Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

went through my kit tonight and put alot of it into the tin that my leatherman came in, works great. then emptied out my bob and looking at my hexi cooker i started thinking would i be better off with a beer can stove? It would prob save a bit of space as the beer can stove would fit into my steel mug but then im thinking id have to carry a bottle of alcohol....

Opinions from those who have used both?
    Just did the same thing with my leatherman tin i was amazed at what fits into it think ill make it my get home kit as the bag I use is over kill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Have been meaning to make a get home bag and keep it on the van wirh me, guess iv staryed now so will finish over the weekend. Now the decision of my 25 ltr hiking bag or my 65 ltr back pack. It could take me a day or 4 to get home depending where i am and i wear a suit to work so gonna need all my "work" clothes too

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

thinking about getting home without a car, most likely going to be urban bug out, anyone thought about a folding bike in the boot, or, even smaller a kick scooter? Could be a skateboard, but i can't use one.:cool:

bonniebede wrote: »
    thinking about getting home without a car, most likely going to be urban bug out, anyone thought about a folding bike in the boot, or, even smaller a kick scooter? Could be a skateboard, but i can't use one.:cool:
    Good idea but do you have the room in your boot to have it there all the time

grapeape wrote: »
    Good idea but do you have the room in your boot to have it there all the time

Yeah, good point, but maybe a really compact folder. A scooter no problem.

REality is my boot is so messy i hardly ever use it anyway!. So if I tidied it and filled it with survival equipment i wouldn't be any worse off!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Been working on my smaller GHB.
    Its now in a 15l rucksack but I will be getting a 25l so I can fit in clothes and misc in.

FAK + rain gear are currently separate but also grab-able. Also, 1lt aluminium water bottle which is always with me.

so contents:

1 x gas stove
    1 x gas cartridge
    1 x 1/4 cotton wool pleat
    1 x small Vaseline tub
    1 x survival blanket
    1 x bivvi
    1 x lighter
    1 x weatherproof matches + striker
    1 x flint
    1 x emergency whistle
    1 x compass
    1 x water purification tablets
    1 x neutralizing tablets
    1 x can opener
    1 x 12hr candle
    4 x 500ml water
    2 x tin salmon
    2 x dried pasta meals
    2 x noodles
    4 x cereal bars
    2 x hot chocolate powder
    1 x dextro energy tablets
    1 x notepad
    1 x pen
    1 x pencil
    2 x tissues
    1 x 3 led torch
    1 x swiss army knife
    1 x knife
    1 x rope
    1 x prescription tablets

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Its now in a 15l rucksack but I will be getting a 25l so I can fit in clothes and misc in.

FAK + rain gear are currently separate but also grab-able. Also, 1lt aluminium water bottle which is always with me.

so contents:

1 x gas stove
    1 x gas cartridge
    1 x small Vaseline tub
    1 x survival blanket
    1 x bivvi
    1 x lighter
    1 x flint
    1 x emergency whistle
    1 x compass
    1 x neutralizing tablets
    1 x can opener
    1 x 12hr candle
    4 x 500ml water
    2 x tin salmon
    2 x dried pasta meals
    2 x noodles
    4 x cereal bars
    2 x hot chocolate powder
    1 x notepad
    1 x pen
    1 x pencil
    2 x tissues
    1 x 3 led torch
    1 x swiss army knife
    1 x knife
    1 x rope
    1 x prescription tablets
    Good kit but id make 2 sugestions

1. Change the tissues for baby wipes, they are much stronger and much better for cleaning and you will use alot less every time you use them

2. Change the rope for paracord

Very good kit tho you would get fairly far with that and fitting in a 15 ltr bag is good goin

so contents:

1 x gas stove
    1 x gas cartridge
    1 x small Vaseline tub
    1 x survival blanket
    1 x bivvi
    1 x lighter
    1 x flint
    1 x emergency whistle
    1 x compass
    1 x neutralizing tablets
    1 x can opener
    1 x 12hr candle
    4 x 500ml water
    2 x tin salmon
    2 x dried pasta meals
    2 x noodles
    4 x cereal bars
    2 x hot chocolate powder
    1 x notepad
    1 x pen
    1 x pencil
    2 x tissues
    1 x 3 led torch
    1 x swiss army knife
    1 x knife
    1 x rope
    1 x prescription tablets
    Good kit but id make 2 sugestions

1. Change the tissues for baby wipes, they are much stronger and much better for cleaning and you will use alot less every time you use them

2. Change the rope for paracord

Very good kit tho you would get fairly far with that and fitting in a 15 ltr bag is good goin
    A hexi stove and tablets would be lighter and safer than the gas stove and can you can pick up both for less than €10

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

grapeape wrote: »
    A hexi stove and tablets would be lighter and safer than the gas stove and can you can pick up both for less than €10

Do you know where I would get a hexi stove in Dublin or for cheap postage?

Hahaha, actually I do have a packet of huggies baby wipes in the bag! had forgotten about them!

Millets or army bargains should have them. They save so much space because the tabs are stored inside the cooker which is about the size of 2 boxes of fags

• Advertisement

Do you know where I would get a hexi stove in Dublin or for cheap postage?

Hahaha, actually I do have a packet of huggies baby wipes in the bag! had forgotten about them!
    I got mine on ebay from a lad in Carlow got a couple of nonstick mess tins off of him too it was 15 for the lot if i find him again ill post a link to his ebay shop

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Right, I'm looking for suggestions. That Jolly Fat guy in the red suit left a Rush 72 bag behind over christmas and I've been slowly going through what I already have, and adding a few bits to it to make a GHB.

Work to my Home, approx 12k walking backroads
    Work to her parents home, approx 9k walking backroads
    Work to my parents, approx 40k.

EDC
    Leatherman Skeletool CX
    Led Lenser P3
    Approx 6m Paracord in a bracelet

In Vehicle
    Boots (Jollys)
    Led Lenser P14
    Heavy/Warm Sleeping bag

Currently the bag has
    Mora Companion Carbon knife
    Approx 60m Paracord
    Torch (LIDL Led)
    Spare AA & AAA batteries
    High-Vis Vest
    Poncho/Tarp 5 in 1 highlander jobbie, with approx 10m paracord wrapped around it .
    2 x Chemical Light sticks
    Trangia & 100mls Meths & stand in lunchbox.
    Bag with botton balls & Vaseline mushed together.
    Magnesium fire stick/Lighter/Matches (in plastic bag)
    Puritabs/Paracetamol/Astefor (Ibuprofen with codeine)
    Hand sanitizer gel.
    450ml Titanium Mug.
    Toilet paper & USB+AA Solar phone charger in plastic bag (& snap hooks for attaching to back of bag while walking)
    Light towel
    Baselayer shirt
    Fleece
    Trousers
    Boxers
    2 pairs heavy socks
    Waterproof & Warm top & Trousers (Paramo.. my walking hear)
    Balaclava/Hat & Gloves
    Emergency Bivvy
    1 Freeze Dried meal
    1 Emergency Ration.
    6 black plastic rubbish bags
    1 pack of facial wipes (25)
    Light Sleeping bag (Tesco 900g +12 Comfort)

Water, at the moment I'm carrying a 1.5L bottle.

I've slept in the bag and it really is a +12 bag (required a rapid re-clothing one night when temp dropped rapidly). I'd like to get another lightweight bag and a bivvy so seeking recommendations.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Get a bike?! Seriously, for those short distances you've way too much gear. A folding bike in your boot along with 2l of water and a couple of energy bars and you're sorted.

Failing that, a GHB really shouldn't be bigger than a school bag. I've compressed everything into a 6l bag worn around the waist and easily concealable under a bulky jacket. You would draw an awful lot of attention wandering along the road with that monster on your back.

Have you tried walking 15km or so with the setup as is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Get a bike?! Seriously, for those short distances you've way too much gear. A folding bike in your boot along with 2l of water and a couple of energy bars and you're sorted.

Failing that, a GHB really shouldn't be bigger than a school bag. I've compressed everything into a 6l bag worn around the waist and easily concealable under a bulky jacket. You would draw an awful lot of attention wandering along the road with that monster on your back.

Thats a thought thats been in my mind recently and I've decided to move away from wearing any "Go Tactical" type gear as that too would draw unnecessary attention. I'm looking for a medium sized climbing sac and finding something that is a muted color and not bright orange, bright blue or has that I'm off on an "spcial opp" look is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

It is a fair point. I guess in general im in that rough area, but not always, hence it's a bit bulkier.

I'm making the assumption that I may have to walk for a day or 2, but not much more.

I do have a bike and panniers, which I'll be using to get to work once things brighten up a bit.

Actually it's not all that big (maybe i'm biased ;)), I've walked with the weight/distance ok, but not specifically with this bag yet.

Does anyone else include a Radio in their bob?

In an emergeny on your route march home how are you going to know if there is any "useful" information being broadcast on whats going on. Not that I'd be believing every thing on the radio, but with LW I can at least compare what they are saying in the UK (BBC Radio 4) and whats being said here to get an idea.

I have a Roberts R984 nice and small and does FM/MW and most importantly LW. Home and car have larger radios that also recieve SW.

230164789.jpg

btw if you can hear Radio 4 LW then expect impending nulear war ;)
    The station has also been designated as the UK's national broadcaster in times of national emergency such as a war: if all other radio stations were forced to close, Radio 4 would still carry on broadcasting. It has been claimed that Radio 4 had an additional role during the Cold War: the commanders of nuclear-armed submarines believing that Britain had suffered nuclear attack were required to check if they could still receive Radio 4, and if they could not would open sealed orders which might authorize a retaliatory strike.
    Source of quote

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's on my wish list, but with the closing of BBC4 LW (source) I am looking for AM/FM/SW in as small a size as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

It's on my wish list, but with the closing of BBC4 LW (source) I am looking for AM/FM/SW in as small a size as possible.
    Definitely not on the small end of the scale, but there doesn't seem to be too many mini portables with SW at first glance.

Far too heavy for a bob but I keep quite a few old Roberts R871's (all from eBay under 30euro inc P&P and often much less) around the house and in the sheds MW/LW/FM/SW.

230169892.jpg

If I was buying another radio (:o I have far too many already) I think I'd go for a R9914
    230169896.jpg
    or if you don't want the LW or some of the featers the R9921 is similar, lighter and a good bit cheaper.

Sony also do some similar (quality and size) radios.

I'd heard the LW valve saga on Radio 4 last year, the problem the BCC face is that the few people that still listen on LW are some the most vocal listeners the BBC have got - even if many of them don't pay the licence fee ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a grundig FR200, its fairly solid unit that does the job. Has the normal wind up handle for self charging and a light. It lives in my camper van but I also have a grundig s450. Its big and expensive but handy at home as the reception is great.

With any portable SW radio the reception can often be poor, I use a couple of different trailing wire lengths to improve the signal. I have 10, 20 and 30 meters of insulated wire to connect to the telescopic aerial which significantly improves reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Does anyone else include a Radio in their bob?

In an emergeny on your route march home how are you going to know if there is any "useful" information being broadcast on whats going on. Not that I'd be believing every thing on the radio, but with LW I can at least compare what they are saying in the UK (BBC Radio 4) and whats being said here to get an idea.

I have a Roberts R984 nice and small and does FM/MW and most importantly LW. Home and car have larger radios that also recieve SW.

230164789.jpg

btw if you can hear Radio 4 LW then expect impending nulear war ;)

Source of quote

That is/was true about Radio 4.

If radio traffic went quite, a submarine Captain was to surface and tune into the Today show on BBC4.

If it wasn't broadcast, it meant something catastrophic had happened to London and he was to open the sealed letter given to him by the serving P.M.

The letter essentially gave him 3 options:
    1. Attack the nearest Soviet target.
    2. Head to N.Z or Oz.
    3. Do what he liked really, as 'your on your own now buddy, good luck'.
    Frightening but true apparently.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but on the bags themselves, anyone know a good retailer or brand to look out for?
    I get that going with cheap ones means they will be a lot less durable and likely fall apart at the most inopportune moment (e.g. running away from the invading aliens), but at the same time, I'd like to have enough left over to actually buy stuff to put in the bag!
    Ebay has plenty of cheaper models, but they don't exactly instill confidence. Like this one for example. Nice price and size, but it doesn't look like it would stand up to much lugging about.
    This one isn't much more and looks like it would be sturdier, but not knowing much about bags of the type, it's hard to tell.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but on the bags themselves, anyone know a good retailer or brand to look out for?
    I get that going with cheap ones means they will be a lot less durable and likely fall apart at the most inopportune moment (e.g. running away from the invading aliens), but at the same time, I'd like to have enough left over to actually buy stuff to put in the bag!
    Ebay has plenty of cheaper models, but they don't exactly instill confidence. Like this one for example. Nice price and size, but it doesn't look like it would stand up to much lugging about.
    This one isn't much more and looks like it would be sturdier, but not knowing much about bags of the type, it's hard to tell.

I've lots of different rucksacs from camping and waking but none of them fit my ideal for a bob, I'm looking for a climbing sac in a neutral colour from one of the big names in that market. I'm expecting to pay around 100euro probably more, however what I should be doing is buying a cheaper bag and just getting on with it in which case your 20-35euro in hand item is better than me never having the perfect bag. Why not buy the cheap one pack it and repack it so you have your bob ready while you decide what you really need in terms of size and durability. Another advantage of a cheap rucsac is that it might remain a bob and not end up used for another purpose - if you tie a lot of money up in a really good rucsac then you'll be tempted to use it.

I don't like to stand out from the crowd to much so thats why I'm looking for a neutral colour like browm or biege but on the other hand I don't want to go tactical and make it look like I'm military personel.

A lot of people recommend Karrimor and the Sabre 45 in particular.

But a trip to Great Outdoors or 53 Deg North at the moment with their sales on would be a good idea. (I'd love to know what they recommend for a BOB :D)

Another advantage of a cheap rucsac is that it might remain a bob and not end up used for another purpose - if you tie a lot of money up in a really good rucsac then you'll be tempted to use it.

And there in-lies another issue. Though I would keep it as a prepped BOB most of the time, I do have a few trips coming up over the next few years and would probably end up unpacking it for trips as all I have now is roller travel luggage and would like a backpack. Problem is I'm a lazy sod and would more than likely leave it unpacked after I got back! :rolleyes:
    I will check out some of the camping/outdoor shops over the next couple of weeks and see whats on sale.

And there in-lies another issue. Though I would keep it as a prepped BOB most of the time, I do have a few trips coming up over the next few years and would probably end up unpacking it for trips as all I have now is roller travel luggage and would like a backpack. Problem is I'm a lazy sod and would more than likely leave it unpacked after I got back! :rolleyes:
    I will check out some of the camping/outdoor shops over the next couple of weeks and see whats on sale.

Same reason I'll tolerate cheap multi tools - you pack them and have no incentive to use provided you have decent tools for everyday use. Better to have the cheap tool when needed than none at all.

Same reason I'll tolerate cheap multi tools - you pack them and have no incentive to use provided you have decent tools for everyday use. Better to have the cheap tool when needed than none at all.

Think that may be the way I'll have to go. Most of the contents I've built up for my BOB aren't high quality and are usually spares of everyday use items, so the bag should probably match.
    Great, now I need to buy 2 bags! :p

Handy trick lots of females have for using multiple handbags - pack your stuff in another little bag (you can actually buy these little multipocket holders) and then you can easily translate contents from one handbag to another.

To translate it to a BOB situation - pack all your bob gear in a dry sack, then put it all into your haversack. If you're going away and want to use it, just lift out the drysack ... when you come back, slip it into your haversack again and your bob is restored.

However, i prefer the dedicated bob/ghb option, THat way I can pack it in so that i know where emergency things are quickly, like first aid stuff, with lesser emergency things deeper in, like wash gear or dry clothes.

so I have one bag at home, one in car, both sitting beside hiking boots.

Only used cheap bags. Hopefully these bags will only once, then I'm bugging in.(one from dunnes E8, on from some hiking shop, not to dear). I do wnat a better bag for walking/camping, because i will expect it to be multiuse and rugged. If I have time before i have to run, i would swap out into that bag, but i would rather know i can grab and go, ie house fire, or such that is an instantaneous get out decision.

A mate of mine is a manager in tog24 so i am lucky enough to get a whopper discount :) its in the retail outlet in kildare village so prices are good anyway. I got my hiking bag which is also my bob and hunting bag and everything else bag about 2 years ago and its been well used and still no rips and its i. As new but dirty!! I paid about 20 quid for it and its 25ltr. My 65 ltr i got for trecking about 10 years ago, its been all over the world and roughed it accross austrailia for a year and is still perfect. Think it was 80 quid or so at the time. I think your better off spending the money on a decent bag because it will last a long time and always be comfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Worthwhile keeping an eye on the Aldi and Lidl websites too - they sometimes have decent quality bags at very reasonable prices.

Also, if it's convenient for you, keep an eye on the charity shops - I've seen some great bags for €10 to €15. You could even ask the manager to take your number and to give you a call if one comes in.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement