Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Sorry , did i miss something a photo ?????

Yea I put it up last night but it was quite large so I assume the mods took it down.

Here is the link:

The long road and FDP when he finally breaks 80 (it doesn't seem half as funny now!)

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-sheep-jumping-road.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

link_2007 wrote: »
    Yea I put it up last night but it was quite large so I assume the mods took it down.

Here is the link:

The long road and FDP when he finally breaks 80 (it doesn't seem half as funny now!)

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-sheep-jumping-road.jpg

i can still see it on the previous post and in FDP's quote??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

charlieIRL wrote: »
    i can still see it on the previous post and in FDP's quote??

See it now.

Yes says it all.

A bit woolly.
    Full of S**t.
    Out on his own.
    An endless road.
    A bit headless.
    A bit lost.
    Looking for attention.
    Full of S**t.

and Full of S**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

See it now.

Yes says it all.

A bit woolly.
    Full of S**t.
    Out on his own.
    An endless road.
    A bit headless.
    A bit lost.
    Looking for attention.
    Full of S**t.

and Full of S**t.

Don't be too hard on yourself (unless your into self flaggellation):D

AldilaMan wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on yourself (unless your into self flaggellation):D

With a 7 Iron in hand.

• Advertisement

With a 7 Iron in hand.

I was thinking more of a wet towel ;)

A New Start (Again).

Day 1

Hit the driving range.

Not expecting much, main emphasis is on back swing, stay connected with right elbow, it is so hard to over swing like this, a much more compact swing. My right elbow muscles are a little sore after just 100 balls, it is all new positions for the arms and back.

I’m actually hitting the ball; this is great, a wedge, a 9 iron, an 8 iron, a 7iron, a 6 iron. Not too worried about direction, it is the strike, I do notice when I allow release, it is a slight right to left flight on irons, this is new ground. I was able to hit a draw before but it was a big body move to get around myself.

I’m on new ground. It is just about relaxed arms, and swing around the spine axis. I’m actually hitting 1 in 5 straight, 3 out of 5 straight left and 1 out of 5 to slice right. I think this is when I don’t release the club. But this is new. There are two major changes, my swing plane and less rigid forearms and grip. This is to help release. I was told my grip was good, but posture needs more arse sticking out.

It is a lot to take in in 24 hours. I’m thinking now I should go back to the pro in a week there is no point to practice a new swing, the wrong way. As some have said on here.

I hit the ball way better than I expected tonight, positive thoughts, I went out when I was thinking the Barcelona Chelsea game was a nothing game. There is not a chance in hell I would have done that last year or any year before, what a match. I have my own game to concentrate on.

Day 2

Only a person with serious issues, would even think of going out to play golf, or even go to a driving range in this weather.
    As I hit the 10th ball of the 150, the cold is causing my hands to shake.

I need to calm down a bit, too much too quick; I’m going to burn out again. You can’t catch up ten lost year in 2 days, Rome wasn’t - blaaah blaah . I’m actually able to hit a normal looking shot every 3, bad one goes straight left and sometimes a fade. I’m feeling a little sore at the new fold in my right elbow. To me this swing feels like a ¾ swing.

The wind at the moment is a bit of a problem as I need to see the pure flight of the ball.

When I go home I played the Guitar for a few hours to take my mind off it all. A new hobby needed. I laugh when I look at the song that opens in the chord book, “Don’t Stop Believing”. I play it for the cheesy craic.

Day 3

I’m actually afraid to go out on a golf course now; I’m like a beginner again. The range again today. and more You Tube clips for top of backswing. I’m hitting the ball ok, A little uncertain of exact position at the top of the backswing. At one stage I hit 3 straight good shots in a row. This was uplifting. I’m able to hit a 5 iron ok now. As things were going ok, I hit 3 drives at end. Only 1 was ok. I’d say I look like a guy off about a 28 handicap now. Again I’m feeling a sore right elbow, don’t know if this is due to new position at top of backswing, locked right elbow at follow through or just too many balls too quick. I’m a little worried I may hurt myself, so a lay off needed, excuse the pun. Will book lesson two, for early next week. Go practice putting for a few days. Not ready to go out on a course.

As I was standing over about my 60th ball, I had a look at the various versions of the swing along the driving range bays, I was thinking of all the things going on in the golf swing. It is a crazy difficult game in so many ways.

It is a mystery of life, to find common ground amongst people from different backgrounds and experiences. Golf is a common ground, but every swing is different, some differences indiscernible to the human eye. Different bodies and heights and speeds and flexibility and strength. One commonality amongst golfers, is to get this bloody little ball to go where it should , to feel right, to feel like nothing when you hit it. No ideas, no thoughts, no pain. Just the pure joy, when you know without looking you have got it right. A tiny memorable frozen moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

fixdP- been following the thread and loved your insights all along. Can I just give one small piece of advice. You speak about hitting 150 or more balls at one visit - I think, for me anyway and a lot of people, this is too many in any one driving range session- what happens is that you have such a volume of balls to get throguh that inevitably concentration wavers and you are just whacking them out of sight with no concentration or time taken between each shot. When this happens you are really achieving nothing, plus from going through them so quick you get tired and swing gets sloppy. I know myself i do this when I get any more than about 60. I think it may be much more beneficial to get 50/ 60 max for a session, after hitting a few to warm into it take your time over each ball to think about what you are trying to achieve with each swing, go through your routine like you would hitting a shot out on the course - it takes discipline but I think it's the more beneficial than simply hitting volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I completely changed my backswing late last year. For top of backswing position, check out the Faldo preset drill on YouTube. I found this very helpful to get a feel for where I should be ending up at the top of the backswing.

It will take a few weeks graft but it will start to feel natural.

acejeff wrote: »
    fixdP- been following the thread and loved your insights all along. Can I just give one small piece of advice. You speak about hitting 150 or more balls at one visit - I think, for me anyway and a lot of people, this is too many in any one driving range session- what happens is that you have such a volume of balls to get throguh that inevitably concentration wavers and you are just whacking them out of sight with no concentration or time taken between each shot. When this happens you are really achieving nothing, plus from going through them so quick you get tired and swing gets sloppy. I know myself i do this when I get any more than about 60. I think it may be much more beneficial to get 50/ 60 max for a session, after hitting a few to warm into it take your time over each ball to think about what you are trying to achieve with each swing, go through your routine like you would hitting a shot out on the course - it takes discipline but I think it's the more beneficial than simply hitting volume.

Thanks Ace and Holy Driver.

Yes makes sense to keep it quality , was feeling it in the body , too many balls too fast. I don't know how the pros do it. Spend so long playing and practicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

too many balls too fast

Just to add FdP, you don't need balls to practice. Especially when going through some major swing changes. If anything watching and thinking about a ball is only a distraction.

Your issues sound similar to mine (although I never got near 115 ;)) and when trying to get the body to move in a completely different manner,especially after doing such a good job of ingraining the wrong move hitting balls usually (for me anyway) results in one of two things.

Crap ball striking which in turn destroys the confidence and makes enjoying the practice really hard.

Or even worse, compromise the improved movements for the nice feeling of hitting the ball well (but still the with bad technique).

AJ is dead right about reducing the number of golf ball's you hit, but don't reduce the amount of practice you do, just pick up a club whenever you can and rehearse the moves over and over. It dose eventually come right. (So I'm told :))

The Easy Game. Sunset to Remember.

Not a breath in the sky in Corballis. The last light of the day was used, to grove the new swing move. I was with a friend of mine up working in Dublin for the week. He is learning to play, and Corballis is hard on beginners. My new swing is all about smooth connected swings. Started with par, par then bogey, par, double bogey, par, par, bogey, birdie, bogey, par, par, par. So +4 for 13 holes. The light gave way. A stunning red was in the sky, a stillness and peacefulness not seen in weeks. The sea still unsettled, giving a background sound to the stillness. The sea the old swing, the sky the new.

It is the last visit for a good while, my friend will ever see that view. I said to him, that if anything ever happens to me I want him to come back with the lads and play Corballis. I told him to look at the sea and think of me on a course playing the way I played today. We laughed, comedy and truth so closely entwined. The game was so easy today and I left a few out there. Hard to believe I’m only at this new way 2 weeks, I’ve put a lot of hard work in the hands and in the mind. Standing over so many shots I knew I was going to hit a good shot. I’m playing very conservatively, only one drive. This is due to fear of something new. The fear is good, keeps you alert and reminds you of what you need to do.

The birth of confidence gives you more feel over chips, long putts. The lines are clearer, the breaks are friendlier, the spin is more helpful, the rough is less deep. The sky looks clearer, the sea looks less rough.

We will stick at it, don’t look too deep (lol), We are always one day and shank away, from a less clear sky and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Not a breath in the sky in Corballis. The last light of the day was used, to grove the new swing move. I was with a friend of mine up working in Dublin for the week. He is learning to play, and Corballis is hard on beginners. My new swing is all about smooth connected swings. Started with par, par then bogey, par, double bogey, par, par, bogey, birdie, bogey, par, par, par. So +4 for 13 holes. The light gave way. A stunning red was in the sky, a stillness and peacefulness not seen in weeks. The sea still unsettled, giving a background sound to the stillness. The sea the old swing, the sky the new.

It is the last visit for a good while, my friend will ever see that view. I said to him, that if anything ever happens to me I want him to come back with the lads and play Corballis. I told him to look at the sea and think of me on a course playing the way I played today. We laughed, comedy and truth so closely entwined. The game was so easy today and I left a few out there. Hard to believe I’m only at this new way 2 weeks, I’ve put a lot of hard work in the hands and in the mind. Standing over so many shots I knew I was going to hit a good shot. I’m playing very conservatively, only one drive. This is due to fear of something new. The fear is good, keeps you alert and reminds you of what you need to do.

The birth of confidence gives you more feel over chips, long putts. The lines are clearer, the breaks are friendlier, the spin is more helpful, the rough is less deep. The sky looks clearer, the sea looks less rough.

We will stick at it, don’t look too deep (lol), We are always one day and shank away, from a less clear sky and day.

Posts about your rounds should come with a bucket of popcorn for the read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

You could have got your 80 round if you were able to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

You could have got your 80 round if you were able to finish!

Dont think he wants to now as he wont be able to keep this thread going so he leaves early when hitting well under it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Everytime I see an update to this thread I think maybe, just maybe he has done it...then I'm sad to read that it's not the case, but happy that the quest & thread will continue. One of these days though, put us out of our misery and LIE :D

Best of luck with the quest though and you're well on your way. Anyone else here think that it'll be done somewhere other than Corballis where there won't be as much pressure and it will just happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

FPM, get yourself up to stepaside public 9 hole.....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

Loire wrote: »
    Anyone else here think that it'll be done somewhere other than Corballis where there won't be as much pressure and it will just happen?

Even though Corballis is only par 66 on the card I can think far easier par 71s and 2s upon which to break 80!! Corballis can be devillishly tricky particluarly around the greens and you have to be so precise, shots can just fritter away easily out here and a triple bogey is never too far away.

fixdp +4 for the first 13 holes in corballis is very good shooting and proves that you have a level of ability which is capable enough to break 80 not just around Corballis. Keep up the good work.

PS. this is the best read on boards.ie so WHEN you do break 80 this thread will be sadly missed!!

Mods

Please edit and remove the part in bold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mods

may i ask why first?

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    may i ask why first?

Cos that word gives me nightmares

Mods

I'm a realist at heart. I guess that is half or most of the battle.:)

I guess , I have to accept when going through major swing changes, there will be ups and downs. It has gone very well very quick.

Thanks to all for their help and support.

I think the new route I've gone down to break 80 is a more sustainable way. I think it will make this thread longer now, sorry, it should be quality not quantity as someone said on here.

On the course, I'm a bit of a golf course snob. Spent a lifetime of golf on the less famous Irish courses or infamous. Life is too short to play poor courses and we have a gallery at our doorstep. It will be sensible and by the sea (I hope).

I'll go off finish my lessons and "believe".

And "dream it all up again".

The Dub in me says, "That bleeeeeding dreamer, would do your head in".

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

@FPM you should write a book based on all of this. the whole thread has been brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

^^ +1 Really enjoying it! Good luck and keep going!

@FPM you should write a book based on all of this. the whole thread has been brilliant!

Jaysus ---- Thanks. :o

But, out of my comfort zone, even this is. But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Serious question....would you consider be-friending the pro in Corballis and asking him to caddy for you once or twice to give you his opinion on course management etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just read this thread in full today

Great read

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just read this thread in full today

Great read

In full, lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hungover in clients office nothing to do said id read this in full :)

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hungover in clients office nothing to do said id read this in full :)

Give us your job ;)

Advertisement