Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhapy with Higgins as president.

• 29-10-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

Is anyone else unhappy with MDH being elected as president?
    I dont see the attraction towards him, and never had. I didnt even give him a preference. I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isnt the right direction we should be going. But I suppose, the Irish people have spoken, and were each entitled to our own opinion, but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I did not vote for him, but he is there now let's give him a chance I don't think he will be a bad president he seems to be a good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Age is just a number :cool:

He spent the last month campaigning all over the country and using twitter like a teenager. Then his team took that over :D
    And spent decades as a TD going to all sorts of meetings. Galway West isn't like Dublin or Cork, it's a very large area to cover

He has more energy then people far younger, I don't know what else he can do to prove it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

FTS wrote: »
    I dont see the attraction towards him, and never had. I didnt even give him a preference. I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isnt the right direction we should be going. But I suppose, the Irish people have spoken, and were each entitled to our own opinion, but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

Who did you vote for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't see the attraction towards him, and never had. I didn't even give him a preference. I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isn't the right direction we should be going. But I suppose, the Irish people have spoken, and were each entitled to our own opinion, but I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me.

Doesn't really matter now does it, Its over and MDH is president and all the people & political parties of Ireland should support & respect him,IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I agree, it would have been nicer to have a younger more suitable candidate but, eh. . . .there wasn't one!

The best candidate won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

Who did you vote for?

I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one, Mary Davis number two and Martin McGuinness number 3. They were my favoutites from following the campaigns from the start. I thought the women presidents of the past did a great job representing the country, as they appear warmer and more inviting, and thought Scallon and Davis could continue. And I KNOW Im gonna get all sorts of "why did you vote for dana blah blah blah" but honestly, out of the 7, i thought they were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What I want to know is who were the 100,000 who voted for Mitchell?

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

I think I was a bit ageist about Higgins myself over the last few weeks.

The truth is, if he appeared younger and had the same accomplishments/drive people would be all over him.

That's the definition of ageism. Oh and I agree that the two Mary's were decent presidents but voting for someone because they're a woman is sexist. Lord knows we've had to put up with the equality issues long enough without people needing to be told this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one

I was sort of with you up until this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

but voting for someone because they're a woman is sexist

I didnt vote for them purley for the fact that they were women, in mye yes they were the best candidates. And I didnt just vote for women, mcguinness got in there too :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

That doesn't really make any sense TBH.

What is a modern Ireland and why can't a 70 year old man have modern beliefs?

Sounds completely ageist to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old?

Is there no place for 70 year olds in your new "modern" Ireland ?

What's the cut-off age ? Just to prepare myself.

And WTF would Dana offer your new "modern" Ireland ? :rolleyes: Seriously, I would love to hear an answer to this. What was your thought process ?

I'm guessing that this was the first ever time you voted, am I right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

MDH was best of a bad lot. You're going on about 'a modern ireland' and yet you voted for Dana??? Her views and attitudes are totally outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

What exactly was new or modern about any of the candidates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one, Mary Davis number two and Martin McGuinness number 3. They were my favoutites from following the campaigns from the start. I thought the women presidents of the past did a great job representing the country, as they appear warmer and more inviting, and thought Scallon and Davis could continue. And I KNOW Im gonna get all sorts of "why did you vote for dana blah blah blah" but honestly, out of the 7, i thought they were the best.

You only voted for Scallon and Davis because they were women? A tad sexist, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hang on a minute. You think M D Higgins is too old and doesn't represent modern Ireland (whatever that means) but Scallon does? :confused:

Ridiculous thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

jprender wrote: »
    Is there no place for 70 year olds in your new "modern" Ireland ?

What's the cut-off age ? Just to prepare myself.

And WTF would Dana offer your new "modern" Ireland ? :rolleyes: Seriously, I would love to hear an answer to this. What was your thought process ?

I'm guessing that this was the first ever time you voted, am I right ?

she could offer ireland "all kinds of everything" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland
    I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one

Does not compute.

she could offer ireland "all kinds of everything" :D

"that remind me of HUGH ! "

Michael D last year. He's far from a spent force :cool:

• Advertisement

"that remind me of HUGH ! "

hugh who? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think Higgins represents what people wAnt Ireland to be associated with. Wisdom, composure and somebody you feel comfortable dealing with.

In truth Gallagher was a far better representation of what we are about. Putting economy before people, not letting the truth get in way of your image and then ultimately crucifying a person who reflects the majority of the electorate presuming that this means weve learned our lesson.

At least voting anybody but FF gave us a real change!! No no, wait a minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

The OP is looking for a modern Ireland and votes for Dana!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I thought we were supposed to being opting for a new 'modern' Ireland, and we elect a 70 year old? I honestly think that the image of sending out an older man as the representative isnt the right direction we should be going.
    Yes, because voting for a religious nut is opting for a new 'modern' Ireland - it would be more like moving us back to the 1950's. This thread and your voting choices sound ageist and sexist to me. Thank zeus this thinking is now a minority in 'modern' Ireland.

hugh who? :confused:

Hugh Morgan (Morgan Fuels).

Dammit, i thought that was funny :(

deman wrote: »
    The OP is looking for a modern Ireland and votes for Dana!??

thats like something mr. bean would do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Really, I'd have had serious issues if Dana or McGuinness got in. Honestly, I think it's disgraceful the number of votes the latter got.
    Higgins seems grand.

i kinda thougt you ment hugh grant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There's a lot of ageism on this thread. Michael D is as sharp as a razor and very energetic, whereas some people not well out of their twenties have lost what little bit of momentum they ever had.:D

This lady, Mae West, had a mirror on her bedroom ceiling when she was in her eighties. As she explained. "I still like to know how I'm doin'.";)

Give Michael D a while to see how he's doing before you start beefing about him.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

maelegs.jpg

• Advertisement

i kinda thougt you ment hugh grant biggrin.gif

I thought he meant that lad from the Fun Loving Criminals.

Dana, Hugh Grant, and the Fun Loving Criminals.

How come that never came out on Frontline ?

Turpentine wrote: »
    I thought he meant that lad from the Fun Loving Criminals.

LOL :D

Dana, Hugh Grant, and the Fun Loving Criminals.

How come that never came out on Frontline ?

They're probably saving the publicity to help elevate a sleazy re-sexed mix of "All Kinds of Everything" to Christmas No.1 in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

david norris and michael d were my choices in my opinion the best of a crappy lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You condemn Higgins for not representing a modern Ireland and vote for Dana?

Dear lord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I gave Gallagher my number one, but I had little problem giving Higgins my second preference.

He is a safe pair of hands and will represent us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jonnie.B

Higgins was involved in nearly all major social change in Ireland in recent history, so who better to represent a modern Ireland.

this tread is going no where , i really dont see any point in keeping it open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

However unhapy [sic] the OP is re Higgins, it can't surpass the equivalent disgust and embarrassment that I would feel had McGuinness, Gallagher or Norris gotten elected.

this tread is going no where , i really dont see any point in keeping it open
    one of those posts which momentarily confuse me when I realise that the thread is still open and the poster isn't a moderator.
    wannabe mods.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    However unhapy [sic] the OP is re Higgins, it can't surpass the equivalent disgust and embarrassment that I would feel had McGuinness, Gallagher or Norris gotten elected.

true that :)

Kadongy wrote: »
    one of those posts which momentarily confuse me when I realise that the thread is still open and the poster isn't a moderator.
    wannabe mods.

i know well i would love to have the power to close treads and ban people , sure thats way better than being god :D

i know well i would love to have the power to close treads and ban people , sure thats way better than being god :D
    see what you did? Now everyone has stopped posting :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Agree completely OP (except for Dana - not the most progressive vote there). I think people will only realise it when he has to meet another head of state. It's entirely the wrong image.

Also he is very small for 70 years of age. Given the fact as you get older at that age you more and more rapidly get smaller what size will he be in 2 or 3 years time!:eek: It's a silly image all together.

But then the country have voted for that image.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Agree completely OP (except for Dana - not the most progressive vote there). I think people will only realise it when he has to meet another head of state. It's entirely the wrong image.

Also he is very small for 70 years of age. Given the fact as you get older at that age you more and more rapidly get smaller what size will he be in 2 or 3 years time! It's a silly image all together.

Alternative images include a catholic extremist who pretends people are trying to kill her, a guy who killed lots of innocent people, and a guy who has weird views on pederastery and has been shown to have misused his position in related matters.

I have no idea how you can make this argument about the image portrayed of Ireland while implying McGuinness would have been a good choice. What image would that give to the UK and to the USA (with their anti-terrorism stance), never mind any other countries? And relations with those two countries are particularly important for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

darkman2 wrote: »

Also he is very small for 70 years of age. Given the fact as you get older at that age you more and more rapidly get smaller what size will he be in 2 or 3 years time!:eek: It's a silly image all together.

http://i.imgur.com/DveKw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I didnt vote for them purley for the fact that they were women, in mye yes they were the best candidates. And I didnt just vote for women, mcguinness got in there too :P

But your first 2 preferences WERE women, and you just said this:
    I voted Dana Rosemary Scallon number one, Mary Davis number two and Martin McGuinness number 3. They were my favoutites from following the campaigns from the start. I thought the women presidents of the past did a great job representing the country, as they appear warmer and more inviting, and thought Scallon and Davis could continue

So actually, you have stated that you voted for them because they were women, and yes, that is sexist. Dana represents the elderly right wing Christian view, as for Davis, her only marketable quality on every interview seemed to be that she was a big player in the special olympics (I think she mustn't have realised that it was the role of president on offer). As for your token male vote, McGuinness is someone who admits he was a terrorist, and couldn't bring himself to call the killing of innocents by the IRA "murder" whenever interviewed or even directly asked to (he just dodged the question).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A religious fanatic whose only real claim to fame was when she was used donkeys years ago to win a song contest with the Awh factor, a money and expenses grabbing quango queen who sat on boards of several state and semi state organisations she knew nothing about and another religious terrorist who was responsible for murdering people.
    Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There's a lot of ageism on this thread. Michael D is as sharp as a razor and very energetic, whereas some people not well out of their twenties have lost what little bit of momentum they ever had.:D

This lady, Mae West, had a mirror on her bedroom ceiling when she was in her eighties. As she explained. "I still like to know how I'm doin'.";)

Give Michael D a while to see how he's doing before you start beefing about him.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

maelegs.jpg
    Michael D has already put this picture on the bedroom ceiling in the Áras:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I'm disappointed because I feel the media brainwashed people into voting for him by not subjecting him to the scrutiny of the rest of the candidates. They set out to assassinate the character of all the others. I wanted a debate on policy. What we got instead was the worst brand of LBJ "Let him deny it" politics. The dirtiest election in the history of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bristolian

I agree with what many people have said on these boards that we could have done with a younger president but I think MDH will do okay as long as he remains healthy and energetic. Gallagher's actual vote is quite remarkable considering all the negativity and dirty tricks that were aimed at him during the campaign. It show's that he was actually the best candidate. But for Sinn Fein and their lies, and Pat Kenny and his unethical and dishonest intervention on the Frontline debate, he would have been elected.

The focus after this must be directed at Sinn Fein - on what they believe and what they have done to drag our country through the mud for forty years. It must also be directed at RTE and their biased approach. There is no way a dubious tweet would have been used on the BBC, or any other worthwhile media outlet, to bring a good candidate down. Sean did not do anything wrong except having a lack political experience and nous which would have seen him through the debate safely. He handled the ambush badly that's for sure.

The one comfort I take today is that Sean still trounced MMcG and Sinn Fein were eliminated. Hopefully the Irish people will never let this dark force anywhere near power in this country. At times of economic stress and suffering unscrupulous organisations like SF can rise and threaten democracy so we need to be very vigilant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement