Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to build a gaming PC online, have budget of around €1000

Options
  • 29-10-2011 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

I would like to be able to play Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc at Ultra settings.

I have a good enough computer ATM but i've been told that it can't handle a GTX 580 fully. Here are my current specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 830 Processor, 2.80Ghz.
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7, 64 Bit.
    Nvidia Geforce GT 320.

I can run most current games with ease, for example when I started Fallout: New Vegas the ingame recommended I set my settings to high. I can play WoW, Sims 3 and Civ V easily though. I reckon I could play Skyrim on medium settings.

But anyway, i'd like to get a very good set-up. What do you guys recommend I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That processor and ram should be fine. You'll need a new graphics card that's for sure. Worst case scenario you may need a new power supply and case depending on what you currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

I know the graphics card is outdated, but someone said i'd need AM3 socket in my motherboard to fully utilize the GTX 580. Do you think my current set up could utilize the GTX 580?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

HovaBaby wrote: »
    I know the graphics card is outdated, but someone said i'd need AM3 socket in my motherboard to fully utilize the GTX 580. Do you think my current set up could utilize the GTX 580?

All the change in socket will do is let you add a newer processor to your computer and I don't think you need one. A motherboard with a new socket and the same processor won't do anything for performance. You processor will probably bottleneck the GTX 580 slightly but not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

€1000 would buy you a good system but what you have isn't too bad if you had a graphics upgrade.
    Do you already have the 580?

What kind of a system is this? Is it built system or Dell/HP or something?
    What about the power supply unit? Is it able to handle a card like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

How long until the Bulldozer chips are out and will they fit AM3?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    €1000 would buy you a good system but what you have isn't too bad if you had a graphics upgrade.
    Do you already have the 580?

What kind of a system is this? Is it built system or Dell/HP or something?
    What about the power supply unit? Is it able to handle a card like that?

It is from HP's Pavilion 6600's series.

My power supply is 300W, so I would need an upgrade in that department. Reviews say you need 600W for the GT 580.

(@ Genghiz Cohen, I don't know).

would the 580 fit in that case, I think they are a big card.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02534495&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269976&prodTypeId=12454

Above is the link to my comp specs, it contains it's details directly from the manufactures website. Here is what is says on the slots:

Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
    3 PCI Express x1 slots
    1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

It appears I would have the proper slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭thysol

Your CPU is still reasonably fine, GTX 580 is definitely overkill for it though. Get a Geforce GTX 560 Ti, its only ~22cm long, so it should fit in your case.

You will need a new Power supply. Get something like the Cougar A450 450W. And take a photo of your ATX power connector on your board. Sometimes in prebuilt PCs like Dell, HP etc. the ATX power connector is only compatible with the crap standard PSU that is already inside the PC.

Does "hardwareversand.de" build your PC if you order from them? Are you sure you're just ordering the components individually and you have to put the comp together yourself?

• Advertisement

There's not much info, but I don't think it uses a proprietary PSU, so you can probably just get your own. As far as I can see, the AMD tower systems are ok. The worst case of this is that some of Dell's had the same shape connectors with different voltages.
    I agree that a 580 is a bit much for that kind of a system and not the best value. 560ti or 6950 (or 570/6870 if you want to stretch it).
    Does "hardwareversand.de" build your PC if you order from them? Are you sure you're just ordering the components individually and you have to put the comp together yourself?

They'll build it for you for €20, aside from any heavy items (heavy heatsinks and graphics cards).

If I was to order a brand new computer i'd go with:

3.4GHz Intel Core i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor (overclocked 3.9ghz)
    1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    8192MB (4x2GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Windows 7, 64 Bit.
    750W PSU

That'd be the core. I got these items from dell's create your own pc on their UK website, they would build an Alienware Aurora. I know it'd cost around the €1,600-€1,700, which is well above the €1,000 mark but I can save hard plus I could sell my current comp for €300 to a cousin.

Do you guys think that would be a godo decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Do you guys think that would be a godo decision?

No.

No.

What do you think I should do? I browse "hardwareversand.de" but i'm not sure if I will make a mistake. For example if I wanted to install 2 GTX 580's Sli's, whether the motherboard would be big enough.

What do you think I should do?

Well, you could tell us everything you want your computer to have, and we could fill in the blanks. :)

Well i'd like to be able to run the newest games on ultra settings, with the FPS not going under 40-50. I have a 1080p monitor so no need for higher resolutions.

EDIT: Also, can you play American graphics cards here? I have seen a superclocked GTX 580 for $499 on amazon.com while the exact same one is £484 on amazon.co.uk. Even paying the income taxes on the GPU from America the total comes to €479 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I think you need to control your ideas and settle on a plan :)

You are considering changing from an off the line reasonably spec'd PC to 580's in SLI and a 2600K. All sounds good on paper.

First plan to upgrade your GPU in your current setup is both quick and cheap and will vastly improve your FPS. A 580 for that build is definately not the best investment. I would think a 6950 or a 560ti is your best bet and when/if you upgrade your whole system these will slot in nicely. I am not sure on the deal with upgrading your PSU.

A whole new system involves alot more expense but gives you alot more control over what you can do. Eur300 is enough for your current pc but hay if your cousin will pay :). Eur800-1000 approx will give you a top build using current generation parts which will last for a few years. Your talking 2500k and AMD 6950

All down to funds i guess. But dont go throwing money at parts that dont offer you good price vs performace.

Most of the time amazon.com don't ship hardware here. It's usually not worth it anyway with import duty and VAT. A graphics card is not dependent on area though.
    580s on HWV are around that price and below. You could overclock them yourself.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,243.30 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€186.75
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€138.71
    8GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10667 DDR3-1333 CL9|€37.46
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€79.68
    XFX PRO750W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply|€78.50
    EVGA GeForce GTX 580, 1536MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€413.84
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€165.78
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet|€33.80
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.99
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€91.79

Windows is German version as the English is out of stock (and dearer), I can give you a link for the English version if you want and you use the key that you buy here. There's a 128GB SSD in there. You don't really need that but the price of hard drives have gone through the roof as the result of floods so you'd be best off sticking with the SSD (and it's great speed) until hard drives drop again a few months down the line.
    You might like a different case but that's a very good with sound dampening material.
    750W would be enough for two 580s and some overclocking, but if you're doing a lot of overclocking (i.e., overvolting cards), you'll need more.

Keep in mind that the price of a 580 is the same as 2x560ti or 2x6950 which is better (aside from crossfire/SLI issues with any particular game/micro stuttering).

Would €37.86 really be enough for RAM? Do you think i'd need to spend more?

Do you think the ASRock P67 would be enough to hold 2 GTX 580's? Also is there a big difference between the i5 and i7 in processing?

Would €37.86 really be enough for RAM? Do you think i'd need to spend more?
    That is plenty for RAM, Geil make quality stuff.
    Do you think the ASRock P67 would be enough to hold 2 GTX 580's?

TBH, a single GTX580 slaughters every game that exists and will exist for the next while, two would be massive, massive overkill.
    Also what is the difference between the i5 and i7 in processing?

Not worth the difference in price, unless you plan on doing a lot of video processing.

• Advertisement

TBH, a single GTX580 slaughters every game that exists and will exist for the next while, two would be massive, massive overkill.

Exactly. Stick the €400 you'd spend on a second 580 in the bank and then buy a new card in three years time when you can't run everything at bleeding edge details.

With the 2 cards, it's just what I read about Battlefield 3. Appearently the developer said you'd need 2 GTX 580's to keep the game at ultra. That is why I based that on.

I know single GTX 580 can max out Crysis 2, Skryim, etc :)

With the 2 cards, it's just what I read about Battlefield 3. Appearently the developer said you'd need 2 GTX 580's to keep the game at ultra. That is why I based that on.

Lies, a single 560ti keeps it on ultra @ 40FPS

I read that too, but it's seems to be from old sources long before the game came out.

OK!

But is the ASRock P67 capable of holding 2 GTX 580's? If I wanted to add 1 in 3-4 years time.

The extreme4? Yes.

By the time 3 or 4 years have gone by, the midrange cards could be more powerful than two 580s, so it might not be worth your while by then!

How long would my new setup be good for?

I'm not exactly sure how many times it would be more powerful than a console as PC tech is really leaving them far behind in the dust. If the same consoles stick around for another while, it will stay good.

The processor is likely to keep up for a long time, especially when overclocked. Games rely more heavily on graphics cards and this market moves quickly so this is likely to be the part that will be replaced first (hence recommendations of getting a 570 now and putting spare money toward your next card).

If a piece of your computer is out of stock for a couple of days, does hardwareversand.de put your computer aside until the piece comes in, the install it and ship it to you? I wouldn't want my computer to be send a couple of days previous then the other piece sent later.

Also, will hardwareversand.de send a UK/Ireland plug with the computer? ie not the mainland europe plug.

• Advertisement

bump, still not sure about my above questions.

Advertisement