in UCD, they were fine golfers and as is the case with most of these young lads, they were tall, athletic and hitting the ball miles. It kind of gave me flashbacks to my early 20s when the only purpose in life was to hit the ball as far as I could. It took me till 6 months ago to get over that and myself (lol). As we were having a bit of fun and I was hitting the driver well, I knocked a couple past them just to show them I was them once (lol).

It was great to see two lads with a great education and their life ahead of them. It reminded me of my own summer in America and playing ok golf in my early twenties. I developed a great love for the people and the place. You need to live there to see and understand the heart of America.

I reminded them how lucky they were with the weather and the fact they had already played “The Real” Portmarnock, St Annes and heading to Royal County Down next week. I was laughing with them that I had never played Portmarnock myself. I told them they would have nowhere to go when they make their millions from their MBA. They laughed, but I guess there are no limits or barriers to kids these days.

Of course - all on here who know their game, had told me, I need to play with better golfers and stop fixating on my score , I was tipping away well and enjoying the little friendly Ryder cup , well more like walker cup. I had a bad club selection on the 7th and had my first double bogey , was furious because I was playing very well. I turned with a 42. The crazy increase in ambient conditions has club selection gone a bit off for this mad March weather.

It was not a great score, but was happy, as I had been off the course for two weeks. I had decided I needed a break from golf. My old breaks from golf were 6 to 8 months, have to laugh that a break is 2 weeks now.

I was playing well and the scores began to come on the back, was struggling to get a birdie all round. My long game was the best it had ever been, all my shots are now being lost from 100 yrds in. I’ve practiced here, but The Links is a hard course to get close to pins. I started the back nine Par, Par, Par, Par, bog, par, bog, Double bog, birdie. So had a 39 on the back for a total of 81. I had a bad chip on 17 and a poor bunker shot on 16.

All in all, I could have easily broke 80 today. It is only my 2nd time out in The Links, so that made it even more enjoyable. But, conditions were as perfect as you would ever get. I’m beginning to think it is not a tough course in those conditions. The wind is a different game there. Perhaps I just played very well.

It was my best day on a course in a long time, I only hit one real bad iron shot and that was a wrong club. I’m way more consistent now with everything. I’m 3 to 4 shots a better golfer than I was 6 months ago. I feel there is something on the horizon.

The days you take with you to the grave are few and far between, sometimes life takes away the ability to see this. It is one of the great joys in life to have a realisation that you are in that exact moment in time, this could be jumping off dunes, receiving a ball from a pro as a child, hitting a perfect drive by the sea.

The 2 or 3 times, I got to see the sea was just bliss; the heat was raising a mist over the horizon. There was a slight backdrop of the Dublin Mountains, the Image on the horizon was unclear, but I know from my childhood what is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 westbuteast

Shot my lowest score ever yesterday 82. My first round out on my new club the curragh. Play off 19 and really want to knock 4 or 5 that this year. Not a lift or place in sight hope this weather keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Great post, i played there for the first time last sat,absolutely loved it, while it was was very windy i still shot 86 and thought to myself a few times i could really break 80 here. I felt that up and downs from certain areas were next to impossible but if you kept it tight and straight scoring was on. I had no birds but i putted well and lipped a few birds for tap in pars which gave some confidence, i will play a singles there some day. I thought the first few holes are very fair straight forward opening holes

I had to go back to The Island before the green fees gets too expensive.

After Portmarnock Links , I had a pain in the wrist. I had an impact injury when I hit a ball out of a divot on the 14th. I’ve been worried about my angle of attack being too steep. I think this came to a head when I started to use a 60 degree lob wedge.

As I stood on the first, all I was thinking about was my wrist, it is the wrong state of mind to play The Island. I was 11 over after 5 holes – total shock. I guess if you play The Island injured you deserve everything it can throw at you.

I got settled and 41 strokes on the back nine was a big improvement, considering I beached the ball at 13. There was nobody around so I walked down to the beach and was amused by the 6 pro V 1s, I picked up on the beach. Mine an NXT tour.

A day, I should not have played, I knew when I started. Sometimes you hope upon hope that the reality of the situation will not be the case, a childlike idea. With age, the reality of life, is rarely not the reality.

I have to take two weeks out to get the wrist and head right, mid-term means the kids are the priority. Golf is on the back nine/burner.

A combination of an injury and two bad rounds has my confidence low, I know this is silly, because it was circumstantial. I’m beginning to question my putter and putting method. Doubts, unclear lines, unsure thoughts, hopelessness, darker weather.

A break needed.

I need to go as the young lad needs to look up Lego instructions on the computer. The wonderful intricacies of life. The certainty and lack of doubt, of what a child wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Looks like its going to be the start of a good season for everyone, shot my lowest in compitition on saturday (79) and got me cut to 12.3. Getting closer to those single figures :D:D:D

Looks like its going to be the start of a good season for everyone, shot my lowest in compitition on saturday (79) and got me cut to 12.3. Getting closer to those single figures :D:D:D

Fair play Matt - you did it too without coming on here and talking crap. Walk the walk. I talk the talk. :p:):mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

To be honest after my clebrating on saturday night i can't remember the round!

my ball striking is rubbish but putting and chipping was excellent. had about 4/5 sand saves as well.

Would love to know what would have happened if i was hitting GIRs

I like your "column" so to speak. It reminds me that im not the only one who's struggling out ther! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Dude i was gonna add u on msn then seen ur email is randyfuker@......., i have changed my mind :D Good shooting, shot my best ever round +8 a few weeks back, not in a comp mind you but getting there, cut from 18 to 15 in last 2 comps :)

Advertisement