Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an unfinished house

Options
  • 29-10-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm buying an unfinished house with some work still to be done.My solicoter is doing the searches etc,The property is plastered outside,roofed and tiled,windows and doors are in,first fix electrics and plumbing,what quarantee's should i look for that the works have been done to the correct standards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

'what quarantee's should i look for that the works have been done to the correct standards? '

The only guarantee that works have been carried out to the correct standard will be contained in the 'Certificate of Compliance' which will have been completed by the original architect who supervised the project (or at least the pouring of foundations). As the final cert will not have been produced you will require and interim cert from the original architect which needs to be provided as part of the sale. I would also suggest having your own engineer or architect inspect the works/ conduct a structural survey and give an opinion. You will require a 'wiring cert' to have the ESB connected and as such will have a RECI registered elec. look over the wiring to certify its safey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Do a phone around locally to see If anyone will complete the wiring, this could be a big problem, getting a RECI person to sign off on someone else's work. ESB will not connect without this and decent electricians are obviously very reticent about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd suggest seeing if you could get whoever did the first fix wiring to finish out the job. Then they'd be certifying their own work.

Might be no harm to look into whether the original architect is still in business so you've someone to pursue if the Certificate of Compliance was signed off on sub-standard work.

Advertisement