Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Life (Sub 80)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

I'm always interested in the score but only in the aftermath ;)

Take the Open Championship target out. Your goal surely is to break 80 whenever it happens. I guarantee the month leading up to the Open will be wasted by having too much pressure to achieve it in a short space of time. Take as much pressure off as possible and it will happen when you least expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

AldilaMan wrote: »
    I'm always interested in the score but only in the aftermath ;)

Take the Open Championship target out. Your goal surely is to break 80 whenever it happens. I guarantee the month leading up to the Open will be wasted by having too much pressure to achieve it in a short space of time. Take as much pressure off as possible and it will happen when you least expect it.

As someone said, I may qualify for it then. :D:D:D I am laughing OUT LOUD AT THAT. :rolleyes:

If I don't have an end date, I won't do it. I need deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I think you need a regular playing partner, your best scores in recent times have come with your close friend and your new friend "The American".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

A regular playing partner can help calm you and conversation can help take your mind off the task at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Hey Fixde wish you well in your quest, always enjoy your creative writing and look forward to the day when you accomplish it. On a similar quest myself and know how hard it is. Have been so close on numerous occasions & know I am more than capable... just need to get silly thoughts out of my head on 17th & 18th tee box.

• Advertisement

A regular playing partner can help calm you and conversation can help take your mind off the task at hand.

Matt,

Have to thank you and others, for all the help and support you have put forward.

He goes odd again after a few pints.

I have to say this is a closed loop control system, every single idea or concept, or frustration. It goes into my little head and becomes part of it all.

A few weeks ago, I could not hit a 7 iron, so that is how I look at it all.

For me I never imagined I could get to now again. I'm not a natural at golf, but hard work and stupid Irish dog headedness can defy the odds.

never drink and post - please break 80 to get it all over with. :o:P:eek:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

No bother, if u fancy a game in DH let us know. Fiver for whoever breaks 80 on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

mafc wrote: »
    Hey Fixde wish you well in your quest, always enjoy your creative writing and look forward to the day when you accomplish it. On a similar quest myself and know how hard it is. Have been so close on numerous occasions & know I am more than capable... just need to get silly thoughts out of my head on 17th & 18th tee box.

Jeeze are we all the same? For me it kicks in at the 16th. In my local it's a sharp dog leg right. I have leaked so many right when I have had a good score I have lost count. Walk onto 17 thinking "why did you not just play a 5 iron and try to score 5". Struggle then on 17 and kick myself on the walk to 18!!
    And yes I have "golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella. If I can play well for the previous 15, surely it must be in the head for the last 3!! Anyway, sorry for the diversion Fixed.

Arsenium wrote: »
    Jeeze are we all the same? For me it kicks in at the 16th. In my local it's a sharp dog leg right. I have leaked so many right when I have had a good score I have lost count. Walk onto 17 thinking "why did you not just play a 5 iron and try to score 5". Struggle then on 17 and kick myself on the walk to 18!!
    And yes I have "golf is not a game of perfect" by Bob Rotella. If I can play well for the previous 15, surely it must be in the head for the last 3!! Anyway, sorry for the diversion Fixed.

No, it is a prescient point. Yesterday on the front nine I hit 4 - 5 Irons and 2 drives. I knew my drive is a bit off at the moment. I had a 40 on the front. So paid off, I know I would have been gone on 1 or 2 holes if I hit drives.

From reading lads on here my round management is much improved. The idea of going for a bogey or even hitting a 5 iron off a tee, does not rest easy with me, but I need to do it. Anyway, with links golf and summer a 5 iron gets amazing roll, and you are still an 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW out. It is all full shots - there is a lot to be said for it. But, hard for me to play like that. Driving was one of my favourite parts of golf. But, when you get close to 80 you know 1 or 2 bad drives and your round is gone.

It is all in the head but, on the last I did choke a bit with a PW. Had a great drive. At the moment my problems are still technical. I am mental, but this will not solve that. :confused::P

For all who have said somebody playing alongside, will take my mind off things, I think there is a good bit to be said for that, but I work odd hours and times. Anyway, not at that stage yet.

Lesson 3 next, Driving and PW to be worked on.

Then short game, Putting still not great.

But look, it is only a game, a great game, I'm back in love with it. I know after all this, my game will be long lasting, more control and workable, not the old OTT trash I had.

Still trying to work out your name. (lol).

The idea of going for a bogey or even hitting a 5 iron off a tee, does not rest easy with me, but I need to do it. Anyway, with links golf and summer a 5 iron gets amazing roll, and you are still an 8 Iron, 9 Iron, PW out.

I'll second that, if I hit 5 iron off every tee, I would comfortably be around the 90 mark(current best 95), but I enjoy driving, and especially love being about 230-250 out from a Par 5 thinking I am going to knock it to within 20 foot for an Eagle try..............mmmmm perhaps you have taught me something!!

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    I'll second that, if I hit 5 iron off every tee, I would comfortably be around the 90 mark(current best 95), but I enjoy driving, and especially love being about 230-250 out from a Par 5 thinking I am going to knock it to within 20 foot for an Eagle try..............mmmmm perhaps you have taught me something!!

lol, yes that was me, every par 5 in 2. Would only get on 1 in 6. O.B, lost ball , top it as trying to hit too hard, in water, course drain. Was there for too long. Somebody put up the 7 out of 10 rule, very good. Do the shot you can pull off 7 out of 10 times.

I guess no matter what you are aiming for, you should know your bad shot, know holes that you go wrong on. It is a big step the day you do it. The other day I hit 2 7 Irons onto a par 4.

I played a Par 5 the other day, 5 Iron, 9Iron, LW. I was hating myself for doing that, but you begin to like it when you get more and more pars.

I guess , I'm like this at moment because I'm in change, but will take something out of it when my game is A1. I'm playing so conservative at the moment, I should be called Maggie Thatcher. Sorry that is hungover pun. :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Was +6 gross recently walking of 16th green only to finish 6,7 on last two par 4's ! Finished gross 82, oh what could have been. Even more sickening is the fact that I have birdied & parred both holes previously.

Such is golf, the day will come hopefully.......

lol, yes that was me, every par 5 in 2. Would only get on 1 in 6. O.B, lost ball , top it as trying to hit too hard, in water, course drain. Was there for too long. Somebody put up the 7 out of 10 rule, very good. Do the shot you can pull off 7 out of 10 times.

I guess no matter what you are aiming for, you should know your bad shot, know holes that you go wrong on. It is a big step the day you do it. The other day I hit 2 7 Irons onto a par 4.

I played a Par 5 the other day, 5 Iron, 9Iron, LW. I was hating myself for doing that, but you begin to like it when you get more and more pars.

I guess , I'm like this at moment because I'm in change, but will take something out of it when my game is A1. I'm playing so conservative at the moment, I should be called Maggie Thatcher. Sorry that is hungover pun. :(:p

Can't see anything wrong with that play. The fact that you were hitting LW for your 3rd means it should have yielded a putt for birdie or 2 for par. Golf is about strategy - you against the course. Not every par 4 requires a driver in your hand but you'd swear watching most amateurs that it's the only way to play golf. I love watching guys playing driver then 3 wood to par 5's and making bogeys and me playing 4 6 and 9 iron and a two putt par. It depends on the danger factor of the hole on how you play it.

In the words of the great Seve "It's not how but how many"

Can't see anything wrong with that play. The fact that you were hitting LW for your 3rd means it should have yielded a putt for birdie or 2 for par. Golf is about strategy - you against the course. Not every par 4 requires a driver in your hand but you'd swear watching most amateurs that it's the only way to play golf. I love watching guys playing driver then 3 wood to par 5's and making bogeys and me playing 4 6 and 9 iron and a two putt par. It depends on the danger factor of the hole on how you play it.

In the words of the great Seve "It's not how but how many"

AldilaMan, your right again, as always.

But, the great thing about golf is that people have a personality on the course, there are some lads (was me), that hitting that par 5 in two would make their day, hitting a drive over 300 yrds, would make their day, going for everything is their thing.

I guess, it depends if you are playing the game for fun, to score, to make money or just to exercise, are factors.

When I look at a hole now I look at the O.B, line, consider the wind, consider the wind combined with my poor shot. I know my weak shot is a slice . Will hit the fairway 8 out of 10 times with a 5 irons. I forget about O.B , relax and pick an exact spot on the fairway, a bird, a grass cut line. I hit it to the fairway and say "S**T I wish I hit driver, could have reached that green". :D

It is not as if , I am playing for money, it is just a bit of fun, hard to play that way all the time, a bit boring in my view. I guess it is back to personalities.

Would love to just go around with a few irons a wedge and a putter one day. But, I couldn't do it. Someone would have to pay me 250 euro or something to do it, that is just to show how hard it is for me to hit a 5 iron off a tee - so I'm doing something about Driver. This week.

Personality may be something to do with it but I'd say if someone is the type to go for everything then those days in the sun will be few and far between (risk and reward etc). I think it's more to do with confidence on the day cos we all get a bit conservative when the confidence is low. The worst thing in golf IMO is taking a 5 iron off the tee for safety and knocking it down. Now you wished you had pulled out the driver. Sometimes when I'm practising I'll play a par 5 with only pitching wedges. I normally get on in 4 and 2 putt - but I've never parred one doing it that way!

Personality may be something to do with it but I'd say if someone is the type to go for everything then those days in the sun will be few and far between (risk and reward etc). I think it's more to do with confidence on the day cos we all get a bit conservative when the confidence is low. The worst thing in golf IMO is taking a 5 iron off the tee for safety and knocking it down. Now you wished you had pulled out the driver. Sometimes when I'm practising I'll play a par 5 with only pitching wedges. I normally get on in 4 and 2 putt - but I've never parred one doing it that way!

Must hit my PW 3 times like that for the laugh, I bet I would reach it, 160, 150, 150 .. :D:D See personality again.

Result on day 1.
    Top, fat, shank. A hybrid from just past the Ladies tee.

Must hit my PW 3 times like that for the laugh, I bet I would reach it, 160, 150, 150 .. :D:D See personality again.

Result on day 1.
    Top, fat, shank. A hybrid from just past the Ladies tee.

That's just a long par 4. 460 yard par 5 - come on ;). I'm talking about a short par 5 of 520 yards. 4 x PW @130 yards. I'm obviously a short hitter cos I'd be hittin 6,7,7 for those yardages of 160,150,150. Then again you drive it 300 plus :D:D

Tonight, when I head out for my 6-9 holes at 7.30 I am going to leave my driver & hybrid in the car(don't carry a 3/5 wood) and play from 5 iron to putter and see how I get on!

ssbob wrote: »
    Tonight, when I head out for my 6-9 holes at 7.30 I am going to leave my driver & hybrid in the car(don't carry a 3/5 wood) and play from 5 iron to putter and see how I get on!

Sounds, good, see how you get on. Let us know.

That's just a long par 4. 460 yard par 5 - come on ;). I'm talking about a short par 5 of 520 yards. 4 x PW @130 yards. I'm obviously a short hitter cos I'd be hittin 6,7,7 for those yardages of 160,150,150. Then again you drive it 300 plus :D:D

All joking aside,

I've lost a bit of distance since my swing was changed. My pro claims, I won't as the speed will be in the right place now ? :confused:, i guess he means at ball at impact. I had very little in the way of release at right time.

Now tending to be at lower end of this range.

6 iron 175 - 185 yrds
    7 Iron 165 - 175 yrds
    8 iron 155 - 165 yrds
    9 iron 145 - 155 yrds

Drive 260 to to 280.

So a bit of large range, still working out , hips and downswing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Now tending to be at lower end of this range.

6 iron 175 - 185 yrds
    7 Iron 165 - 175 yrds
    8 iron 155 - 165 yrds
    9 iron 145 - 155 yrds

Drive 260 to to 280.

let the debate commence..... ;)

stringy wrote: »
    let the debate commence..... ;)

I know, it is never worth putting up, i need to lie from now on. :p

Look, i was never one to claim it was a big deal, it is not worth one shot on a course to you, it just enables me to hit a 5 iron and a pw to short par 4s. Like 2 in St Anne's , it helps me now because my Drive is ****, In the past i would have hit driver when it was crap, now i know how to play when not 100 % right.

At the end of the day my swing speed is 115 mph with driver, what do i do, lie ?

It is going to come up, like 17 at St. Annes is 178, what do I do say I hit a 4 iron when I hit 6 ?, elevated but.

All joking aside

How long you been on tour?:p

Actually did my own yardages last week as I bought a range finder, carry distances:

5 Iron180 6 Iron167 7 Iron155 8 Iron145 9 Iron130 PW115 Gap100 Sand Wedge75

I haven't got a consistent distance for my driver but reckon my carry is 225-240 range depending................

Obviously you get mroe run when the weather is good..........

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

I know, I jest.

I did hit a 6iron over yards last week though. 2nd red in Donabate, very back stakes. Massive downwind. Felt good :)

Normally though, it's in the 175 mark.

BACK ON TOPIC.

Keep it up. MY quest is to break 70 this summer. Shot 78 last week when CSS was 75, and had 3 cardinal mistakes.

I think you'll break 80 in the next 4 weeks. You heard it here first :)

Give me a shout if you ever want to play Donabate, we can have a long drive challenge.

I know, I jest.

I did hit a 6iron over yards last week though. 2nd red in Donabate, very back stakes. Massive downwind. Felt good :)

BACK ON TOPIC.

Keep it up. MY quest is to break 70 this summer. Shot 78 last week when CSS was 75, and had 3 cardinal mistakes.

Give me a shout if you ever want to play Donabate, we can have a long drive challenge.

Thanks, man.

The closer I get the more presure comes, na, i'm putting so much work in, it should go ok for me, even if I'm a bit crap at golf, after all this I know that.

I need to do it, to finish it and get it done. Taking too much time out of my life, but loving it.

My real problem is putting in the long run, I had no Birdies the other day, that is sad for the number of times I was in the scoring zone.

I know, I jest.

BACK ON TOPIC.

If I tell the truth I did tell a white lie, to stop people going mental, I put low values in. Use to hit a 5 iron over 200 yards, these new clubs are delofted so that is a 4 iron. :p:o:eek:

Anyway - Lesson 3 tonight. Get the bloody job done and stop being a "Pussy", as a pro said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

My real problem is putting in the long run, I had no Birdies the other day, that is sad for the number of times I was in the scoring zone.

Each of the 2 times I broke 80 I didn't have any birdies either. Perhaps going for birdies is causing you to take on too many risks??

I think you'll break 80 soon too. Please do us a favour though and start a new thread My Life (Sub 75) ;)

Had a really enjoyable game in Knightsbrook today. Just gone out to 12 after the weekend. 9 pars and 9 bogeys for 81 and 39 points. The easiest 39 of my life for sure. Hardly ever in trouble apart from poor drive and poor 2nd on 9 leaving 6 iron 3rd and very tricky 2 putt down hill to make 5. Boxed a putt for par 6 foot past on 11 and made the putt back. Other than that either make the green in reg and 2 putt or miss the green and chip to 20 feet and 2 putt. Could have been better if chipping closer. Walked off feeling I never missed a putt but never holed one - Know what I mean? Inside 5 feet nothing missed (sorry Greebo) but outside that nothing holed. Weird game but having recoverd from shoulder surgery feeling happy about the game and prospects again. Single figures sometime maybe soon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Sure how could ya go wrong there , a 50 yard sliced drive just ends up on the next fairway :):) Nice place though, love the greens

• Advertisement

Tones69 wrote: »
    Sure how could ya go wrong there , a 50 yard sliced drive just ends up on the next fairway :):) Nice place though, love the greens

6891 yards. You think slicing the ball will get you round Knightsbroob . NOB

Advertisement